“The right mix of Luxury and Experience” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa

Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Savusavu
Vancouver, Canada
“The right mix of Luxury and Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2012

We have just left the Koro Sun resort and are already planning our return visit. We travelled with our 12 year old son and spent 7 nights. Overall, we had a fabulous experience and would recommend it for couples or families looking for 4 star + adventure and relaxation experience. This is the real Fiji and was very different than our first week in Nadi. It was well worth the extra travel to Savusavu.

Here is the long and the short of our visit:

Staff - Outstanding. We tried to remember everyone's names so sorry guys if we missed anybody! The club house and resort was managed by Michael and Leba and we dealt with Mela H and Eva quite a bit at reception. All were very accommodating and a pleasure. Across the resort there were all sorts of unchoreographed extra touches like flowers tucked in the towels, a little evening band featuring John, Lai, Joe and entourage who were always keen so share a cup of Kava. Everyone seemed to enjoy making the stay that little bit more. Jack the owner was on site the week we visited and was very personable along with hosting a nice cocktail reception from his mountain top Villa (spectacular).

Activities - Manu and Dobbs. I can't say enough about these guys. We are not typically "activity" based travellers, but thoroughly enjoyed their company and the excursions the resort offered. These guys were personable and pro-active with all sorts of free activities (snorkeling, kayaking, hand line fishing, Bat Island, coconut demo, volleyball etc..etc...- our son was in heaven) We took advantage of some paid excursions including the Dolphin viewing (great snorkeling here as well), Waterfall trip (our son did it twice), Snorkeling and the Local Market visit. We had done school and village trips at another resort so didn't take advantage of these but heard via other guests that they were also good. We hit the Pearl shop ourselves, no time to fit everything in!

Food - Excellent. Each day you had a choice of 3 dishes for lunch and dinner the next day and each meal was 3 course (starter, entree, dessert). Joe, the head chef utilized a lot of local, fresh ingredients and as somebody who really likes their food, I had a running dialogue with him about what and how he was cooking everything which he was very happy to discuss. There were many good options for breakfast that you chose each morning when you arrived starting with fresh fruit. We took advantage of the breakfast in bed which was nice and the "couples" dinner on the beach which included our son. This setting was spectacular. The private beach and pier lit up with candles and lanterns, table and chairs with red ribbons and white silk wrap, flower petals, complimentary wine and after a week of discussing food with Joe, a special seafood feast of lobster, prawns, mussels and Walu, local fern in coconut cream along with a pumpkin, honey, ginger soup (a different soup every day - all fabulous). Chocolate pudding. I could go on and on here, the kids menu was good and flexible, a baked snack available at 3pm if needed (it was never needed), reasonable cocktail prices, sea side dining some nights etc..etc..etc…Oni, Milli and Va were our most frequent meal hosts and were a delight – the best service we had in Fiji.

Room – We were in a 2 bedroom Rainforest Bure with plunge pool, full kitchen. It was very comfortable and well kept by our housekeeper Serena (also a good dancer by the way). There were many little extras with room turndown nightly which was an unexpected touch.

Spa – We had a fabulous couples massage with Mela L and Geeta. The massage itself was great and the location was equally as good. The treatment “rooms” are located deep in the resort rainforest away from everything and next to a stream with waterfall. You would be hard pressed to think about anything during the treatment with the candlelight (required even in the day due to location) and encompassing sound of the waterfall is absolutely stellar. Our only regret was that we couldn’t squeeze in any more treatments.

Pools and Grounds – Fili does a great job with the grounds, which are extensive and well kept. The main pool is small and intimate but more than adequate and a nice place to socialize with other guests or enjoy a private moment. The kids pool was set-up with a water slide (surprisingly good) and volleyball net and day beds.

Beach – We were a bit worried by what looked like a small beach before we arrived but actually there was rarely anyone there and it was quite nice. There was a little 2 foot wall dropping into a shallow sandy lagoon that was great for snorkeling.

Diving – My wife and son did their dive certifications at the resort with Koro Sun dive. Colin got them through two pool dives, and 4 ocean dives in 4 days and they were ecstatic. Incidentally, the resort also has a nice little projection theatre room with recliners which was ideal my wife and son to watch the instructional videos. The diving was spectacular with two great sites 5 minutes from the resort.

My only other advice from my own experience in planning this adventure for our family is not go get confused by too many options when looking for resorts. I found myself jumping around from the main island to small remote islands etc.. etc.. In my opinion while there may be good options on the big Island this was far more the vacation we were looking for.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
9 Thank VTatIQ
navale0, Director of Sales at Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa, responded to this review, March 30, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough review of your experience at Koro Sun. It was a pleasure having you and your family stay with us this March. The team at Koro Sun, really appreciates the individual mentions of staff that made your stay a special experience, we will be sure they are able to read your kind words! Vinaka, and please stay warm this Spring. Fiji will be warm and waiting for you on your next trip to paradise with open arms.

Vinaka,

Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2012

We stayed in Koro Sun in september 2011 (sorry it has taken so long to write this) and still dream of going back. I went to share my 4oth birthday with my family and two other families and got far more than we expected. What make this place so amazing is the staff. As a large group we were made incredible welcome on arrival and within minutes or arriving the staff new all our names including all the kids names (all 8).

The accomadation was great and suited us perfectly. The buree's were clean and kept clean and tidy throughout the stay. The food was fantastic authetic Fijian cuisine and while there a special Lovo (feast) was put on for my birthday with all the kids entertained while the adults had a great time. The Kokonda (marinated raw fish) is to die for, as was much of the authentic vegetables (taro and ota (sp?) might not be for everones taste but we all loved it) and other fresh fish and seafood. The kids got to choose kid friendly or authetic food option which also suited.

The location is amazing and the trips to the waterfall and the kayak around bat island are stunning. The school visit is a must for families with children and I know our kids all enjoyed and appreciated that. When not participating in activities there is plenty of freedom to take a trip into Savusavu to the amazing market or to wander up the road and walk out over tidal plains before dropping off into beautiful undisturbed coral reefs. Alternatively doing nothing by the pool or in the hammock by the little beach, playing volleyball with the top resort volleyball team on the island or just relaxing while wandering the grounds, before having an amazing banana leaf treatment is perfect - you couldn't ask for more. In the evenings having a drink and then joining the Bula Boys for a Kava session and listening to their amazing voices are memories I will never forget. The CD of the Bula Boys I got as a present is a treasured memory.

As I have said in the beginning though it is the staff that make place what it is and why I can't wait to come back. Mili your hospitality, warmth and infectious smile made it impossible not to feel welcome, part of the family. Mana at the bar in the evenings was always a joy and rum punch to die for!! Mele and the rest of the crew at the kids club you guys were woderful with our kids - you always treated them with respect and they appreciated that. You were always warm and helpful, but never overbearing. Mela and those on the front desk thanks for ensuring things went to plan and that this trip was everything and more.

Tui, Solo and Romanu our boys idolised you guys and they all wanted to hang out with you guys on any trips and around the resort . You were so great with them and so patient and warm and with all of us on the activities - kayaking, waterfall, volleyball. The blokes also appreciated so much, allowing us to join you to watch the rugby and being so patient playing volley ball.

John, Vili and the rest of the Bula Boys your artistry is awesome and thanks for welcoming us to join you it made the experiece so memorable. Freddy still talks about you John!

I know I would have forgotten someone or got someones name wrong and so I apologise for that, but will make sure that we get it right next time we come over.

Bula everyone, vinaka vaka levu and see you next time.

Pita, Nicole, India, Charlie and Freddy
Simon, Penny, Julian, Sebastian, Quinn
Ryan, Sue, Henny, Pablo

PS: Anyone wanting to sit by a pool with hundreds of other tourists and have a peice of Australia, NZ, USA, UK, Europe etc in the sun then go to Denerau. If you want to go to FIJI go to Koro Sun

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Pita B
Josaia R, General Manager at Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa, responded to this review, January 13, 2015
Happy New Year From the Koro Sun Resort Family.

Thank you for your review back in March 2012.

My name is Josaia Rayawa ("JR"). My wife, Margie and I are the new Co-General Managers at Koro Sun Resort & Rainforest Spa. We find this a great opportunity for us to introduce ourselves. Margie and I joined Koro Sun Resort in 2014.

We hope to be able to encourage you to come visit Koro Sun again. We are in the throes of including 8 new floating bures/villas on the lagoon, the first of its kind in Fiji.

Do let us know if you want us to keep you in the loop on the progress. My email is jr@korosunresort.com

Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2012

I have just returned from a 7-day stay at the Koro Sun Resort and I had to come and write a review to ensure anyone who might be considering a trip to Fiji, be sure to look at this Amazing resort. It was our 20-year anniversary and we wanted to something special and memorable. Tahiti & Fiji have always been my dream destinations and I wanted to be able to Paddleboard everyday while on vacation. When I started looking at packages, Fiji was the better option. When looking at the different Fijian hotels, I scratched any places with more than 35 rooms off the list and especially hotels reviewed as great resorts for children. We were going to get away from children and did not want a typical “chain” hotel experience. From the moment we arrived, the entire staff knew our names, handed us a much needed cold beverage and a much needed foot message. Our Bure was always clean and very comfortable with many little island touches. The gourmet food was so fresh and delicious. There were enough choices to satisfy anybodies pallet. In 7 days, we were never disappointed with any of our selections. My favorites were the spicy prawns & all the starter soups.
The two Activity Coordinators were the best!! Manu & Dobbs were so helpful and wonderful guides on all the activities we participated. I highly recommend the Spilt Rock snorkeling adventure, Pearl Farm, Forrest Walk, Bat Island Kayak trip and the Dolphin trip. I also appreciated the fact that many of activities were free and ones, which were extra, were reasonably priced. I cannot say enough about the entire staff at this resort and never before have I felt so welcome. I would also highly recommend getting any of the spa services offered. I did a “Banana Wrap” on my 2nd day and that was the most incredible message I have EVER experienced. Mela did such a fantastic job; I ended up getting another one the day before I left.
If you are looking for a romantic, laid back vacation away from the typical all inclusive resorts where you have to fight for a space at the pool, bar and all the food looks & tastes the same, the you need to visit Koro Sun. You will not be disappointed. We met some incredible couples and all of them agreed the resort & staff were the best. If you read some of the negative comments, just remember to do your homework. It was exactly as advertised and although the resort is set up to accommodate children/families; this is an intimate resort and is best for fun and low-key relaxation!!!

Room Tip: Spend the extra money and get an Ocean front Bure!! I wish we had spent the extra money to stay in...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Supgirlspike
Happy New Year From the Koro Sun Resort Family.

Thank you for your review back in March 2012.

gold coast australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2012

Have just returned back to the gold coast after staying 7 nights at the koro sun, i would never ever recommend this hotel to anyone i rate it very poor, regarding service number 1, i went with my family i feel it caters more for adults rather then children!!! activities are set out for adults at adult times including the meke/dance ceremony etc... i could go on and on regarding this pathetic hotelbut ill make it short and sweet! our 2nd last day we were left with no electricity, our last full day there before we returned to australia the following day we were left with no water to bath/shower etc with 2 kids this is a night mareespecially when they are experiencing the runs!!! the house keeping is very poor our last day it wasnt even done until i complained at 6pm at night this is not satisfactory especially staying in a 4 star resort paying $2400 AUD... The whole 78 days staying there the house keeping was never done to even satisfactory standards, tea and coffie was never refilled, some days they left 2 fresh towels, others 3 etc etc, there was 4 people in my bure!! 2 occassions we bought our own toilet paper and in the end tea!!! i would rate this place 1 star!!! never shall i return!!! One more added comment wher we were situated was near staff quaters which look very run down, they had 3 dogs roaming the grounds of koro sun i was scared to leave my children outside incase they attacked or carried any unknown germs, they were unfed and very dirty looking!!!

i went febuary 2012

Room Tip: Stay ealse where in savu savu
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
14 Thank Romana1978
navale0, Owner at Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa, responded to this review, March 1, 2012
We are very saddened to see such a poor review of our property, and do want to apologize that you feel your experience was unsatisfactory. Your distaste for our property gives an extremely unfavorable impression of what you experienced, making one question why you chose to stay in the resort for a full 7 days given this type of experience you believe you had.

We wish clarify a few points about this guests stay with us to best understand the claims made:

The client booked a room for two adults and their two children who were under the age of 3. Whilst there were no other children at the resort during their stay, they had a complimentary nanny provided to them each and every day at no additional charge. The children stayed for free with us, and also took part in the kids club all for the rate mentioned which is our family policy.

Room service was utilized many nights, or their children had an opportunity to dine at any time they requested during the day with a custom menu and variety of dining locations catering to families. Custom activities are offered to them each day which were declined, along with a full list of activities for adults as well. We offer a Kids club, play ground, educational programs, such as beach and marine exploration, kids pool with waterside facilities. These facilities and service of our AAA rated 4 star resort has allowed us to be recognized by the Sydney Morning Herald as a top family resort in Fiji.

The guests talked with our manager on a number of days, and had mentioned on each occassion they were enjoying their stay every day they were engaged with. The first time a complaint of any kind was brought to our attention, was when their water went out, and their room cleaning was not completed by the time they returned from their excursion. We regrettably made an error on our operations side, we accept responsibility for and offered a complimentary bottle of wine for the inconvenience on their final night with sincere appologies.

The references to tea and coffee being stocked along with toilet paper may have had to due with the fact that our management team saw additional people from the local area staying in their room each night. The resort only charged for two adults, and never made mention about the additional friends and family from the Savusavu area who came to join them and use the facilities as well as overnight.

In 13 years we've never had a single person refer to the service in the manner they have nor, have we ever been called a 1 star resort. We strive to do our best and provide value, a unique experience for the whole family and most importantly service that will leaving a lasting impression of the friendly faces of our staff.

We are sincerely sorry to see such a negative review, and for any regrettable experience you feel you had.

Young Family
Directors, Koro Sun Resort
Redondo Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2012

My wife and I travel on a VERY regular basis, and never (prior to today) write reviews on our travels (however, we review them consistently). After staying a week at the Koro Sun Resort in Savusavu, Fiji-we both felt the need to rave about this resort!!

The location is great, the rooms are well maintained, and every meal they served was amazing--so much in fact that the head chef "Joe" was willing to share his recipes with my wife. (Thanks Joe!)

The staff is second to none! As I said, we travel to 5 star resorts regularly and have NEVER been treated so well. EVERY (and i'm being serious here) staff member remembered both my wifes, and my name--and used them consistently throughout the week.

If you go, make sure to check out the traditionaly Fijian Lovu dinner show-- it was amazing to see so many locals with so much pride in their culture.

By the way--they did NOT request that we write a review-- but it was just too good not to!

Thanks again Eva, Arvin, Mili, Joe, Colin (divemaster), Oni, Nai, Va, Mela, and Solo

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank derek h
Happy New Year From the Koro Sun Resort Family.

Thank you for your review back in February 2012.

North Liberty, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2012

My wife and I have only raves to share. Koro Sun exceeded our highest expectations on all fronts. What first comes to mind is what others have noted. Having been home just a couple days, we both admit to missing the individual staff members. They are warm and genuine and a true pleasure to be around. How they all begin to call you by name from the minute you arrive is a mystery to us but so much appreciated.
It is also hard to believe that the Koro Sun chef and staff are able to provide three different gourmet meals each day that would be so satisfying to two people of such divergent tastes. Each meal is preceded with a three choice menu. There is always a choice that delghtfully ranges from vegan to carnivore. We never experienced anything below excellent.
While we were there during the "rainy season" and probably had more of our share of rainy days, they were all pleasurable and relaxing.
Lastly, having been to a spa or more over the years, we have noted that most have the sound of waterfalls playing in the background. Imagine being in the rain forest in the presence of a real live and gorgeous waterfall while receiving a truly skilled massage. Truth is, you can't imagine it. We heartily recommend you try it.
Bula Venaka good Koro Sun Friends.

Room Tip: We upgdraded to the Edgewater Villas and are pleased with our choice. Having your own private swimm...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Steve S
Thank you for the very kind words, the staff certainly appreciate hearing what an impact they have made on your stay with us. Vinaka!
San Diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2012

My wife and I and 34 divers stayed at the Koro Sun Resort and let me tell you the staff are the most friendliest people you will ever meet at any resort. Being such a large group I didn't think the resort could handle such a crowd but boy did they ever. This resort is not the fanciest in the Fijian Islands but it's not about that it's about the people. This resort is about the people and the culture, Jack the owner went out of his way to make sure we were having the time of our lives. Thank You Koro Sun for the lifelong experience you gave to us, we will never forget it.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank bernie s
Happy New Year From the Koro Sun Resort Family.

Thank you for your review back in January 2012.

Koro Sun Resort & Rainforest Spa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Savusavu
Namale the Fiji Islands Resort & Spa
The Remote Resort - Fiji Islands
Savusavu Hot Springs Hotel
Savusavu Hot Springs Hotel
#11 of 13 in Savusavu

Been to Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa? Share your experiences!