“Family Adventures in Paradise!!”

Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Savusavu
Reviewed April 6, 2013

My family of 4 recently returned from the most fantastic 14 nights at Koro Sun!
We had to change our normal travel plans to the mamanucas after the resort we frequently visit was closed due to the December cyclone. So forced to look for a new Fiji home I decided to go somewhere completely different and Savu savu was the new destination and Koro Sun the new Resort.

We had an amazing time we stayed in the 2 bedroom Raintree bure which was perfect for our family it was huge and we loved it. The outdoor shower was great! The plunge pool was terrific and to lay on the day bed after a full on day of activity was perfect.

We were kept busy the entire time we were away which is what we like to do.
We took part in the waterfall trip, salt water kayak, kayaks to bat island and the swimming in the grotto, snorkelling out the front of bat island along the wall and inside the reef near the platform and out beyond. We played golf, went hiking, took the trip to the pearl farm, went bike riding, the herbal walk, I had 2 treatments in the rainforest day spa, we went to town a few times. My favourite things to do were the floral arranging classes with Leba, the massage with my daughter, and the cooking class with my son and the brilliant head chef Joe.

I also enjoyed watching the kids and my husband fresh water prawn with Dobbs. We all enjoyed the movie nights hanging around on the daybeds in the lounge. I won the crab race which was great!

The staff are brilliant and treated us like family the whole time. Nothing was too much trouble.

We meet so many lovely lively and happy people mostly from Oz and the US. It was great meeting and chatting to people who were also having a fabulous time.

Vinaka to Jack for inviting us up for the cocktail party at his place that was great, and has the most magnificent views.

The diving was amazing we went to Namena Marine Reserve what a beautiful place to dive that was spectacular.
We absolutely loved the food. It was always so fresh and delicious.

Vinaka to Romanu, Dobbs and John the activity staff for keeping us all entertained.

Vinaka to Mili and all the girls that smiled everyday as they helped in the restaurants. The chocolate milkshakes are the best!!!

Vinaka to Arvin, Mariah, Mela and Geeta.

Vinaka to Jack and Joe for making us feel at home.

Vinaka vaka levu to Ty, Jenia and the boys for making our holiday truly special. It was lovely spending time with you guys. You all went out of your way to make sure we were all having a great stay. We were all very sad to leave.

We didn't like Koro Sun we LOVED it!
We can't wait to come back.

Vinaka vaka levu Koro Sun for a fabulous family holiday that we will all treasure forever! Moce

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Mad_Travel_Girl
TyGoulter, Manager at Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Bula Guys,

It was an absolute pleasure having your family here and thank you very much for your wonderful review.
As the new management here it was great to be able to see the results of the additions that we have made to our family product (like the complimentary "Nannies & Buddies" for the kids) while still providing a great couples destination. The staff have really embrased the "Yes we can" ethos that we now follow, which with families like yours was nothing but fun. I have to say sometimes I had to wonder who was doing the entertaining, you or us!!
And you will always be remembered as the winner of the Inaugural Koro Sun Resort Crab Races!! Go number 5, go you good thing!!
All the team are still talking about you and we look forward to having you back with us when you organise your next get together. Milli and Dobs said to say hi, and my kids are still going on how great you guys were and are looking forward to going fishing with you again, and bugging me almost every day now to take them out, so thanks for that...;o)
Jenia and I wish you all the best.
Take care until we see you again in paradise!

Ty Goulter
Resort General Manager

Reviewed April 3, 2013

Koro Sun is located in a rather remote location, which is what we wanted. They offer daily outings. We would highly recommend these outings to such places as Split Rock for snorkeling, and the village/waterfall.
You'll also regret it if you don't visit the rainforest spa, which is located next to another waterfall. Geeta and Mela give excellent massages. Mili's smile lights up the restaurant, and she won't forget your name. Romano does a terrific job of leading outings, especially the water related ones.
Chef does a fine job of keeping the food varied, tasty, and interesting.
There are two very different accommodation experiences here. The first is the older bures. They could use some updating, but are affordable. If you want a more upscale experience, book a villa.
In all, the Koro Sun was a delight.

Room Tip: See my comments above before selecting your room.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Josaia R, General Manager at Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2015

Happy New Year From the Koro Sun Resort Family.

Thank you for your kind review back in April 2013.

My name is Josaia Rayawa ("JR"). My wife, Margie and I are the new Co-General Managers at Koro Sun Resort & Rainforest Spa. We find this a great opportunity for us to introduce ourselves. Margie and I joined Koro Sun Resort in 2014.

We hope to be able to encourage you to come visit Koro Sun again. We are in the throes of including 8 new floating bures/villas on the lagoon, the first of its kind in Fiji.

Do let us know if you want us to keep you in the loop on the progress. My email is jr@korosunresort.com

Reviewed February 14, 2013

We recently held a yoga retreat at Koro Sun Resort in Fiji and brought a group down from Colorado. None of us had ever been too Fiji before, and this was our first time leading an out-of-country yoga retreat. It could not have been better! The management and staff at Koro Sun made all of our up-front arrangements easy. Upon arrival things just got better -- all of our needs were met, we felt at home, the food was amazing and the accommodations clean and comfortable. Some of the folks in our group had specific dietary needs which were met quite exceptionally. We practiced yoga in the Seaside event center, right by the water and could hear fish jumping and watch the sun set as we practiced. We also took advantage of many events coordinated by the resort, such as snorkeling, hiking, stand-up-paddleboarding and kayaking. We were treated with the utmost care! Thank you!! We will definitely come back!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Michele L

Reviewed February 9, 2013

We had a wonderful time at Koro Sun. The service was excellent, and the food was fantastic. Our edgewater bure was roomy and kept clean. There weren't many guests, so the staff were always availble to assist us. The activities were all very good as well. We enjoyed the small, rustic nature of the resort - definitely not a busy 5 star Carriibean style hotel with a huge beach. Do not expect internet to be available. The people were all very friendly and helpful which really made the vacation special. It was certainly very low key and relaxing which is what we were expecting. We would go back.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed February 4, 2013

My sweetheart and I wanted to get away from the hustle and bustle of Kauai, (we live here) and had heard that Fiji was like Kauai 75 years ago. We decided on the Koro Sun as our destination. The airline was not very good from Honolulu (AirPacific) LOOONG delays are standard. A new airline started up so I suggest them. As the van pulled into the resort ,(they pick you up the airport), Julie and I were greeted by the staff singing a fijiian welcome song! We were handed a cold coconut with a straw sticking out and led to the reception area where we were treated to a coconut oil, foot and leg massage! That blew me away. The main reason I felt it was like summer camp is that your day starts when you feel like it. You wander down to the open air restaurant and order breakfast, and by some miracle the staff knows you by your first name! If you hear the tanks clanging at the dive shop and decide you feel like diving you can tell your server that you are going diving today and she will pack a lunch for you. Just walk over to the dive shop and tell them to throw on a couple tanks for you. Or if you want to kayak to one of the close Islands you just tell the activity guy your plans and away you go. No tedious booking or planning your day. At the end of the day, most people meet in the great room for an adult beverage and share their experience of the day. We made new friends from around the planet. Unlike a regular hotel where people come and go anonymously, this style of resort makes you feel at home. We were constantly rearranging tables at dinner time so all our new pals could dine together . And to top it off during our stay I never had to pull out my wallet. No tipping and you get charged at the end of your stay for extras. We live on one of the most awesome islands on the planet and this place exceeds it. We had a lump in our throat as we departed for the airport.

Room Tip: The lighthouse was our spot and it was really private with your own pool and you could launch kayaks...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank triker

Reviewed February 2, 2013

We stayed here just after the cyclone. There was very little damage but the power was off and so we were told we couldnt stay in the accomodation we had booked as the generator wasnt linked up to it. The accomodation was nice but certainly not 5*. Disapointing that they cut the generators at night and so not even the ceiling fans worked... we werent even told the time that they were going to cut the power and no candles or lights were provided. After a few nights we were moved to our reserved accomodation into one of the old style villas (not the few that had been renovated) - and it was still quite nice, but there were several dirty marks on the walls throughout that should have been cleaned off and the pillows were all very heavily stained and as for the bathroom .... certainly not spacious. We still had power outages and on another night again we were left without power and warning as they turned off the generator. You don't expect to have no cooling mechanism at night in a 5* resort. We were never told why the resort cut the power at night from their generator and no apology was ever offered for doing it (the only comment that was made was by the owner at the bar one night who explained how costly the fuel was to run the generator). Our bed linen was not changed during our entire 10 day stay, athough towels were changed daily - but often not matching and off poor quality. The cleanliness should be improved. When you saw the housekeeping staff - there were no cleaning materials or liquids used other than an old face cloth and a broom.... not satisfactory. On our departure we were asked to complete a questionaire and told that if we supplied an email address then someone would reply to our comments .... well over a month later we have heard nothing - hence my review now. This is nice resort but not a 5* resort in our opinion- unless perhaps you are staying in the most expensive form of accomodation and just so happen to receive great service.
We had read reviews before going about how nice staff were and how special people were treated .. this was not our general experience. There were a few members of staff that did go out of their way for you and the barman, the airport pick up man and the tour guides were certainly the most friendly of all. The spa treatments were good and certainly worth doing as the setting is beautiful and very relaxing. Only one swimming pool was open (we were told that the other pool and some building work had been delayed because of the cyclone .. they must have been very tight on deadline as they looked nowhere near nearly ready)... I would have been extremely disappointed if we had gone with young children. We did a tour to the waterfall which was nice but the chief wasn't there and so we didn't get to see the village or the cava ceremony.

The food was nice, breakfasts were a bit dissapointing .. very limited selection of fresh fruit and some of the cooked breakfast were not up to standard. The lunch and dinners were nice, only a few meals being really nice... and again after a week there it was noticable that the dishes were being repeated on some meals.

We had high expectations of Koro Sun resort and unfortunately these were not met. The attention to detail is definately lacking and the cleanliness could be improved, but the sunsets and spa were wonderful, as was the visit to the local village on Sunday. Some staff were exceptional in their service but sadly not all ......... would we stay there again ... sadly probably not......

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank FernsTours
navale0, Owner at Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

On behalf of the ownership of Koro Sun Resort, we would like to
sincerely apologize that the experience was anything less than exceptional. With a four star rating, we do hope that our guests enjoy exceptional value, unique experiences and accommodations with a casual atmosphere and lovely service that exceeds expectations. We would like to reiterate to any future guests that we are not a five star property as the reviewer suggested. We do stand by our rating as well as our advertisement of such.

UPDATE We have appointed new managers who joined our team on February 5th, with a great deal of experience in the resort industry. We are very confident they will be improving our operations and guest experience for future guests to come.

Your concerns with regards to linen and furnishings in your bure, along with the bathroom being very small are the motivating factors for why we have recently been refurbishing these units. We are working on new soft furnishings at the moment along with bathroom expansions in the Raintree Bures.

We were happy to hear that you enjoyed the company of our Food and Beverage staff, especially our Barman.

Plans are already in motion for the whole resort to be facilitated with proper back up power from the Fiji Electricity Authority. Our sincere apologies that there was a communication error and disruption to your power during your stay. This was an unplanned event we were not able to plan for with no warning. As such, we were scrambling to turn on back up generators to facilitate as many burrs as possible. This is a rare and unlikely event, however a major disruption to the enjoyment of your stay, for this we are very sorry.

With regards to the cleaning of your room I am pleased to inform you that the resort has recently acquired the services of a qualified Executive housekeeper and she is the wife our new General Manager who has been working in Europe and other South Pacific five star resort and brings with her an abundance of experience which will lift the standard.
Thanks for your comments,
Jack Young- Owner

Reviewed January 21, 2013

This is not a four or five star resort--our American Express travel agent booked us there giving the impression that it was and it made for an unpleasant stay. Things are run down, the majority of the resort is across the main road from the beach, the service is spotty (occasionally quite good, but you really never know) and you will be nickel and dimed. I felt sorry for the honeymooners for whom this was their only stop on the Fijian islands. The food can be okay, but several meals I found inedible and considering you are at an all-inclusive resort without the means to eat elsewhere this was a problem. It was my impression that everyone at Koro Sun means well, but they have limited resources to correct the problems inherent at the resort. This being said, I lay the blame for the disappointment of this trip on our American Express travel agent who claimed to be a "Fiji Specialist". Never again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Adzema
navale0, Owner at Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

As a small family owned and operated resort, it is always disappointing to see that a guest did not enjoy their time with us. During the reviewers stay in July 2012, they conveyed their disappointment of the room not meeting their expectations to our general manager. At this stage our GM offered to upgrade the clients to a private villa with swimming pool as well as the option to depart early and receive a refund of unused nights. The guests chose to stay the remainder of the booked nights.

The booking travel agent inaccurately sold Koro Sun as a five star resort rather than the 4 star resort that we proudly advertise in all our website and collateral. We are careful to portray our four star rating to future guests with the majority of our clients sincerely enjoying their stay with us, as our previous reviews will support

The itinerary for these guests involved the Intercontinental Resort and Wakaya Island Resort, both 5 star properties prior to and after Koro Sun. Guests who choose to combine Koro Sun with 5 star resorts (which does happen on occasion) should be aware that the facilities and amenities do tend to differ between Wakaya’s USD2,000 a night tariff and the USD400 that the reviewers booked at Koro Sun.
We are looking forward to welcoming our honeymooners and families alike in the near future. Should you have any questions for our management team, please feel free to contact us: marketing@korosunresort.com
Thank you and Vinaka from beautiful Savusavu, Fiji

- Management

Also consider these accommodations in or near Savusavu
Daku Resort
#8 of 12 in Savusavu
Emaho Sekawa Resort
Emaho Sekawa Resort
#7 of 12 in Savusavu

Been to Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa? Share your experiences!