“Let’s Get Away From It All”

Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Savusavu
Saint Charles, Illinois
“Let’s Get Away From It All”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

This was simply one of the best vacations we could have asked for. We stayed in one of the Edgewater Villas and could not get enough of the view. We could jump off the back of the villa to the ocean and swim in our private pool to the front of the villa. The service was and food were wonderful and they went out of our way to make sure we did everything we wanted to do. Thank you Solo, John, and Dobs for making sure we enjoyed our stay!! We hope so see you sometime soon!!

Another nice thing about the island was that everyone was as friendly as can be. From the moment you get off the plane to the moment you leave, there was not one time someone was being pushy or trying to sell you something like some other islands we had visited in the past.

Room Tip: Cannot speak for the other rooms on the property, but from what I could tell, you wound want to stay...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 10Griswald01
Josaia R, General Manager at Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa, responded to this review, January 4, 2015
Bula Vinaka.

This is a very late response, but I just want to take the opportunity on behalf of the Koro Sun family to thank you sincerely for giving us a great review.

Truly, as a team, we are seeking to improve our service support always and the management is grateful to the staff for always standing in with genuine desire to assist our valued guests.

I will certainly pass on your kind comments to the team staff you have taken the time to mention here.

Happy New Year for 2015.

JR & Margie Rayawa
Koro Sun Resort & Rainforest Spa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 26, 2013

The bure was ok with a lovely 4 poster bed, but it was a little tired. The new bures were not finished but they will be lovely if not a bit overpriced. The food was basic but very healthy,made from fresh produce much of which was grown on the premises. The snorkelling organised nearby was fantastic. The fish and coral were ver colourful. A massage is a must as the rooms are unique and worth the experience.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mary1710
Josaia R, General Manager at Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa, responded to this review, January 13, 2015
Happy New Year From the Koro Sun Resort Family.

It's an opportunity for me to introduce ourselves. Margie and I joined Koro Sun Resort in 2014.
We hope to be able to encourage you to come visit Koro Sun again.

Do let us know if you want us to keep you in the loop on the progress. My email is jr@korosunresort.com

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed December 17, 2013

The Koro Sun staff is nothing but amazing. We were upgraded to an edge water villa last May after we had travel difficulties. All of the food is fresh and delicious! Don't miss the mountaintop happy hour or a massage at the rain forest spa. We kayaked and snorkelnd almost every day, and the activity staff was excellent.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah J
Happy New Year From the Koro Sun Resort Family.

Thank you for your kind review back in May 2013.

My name is Josaia Rayawa ("JR"). My wife, Margie and I are the new Co-General Managers at Koro Sun Resort & Rainforest Spa. We find this a great opportunity for us to introduce ourselves. Margie and I joined Koro Sun Resort in 2014.

We hope to be able to encourage you to come visit Koro Sun again. We are in the throes of including 8 new floating bures/villas on the lagoon, the first of its kind in Fiji.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Hi there
We stayed at Koro Sun for our honeymoon for 7nights in the Edgewater vale. It honestly was amazing from the moment we walked through the door the stuff all knew us by name. The food was incredible and the people where wonderful. We took our 1 and a half year old son Ashton with us. I have never felt more comfortable to leave him with anyone than the staff there they all adored him and by the end learnt to say 'bula'. We did not want to leave the activities where great, our vale we saw lots of fish,moray eels and even a reef shark was great. I could not praise this place more and cannot wait to come back and have a look at the new vales/bures they are building. Was a fab honeymoon.Thank you for a great time we will be back for sure

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank courtney b
Happy New Year From the Koro Sun Resort Family.

Thank you for your kind review back in November 2013.

My name is Josaia Rayawa or ("JR"). My wife, Margie and I are the new Co-General Managers at Koro Sun Resort & Rainforest Spa. We find this a great opportunity for us to introduce ourselves. Margie and I joined Koro Sun Resort in 2014.

Kitchener
Reviewed November 30, 2013

The warm welcome that we received when we first entered the resort set the theme for our stay.
After two long flights and an intra-island flight to have your feet washed with ground coconut and oil was the perfect way to start a holiday. The grounds are extensive and even include a nine hole golf course. The bures are large and fully equipped.More bures are being built on the beach across the road from the main building.
The food is varied and very tasty.
But it is the friendliness of the staff, from the two owners to the gardeners that makes a stay here so special.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Alan744
Happy New Year From the Koro Sun Resort Family.

Thank you for your kind review back in November 2013.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed November 28, 2013

We wanted a very special place to spend our 20th Anniversary and renew our vows and Koro Sun did not disappoint. From the second you arrive, the staff goes above and beyond to make you feel special. The Honeymoon Treehouse bure was amazing, and our vow renewal way exceeded our expectations because the staff went to so much trouble to make it so special. You would have thought it was our wedding. Mela the wedding/event planner truly was awesome. I also cannot say enough about the spa, set in a rainforest where you hear the multiple waterfalls and river while you receive your treatment amidst Fiji breezes. Even the short walk through the rainforest to the treatment bures is relaxing. Mela in the spa is amazing and I HIGHLY recommend the banana leaf wrap. Romanu, Solo, Dobbs and the activities staff are super attentive, and Vani, Oni and the wait staff are wonderful, as is Ty the manager. The owners war there and were also genuinely interested in making our stay fabulous. you will not go wrong with this place. Diving was great too, with Owen and Steven and Bonnie being great guides under the water. Thank you Koro Sun for such a special experience!

-Dirk and JoAl Sherian

Room Tip: We were spoiled and stayed in the Honeymoon Treehouse which overlooks both the rainforest, the ocean...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DiverDirk
Happy New Year From the Koro Sun Resort Family.

Thank you for your kind review back in November 2013 and celebrating your 20th anniversary at Koro Sun Resort.

We also have some great updates for our dive excursions program.

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed November 25, 2013

My wife and I discovered a Groupon for Koro Sun while looking for possible honeymoon destinations, and after significant research, we decided to go for it. We could not have been happier with our decision! I relied heavily on the reviews from this site so I figured I can leave one that might help someone in the same position. But I'll warn you, it's long. So buckle up!

The Staff:
We knew Fiji would be beautiful, and we knew it would be romantic, but the thing that far, far exceeded our expectations was the Koro Sun Resort staff. Within moments of arriving, multiple staff members (including the GM and owner) introduced themselves to us as we were getting foot massages (absolutely amazing after all the traveling), and from that very moment, they all knew our names for the rest of our week there. They truly treated us like family. How they can remember all of the names as people come and go is a mystery, but it really added a personal touch that I haven't experienced in any other travels.

The Rooms:
We ended up staying in 3 different bures during our visit so I'll try to give a little recap of each one. We stayed in the 2 Bedroom Ocean View Bure (part of the Groupon deal) for most of our trip. It was quiet and clean which was all we really needed. The mattress was a little hard (as others have mentioned), but neither of us had a hard time falling asleep after all of the daily activities. We absolutely loved the outdoor shower. I don't think either of us used the indoor one the entire week we were there. The room was very simple (no tv, window A/C unit, not even a clock) but for us, it was all we needed! The room was atop a pretty good hill so some may not enjoy the steep walk up from the main lobby area. However, my wife and I saw it as a nice little work out after a huge, delicious dinner.

We ended up staying one more night after our Groupon package so we decided to upgrade to one of the Edgewater Villas for that final night. This bure was much nicer and much more modern (TV, kitchen, updated furniture), and the mattress was considerably softer. One downside is the Edgewater Villas are pretty close together so privacy could be a bit of an issue. It wasn't hard to walk out on the balcony and inadvertently see someone in the next bure reading on the couch. However all the rooms had blinds or curtains to prevent it. The Ocean View Bures were quite a bit more spaced out with dense vegetation growing between them so privacy was not an issue.

For our final day, we were given a day room so we could clean up before our afternoon flight home. We were in one of the One Bedroom Ocean View Bures. The only real difference from the Two Bedroom Ocean View Bure (other than one less room) is that it's at the bottom of the hill so it's very easy to walk to and from the clubhouse.

All in all, we were very happy with each of the bures we experienced, and I think the resort does a good job at offering several different styles based on what you're looking for.

The Food:
The meals were amazing. The resort offered a good variety of food and it was all very well prepared. My wife has several food allergies (lactose and gluten) and the staff was incredibly helpful in avoiding those. We particularly loved how most of the produce is from the property. The pineapple was some of the tastiest we've ever had. They also have a great happy hour at the bar which was a good way to meet some of the other guests.

The Activities:
This was what we were most excited about. My wife and I are pretty active and wouldn't have been able to lounge by the pool and sip cocktails the whole trip. We had to get out and explore, and Koro Sun gave us more than enough opportunities to do just that. We signed up for some of the organized trips (handline fishing, rainforest trek, the waterfall tour, snorkeling at Split Rock and Coral Gardens) and the staff was super knowledgeable and friendly. Dobbs, Romano and Solo, you guys rock! But the great thing about Koro Sun was we were able to do our own activities too. My wife and I rode bikes to some of the other beaches (which we had all to ourselves), paddle boarded in the lagoon, kayaked to Bat Island (the grotto is a must see), the list goes on and on. We could really do whatever we felt like at that moment which was great! We also got the banana leaf wrap massage which was incredibly relaxing, and I did a few dives with KoroSun Dive which is located just across the street. The water was a little rough and visibility was down due to some recent rains, but I had still had a great time and the crew was a blast!

Extras:
For anyone considering the Groupon, I'd highly recommend it. The value is incredible and we didn't feel treated any differently than the rest of the guests.

There was still some construction going on for the new Edgewater Bures, but they were looking pretty close to being finished so hopefully it wraps up soon. The only real noise was from dump trucks delivering large boulders along the waterfront (to stop erosion?) but I was under the impression that the rock deliveries were only happening for a few days so those are most likely over by now.

The road you need to cross to get to the Edgewater rooms, the dive shop, and the beach was pretty quiet. There would be some buses in the mornings and evening taking people to/from work, but the rest of the day saw very little traffic.

During our stay, we had a few bugs in our room and the occasional gecko, as well as a GIANT spider in the outdoor shower, but all that is to be expected when you're staying in a rainforest.

All in all, we had an amazing and memorable honeymoon and have Koro Sun Resort to thank for it!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Justin B
Happy New Year From the Koro Sun Resort Family.

Thank you for your kind review back in November 2013. It was wonderful reading up on your honeymoon experience here at Koro Sun Resort, back then.

Koro Sun Resort & Rainforest Spa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Savusavu
Daku Resort
#6 of 12 in Savusavu
Naveria Heights Lodge
Naveria Heights Lodge
#8 of 12 in Savusavu

Been to Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa? Share your experiences!