“Dream Vacation”

Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Savusavu
Laguna Niguel, California
“Dream Vacation”
Reviewed July 15, 2014

My wife and I chose Koro Sun for our honeymoon after considering a number of options and boy are we happy we did! Fiji is a magical place, especially Savusavu and Koro Sun Resort. The staff really made our stay so personable. We felt like we were leaving family when it was time to come home. Everyone from Mela, Romanu, Dobbs, Tim Tam, Naomi, Mere, Ally, Nai, Arvin, Vani, Solo (I know I'm leaving some people out. Sorry) made our trip unbelievable. We were greeted at the tiny airport amongst beautiful rainforest by Arvin who escorted us to our hotel. Once there, we were greeted with fresh coconuts and a foot massage that was extra amazing after the long flight.

We stayed for one week, although we wouldn't have come back home if it were up to us due to the raw beauty and laid back lifestyle. We partook in many of the activities at the resort including kayaking to bat island, visiting a school in town, snorkeling at coral gardens, stand up paddle boarding, bike riding along the coast, banana leaf couples massage in the rainforest spa (which I HIGHLY recommend!), happy hour at the infinity edge pool, and relaxing on our day bed at our amazing edge water bure. As everyone has mentioned in previous reviews, the food was incredible and I became a glutinous husband at every meal (desserts were especially good). We really can't say enough about how incredible the entire experience was and we feel very fortunate that we were able to have such a great honeymoon that we will remember forever. We hope to one day be back. BULA and Vinaka Vakalevu Fiji!

Room Tip: Splurge for the edge water bure if possible. However, all of the rooms are very nice.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Nick G
KoroSunManagement, General Manager at Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Bula Vinaka Guys!! Wonderful to learn that you had an enjoyable time with us at Koro Sun.

We really appreciate the special mentions accorded to Mela, Romanu, Dobbs, Tim Tam, Naomi, Mere, Ally, Nai, Arvin, Vani, Solo, particularly. This lot is considered the core team at Koro Sun. They really do put themselves out there and with a real genuine passion to connect with our visitors. Amongst them - they have a combined total service of more than 45 years. Even this blew me away.

We are impressed to learn that you involved yourself in almost all of our activities. Well done! Not many guests do take that opportunity, but I suppose some are simply content with relaxing by the pool with a book. I do have to agree with you that the rainforest spa is highly recommended. You cannot come all the way to Savusavu without experiencing the rainforest Spa.

Joeli our Head Chef is away on vacation, but I will surely pass on your kind comments on the food and the desserts to his team.

We look forward to seeing you back soon. Vinaka Vakalevu from all of us at Koro Sun.

JR & Margie (GMs).

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Queensland, Australia
Reviewed July 13, 2014

My husband and I and our two young children recently spent 5 nights at the Koro Sun Resort. This was our first trip to Fiji and I'm so glad that this is where we decided to stay. My husband and I are quite private people so we really enjoyed how quiet and intimate this resort was, it was hard to tell how many people were staying but there were around twenty tables set for dinner each night.

The food was spectacular! We enjoyed trying some dishes that we wouldn't normally try. We loved listening to the house band at night before and during dinner and Nal and Milli at the bar really looked after us.

The kids had an absolute ball at the Kids Club, Oni was amazing and organised a wonderful birthday party for my son. It was his favourite part of our trip! Morti and Junior looked after our kids, Junior was more than happy to indulge my son in numerous activities. On the first day of kids club I saw him after only two hours and he and Junior had already played tennis and volleyball, gone on a kayak ride and had a swim at the kids pool!

The kids club allowed my husband and I to enjoy one of our favourite activities, snorkeling! The snorkeling at the resort is spectacular, so much to explore! We found a clownfish in its anemone on the drop off in front of Edgewater Bure 2 and we were able to take the kids back at low tide to see "Nemo", they were so excited. One day Romanu took us to Split Rock which was incredible. Romanu took my GoPro as he free dived through the split, it was a sight to see! My daughter and I went on the local school tour, the children were all happy to show off their singing and the school has such a beautiful view I'm surprised they can concentrate. I loved talking to different staff members from the resort about their villages even getting the chance to see a few as we drove to and from excursions.

We stayed in an Edgewater Villa which was perfect for us and it's a short walk to both restaurants. We loved being able to hop in the water right off our back deck and the view is spectacular.

This resort is truly something special, so full of natural beauty and character. The staff are amazing and super efficient. It felt like my husband and I were the ones on Fiji time. Our farewell song was so beautiful I was fighting back the tears. We had a one night stop over at a large resort in Denarau before flying home which really made me appreciate how beautiful Koro Sun Resort is, you truly get to experience the different aspects of the Fijian lifestyle.

I am keen to explore other parts of Fiji but we will definitely return to Koro Sun Resort one day and I will be recommending it to everyone.

Vinaka!

Room Tip: Edgewater Bures are for couples only. Edgewater Villas are great for small families, easy access to...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank leashy79
Bula Vinaka! Wow, I am so delighted to learn that your first experience of Fiji turned out to be a truly great one and one that our team at Koro Sun Resort had a part to play in it.

Yes, you are right we are not a big resort by mainland standards, but we are the biggest in Vanua Levu with 43 Bures/Villas in total. With the resort sitting on 150 acres, it is easy to feel like you are the only one around (specially on a beautiful sunny day, when everyone's out enjoying their activities).

Thank you for the great reference about the food and the house band. The house band don't get a lot of mention but they do keep our guests entertained at the Main Clubhouse bar with their local repertoire . So thank you for this. I will pass this on.

Again, Oni and her Kids Club team do provide a great service. I am glad the kids enjoyed their company. It was Oni who organised the birthday party for your son. She had included the children of our local staff to celebrate his 8th birthday . Great mentions about Moti and Junior. Wonderful to hear that you both took the time to have some intimate couple's time and enjoy the activities for yourselves.

Judging by your review, I can already see that you really "went out to experience". This is something we encourage guests to do so they don't get "resort-locked" as is often the case with bigger resorts. Savusavu has so much to share and we are even proud to share that Savusavu has a wonderful range of resorts around the area to cater for all.

I had to smile about the "Denarau" comparison. Though we may not compare in terms of the facility and other related amenities synonymous with 300-room resorts, we surely stand out in terms of rare beauty of the country, intimate accommodation, not to mention the genuiness on the part of the people to include visitors in their lives.

Look forward to seeing you back in Savusavu and Koro Sun Resort.

Warm Regards,
JR & Margie (GMs)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed July 10, 2014

My wife and I spent six nights here with two grandkids (17 and 21) and thoroughly enjoyed everything, especially the extremely friendly and accommodating staff. The food, often served in a beautiful seaside dining room, was outstanding with choices for every meal filled out the night before. We stayed in a mid-range ocean view bure, which was perfect for our group. More expensive seaside and edgewater bures are available, generally filled with honeymooners. A wide variety of activities are offered every day. Our favorites were the village tour/waterfall swim, visit to nearby school, kayak to Bat Island/cave swim and of course the banana-wrap massage (in a spectacular rain forest setting nearby). The staff was amazing, always greeting us by name and making sure we had a great time (participating with guests in volleyball and all activities). Timtam deserves special mention for going out of his way to help everyone, young and old. While our grandkids were older, we noticed the staff was always available to accompany younger kids in activities while their parents had some time alone. As a bonus, the resort actively supports a nearby school and seems to be make a special effort to be a good neighbor to the Fijian people in the area.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
KoroSunManagement, General Manager at Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa, responded to this review, July 13, 2014
So wonderful to hear from you. Thank you again for taking the time to review us. We are delighted to learn that you all had a wonderful time with us. Just as I've been informing the others who have reviewed us recently, I will convey your review to the staff at the end of the month, when we hold our monthly staff meeting and "Ice-Cream Day" ,lol! I'm convinced the ice-cream will taste even better when they get your feedback, lol!

Our warmest regards to you all, and we look forward to another opportunity to host you all again.

VINAKA VAKALEVU. JR!
Wellington
Reviewed July 4, 2014

We have just returned from an amazing 9 days in paradise at Koro Sun resort. We stayed in an Edgewater bure which was modern and spacious with a great little plunge pool right outside the front door which our little girl loved. The staff at Koro Sun are what made the trip for us, they are just such wonderful happy people who really care and want to ensure you have the most memorable trip, they will help you with anything to ensure you are happy. The general managers know all of their guests by name and make a point of ensuring they are ok, they are totally engaged with their staff and guests alike, just such wonderful people. We had many conversations with the staff and got to know their stories. The food was also a highlight, it is fresh, organic and there was a huge variety over the time we were there, I never got sick of the fresh fruit each morning and looked forward to lunch and dinner. Our stay was also very much a cultural experience, yes we got some lovely relaxing leisure time around the new infinity pool over looking the sea with a cocktail in hand, but we also engaged with the local villages, attending a church service where the strength and harmony in their voices was so moving, and we also visited a primary school, and three local villages. Each time we were welcomed with massive smiles, like we were old friends. Very humbling experiences. The new honeymoon overwater bures look seriously luxurious, and there are no children allowed around that area, so for the honeymooners there is no fear that you will be woken up at 5am by little kiddies as it is in a separate area. The kidsclub run by Mereoni is great, she is great, loves kids and they love her, Tema who looked after our little one has a lovely way with children, gentle and soft.
Being welcomed on arrival with a foot spa and massage was awesome and then farewelled by the staff singing their traditional Fijian farewell song was heartbreaking, tears were shed for sure. We hope to come back one day to see our friends at Koro Sun!

Room Tip: The Edgewater bures and honeymoon bures on the sea side of the resort are just gorgeous.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank JojoWellington
KoroSunManagement, General Manager at Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa, responded to this review, July 6, 2014
Thank you so much Jo for your kind review. The KSR family certainly enjoyed your companionship, along with Vito and little Sofia. I have relayed your comments to Mereoni and Tema of the Kids Club and they asked me to relay their warm regards to Sofia. Wow, thank you for the great compliment on the food. Joeli our chef will be very pleased. He and his team having been putting in a lot of effort. Glad to learn that you had some couple's time at the Infinity pool. It is becoming quite popular for guests who prefer to chill out. I was pleased to read about your great experience at the village. Amongst all of our wonderful list of outdoor activities/tours, the village trip always rates in the top 10, on our Guest comments forms. Thank you again for the review and Margie and I look forward to seeing you back soon. Vinaka Vakalevu
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed June 25, 2014

My wife and I spent 7 nights at Koro Sun in one of the new edgewater water bures. It was the second week of our honeymoon in Fiji and it was one of most amazing times we have ever had. I could have sat on the patio overlooking the lagoon for days on end, it was such a beautiful location. The food was fantastic and all of the activities were great. Where Koro Sun really shines are the incredible staff. We have never met as many truly wonderful people that make up the staff here. Joe and Maggie are running an excellent resort. We had such a great time and didn't want to leave. I've been on many different trips and this is one of the first times where I actually felt a real sadness leaving, it was that great.

Room Tip: Edgewater Bures are amazing!! If you can book #10 it's all the way at the end, with only one nei...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Chris C
Chris, Bula Vinaka! Thank you again for your kind compliments. Margie and I really appreciated the time you guys took to spend with us at Koro Sun Resort and I am glad it turned out to be a time where you had more personal time together, specially after your wedding on Beqa.

I have taken the liberty of informing the staff on the compliments that you've paid them. Mili & Solo says hello.

We look forward to having you over on another occasion. Vinaka Vakalevu
Jacksonville Beach, Florida
Reviewed June 17, 2014

We just had the pleasure to stay at the Koro Sun Resort last week. The views, the people, the food were all wonderful. It was all inclusive and it felt like we were part of a family. (or at a really high end summer camp :) The foot massage was such a nice welcome. I must say we both gained weight because we had so many choices of the menu that we had to try them all. My favorites were the banana stuffed fresh coconut covered french toast and the chicken curry. The staff was so friendly and always very helpful. We looked forward to being greated by Mili, Ni, Vonnie and Oni at each meal. Everyone will know your name by the end of the first day and greet you by name for the rest of the week. We joined every event possible and the free excursions were all very good. We did the bike ride with Solo - (ask for the extended ride thru his village, what a great plus that was) Snorkeling with Ramanu to see the beautiful blue starfish and great mix of fish and coral- he even gave me his own mask when mine leaked! I suggest you take reef shoes on this trip as you can walk out on the old coral in many areas. John took us to Bat Island and that was my favorite. You can swim in a grotto, pick up starfish and see much more (moray eel in a tidal pool, crabs everywhere, and many other interesting creatures) We enjoyed Bat Island so much we went back on our own int the provided kayaks and spent another 2 hours exploring the tidal pools. Other actuvities that we did that were included were the herbal walk, rainforest treck to a waterfall, hand-line fishing, kayaking, paddle board, the school visit (a must do) We took the local bus to Savusavu for less than a dollar US. This was another great day of walking the gorgeous coast, meeting the people and visiting the fruit-veggie market. I heard from the others that the diving was amazing but we only snorkel (which was so much better than I expected...right off the beach at the resort) The mere location of this resort is perfect. I could go on and on but will end with saying that this is somewhere we would definitely go back and recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: The ocean side rooms will be a must for my next visit! We had a wonderful view from our "gard...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CarolisMyRealtor
Bula Vinaka Carol, Thank you for a very impressive review. It will serve as a great reminder for us to ensure that other guests to our resort have the same or better experience with us. You know we value our commitment to ensuring that all our guests enjoy a personalized experience here at Koro Sun Resort. Sometimes, we drop the ball, so to speak, but we make every effort to ensure that a level of consistency in all areas of resort activities is maintained. I conveyed to Joeli, our Chef, how you enjoyed the banana-stuffed French toast with coconut covering and he appreciated the comment very much. Joeli said it was the first he's received about the French toast. Satya, our Indian lady who is our curry specialist continues to produce great curry menus consistently. You will be pleased to know that we always relay our guest comments to our staff, personally. They were well-received by the team here. Thank you for your patronage of our resort. We hope to see you back at Koro Sun Resort soon. Warm Regards. JR.
Atlanta
Reviewed June 15, 2014

I stayed here some time ago but forgot to review. The property is nice but the bure's near the clubhouse are very dated and small. If you go, make sure to choose the waterfront condos. The food was excellent when I stayed. Internet was non-existent except for the clubhouse. Another note: During the summer (Their winter), the sun goes down earlier and I was in bed on average @ 9:00PM.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking time to send a review even though it was way back in July 2013 when you had visited Koro Sun Resort. The accommodation you've described as small and dated are the Garden view Bures. They were part of the original accommodation of the resort some years ago, when it was known as Kon Tiki Resort. We still have people who have an affinity with our original garden bures.

A lot of changes has taken place since, and we are pleased with our latest addition over the water, now referred to as Edgewater Bures, primarily set for couples/honeymooners. Thank you for your recommendation of the condos - these are the streamside villas at the Edgewater Area. They are great amongst the families who come here.

We are continuing to improve and challenging ourselves to continue to take our service support to another level. We hope you will have another chance to come visit us again.
Vinaka Vakalevu, JR.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Savusavu
Namale Resort & Spa
#7 of 12 in Savusavu
Naveria Heights Lodge
Naveria Heights Lodge
#8 of 12 in Savusavu

Been to Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa? Share your experiences!