We stayed 6 nights. All of the employees were friendly, cheerful and called us by name. The rooms are large. The decor is very simple. The bed and pillows were comfortable and the air conditioning effective. The place was quiet and relaxing. The all-inclusive food was good, cocktails were expensive.
The resort organizes activities, but we were not inclined to participate. The resort seemed well suited to families with children. I missed having a beach to walk on. But enjoyed listening to the birds.
After subtracting our diving costs, we paid about $370 a night (including inter-island air from Nadi.) The scuba diving was OK but not spectacular. The dive operator provided close supervision and personal service.
This was a one-week rest stop for us after a busy two-weeks of scuba diving elsewhere. Since we were already in Fiji, (and have been to four other resorts in Fiji) we figured why not try another resort. We did not have any agenda or goals. Excess baggage fees of about $70 USD were charge both going and coming on the small inter-island carrier because we were carrying scuba gear.
I would have liked to use the internet, but it was so expensive, I skipped it. There were only a few people at the resort and half of them seemed to be involved in building personal condos up the hill. They were staying at the resort checking on building progress.
Recently, we spent $50 a night in Ubud, Bali for a lovely hotel over an immense expanse of rice paddies. This included breakfast, custom-cooked and served on our terrace. If you throw in another $100 a day for food, the total comparable cost would be $150 in Bali versus $370 here. I hear that the new owner of the Koro Sun is planning to upgrade the resort and is open to suggestions on how to improve things. So, this resort is still in the process of forming its full identity. Of course, it is way cheaper than the $1000+ a night destination resorts in Fiji that provide total ambiance and luxury.
I had looked forward to going to Fiji because it is "so close," compared to other places in Southeast Asia where we scuba dive. Yet, getting there was not easy, because Air Pacific --at the last minute--cancelled our flight due to mechanical problems, after checking our bags and having us wait for several hours at the gate in Los Angeles. Then 400 angry people mobbed the counter trying to get hotel vouchers and stayed up til 3:30 AM checking into their hotels. We were rebooked on a flight 24 hours later, and routed through Brisbane, Australia. On the trip home, Air Pacific delayed the flight due to mechanical problems for two hours, causing many people to miss connections. I thanked God that the plane finally got off the ground.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our northern unspoiled location offers you the genuine warmth and friendliness of the Fijian people, beautiful lush tropical surroundings, and warm, impossibly clear waters. In a remote setting that defines paradise, Koro Sun Resort & Rainforest Spa immerses you in a genuine Fijian experience that's nirvana to the core. In the unspoiled native north on "Fiji's other big island" of Vanua Levu, this 160-acre sanctuary was born of a nature lover's dream. The tropical retreat is etched within a coconut plantation that's encircled by lush rainforests at the edge of a stunning private lagoon. From the moment you arrive, the Koro Sun staff embraces you like family. They greet you with a song that welcomes you to your home away from home. Certainly, the Fijians are known around the globe for being the most warm and friendly islands on earth.That hospitality - coupled with our diverse accommodations and recreation - has made Fiji's Koro Sun Resort an international favorite for relaxing holidays, active family vacations and magical romantic getaways. You may experience the latter in our brand new Edgewater Bures, with lagoon front location. Our 43 private bures and villas are spacious, individually appointed decor and fully air-conditioned. Your stay is all-inclusive - from airport transfers to bountiful gourmet fare and a flurry of non-motorized water sport activities and exclusive diving at the world-famous Namena Marine Reserve with Namena Divers Inc now based at Koro Sun Resort. Beverages are additional. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Hotels.com and Jetsetter so you can book your Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Koro Sun Hotel Savusavu
- Koro Sun Resort All Inclusive
- Koro Sun Resort And Rainforest Spa Fiji/Savusavu