We just left Moody's Namena Island Resort today, and though we are excited to continue our adventures through Fiji it was bittersweet to leave. The experience was hard to describe, at once authentic and also a throwback to a different type of vacation. Tom Moody has spent years creating an ecologically correct resort before it was fashionable. He created, out of nothing, a working community on a dry island that had never been settled by anyone in recorded history. He created a waterworks using rainwater, composting toilets, solar lighting, and uses fresh fruits, vegetables and seafood from the island and surrounding sea. The food was amazing and it shows that he has had the same cook (Kelly) for 17 years. Like any Fijian village, the staff are mostly related and all from neighboring Vuana Levu, particularly the area around Savusavu. The service was impeccable and gracious. Our bure (cabin) had an unbelievable view of then Kora Sea and the Namena Reef. We were constantly entertained by Red-footed boobies, Frigate birds, cute (!) fruit bats and an assortment of smaller birds like Pacific doves, kingfishers and Banded Rales. The diving was exciting, beautiful and visually stunning, and our dive master George was terrific (as were the boat driver Vitale and Gina our dive helper). The reef, bohmies and the amazing collection of soft and hard corals, nudibranchs, sharks, barracudas, Spanish Mackerel, eels, giant clams, banded shrimp, etc were magical and pristine. Mr. Moody has mandated that 90% of his island be a nature preserve, and established a marine preserve to protect the surrounding barrier reef. I cannot say enough about Namena, except don't go if you are not a bit adventurous. It is not for anyone, especially if you want to stay connected to the outside world. But, uh, I think that is the point. Just don't tell everyone...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Namena Island Resort is a privately owned Fiji island resort. 6 Bure's (cottages) strategically located to maximize ocean views and enjoy the ocean breezes. Maximum guest capacity 12 people. 3 gorgeous private beaches. Namena is rated the "Best Dive Destination In Fiji" and ranked as one of the "Top 10 Dive Destinations in the World". Namena Island is surrounded by a reef designated as a marine reserve with over 22 world famous dive sites all within a 10 minute boat ride from our boat jetty. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda so you can book your Namena Island Dive Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Moody`s Namena Hotel Savusavu
- Moodys Namena Hotel
- Moodys Namena Resort All Inclusive
- Namena Island Dive Resort Fiji/Savusavu