“Amazing Yoga Retreat Experience!”

Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Savusavu
Durango, Colorado
“Amazing Yoga Retreat Experience!”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

We recently held a yoga retreat at Koro Sun Resort in Fiji and brought a group down from Colorado. None of us had ever been too Fiji before, and this was our first time leading an out-of-country yoga retreat. It could not have been better! The management and staff at Koro Sun made all of our up-front arrangements easy. Upon arrival things just got better -- all of our needs were met, we felt at home, the food was amazing and the accommodations clean and comfortable. Some of the folks in our group had specific dietary needs which were met quite exceptionally. We practiced yoga in the Seaside event center, right by the water and could hear fish jumping and watch the sun set as we practiced. We also took advantage of many events coordinated by the resort, such as snorkeling, hiking, stand-up-paddleboarding and kayaking. We were treated with the utmost care! Thank you!! We will definitely come back!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Michele L
Josaia R, General Manager at Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa, responded to this review, January 13, 2015

Thank you for your kind review back in February 2013.

My name is Josaia Rayawa ("JR"). My wife, Margie and I are the new Co-General Managers at Koro Sun Resort & Rainforest Spa. We find this a great opportunity for us to introduce ourselves. Margie and I joined Koro Sun Resort in 2014.

We hope to be able to encourage you to come visit Koro Sun again. We are in the throes of including 8 new floating bures/villas on the lagoon, the first of its kind in Fiji.

Do let us know if you want us to keep you in the loop on the progress. My email is jr@korosunresort.com

Koro Sun Resort & Rainforest Spa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Red Lake, Canada
Reviewed February 9, 2013

We had a wonderful time at Koro Sun. The service was excellent, and the food was fantastic. Our edgewater bure was roomy and kept clean. There weren't many guests, so the staff were always availble to assist us. The activities were all very good as well. We enjoyed the small, rustic nature of the resort - definitely not a busy 5 star Carriibean style hotel with a huge beach. Do not expect internet to be available. The people were all very friendly and helpful which really made the vacation special. It was certainly very low key and relaxing which is what we were expecting. We would go back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

kauai
Reviewed February 4, 2013

My sweetheart and I wanted to get away from the hustle and bustle of Kauai, (we live here) and had heard that Fiji was like Kauai 75 years ago. We decided on the Koro Sun as our destination. The airline was not very good from Honolulu (AirPacific) LOOONG delays are standard. A new airline started up so I suggest them. As the van pulled into the resort ,(they pick you up the airport), Julie and I were greeted by the staff singing a fijiian welcome song! We were handed a cold coconut with a straw sticking out and led to the reception area where we were treated to a coconut oil, foot and leg massage! That blew me away. The main reason I felt it was like summer camp is that your day starts when you feel like it. You wander down to the open air restaurant and order breakfast, and by some miracle the staff knows you by your first name! If you hear the tanks clanging at the dive shop and decide you feel like diving you can tell your server that you are going diving today and she will pack a lunch for you. Just walk over to the dive shop and tell them to throw on a couple tanks for you. Or if you want to kayak to one of the close Islands you just tell the activity guy your plans and away you go. No tedious booking or planning your day. At the end of the day, most people meet in the great room for an adult beverage and share their experience of the day. We made new friends from around the planet. Unlike a regular hotel where people come and go anonymously, this style of resort makes you feel at home. We were constantly rearranging tables at dinner time so all our new pals could dine together . And to top it off during our stay I never had to pull out my wallet. No tipping and you get charged at the end of your stay for extras. We live on one of the most awesome islands on the planet and this place exceeds it. We had a lump in our throat as we departed for the airport.

Room Tip: The lighthouse was our spot and it was really private with your own pool and you could launch kayaks...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank triker

Rotorua
Reviewed February 2, 2013

We stayed here just after the cyclone. There was very little damage but the power was off and so we were told we couldnt stay in the accomodation we had booked as the generator wasnt linked up to it. The accomodation was nice but certainly not 5*. Disapointing that they cut the generators at night and so not even the ceiling fans worked... we werent even told the time that they were going to cut the power and no candles or lights were provided. After a few nights we were moved to our reserved accomodation into one of the old style villas (not the few that had been renovated) - and it was still quite nice, but there were several dirty marks on the walls throughout that should have been cleaned off and the pillows were all very heavily stained and as for the bathroom .... certainly not spacious. We still had power outages and on another night again we were left without power and warning as they turned off the generator. You don't expect to have no cooling mechanism at night in a 5* resort. We were never told why the resort cut the power at night from their generator and no apology was ever offered for doing it (the only comment that was made was by the owner at the bar one night who explained how costly the fuel was to run the generator). Our bed linen was not changed during our entire 10 day stay, athough towels were changed daily - but often not matching and off poor quality. The cleanliness should be improved. When you saw the housekeeping staff - there were no cleaning materials or liquids used other than an old face cloth and a broom.... not satisfactory. On our departure we were asked to complete a questionaire and told that if we supplied an email address then someone would reply to our comments .... well over a month later we have heard nothing - hence my review now. This is nice resort but not a 5* resort in our opinion- unless perhaps you are staying in the most expensive form of accomodation and just so happen to receive great service.
We had read reviews before going about how nice staff were and how special people were treated .. this was not our general experience. There were a few members of staff that did go out of their way for you and the barman, the airport pick up man and the tour guides were certainly the most friendly of all. The spa treatments were good and certainly worth doing as the setting is beautiful and very relaxing. Only one swimming pool was open (we were told that the other pool and some building work had been delayed because of the cyclone .. they must have been very tight on deadline as they looked nowhere near nearly ready)... I would have been extremely disappointed if we had gone with young children. We did a tour to the waterfall which was nice but the chief wasn't there and so we didn't get to see the village or the cava ceremony.

The food was nice, breakfasts were a bit dissapointing .. very limited selection of fresh fruit and some of the cooked breakfast were not up to standard. The lunch and dinners were nice, only a few meals being really nice... and again after a week there it was noticable that the dishes were being repeated on some meals.

We had high expectations of Koro Sun resort and unfortunately these were not met. The attention to detail is definately lacking and the cleanliness could be improved, but the sunsets and spa were wonderful, as was the visit to the local village on Sunday. Some staff were exceptional in their service but sadly not all ......... would we stay there again ... sadly probably not......

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank FernsTours
navale0, Owner at Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
On behalf of the ownership of Koro Sun Resort, we would like to
sincerely apologize that the experience was anything less than exceptional. With a four star rating, we do hope that our guests enjoy exceptional value, unique experiences and accommodations with a casual atmosphere and lovely service that exceeds expectations. We would like to reiterate to any future guests that we are not a five star property as the reviewer suggested. We do stand by our rating as well as our advertisement of such.

UPDATE We have appointed new managers who joined our team on February 5th, with a great deal of experience in the resort industry. We are very confident they will be improving our operations and guest experience for future guests to come.

Your concerns with regards to linen and furnishings in your bure, along with the bathroom being very small are the motivating factors for why we have recently been refurbishing these units. We are working on new soft furnishings at the moment along with bathroom expansions in the Raintree Bures.

We were happy to hear that you enjoyed the company of our Food and Beverage staff, especially our Barman.

Plans are already in motion for the whole resort to be facilitated with proper back up power from the Fiji Electricity Authority. Our sincere apologies that there was a communication error and disruption to your power during your stay. This was an unplanned event we were not able to plan for with no warning. As such, we were scrambling to turn on back up generators to facilitate as many burrs as possible. This is a rare and unlikely event, however a major disruption to the enjoyment of your stay, for this we are very sorry.

With regards to the cleaning of your room I am pleased to inform you that the resort has recently acquired the services of a qualified Executive housekeeper and she is the wife our new General Manager who has been working in Europe and other South Pacific five star resort and brings with her an abundance of experience which will lift the standard.
Thanks for your comments,
Jack Young- Owner
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed January 21, 2013

This is not a four or five star resort--our American Express travel agent booked us there giving the impression that it was and it made for an unpleasant stay. Things are run down, the majority of the resort is across the main road from the beach, the service is spotty (occasionally quite good, but you really never know) and you will be nickel and dimed. I felt sorry for the honeymooners for whom this was their only stop on the Fijian islands. The food can be okay, but several meals I found inedible and considering you are at an all-inclusive resort without the means to eat elsewhere this was a problem. It was my impression that everyone at Koro Sun means well, but they have limited resources to correct the problems inherent at the resort. This being said, I lay the blame for the disappointment of this trip on our American Express travel agent who claimed to be a "Fiji Specialist". Never again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Adzema
navale0, Owner at Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
As a small family owned and operated resort, it is always disappointing to see that a guest did not enjoy their time with us. During the reviewers stay in July 2012, they conveyed their disappointment of the room not meeting their expectations to our general manager. At this stage our GM offered to upgrade the clients to a private villa with swimming pool as well as the option to depart early and receive a refund of unused nights. The guests chose to stay the remainder of the booked nights.

The booking travel agent inaccurately sold Koro Sun as a five star resort rather than the 4 star resort that we proudly advertise in all our website and collateral. We are careful to portray our four star rating to future guests with the majority of our clients sincerely enjoying their stay with us, as our previous reviews will support

The itinerary for these guests involved the Intercontinental Resort and Wakaya Island Resort, both 5 star properties prior to and after Koro Sun. Guests who choose to combine Koro Sun with 5 star resorts (which does happen on occasion) should be aware that the facilities and amenities do tend to differ between Wakaya’s USD2,000 a night tariff and the USD400 that the reviewers booked at Koro Sun.
We are looking forward to welcoming our honeymooners and families alike in the near future. Should you have any questions for our management team, please feel free to contact us: marketing@korosunresort.com
Thank you and Vinaka from beautiful Savusavu, Fiji

- Management
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed January 20, 2013

We stayed for two weeks in Koro Sun and had a wonderful time. The staff knew our name after the first day and took personal attention to make sure that we were very comfortable the whole time. The food and dining area are very nice and elegant but we felt comfortable dining in shorts and sandals. The part that I liked most about the resort was that I think there was only about 20 other families and couples there at any given day so it was a change from the vacations we have taken in Mexican resorts where we felt herded through the system and very impersonal.
The owner, Jack Young, invited everyone up to his house twice during our two week stay for cocktails and hors d'oeuvres. You can tell that he takes a personal interest in his resort and enjoys socializing with the guests. I felt he was a genuine person and I had a great time talking to him.
The room we stayed in was adequate for our family of 4 (2 teenage kids). There is a low-amperage power converter in the bathroom and all of our electronics automatically converted over to the 240v. I would suggest taking outlet adapters or a power strip because the outlets are different than US. I liked that the rooms (bures) were separate and felt like bungalos vs a hotel room. Like most tropical places, we had minor encounters with bugs and spiders and most guests reported that one or two geckos were present in the rooms. It didn't bother me because I felt they most likely ate the bugs and they are harmless. The kids enjoyed seeing them on occasion.
The diving was amazing and the crew of Koro Sun Diving were fantastic! My kids and I are beginner divers and the crew made sure that we were happy at all times. It was my daughter's first dive after certification and the dive master held her hand and was a personal guide the entire first dive! What great service! The reef is about half a mile from the dive shop and we spent most of our time within a 10 minute boat ride to the sites. We encountered a variety of life such as turtles, reef sharks, eels, and hammer heads! We took a 2 hour ride one day to a marine reserve that offered more diverse encounters and well worth the trip.
Speaking of cash, I suggest take as much cash as you plan to spend outside of the hotel. Most local vendors do not accept credit cards and if they do, they seem to be reluctant. Cabs don't take cards either. Buy your alcohol for your room at the duty free shop. It doesn't seem like much of a bargain but the alcohol in town is about 30% more. The drinks at the resort range from $3 to $15 FJD.
Overall, we enjoyed the experience immensely and are considering returning to the resort in the future. I want to thank Jack and his staff as well as Koro Sun Dive for a vacation that we will remember for a lifetime!

Room Tip: The rooms on the Lagoon have the best view and access to the ocean. They seem to be the newest addi...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Batesbri
Happy New Year From the Koro Sun Resort Family.

Thank you for your kind review back in January, 2013.

Sonoma, CA
Reviewed December 28, 2012

The resort has a nice restaurant and the staff are very helpful and friendly, in fact I should have given them a 5/5. The food is great however after a few days you wanna venture out of there. My family went to another resort called Jean Costeaux (I think that's what it's called. You drive through Savusavu over to the other side of the island and through a really really muddy slippery dangerous road to get to. Wasn't worth the experience as it was overly expensive for a 3 star food and service). Try the Joseph's bar and restaurant downtown.
The activities provided by the resort is excellent and you pay per person about $40 on average to go. The childcare is excellent. There is really no sandy beach at the resort. Lots of mosquitoes but is to be expected as the resort backs up to a rainforest. Our kids did ok given we applied bug repellent with deet. The bures are comfy for a family of 4 as they have two bedrooms and a living room. Clean enough but nothing fancy. they are dated. The golf course is not a good one that we didn't even use it. I could live with all that however, I will never go back because of Air Pacific terrible service! After talking carefully and booking through them as stopping in Fiji was one leg of our South Pacific traveling, they still changed our flight dates last minute. As a result, we were able to change some o our hotel bookings but not all. Sofitel Nadi could not issue us a refund for a one night stopover that didn't happen bc the airline changed our itenerary last minute and flew us interisland same day- after telling us they couldn't in the first place. Then we were in Suva for three nights bc we missed our flight out to Tonga. This was indeed a very expensive trip. It would have served us better to go from the U.S. to New Zealand then Tahiti, Cook Islands and avoid Fiji all together. Oh oh, may I mention the delays at the airport? In Tonga it was an overnight delay on the main island. Delays for 4 hours in Nadi waiting to come back to the U.S. and it was absolutely difficult for a family with 2 kids. Also when we initially arrived in Nadi from LAX, they only had two officers serving us at immigration and then it went down to only one. They had a nice Fijian band playing nice music but I would prefer they offer more help serving visitors at arrival, especially when expecting a full 747 flight! My understanding is that tourism is a major industry for them. It didn't convey at the airport.
Overall, our two (one of which unintented) weeks in Fiji was awesome- amidst the super chaos you have to make it work. It's a magical place full of mountains, waterfalls and rivers. Warm hearted people - I love them! I won't visit anytime soon though. Air pacific was so disheartening. I wrote to them twice and asked if they could do something about our Sofitel refund - which was only one of so many mess-up but that was the one we felt we couldn't do anything about, and never heard a thing except an automated reply both times indicating that my message had been forwarded to...an invisible office with invisible people?

• Stayed June 2012
3 Thank Sandy98
Happy New Year From the Koro Sun Resort Family.

Thank you for your review back in December 2012.

Koro Sun Resort & Rainforest Spa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Savusavu
Namale Resort & Spa
#7 of 12 in Savusavu
Naveria Heights Lodge
Naveria Heights Lodge
#8 of 12 in Savusavu

Been to Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa? Share your experiences!