“Honeymoon Heaven”

Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Savusavu
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Just for back our 7-day Honeymoon at the Koro Sun and I already miss the place!
I was in love with the place from the first time I walked in. It has the most beatiful greenery all around the property. It was exactly how I expected it to be, a beatiful place to simply lay back and relax; enjoy some good drinks, enjoy great food, enjoy great views , and if you want to fun activities for you to choose from.
This isn't the place if you are looking for loud club music,dancing and drunk people staying up late and and partying until the wee hours of the morning... NOPE this is a chill place.
The food is amazing and there was nothing that we didn't like , Hats Off to the chef loved my morning vegetable omelet with the biscuits....yummmy.
The activities provided are great and I can't say enough about the guides ALL of them extremely friendly and love to show you the "real authentic Fiji" like they say.
The guided snorkeling with John was so much fun (unfortunately I got really bad scratches on my legs from the Coral Reefs..who knew those things were as sharp as broken glass??)
The Waterfall excursion with Romanu was amazing and our favorite :)
The village trip is a unique experience and it really humbles you. The people don't have much there yet they are as happy as can be.
The cave at Bat Island is absolutely beautiful!!
We would definitely recommend Koro Sun- it is a perfect place for a quiet, relaxed Honeymoon.
The people are all extremely friendly and helpful.We give the Koro Sun 5 star rate.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Josaia R, General Manager at Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2015

Happy New Year From the Koro Sun Resort Family.

Thank you for your review back in September 2012.

My name is Josaia Rayawa ("JR"). My wife, Margie and I are the new Co-General Managers at Koro Sun Resort & Rainforest Spa. We find this a great opportunity for us to introduce ourselves. Margie and I joined Koro Sun Resort in 2014.

We hope to be able to encourage you to come visit Koro Sun again. We are in the throes of including 8 new floating bures/villas on the lagoon, the first of its kind in Fiji.

Do let us know if you want us to keep you in the loop on the progress. My email is jr@korosunresort.com

There are newer reviews for Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa

Reviewed September 4, 2012

I've just re-read some of the reviews of Koro Sun Resort and I'm wondering if we were at the same place? I believe it's all about expectations and Koro Sun does a very good job of setting high expectations! The website makes it look like it's paradise under the sun. Buyer beware.....

First, the good news - the staff - they can not do enough for you!! They are so nice, kind and sweet! Millie, head of beverages and food, has a smile that would light up the room! They truly are so welcoming - the problem is the product they have to work with. It truly reminded us of a bungelow colony in the Catskills or the Poconos. It's located on the main Hbiscus Highway, which, granted, is not the New Jersey Turnpike, but it still has enough cars and trucks going along it. This highway actually run through the resort and we could hear the noise from our room! One truck was so loud I thought it was a helicopter!

Secondly, let's talk about cushions on the chairs and couches in the lounge room that were so dirty, it was gross! I'm sure it's been a very long time since they've been changed and they show it! I really didn't want to sit on them. The cushions at the 'beach' were beyond gross and forget about sitting on the chair in our room. NO WAY!!! A lot of the wood on the buildings is rotting and in desperate need of repair and I don't imagine the pool has been cleaned in a very long time and the cement walkway around the pool was gross! I'm sure it has never been powerwashed No one sat at the pool at all! It was really gross. We took a walk by the bueres along the water and one gate was open. Their pool was filthy as well!

The beach, well, lets just say its hard to call that a beach. Enough said. The fact that they advertise a golf course is such a joke!! I think there are 3 or 4 holes - It's just not good enough to put a tee and a hole with a flag and call it a golf course! One hole had a tractor in the middle with the area around it dug up and another had deep ruts from a car that drove thru the mud! The grass in between looked like it hadn't been mowed in....forever! If you play golf and go to this place, keep your sense of humor! The website mentions unlimited snorkeling and kayaking. The schedule showed snorkeling on Saturday and kayaking to Bat Island on Sunday.

My husband and I were out of there the next morning. We paid for 5 nights - there was no way we were staying. We chalked it up to an opps. Check carefully!! DO not be decieved by websites that look beautiful. The computer is an amazing thing!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank joshmom
navale0, Owner at Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2012

At Koro Sun, we appreciate that our resort may not be the best fit for each and every person during their holiday, however most of our guests have given us an approval rating above 90%. Updates on the property in the last 30 days include the following:
-Two new Mini Bus transfer vans
-New cushions and lounge chairs with throw pillows at our pools.
- Regular cleaning around pool area and beach.

As the reviewer said, if you play our golf course, have a sense of humor. It is built in the middle of the rainforest, and a complimentary pitch N putt experience for our guests. In no way to we market it otherwise.
We do stand by the fact that kayaks are right in front of the resort at our Marina with over 8 kayaks for our guests use complimentary with any guide or on your own.
Thank you for your comments, and to future guests considering Koro Sun.

Reviewed September 3, 2012

This is the perfect place to relax for your honeymoon. The staff goes above and beyond to make sure you have a wonderful time and they are extremely friendly. Koro Sun is a very unique place with wonderful views that truly scream "Paradise"! The food was pretty good, mostly local dishes. Also their are plenty of excursions offered to the guests. When you walk in from a long flight and are greeted by such friendly people and a foot massage you know that you are in for a great experience. We were lucky enough to experience two different rooms with different views, the rainforest honeymoon bure was a great experience and edgewater bure was also amazing. We would definitely recommend Koro Sun- it is a perfect place for a Honeymoon! Very quiet and peaceful....a one of a kind honeymoon resort!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NMT78

Happy New Year From the Koro Sun Resort Family.

Thank you for your review back in September 2012.

Reviewed August 30, 2012

If you are looking for white, sandy beaches at your doorstep, waiter service by the pool and partying to midnight or beyond, this is not the place for you. On the other hand, if you are looking for a unique experience in an intimate, friendly and quiet environment it will suit you down to the ground.
While there are negatives, e.g. maintenance of some facilities could be better and getting a cold bottle of wine on the table promptly at mealtimes (I suggest ordering something that they have ready to hand in the bar before sitting down) these are more than countered by the positives.
The staff are overwhelmingly friendly and cannot do too much for you. At the end of the week we spent there it was almost like saying goodbye to family. Likewise, most of the visitors were very friendly and because of the small numbers we met people from all around the globe while sharing the same activities.
Of all the activities offered, the highlight was the waterfall expedition. The visit to the village beforehand was an eye opener, seeing firsthand the almost subsistence farming and fishing lifestyle, yet no sign of unhappiness or despair. Followed up by a refreshing swim under a waterfall and you have a lifetime memory. Another highlight was looking out the window one morning and watching a mongoose (apparently imported by Indian migrants afraid of the harmless local snakes which are now almost non- existent as a result) stroll past.
Having since experienced the meke and lovo at the Westin Denauru,the Wednesday night meke and lovo at Koro Sun may be simpler, but better by far.
It is worth going that little bit further.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Trevor W

Reviewed August 26, 2012

Koro Sun resort was one of the most amazing experiences of a lifetime. My wife and I are seasoned travelers. The difference between one and 5 star traveling can be extreme. We have to rate our stay here as 5 star. The food was amazing fresh and unique from the presentations to the cutting edge blends . The grounds were beyond our expectations.The diving and sea life in the area I would put at the 6 star level! And the people were the salt of the earth. Friendly warm and full of the true meaning of Aloha. I would recommend this resort as one of the top places in the world you should visit! I made some friends of a lifetime and look forward to another trip to this destination.

Room Tip: The cottages over the water were amazing, but any spot on this resort would be phenomenal!
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Emery278

Reviewed August 24, 2012

Unfortunately, we decided to take our honeymoon at the Koro Sun resort this past June 2012. We wanted to go someplace where the weather was great, warm and SUNNY! My husband wanted adventure and I wanted to sit on a beach with a mai tie. I want to start with the positives and let people know it wasn't all bad and hopefully paint a picture for future honeymooners that may be looking for what we were looking for, but didn't get. This is a place to relax and enjoy the beautiful surroundings. It is very low-key and unassuming. The Edge water villas where we stayed were out of this world fantastic! They were two stories and had a surround pool in the front. The rainforest that the resort was surrounded by was absolutely beautiful. The snorkeling was great too.

What happened was we were expecting a Sandals resort with great pools, lounges, beaches where they served you drinks around the clock! The Koro Sun is great for relaxation, but thats really all there is to it. There are no great pools or even really a beach to lay out on. They do have a very small beach with two large swings to lay on, but that's about it. Anytime we ordered a drink, it was as if we were putting the staff out and we constantly felt guilty about ordering a drink or even asking for anything. There were a few staff members we did love and were a delight, especially the great tour guides, but for the most part we felt like they hated us. We had a beach picnic where they packed us a picnic and drove us to another beach to have lunch. They proceeded to leave us there for 2.5 hours when we were supposed to be picked up after one hour. We had to pack everything up and walk back to the resort. There was also a meal worm in our pasta salad at the picnic. Both my husband and I got food poisoning. We came to find out that the other honeymoon couples we met got food poisoning as well.

The resort though beautiful, could really use a facelift. It does have a certain old charm to it and some people may love that about the resort. It just wasn't what we were looking for. There were no phones in the room so anytime you needed something you had to walk all the way to the front desk. There was also no room service unless you asked for your meal to be delivered the day before. We never had clean towels unless we asked for them and we also never had toiletpaper replaced unless we asked. There was also no hot water when taking a shower. It was lukewarm at best, but never hot. The luxuries we were hoping for after paying such a large amount of money for our honeymoon, were not experienced at all.

Bottom line, if you want your honeymoon to be full of excitement, adventure, lounging pools, room service, drink service, and beautiful beaches...do not go to this resort!

Room Tip: Definitely go for the Edge water villa!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Mandy F

Reviewed August 17, 2012

If you into First Class Luxury resort.  This is not your type of hotel.  This is more family resort.

My travel agent suggested this hotel. It came with all inclusive package. I read many of reviews in the TripVisor also.  The resort located at  second large Fiji island Savusavu.

Friendly staffs through out the resort.  Very nice, it makes your vacation more enjoyable, feel more welcome.  Lots smile. Lots friendly greeting. Resort packed all activities for gusts every day.  Some of activities free, some of cost money. Three meals, morning and afternoon tea.  You will choice your next day meal the night before. They have oaky selections of food.  One nigh I was extra hungry, I asked for one more order of main corse, they told me no more food. :-( and, I was little disappointed resort did not offer any Fijian style local food to us when we were there. I will highly suggest the resort to offer more local style food unless twice a week.   Although its all inclusive, I will highly suggest you know what kind of drinks are included, what is not included before you order any exotic drinks, even soft drinks.   No free wifi in the resort.   The ocean view room in the resort website is not on the beach. Yes, you may have ocean view from your room. The only 5 rooms on the real beach are those EdageWater room.  Rest resort rooms are other side of road.  Resort does not have shuttle bus goes into town daily.  We took taxi cost about $16 Fiji money each way. There is local bus goes into town cost about$1.60fiji money. But, because everyone in Fiji time. It suppose goes every 2 hrs.  We never able to catch the bus. Lots family with baby or kids stay in this resort.  It did not bother us at all, beside meal time. We really enjoy the time in Fiji. Time spent in the resort.

I only giving 3 .5 stars because some of basic stuff not very up to the standards. Each day, we have to asking  for soap, shampoo and conditions.  The house keepers never leavs extra for us. being fiji resort like this people may take shower 2 or more a day. The shower room, sinks  they may not cleaning everyday.  On the beach, near the pool those cushions are dirty.

My tip. If your flight will be arrival early in the morning.  Be sure you arrange.  A Day room ahead of time,and late check out maybe, depends on your leaving time.  We arrived about 8:00 in the morning, because the room is available,  they let us checked in a day room first. Until after 3pm, they took us to our reserved room. It make much compatible for us.  We took shower and refreshed our self, started our vacation on the same day.  Most important, you on Fiji time. Everything in fijintime. Be more patient. What's the rush.... After all you are in Fiji.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Qrottyspj

Koro Sun Resort & Rainforest Spa

Also consider these accommodations in or near Savusavu
Daku Resort
#8 of 12 in Savusavu
Emaho Sekawa Resort
Emaho Sekawa Resort
#7 of 12 in Savusavu

Been to Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa? Share your experiences!