“Heaven” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Labasa
sydney
“Heaven”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2008

Nukubati was absolute heaven. The staff make the trip, their smiles waking you to every new day.

One of the many highlights is the food. Pure decadence from the start. Nukubati is a place where you feel welcome everywhere you go. The activity staff are knowledgable and professional in every sense of the word. They are eager to share their reefs and waters with every guest who comes. Truly a place for any fishing, scuba, snorkelling and relaxing enthusiast.

I cant wait to get back there.

• Liked — Walking out my door onto the beach
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Fallbrook, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2008

From the spectacular sunset that first day to our last sunrise as we prepared to leave, our 10 days were filled with swimming, snorkeling, kayakaing, hiking, spectacular meals & drinks and total relaxation in between. There have been so many wonderful things written about this little resort that makes you wonder, can they all be true? My wife and I can only say "YES" they can. To Lynne our most gracious host and to "All" the staff which took care of our every need, we would like to say, "Vinaka vaca levu".

As we came down that last stretch of road to our first view of the island (after approx. 22 hrs getting there) the tension melted away and you realize paradise is 5 minutes away. From that moment on we became part of the Nukubati family. A few of the other highlights for us were snorkeling out on the Great Sea Reef, spear fishing with the staff and our visit with two other couples to Sera's village (a truly incredible honor). Our nights after Canape's & Champagne at sunset were filled visiting with Lynne and the other guests discussing the days activities or whatever came up. We had a romantic candlelight dinner on the beach the last night.

If your looking for romance, relaxation or just possibly to unwind, Nukubati can and will fulfill every need you might have. To Lynne and all our friends I can honestly say "Au nuitaka meda sota tale", (I would love to come back).

• Liked — Absolutely everything.
  • Disliked — nothing.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2008

This was our first trip to Fiji and I spent over 2 years planning what I hoped would be a secluded romantic vacation for my wife and I away from our 4 small children.

We sought off-the-beaten-path luxury where we could be pampered and unwind from the daily routines of western life. We dreamed of a resort with comfortable beach front accommodations, excellent food, and options to dive, snorkel, swim, or just enjoy a relaxing afternoon reading a good book on a nice white sand beach. We wanted a place without crowds, glitz, pretension and schedules. We desired romance, seclusion, adventure, and most of all, a unique vacation to celebrate our 20th anniversary.

Planning the trip was an obsession. My wife would just roll her eyes as I put yet another DVD, or brochure, or web page in front of her to look at. After narrowing it down, there were still several resorts that appealed to us and looked as though they would offer most of what we were seeking. But there was only one resort that called to us. I can’t explain why.

We followed my instinct, booked our 10-night vacation at Nukubati Island and then spent the next 6 months dreaming about our vacation-to-be so much that I feared that nothing could ever live up to our expectations. And after all that planning and dreaming there was just no way that anyone or anywhere could have met the expectations that we had built up. It couldn't be possible. But it was. Nukubati exceeded every one of our expectations! By far. We absolutely loved our experience there. Jenny and the staff and the island are absolutely magical. Everything was just perfect - the accommodations, the sunsets, the food, and mostly the people.

Every single one of our exaggerated expectations was met and exceeded at Nukubati. All of the staff knew our names from the moment we arrived. Jenny, the owner, was exceptional in every way – from ensuring that our every wish was met and satisfied, to the friendly and lively conversations late into the night. The accommodations (we stayed in a Honeymoon Bure) were simply decorated, fan cooled (no A/C, but during the time we stayed the fans and ocean breezes were more than adequate), and large. We loved the very large verandah and outdoor living room bure. Daily housekeeping was coordinated perfectly during the times that we were enjoying a meal or activity (and the daily laundry service was great).

Meals were excellent and equal to those served in a 5-star restaurant. And the staff ensures that you are not left hungry or wanting. Drinks flow plentifully and easily. Cocktails or champagne or wine and canapés were delivered to our verandah every evening at sunset. It’s a great tradition that we looked forward to every day. After sunset we enjoyed making our way to the central Pavilion for cocktails, either alone, or with Jenny, and/or the other guests. Meal choices always included an appetizer, 2 choices for the entrée, and a dessert, and the chef was always willing to accommodate any special requests - anything from no onions, to substitutions in a dish, to completely ordering off the menu. I mentioned to Jenny at some point that I had read about Kokoda, a Fijian dish of marinated fish in coconut milk, and sure enough, it appeared on the menu. Meals can truly be taken at any time and wherever you wish. We took to enjoying our breakfast of coffee, fresh tropical fruit (LOVED the custard apples), fresh breads and muffins, and herb and cheese omelet on our verandah. We enjoyed both romantic meals alone, and as a group – entirely our choice. Since we were there seeking solitude and romance, we were very surprised at the number of meals we elected to eat with either other guests or with Jenny or both. The staff accommodates whatever needs or desires you may have. Whether it be a last minute decision to enjoy a meal on the beach, on your verandah, or just spread out among the comfortable cocktail tables in the Pavilion. We even changed locations mid-meal on a whim without any hesitation on the part of the staff.

There are no planned daily activities. We loved the flexibility of the resort that allowed us to satisfy our desires at any given time and with no to little prior notice. The staff will inquire every night after dinner what you wish to do the next day and will offer some options. There’s plenty to do – snorkeling or diving the reef, fishing, swimming, or something more low key – collecting shells, reading a book on the beach, massages on your verandah. It’s entirely up to you and nothing is subject to a reservation. One afternoon we decided (during our lunch) that we wanted to enjoy sunset with wine and cheese at one of the sand banks that they boat you out to. Not a problem. And oh, so romantic – the sand bank picnics are one of my favorite memories of our stay (we went twice – for lunch and sunset) and are definitely not to be missed.

I could go on and on. But let me close this review by saying this resort is not for everyone. There is no pool. The beach is tidal. And the resort is very, very remote. There is no flash or pretense here. But there is genuine service, laid back luxury, and the flexibility to satisfy your every desire. It’s up to you to soak up the magic this place has to offer. We can’t wait to go back.

Date of Stay: 4/5-4/15/08.

• Liked — Jenny and the staff ensure that your every desire is satisfied.
  • Disliked — There was absolutely nothing negative that I could say about this resort.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2008

My family just returned from Nukubati Paradise! This was our second visit since we had been there for Christmas 2006. We had contemplated on going to another tropical place for our holidays this time but after looking into many different resorts we kept going back to our last visit to Nukubati. There were no other places that had everything that we had experienced with Nukubati! First of all there are very few places that you can go where you truly feel as though you are the only people on earth. Being on the island of Nukubati is true serenity and a place to completely reenergize from the busy lifestyles we all live. There are many things you can do if you want to or just spend the day doing nothing but lazing on the beach. We loved the snorkeling, fishing and kayaking on the glass bottom boats! The food was also amazing!! We highly recommend the nukubati pie for desert!
Jenny (the owner) and the staff are all wonderful and make you feel as though you are family. We were all sad to leave and as soon as they started to sing it brought tears to our eyes. We do plan on going back again since now we truly feel like they are family!

• Liked — beach front bures!
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
Austin, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2008

My family just returned from the most perfect Spring Break ever. Nukubati is well worth the journey from the US, and its isolation is what makes it so special.

The island is completely unspoiled, and the few bures and buildings are so subtly built that you barely see them from the air on the stunning approach by sea plane (the best way to arrive).

The genuine smiles and melodious voices of the residents and staff at Nukubati brought tears to my eyes on both arrival and departure.

There is little to do in the way of organized activities and yet we filled every day with snorkeling, sailing, fishing, beach combing, hiking, tennis, and many games of cards and dominos. My children, 12 and 14, never complained of being bored and did not seem to notice the absence of all media and electronics. Blissfully, cell phones and blackberries are useless here.

What makes Nukubati perfect is the staff. They are well-trained and professional, yet share their personality, family stories and much laughter. I've never met happier people and their smiles are infectious. There is nothing touristy about Nukubati, you feel like you've entered someone's home as a pampered guest.

The food is fresh, healthy and superb. Most of it is grown on the island and caught hours before you eat it. The property is eco-friendly in that the majority of the water used is collected rain-water, and power is solar generated.

Nukubati is the perfect destination if you are looking for a cultural experience where you can get to know the local people, enjoy their food and traditions and have a relaxing adventure in paradise.

• Liked — The people
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank SmallWorld_Austin_TX
British Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2008

Nukubati Island Resort cannot be summarized into a descriptive paragraph, nor explained through extraordinary pictures. After experiencing Nukubati, there becomes a certain feeling that seems impossible to forget, and put into words. If you can, imagine a small, natural island, free of a pretentious sign looming over its gorgeous beach entrance. Picture a group of beaming Fijians strumming their guitars and singing in melodious voices, welcoming you with open arms to their tropical oasis. Envision a beautiful beach whose largest population is crabs, not deck chairs and people. In your mind, paint a portrait of utterly gorgeous palm trees framing exquisite bures along flowered pathways. Nukubati Island Resort is so much more than just your average tropical holiday. As a high school student, I could not have asked for a better experience in my graduating year. Nukubati enraptures memories, which I will carry with me for many years to come. There are memories, which will make me smile, and inspire me through the challenges of life. I am an active 18 year old, with an extremely energetic younger brother, and I can honestly say there was never a dull moment for us at Nukubati. From incredible snorkeling, swimming, fishing, kayaking, hiking and tennis, to daily volleyball games every afternoon (the rainy and muddy games were my favorite), my family and I were always entertained. Our friends at Nukubati openly shared their beautiful home with us, and even shared their private stories with us, making Nukubati less of a resort, and more of an actual home away from home. Do not confuse this with the idea that Nukubati is not a prestigious resort, as there are incredible personal touches to the most simple of activities, which pamper and relax you until it seems life could not be better! What makes Nukubati different from the rest of Fiji is its staff, and the incredible environment created by their joyful smiles. As this was my third trip to Fiji, I did not expect what I was able to experience and I was bewildered with the degree of friendships that I created with the staff. Their vivacious hearts, and endearing laughs were contagious, and as a result, have become impossible to forget. The friendships that I have formed at Nukubati will always be remembered, and I hope that if other families have the chance to visit Fiji, they would choose Nukubati. It has changed my outlook on life, and as a student with the world at my fingertips; there is no greater gift I could ask for. I always experience this tingle through my entire body when I think about my two-week holiday to Nukubati, which I expected to be unbelievable, but found it to be so much more. It is the perfect resort for families, students, couples, or groups of any size, which understand the value of kind hearts, nature, and simplified life.

• Liked — the resorts laid back comfort and friendly staff
  • Disliked — cannot find any fault
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank graciemal
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2007

My wife and I just returned from Fiji (our honeymoon), where we stayed in multiple locations - last at Nukubati. We absolutely loved it. Jenny, the owner, has created a very relaxed, relatively small scale luxury resort on an island just North (5 min by boat) of Vanua Levu (Fiji's second largest island). The location is quite remote (no cell phones....!), with no other resorts in the immediate surroundings, which adds to the attraction. The things we loved about the resort are the hospitality of Jenny and the staff, the great atmosphere of the resort, the quality of the bure, the activities and the quality of the food.

We stayed for 4 nights in a Honeymoon Bure, which is slightly larger than the bungalow suites, but similar in location (all are right on the beach). It is a charming, characteristic and well maintained room with all amenities required (but no airconditioning - which is not really needed anyway). The island itself is close to being self sufficient in its energy and water needs (additional solar panels are being installed).

The staff is one of the main attractions of Nukubati. Their are very friendly, take the effort to remember your name (all 30-40 of them...!) and are always up for a chat. We felt genuinly loved and cared for all the time. A small detail: we noticed they had raised our national flag in our honor!

Nukubati offers a wide range of activities. We loved the lunch at a local sandbank (and got picked up just before it disappeared due to high tide). We enjoyed a fishing trip. I liked sailing in the catamaran, we enjoyed the kayaking and snorkelling. We heard from other guests that the diving was very good with lots of soft corals. Nukubati is the only place that offers diving in the North of Vanua Levu. There is also a lit tennis court and volleyball net.

The food was the best that we ate it Fiji. It is based on local ingredients (quite often the guests' catch of the day), but catered to western tastes. We felt that the quality of the ingredients and the preparation was much better than other places we have been to in Fiji, including an upmarket restaurant in Nadi.

I can advise anyone who wants to relax in a great tropical surrounding to go to Nukubati.

We deinitely will do so if we have the opportunity!

• Liked — Great atmosphere and friendly staff
  • Disliked — 30 hours from London...
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Brinkie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Labasa
The Remote Resort - Fiji Islands
#8 of 13 in Savusavu
Grand Eastern Hotel
Grand Eastern Hotel
#3 of 3 in Labasa

Been to Nukubati Private Island? Share your experiences!