“OK, good food, quiet, no beach, a bit over-priced” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa

Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Savusavu
San Francisco, California
“OK, good food, quiet, no beach, a bit over-priced”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2007

We stayed 6 nights. All of the employees were friendly, cheerful and called us by name. The rooms are large. The decor is very simple. The bed and pillows were comfortable and the air conditioning effective. The place was quiet and relaxing. The all-inclusive food was good, cocktails were expensive.

The resort organizes activities, but we were not inclined to participate. The resort seemed well suited to families with children. I missed having a beach to walk on. But enjoyed listening to the birds.

After subtracting our diving costs, we paid about $370 a night (including inter-island air from Nadi.) The scuba diving was OK but not spectacular. The dive operator provided close supervision and personal service.

This was a one-week rest stop for us after a busy two-weeks of scuba diving elsewhere. Since we were already in Fiji, (and have been to four other resorts in Fiji) we figured why not try another resort. We did not have any agenda or goals. Excess baggage fees of about $70 USD were charge both going and coming on the small inter-island carrier because we were carrying scuba gear.

I would have liked to use the internet, but it was so expensive, I skipped it. There were only a few people at the resort and half of them seemed to be involved in building personal condos up the hill. They were staying at the resort checking on building progress.

Recently, we spent $50 a night in Ubud, Bali for a lovely hotel over an immense expanse of rice paddies. This included breakfast, custom-cooked and served on our terrace. If you throw in another $100 a day for food, the total comparable cost would be $150 in Bali versus $370 here. I hear that the new owner of the Koro Sun is planning to upgrade the resort and is open to suggestions on how to improve things. So, this resort is still in the process of forming its full identity. Of course, it is way cheaper than the $1000+ a night destination resorts in Fiji that provide total ambiance and luxury.

I had looked forward to going to Fiji because it is "so close," compared to other places in Southeast Asia where we scuba dive. Yet, getting there was not easy, because Air Pacific --at the last minute--cancelled our flight due to mechanical problems, after checking our bags and having us wait for several hours at the gate in Los Angeles. Then 400 angry people mobbed the counter trying to get hotel vouchers and stayed up til 3:30 AM checking into their hotels. We were rebooked on a flight 24 hours later, and routed through Brisbane, Australia. On the trip home, Air Pacific delayed the flight due to mechanical problems for two hours, causing many people to miss connections. I thanked God that the plane finally got off the ground.

• Liked — I liked the quietness of the resort and the friendly Fijian staff
  • Disliked — no problems, but the decor could be upgraded with artwork in the rooms and in the restaurant
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Josaia R, General Manager at Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa, responded to this review, February 2, 2015
Happy New Year From the Koro Sun Resort Family.

Thank you for your review back in May 2007.

My name is Josaia Rayawa ("JR"). My wife, Margie and I are the new Co-General Managers at Koro Sun Resort & Rainforest Spa. We find this a great opportunity for us to introduce ourselves. Margie and I joined Koro Sun Resort in 2014.

We hope to be able to encourage you to come visit Koro Sun again. We are in the throes of including 8 new floating bures/villas on the lagoon, the first of its kind in Fiji.

Do let us know if you want us to keep you in the loop on the progress. My email is jr@korosunresort.com

Koro Sun Resort & Rainforest Spa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2007

my friend and i just got back from the koro sun resort and it was truly amazing. we had come from denarau, fiji and we found savusavu to be more authentic, rustic, and beautiful. the BEST part of our trip was the people. the fijians are the NICEST people i have ever encountered, and i have traveled around the world. like the other reviews have stated, the staff knew our first names when we arrived, we were handed drinks, they sung to us, they performed for us... we were SO IMPRESSED with the food and how it was prepared that they even let us see and help prepare in the kitchen one night because of our interest. by the end of the trip, we had tears in our eyes saying goodbye (we were there for six days, hurricane season, so there were not many other people there- we became close with them.)

colin, the dive master, is so cool and even arranged a night dive for us. WE COULDN'T GET ENOUGH OF THE DIVING. we dove everyday.

if you are not a nature-lover, and if you need a tv... don't do it. but if you really want a great vacation, a hideaway, and feel like you are in another world, go for it. the pace was slow... no clocks... and everyone reminds you that you are on "fiji time."

we loved it.
joelle and brooke

• Liked — the people
  • Disliked — nothing, really
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with friends
5 Thank middlepath
Happy New Year From the Koro Sun Resort Family.

Thank you for your review back in February 2007.

Seattle, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2006

While diving with the on-site dive shop at Koro Sun, we actually stayed at Hot Spring Hotel in town, so our comments only relate to their dive shop. Collin, the shop's owner, does what he says and says what he does. He arranged on time pick-ups from and returns to the Hot Spring Hotel in Savu Savu for us. He goes out of his way to make sure you have the best diving experience, weather permitting. If we ever go back there, we will dive with Koro Sun without a blink. The dive boat also has a head. Sam, one of their dive-masters, shows you the dive sites as if they were his backyard. Our favorite site was Dungeons & Dragons with lots of swim-thrus, it was developed by Collin. They allowed us to leave our gear with them even though we were staying somewhere else.

Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
Happy New Year From the Koro Sun Resort Family.

Thank you for your review back in December 2006.

Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2006

Our experience at the Koro Sun Resort exceeded all expectations from top to bottom. The food (a fusion of Fijian and Indian) was top notch, the location pristine, the accomodations romantic (fresh flowers on the bed everyday), the weather beautiful, the water amazing (corals, sea life and shells galore), the activities plentiful (kayaks, diving, nature hikes, town trip, pearl farm visit) and the people as nice as can be. Even the other guests at the resort were friendly and sociable. I can't say enough good things about this resort , the people and it's location.

Nestled between the ocean and the rainforest only a short distance from the Savusavu airport we felt as though we were worlds away from the hustle and bustle. Coconut trees a plenty, smiles everywhere we looked, and songs being sung for guests and for fun. It was so easy to let our cares melt away and adopt the joyful Fijian attitude of the people at Koro Sun. We were so relaxed and pampered that by the end of our stay it was hard to say goodbye. We give this vacation and the resort an A+. Jennifer and Nick Termini, Los Angeles

• Liked — The people (owner and staff) and the location
  • Disliked — The patio furniture
  • Tips/Secrets — For an unobstructed ocean view ask for a bure at the farthest end of the golf course
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DesignEditPhotoLuv

California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2006

We stayed at the Koro Sun Resort for 7 nights. The food was the best we had in our three weeks of travel on three different islands and 5 resorts. Maybe the best we have ever had at any resort. However, it is the friendliness of the staff that made our stay the best! We felt that we were part of a family and always treated with kindness and respect. The bures were very nice and had plenty of room and a fun shower that made you feel like you were outdoors, but very private. The resort offered plenty of activities every day. We dove with Koro Sun Dive for 5 day, which provided excellent service and a ‘can do’ attitude. Our favorite dive was called Dream House. The Dive Master and owner of the dive facilities name is Collin and in the 120 dives that I have done, he has been my favorite Dive Master. He and his staff takes great care of your and provides for a safe experience while providing challenging dives at your request. He is willing to listen to what you need from your diving and will provide insights on how to improve your diving abilities if asked. He really cares!! Between the food, staff, and diving, Koro Sun provided us with one of the best travel experiences we have ever had! The only down side that I can see for the future is the owner of the resort is trying to sell the land around the resort for very high prices. With the development will come the loss of the beauty and charm that this resort provides.

• Liked — The staff and diving.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple

la, ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2006

We just came back from the most perfect honeymoon at Koro Sun resort. We stayed a few nights at a high end resort on the main island but wow what a difference to get to the outer islands. The small intimate setting this resort provided, along with the great service and super friendly staff really made this vacation everything and more than what we expected. We found the resort to provide areas for socializing as well as areas of privacy and romance! They even set up special candle light dinners on the beach for us on several occassions (very accommodating staff).

I am usually not one to write on these reviews however after having read a previous review I felt compelled to write and share our experience as I strongly disagreed with their comments. There were families at the resort during our stay as well, but we felt the staff/management did a wonderful job in accommodating each guests needs. We also felt the resort lay out provides for both families as well as honeymooners with no problem.

Thank you Koro Sun for a most memorable honeymoon --- to all of you out there this vacation spot is a must!

Stayed October 2006
5 Thank lagal

Southern Hemisphere
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2006

Hi there, this was a pretty good resort, but didn't measure up to its marketing image as we expected. Our view was that we were stepping into a romantic and secluded getaway, perfect for couples and honeymooners.

Unfortunately there were uncontrolled kids that couldn't be contained by their parents or hotel management. The hotel marketing says that pools are segregated for kids and there are early meal times for kids. However these guidelines weren't observed by the parents or staff. Unfortunately staff that were meant to be looking after everyone become pseudo baby sitters.

Also our drinks and activities bill was overcharged by F$100 (their mistake in adding it up). So well worth checking at the end. Drinks were expensive, especially wine. Some activities were charged out (seemed a bit opportunistic).

Food was good, staff friendly, facilities good and spa was great. Just wish that the families that decided to turn it into the Brady Bunch vacation special could be responsible and if not, then the hotel should have had a quiet word. Others had a similar opinion.....

Such a shame, it wouldn't take much to make this top shelf.

• Liked — Bure's were unique, staff attentive, location, location, location
  • Disliked — Lack of kid's discipline and mngt enforcing the rules.
  • Tips/Secrets — If a couple, book in Bure 1 or 3
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank Swig
Happy New Year From the Koro Sun Resort Family.

Thank you for your review back in October 2006.

Koro Sun Resort & Rainforest Spa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Savusavu
Namale the Fiji Islands Resort & Spa
#7 of 13 in Savusavu
Korovesi Sunshine Villas
Korovesi Sunshine Villas
#9 of 13 in Savusavu

Been to Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa? Share your experiences!