“Have Kids, Must go!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Savusavu
Brisbane, Australia
“Have Kids, Must go!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

Just arrived at the resort before Cylcone Evan came past, however within a day or two you would not have known, grounds staff had the place cleaned up in no time. If you have small children then this is the place to go, its the only resort were YOU get to have a holiday as well as the kids. I'm a big eater, but by the 3rd day I was skipping meals as I could just not eat anymore of the mouthwatering food on offer, the food is to die for. The staff will cater for your every need, as we missed some activities due to the cyclone, Mark, the resort manager, made sure we got to do everything we wanted, arranging private tours just for us. Its just great knowing that you can relax with peace of mind, as your kids are in the best of hands and having the time of thier lives. The nannies devote 100% "one on one" attention to the smaller kids (under 6) while the older kids will not want to know you as they buzz arround with their buddies. I Was a little disapointed that the staff failed to recognise my wife's B'day, I thought they may have supprised her with some music or a cake or something, but as I say, things were a bit out of sorts while we were there due to the cyclone - maybe they just forgot.
Yes its expensive, and if you just want white sandy beaches and an airconditioned room, perhaps just stay somewhere local, have take out each night and make sure someones watching the kids at all times. If you want a totally relaxing holiday without the kids in your ear every 5 mins, then take them to JMC - They will thank you for it! This place is paradise, if you only ever go once just do it - its worth it!

Room Tip: If going Nov-Feb stay in a Beach front Bure, you will need the sea breeze as the humidity can make i...
3 Thank jasonh794

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Polish first
Brisbane
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

We had booked Castaway Island in January 2012 for our holiday at Christmas Time. Unfortunately due to the cyclone our holiday was cancelled as the Island is now closed until I think April 2013 for repairs.

Asking our travel Agent MTA Travel (Jo) what our options were she asked us to have a look at Jean Michel Costeau. We booked within the next day leaving on December 28 2012 and staying until 7 January 2013.

Unfortunately due to the flights we had to spend a night each side of our Island experience at Denaru at the Hilton. Unfortunately you can't get around this.

Jean Michel Costeau is 1 hour plane flight on a 20 seater plane from Denaru. On arrival our tranfer from Jean Michel Costeau was waiting to pick us up. A delightful man and very helpful.

This resort is the most amazing resort. Unfortunately there is no aircondioning in the bures at this resort which I was sceptical about when going. We struggled at the humidity was just so hot and you constantly sweat. You have a shower and feel refreshed and then start to sweat again. It was really uncomfortable actually bloody hot even with the fans in the bures. If the bures were airconditoned it would have been better. We went 28 Dec 2012 - 7 Jan 2013 (so we have just come back). We are from Brisbane so its only 3.5 hours flight.

Our children at 4.5 and 5.5 and we were fortunate enough to secure a nanny for each child ..... yes you did read right. This is what the resort offers you from 0-5 years of age a nanny each.

The nannies are wonderful and a great asset for this resort. We had the most relaxing holiday I have ever had. The kids were always dying to get to the VIP of kids club called "The Bula Club". They most of the time had lunch their with the other kids and we had dinner with them. As the kids always finished first the nannies would take the kids for a movie until we finished our dinner. They were allocated to us for the 9 days we stayed from 8am to 8pm as we needed them. They also joined us for a village trip, a snorking trip. They are so very helpful and kind and the Fijians have such a gentle nature they are just beautiful people who love kids.

The bures are nice and are cleaned every day by the lovely Fijian ladies. There is a laundry service for a very minimal charge and they wash and also iron and bring them beach to your bure the next day. Amazing. The landscaping and the gardens are beautiful the maintenance men do a fantastic job at keeping them prestine. Sometimes you feel you are the only people at the resort it is just so quiet.

If you want to go into Savu Savu town its about 5 mins in and an $8.50 Fijian dollars cab fare which is nothing. Good shopping for clothes and the markets are a must to see. The river canoe we did was also amazing canoeing down the river with Tia you really felt like you were the only people on the river. The rainforrests all around are beautiful.

There is internet access which is best at the bar if you are lucky you can pick it up in your bure.

My kids also got their hair braided it looked fantastic (but bare in mind a full head takes hours to get out).

The food is awsome. Really healthy food and simply amazing. We were there for New Years and had a 5 course meal. Just melted in your mouth. The chefs really know their cooking here.

This resort needs no advertising simply word of mouth its so good. It was sad to leave.

Fores: The Nannies - simply amazing people. The food sensational.
Against: No airconditioning in the bures. If you need air don't go in peak heat.

Room Tip: dont travel in Summer if you need aircon to sleep its damn hot otherwise.
1 Thank TLB67
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

This place is absolutely the most beautiful place I have ever been. Stunning views of the ocean. The staff are WONDERFUL. The absolute nicest people on earth. Food was amazing, snorkeling activities fantastic as well. I did however loath sleeping with so many bugs, which really isn't a diss on the resort... that is just how it is in Fiji. Highly recommended!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Austin K
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

I usually don't spend time recommending places I have stayed (though I should, as I use them to make decisions). At the last minute my family decided on a Christmas away from the usual - we have a 5 year old and a 2 year old. Looking up "best family accommodation/holiday's" in Google we happened upon Jean Michel Cousteau resort (having just won Best Overseas Family resort - I can see why). This is an unassuming, so relaxed, amazingly run resort. We had a nanny for both our kids from 8.30am until 9pm (not that we used them this whole time but they were available) - with a dedicated kids club (bula club), and many other kids to have lunch and play with - they were really in heaven (and when our daughter ran to her nanny one morning we knew we were in the right place!). While it might seem a little more expensive than resorts in the main island it's really not when you take into account the cost of food, nannies for the whole time etc. The food was beautiful, coffee excellent as was the wine - NZ Sav - perfect. All of the staff were just so welcoming and would do anything to make sure you experienced the Fiji you want - snorkeling, kayaking, diving etc etc. Make sure you go there!!

Room Tip: I would recommend paying a little bit more to have an ocean view bure - we did and the breeze throug...
2 Thank Sam W
Kununurra, Western Australia, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

I recently had the pleasure to stay at this resort with my partner and my two year old daughter. I thought it was a bit pricey before I had arrived but believe me every penny is worth it!! The service is excellent! Everything about this resort is fantastic. The staff are incredibly friendly and go out of there way to make you feel at home. My daughter spent time in The Bula Club and loved it so much, she still misses her nanny Kessia. The food is incredible, I have never been fed so well. Kitty organised our wedding and everyone in the whole hotel worked to give us the most perfect beautiful wedding ever!!! I also had my birthday there and I got very spoilt with a big chocolate cake and every one singing a big happy birthday! The snorkeling here is phenomenal and I reccomend the private Island picnic, was one of the highlights of my trip! will definitely come back to this place and get my diving ticket first!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Hinerangi H
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

I can't explain enough how great this holiday was.
Food-Fantastic!!
Cocktails-Yum!!
Pools-Brilliant!!
Nanny-Woohooo!!
Waterslide-Awesome!!
Activities-too many & not enough time!!
Bed-Super comfy!!!
Staff-all I can say is THANKYOU!!!!

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank allmye
Warragul, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

We went with a group of girls and we had so much fun. The staff are so kind and helpful, will do anything for you. We even had a couple of games of basketball with them. They are so great with the kids as well. Loved this place and would recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mitchky
Also consider these accommodations in or near Savusavu
Namale the Fiji Islands Resort & Spa
Korovesi Sunshine Villas
Korovesi Sunshine Villas
#9 of 13 in Savusavu
The Remote Resort - Fiji Islands

Been to Jean-Michel Cousteau Resort? Share your experiences!