“Best Vacation Ever!”

Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Savusavu
Los Angeles
“Best Vacation Ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2006

Our experience at the Koro Sun Resort exceeded all expectations from top to bottom. The food (a fusion of Fijian and Indian) was top notch, the location pristine, the accomodations romantic (fresh flowers on the bed everyday), the weather beautiful, the water amazing (corals, sea life and shells galore), the activities plentiful (kayaks, diving, nature hikes, town trip, pearl farm visit) and the people as nice as can be. Even the other guests at the resort were friendly and sociable. I can't say enough good things about this resort , the people and it's location.

Nestled between the ocean and the rainforest only a short distance from the Savusavu airport we felt as though we were worlds away from the hustle and bustle. Coconut trees a plenty, smiles everywhere we looked, and songs being sung for guests and for fun. It was so easy to let our cares melt away and adopt the joyful Fijian attitude of the people at Koro Sun. We were so relaxed and pampered that by the end of our stay it was hard to say goodbye. We give this vacation and the resort an A+. Jennifer and Nick Termini, Los Angeles

• Liked — The people (owner and staff) and the location
  • Disliked — The patio furniture
  • Tips/Secrets — For an unobstructed ocean view ask for a bure at the farthest end of the golf course
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DesignEditPhotoLuv
Josaia R, General Manager at Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa, responded to this review, February 2, 2015

Thank you for your review back in November 2006.

My name is Josaia Rayawa ("JR"). My wife, Margie and I are the new Co-General Managers at Koro Sun Resort & Rainforest Spa. We find this a great opportunity for us to introduce ourselves. Margie and I joined Koro Sun Resort in 2014.

We hope to be able to encourage you to come visit Koro Sun again. We are in the throes of including 8 new floating bures/villas on the lagoon, the first of its kind in Fiji.

Do let us know if you want us to keep you in the loop on the progress. My email is jr@korosunresort.com

Koro Sun Resort & Rainforest Spa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2006

We stayed at the Koro Sun Resort for 7 nights. The food was the best we had in our three weeks of travel on three different islands and 5 resorts. Maybe the best we have ever had at any resort. However, it is the friendliness of the staff that made our stay the best! We felt that we were part of a family and always treated with kindness and respect. The bures were very nice and had plenty of room and a fun shower that made you feel like you were outdoors, but very private. The resort offered plenty of activities every day. We dove with Koro Sun Dive for 5 day, which provided excellent service and a ‘can do’ attitude. Our favorite dive was called Dream House. The Dive Master and owner of the dive facilities name is Collin and in the 120 dives that I have done, he has been my favorite Dive Master. He and his staff takes great care of your and provides for a safe experience while providing challenging dives at your request. He is willing to listen to what you need from your diving and will provide insights on how to improve your diving abilities if asked. He really cares!! Between the food, staff, and diving, Koro Sun provided us with one of the best travel experiences we have ever had! The only down side that I can see for the future is the owner of the resort is trying to sell the land around the resort for very high prices. With the development will come the loss of the beauty and charm that this resort provides.

• Liked — The staff and diving.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple

la, ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2006

We just came back from the most perfect honeymoon at Koro Sun resort. We stayed a few nights at a high end resort on the main island but wow what a difference to get to the outer islands. The small intimate setting this resort provided, along with the great service and super friendly staff really made this vacation everything and more than what we expected. We found the resort to provide areas for socializing as well as areas of privacy and romance! They even set up special candle light dinners on the beach for us on several occassions (very accommodating staff).

I am usually not one to write on these reviews however after having read a previous review I felt compelled to write and share our experience as I strongly disagreed with their comments. There were families at the resort during our stay as well, but we felt the staff/management did a wonderful job in accommodating each guests needs. We also felt the resort lay out provides for both families as well as honeymooners with no problem.

Thank you Koro Sun for a most memorable honeymoon --- to all of you out there this vacation spot is a must!

Stayed October 2006
5 Thank lagal

Southern Hemisphere
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2006

Hi there, this was a pretty good resort, but didn't measure up to its marketing image as we expected. Our view was that we were stepping into a romantic and secluded getaway, perfect for couples and honeymooners.

Unfortunately there were uncontrolled kids that couldn't be contained by their parents or hotel management. The hotel marketing says that pools are segregated for kids and there are early meal times for kids. However these guidelines weren't observed by the parents or staff. Unfortunately staff that were meant to be looking after everyone become pseudo baby sitters.

Also our drinks and activities bill was overcharged by F$100 (their mistake in adding it up). So well worth checking at the end. Drinks were expensive, especially wine. Some activities were charged out (seemed a bit opportunistic).

Food was good, staff friendly, facilities good and spa was great. Just wish that the families that decided to turn it into the Brady Bunch vacation special could be responsible and if not, then the hotel should have had a quiet word. Others had a similar opinion.....

Such a shame, it wouldn't take much to make this top shelf.

• Liked — Bure's were unique, staff attentive, location, location, location
  • Disliked — Lack of kid's discipline and mngt enforcing the rules.
  • Tips/Secrets — If a couple, book in Bure 1 or 3
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
11 Thank Swig
Happy New Year From the Koro Sun Resort Family.

Thank you for your review back in October 2006.

Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2006

Koro Sun was a fantastic resort that was just small enough to provide the quiet relaxing getaway we were looking for. Great 5 star food and nice rooms. The spa treatments are heaven and e staff are second to none. The Fijian people are the most amazing kind individuals in the world. Try the golf course as it is a fun version of jungle golf! The resort looks just like you see in the pictures...nothing altered just simpley beautiful. What you see is what you get. We also made life long friends from this vacation. People from all over the world and wecant wait to go back.

• Liked — Staff and beautiful gardens
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — Bring Music for the CD player in your room to listen during down time.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ConnieZ
Happy New Year From the Koro Sun Resort Family.

Thank you for your review back in September 2006.

Orange County
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2006

My boyfriend stayed at the Koro Sun for 7 days. It was an amazing place. We enjoyed all the activities that they had. The bure was clean and decorated nicely. The best part of Koro Sun is the totally friendly staff. Everyone knew our names the first day, as we were walking around the premises everyone we passed by greeted us on a first name basis. We became fast friends with the staff. They went over and beyond being hospitable. Many days after their shifts ended they still stayed to play tennis, show us around, or just hang out and drink rum and Kava. The drinks at the bar aren't cheap, so the trick is once you reach Fiji at the duty free definitely load up on alcohol. If you miss out on that then take the bus, taxi or one of the staff from Koro Sun will take you into town and you can by your alcohol there. Kele the bartendar at Koro Sun definitely makes some awesome cocktails. Hiram can make some really strong ones. Dick the activities director is fun and very friendly. Sunia the driver is cool too. LIke I said very friendly. At night we hung out with everyone and just drank rum on the beach... If you are into big, crowded, touristy places then this is not the place for you. If you really want to get to know the Figians and relax this is a great place. Ohhhh I forgot about the food, AWESOME. The presentation and the fact that it all tasted great. Five star without the small quantities. Their soups were incredible. We will definitely stay there again. If you go do the dolphin tour, the coral reefs you get to snorkel to are amazing.

• Liked — rock shower
  • Disliked — internet
  • Tips/Secrets — definitely take DEET for the bugs, especially at night if you want to hang out outside.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bocajrr
Happy New Year From the Koro Sun Resort Family.

Thank you for your review back in August 2006.

Yuba City, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2006

I’m posting this a bit late, but I wanted to comment on the wonderful time I had in October, 2005 at Koro Sun. I went with a group of 12 other scuba divers and one non-diver from Northern California.

When we arrived at the resort, we were handed tropical fruit drinks as soon as we stepped out of the van. All of the staff were warm and friendly. The dining room staff knew each of our names by the end of the first day. The grounds, previously a coconut plantation, are green and lush. The bure (bungalow) that my dive partner and I shared was spacious and comfortable; having 2 bedrooms separated by a pleasant sitting room, with a screened porch facing the ocean. A complimentary sulu (sarong) was fan-folded on the bed; fresh flowers were on tables and the bed. Beds were turned down at night, with flowers placed on the pillows. There was no phone or TV in the room, but we didn't miss that for a moment.

The open air dining room was casual but lovely, and meals were beautifully presented and delicious. For non-divers and times when we divers weren’t in the water, there were kayaks and bikes, as well as tennis, golf, deep sea fishing, sunset cruises, the swimming pool (complete with palm tree on a small “island” in the center), and trips to a waterfall, villages and town. Wherever we went, the Fijians were extremely friendly. Smiles and “bula!” (“hello!”) greeted us everywhere. Near the end of the stay, the local villagers put on a wonderful show of traditional songs and dances. We then had a roast pig feast, with a great array of Fijian food.

The Rainforest Spa at the resort was delightful. You walk up a beautifully tended path into the rainforest area of the resort to the open-air buildings housing the spa. The lovely setting is complete with the sounds of the adjacent creek gurgling while you get a marvelous professional massage that left us feeling so relaxed that it was difficult to get up off of the tables.

The diving was absolutely fantastic. Colin Skipper, an Aussie who bought Koro Sun Dive in September of 2004, and his crew, particularly Sam and Elijah, as well as Malti in the office, were attentive and went out of their way to make sure that we had a great dive vacation. At our initial dive briefing, Colin asked what we’d like to see. We all threw in our desire; mine included sharks and a night dive. Several of us do underwater photography, and he and his crew kept that in mind, looking for and finding wonderful pelagics as well as eels; tiny, colorful nudibranchs; lionfish; batfish, leaf fish, scorpionfish; clownfish and anemeonefish; and a mammoth lobster who hangs out under a ledge. Situated between the Somosomo Straits and Namena Marine Reserve, Koro Sun is the only dive operation able to dive both of those areas, as well as dynamite local sites that are just a few minutes from the resort, so we had great variety. The longer trips out to Namena and the Straits were well worth it; absolutely stunning marine life and soft corals, with colors and variety that look almost like fake special effects. The night dive at “Golden Nuggets” was a wonderland of gracefully waving golden soft coral, with all kinds of great night critters just waiting to have their pictures taken.

Every dive site had its own beauty, and opportunities for fantastic photos were almost unlimited. One site that was spectacular for totally different reasons was "Dungeons & Dragons". This has a series of swim-throughs and caverns; the caverns of which are lit by sunlight streaming down through the open “ceilings” into the clear water. It is truly almost mystical.

After diving was done each day, the crew totally took care of our equipment. When we offered to help carry gear up to the rinse tank, we were told, “No problem; we’ll take care of it”, and they cheerfully did so, then hanging wetsuits, BC’s and other gear to dry, all kept in a locked, air-ventilated drying room adjacent to the dive shop. They constantly went out of their way to be friendly, accomodating, and helpful on and off the boat; obviously wanting us to have a wonderful dive experience. In fact, I am returning to Fiji and Koro Sun this July, and can hardly wait to jump back into that beautiful water! - Judy M., Yuba City, California

• Stayed October 2005
9 Thank greekmermaid
Happy New Year From the Koro Sun Resort Family.

Thank you for your review back in June 2006.

Koro Sun Resort & Rainforest Spa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Savusavu
Namale the Fiji Islands Resort & Spa
#7 of 12 in Savusavu
Savusavu Hot Springs Hotel
Savusavu Hot Springs Hotel
#11 of 12 in Savusavu

Been to Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa? Share your experiences!