“Koro Sun Paradise”

Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Savusavu
Reviewed April 12, 2013

My husband Peter and I went to Koro Sun to celebrate our 30th Wedding Anniversary.
What an absolute delight! Privacy in Paradise! Great food great lodgings and the people we
met and were entertained by were so beautiful. Certainly an experience we will want to repeat!
Activities were great especially the trip to the waterfall! Loved everything about it

Room Tip: We stayed in an Edgewater Villa, one of four on the water, very private
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sue M
TyGoulter, Manager at Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2013

Bula Sue & Peter,

Thank you for your kind review.
It was pleasure to have assisted in some small way to make your anniversary special.
We look forward to having you back when you next decide to visit our little part of paradise again.
From my wife Jenia and I, Mili, Fazil, Dobs & Manu who send a big Bula and all the team here at Koro Sun we wish you many many more wonderful years together.
You are indeed a very special couple.
Regards,
Resort General Manager.

There are newer reviews for Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa

Reviewed April 6, 2013

The positives!!! We stayed in the Ocean View two bedroom Bure these rooms were incredible!
The slide into the children’s pool wore out our kids each day!!
The guides and wait staff were fabulous~ The activity guides Dobbs, Manu and John are wonderful they make you feel like they truly enjoy their “work” and how could you not in such an incredible paradise!!!
They do have it tough. The resort has a very small beach that is set a short walk from all of the bures. You can drive to a beach that is quite nice.
It is too bad the main highway of the island is running right between the main eating and lodging area and any ocean or beach activities you might wish to enjoy.
The down sides…. All but one of the Kayaks had holes. We were there during one of their busier times so they did not have enough paddles for all of the guests~ That also went hand in hand with flippers to quote one of the kids “these are crap”~ I wish I would have known this because we all have our own gear which would have been very easy to toss in~
Our biggest disappointment was the food. We were told that the manager was sick the first few days of our stay so that might be why we our food was not as fresh and tasty as one would hope~ I would have liked to have seen veggies on the kids plates besides french fries~ Or going to the beach for the picnic lunch and all that was packed was warm Mongolian Stir Fry (not so great for the beach….or for the kids!) My father and I did have a side bet as to if we were eating fish or chicken one night…. (fish! I won!)
Last that I will mention is $5 for water? Please~ It would not worry me if it was not billed as an all inclusive~ I understand soda and alcohol at a price but when you cannot drink the water please provide water at no cost~ I would prefer if it was not in the mini $5 plastic bottles~ Purified water in the room in reusable glass bottles would be fine~
Our foot rubs were also not available because “the towels were wet” hummmm~ When asked if we can leave our tip for the staff on our credit card Naomi at the front desk said, “would you like me to put 20% on your card?” ...tacky....
***Value was a hard one. This is a great deal if you do Expedia or Groupon but don’t do full price not worth it~ This was our 3rd and not our last trip to Fiji we love the island and all it has to offer!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank It's C
TyGoulter, Manager at Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

I am pleased that your family overall enjoyed their stay with us and that you found the room to be incredible along with our staff. You mentioned your stay was not up to the value for money paid with reference to special offers. I would like to mention that all guests booking through the resort directly, preferred travel agent or with the likes of Expedia all receive the same price per night or current special available.
In regard to your comment about the “main highway”, we have what might be better described as a country road with very minimal traffic in front of the resort before the beach and seaside restaurant facility. The majority of the resort is situated amongst 150 acres from the water to the hillside.
I have discussed with chef your feedback about the cuisines and the purchase of some supplemental frozen fish over the Easter break when the supplies were running out due to demand, and we apologise for this. As you will see from all the previous reviews they are quite favourable regarding our food, and any special requests we welcome from future guests so we can ensure it’s to you liking.
In regard to the Mongolian served at the picnic lunch, we had a young chef who was eager to impress and did not serve our regular set menu of lunch wraps and do apologise for this.
Thanks for your feedback on the children’s menu, as we are always updating this regularly. For future guests, please note you are able to order adult meals for kids, or indeed special requests at any time to include your preferred ingredients and veggies for adults or children.
Thank you also for your comments on the kayaks, we are regularly repairing these as unfortunately many guests take them over our exposed coral reef. These are now with our maintenance team and its unfortunate that we could not address this during your stay. My wife and I generally meet with every guest several times during their stay to discuss their experience. I apologise I was not able to address a few of your issues earlier on in your stay, as I was sick up until Easter.
In regard to the water, all of our water goes through a large filtration and chlorination system, but we advise guests to not drink from the tap. The water is quite safe to drink from the tap in our main clubhouse bar as it goes though an additional 4 stage filtration system and we serve this free to guests during meal times and are happy to refill drinking bottles for people who are going on outings, again free of charge. All rooms have a kettle for those who wish to boil their own water which again would be safe to drink. In clarifying the charged bottles of water, we charge $5 Fijian, equivalent to around $2.50 US or AU, which is basically at cost and I believe cheaper than you would likely pay at home. This all being said, it would seem that we failed to clarify this properly and we have made the changes to our compendium in hopes that the same confusion does not occur again. Please reference our website as well for future guests.
I am sorry that we failed to meet your expectations, but pleased that the service our wonderful staff provided left a positive memory of Fiji and all it has to offer. For all future visitors to our hidden paradise please make sure to raise any issue you may have ‘during’ your stay, as our motto here is Yes we can, and we will do everything humanly possible to make your stay perfect.
Resort General Manager
manager@korosunresort.com

Reviewed April 6, 2013

My family of 4 recently returned from the most fantastic 14 nights at Koro Sun!
We had to change our normal travel plans to the mamanucas after the resort we frequently visit was closed due to the December cyclone. So forced to look for a new Fiji home I decided to go somewhere completely different and Savu savu was the new destination and Koro Sun the new Resort.

We had an amazing time we stayed in the 2 bedroom Raintree bure which was perfect for our family it was huge and we loved it. The outdoor shower was great! The plunge pool was terrific and to lay on the day bed after a full on day of activity was perfect.

We were kept busy the entire time we were away which is what we like to do.
We took part in the waterfall trip, salt water kayak, kayaks to bat island and the swimming in the grotto, snorkelling out the front of bat island along the wall and inside the reef near the platform and out beyond. We played golf, went hiking, took the trip to the pearl farm, went bike riding, the herbal walk, I had 2 treatments in the rainforest day spa, we went to town a few times. My favourite things to do were the floral arranging classes with Leba, the massage with my daughter, and the cooking class with my son and the brilliant head chef Joe.

I also enjoyed watching the kids and my husband fresh water prawn with Dobbs. We all enjoyed the movie nights hanging around on the daybeds in the lounge. I won the crab race which was great!

The staff are brilliant and treated us like family the whole time. Nothing was too much trouble.

We meet so many lovely lively and happy people mostly from Oz and the US. It was great meeting and chatting to people who were also having a fabulous time.

Vinaka to Jack for inviting us up for the cocktail party at his place that was great, and has the most magnificent views.

The diving was amazing we went to Namena Marine Reserve what a beautiful place to dive that was spectacular.
We absolutely loved the food. It was always so fresh and delicious.

Vinaka to Romanu, Dobbs and John the activity staff for keeping us all entertained.

Vinaka to Mili and all the girls that smiled everyday as they helped in the restaurants. The chocolate milkshakes are the best!!!

Vinaka to Arvin, Mariah, Mela and Geeta.

Vinaka to Jack and Joe for making us feel at home.

Vinaka vaka levu to Ty, Jenia and the boys for making our holiday truly special. It was lovely spending time with you guys. You all went out of your way to make sure we were all having a great stay. We were all very sad to leave.

We didn't like Koro Sun we LOVED it!
We can't wait to come back.

Vinaka vaka levu Koro Sun for a fabulous family holiday that we will all treasure forever! Moce

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Mad_Travel_Girl
TyGoulter, Manager at Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Bula Guys,

It was an absolute pleasure having your family here and thank you very much for your wonderful review.
As the new management here it was great to be able to see the results of the additions that we have made to our family product (like the complimentary "Nannies & Buddies" for the kids) while still providing a great couples destination. The staff have really embrased the "Yes we can" ethos that we now follow, which with families like yours was nothing but fun. I have to say sometimes I had to wonder who was doing the entertaining, you or us!!
And you will always be remembered as the winner of the Inaugural Koro Sun Resort Crab Races!! Go number 5, go you good thing!!
All the team are still talking about you and we look forward to having you back with us when you organise your next get together. Milli and Dobs said to say hi, and my kids are still going on how great you guys were and are looking forward to going fishing with you again, and bugging me almost every day now to take them out, so thanks for that...;o)
Jenia and I wish you all the best.
Take care until we see you again in paradise!

Resort General Manager

Reviewed April 3, 2013

Koro Sun is located in a rather remote location, which is what we wanted. They offer daily outings. We would highly recommend these outings to such places as Split Rock for snorkeling, and the village/waterfall.
You'll also regret it if you don't visit the rainforest spa, which is located next to another waterfall. Geeta and Mela give excellent massages. Mili's smile lights up the restaurant, and she won't forget your name. Romano does a terrific job of leading outings, especially the water related ones.
Chef does a fine job of keeping the food varied, tasty, and interesting.
There are two very different accommodation experiences here. The first is the older bures. They could use some updating, but are affordable. If you want a more upscale experience, book a villa.
In all, the Koro Sun was a delight.

Room Tip: See my comments above before selecting your room.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Josaia R, General Manager at Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2015

Happy New Year From the Koro Sun Resort Family.

Thank you for your kind review back in April 2013.

My name is Josaia Rayawa ("JR"). My wife, Margie and I are the new Co-General Managers at Koro Sun Resort & Rainforest Spa. We find this a great opportunity for us to introduce ourselves. Margie and I joined Koro Sun Resort in 2014.

We hope to be able to encourage you to come visit Koro Sun again. We are in the throes of including 8 new floating bures/villas on the lagoon, the first of its kind in Fiji.

Do let us know if you want us to keep you in the loop on the progress. My email is jr@korosunresort.com

Reviewed February 14, 2013

We recently held a yoga retreat at Koro Sun Resort in Fiji and brought a group down from Colorado. None of us had ever been too Fiji before, and this was our first time leading an out-of-country yoga retreat. It could not have been better! The management and staff at Koro Sun made all of our up-front arrangements easy. Upon arrival things just got better -- all of our needs were met, we felt at home, the food was amazing and the accommodations clean and comfortable. Some of the folks in our group had specific dietary needs which were met quite exceptionally. We practiced yoga in the Seaside event center, right by the water and could hear fish jumping and watch the sun set as we practiced. We also took advantage of many events coordinated by the resort, such as snorkeling, hiking, stand-up-paddleboarding and kayaking. We were treated with the utmost care! Thank you!! We will definitely come back!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Michele L

Reviewed February 9, 2013

We had a wonderful time at Koro Sun. The service was excellent, and the food was fantastic. Our edgewater bure was roomy and kept clean. There weren't many guests, so the staff were always availble to assist us. The activities were all very good as well. We enjoyed the small, rustic nature of the resort - definitely not a busy 5 star Carriibean style hotel with a huge beach. Do not expect internet to be available. The people were all very friendly and helpful which really made the vacation special. It was certainly very low key and relaxing which is what we were expecting. We would go back.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed February 4, 2013

My sweetheart and I wanted to get away from the hustle and bustle of Kauai, (we live here) and had heard that Fiji was like Kauai 75 years ago. We decided on the Koro Sun as our destination. The airline was not very good from Honolulu (AirPacific) LOOONG delays are standard. A new airline started up so I suggest them. As the van pulled into the resort ,(they pick you up the airport), Julie and I were greeted by the staff singing a fijiian welcome song! We were handed a cold coconut with a straw sticking out and led to the reception area where we were treated to a coconut oil, foot and leg massage! That blew me away. The main reason I felt it was like summer camp is that your day starts when you feel like it. You wander down to the open air restaurant and order breakfast, and by some miracle the staff knows you by your first name! If you hear the tanks clanging at the dive shop and decide you feel like diving you can tell your server that you are going diving today and she will pack a lunch for you. Just walk over to the dive shop and tell them to throw on a couple tanks for you. Or if you want to kayak to one of the close Islands you just tell the activity guy your plans and away you go. No tedious booking or planning your day. At the end of the day, most people meet in the great room for an adult beverage and share their experience of the day. We made new friends from around the planet. Unlike a regular hotel where people come and go anonymously, this style of resort makes you feel at home. We were constantly rearranging tables at dinner time so all our new pals could dine together . And to top it off during our stay I never had to pull out my wallet. No tipping and you get charged at the end of your stay for extras. We live on one of the most awesome islands on the planet and this place exceeds it. We had a lump in our throat as we departed for the airport.

Room Tip: The lighthouse was our spot and it was really private with your own pool and you could launch kayaks...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank triker

Koro Sun Resort & Rainforest Spa

Also consider these accommodations in or near Savusavu
Daku Resort
#8 of 12 in Savusavu
Emaho Sekawa Resort
Emaho Sekawa Resort
#7 of 12 in Savusavu

Been to Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa? Share your experiences!