“Nukubati - Welcome to Paradise”

Nukubati Private Island
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Labasa
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Nukubati - Welcome to Paradise”
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Hi My name is Henry. I am 22 years old from Melbourne and first come on trip advisor to see peoples comments about this island while I was deciding to come, all the positive reviews I had seen made me feel abridged to write my own and share my experience. I just arrived back from my journey to Nukubati with my girlfriend Fleur, It was not our honeymoon nor anniversary or really any other special occasion for that matter, but the journey created from this beautiful experience was an occasion for us to never forget. The food was absolutely exceptional, I enjoy healthy living at home and eat all organic so it was all perfect for myself and partner. Every meal was 10/10 and left us excited to eat our next! On arrival we felt a little daunted by our age and without an occasion but within seconds of meeting the beautiful community of people we grew so close to in the end we felt right at home, I think we spent most our time laughing with the staff and other couples who we felt we grew so close to straight away. One of the biggest things I took away from going to nukubati was the kind of family atmosphere the place had and how much it reminded me of my own. it made me realise home is where the heart is, I could not wait to get back and and share my experiences with my own family, the people are so happy and the only problems they have within their lives are if the tide is too high or there is too much wind or if its too cold (which was a warm 22 degrees for us ha!). Most of us live in a world with so many materialistic worries and problems, but really if you break life down you will see why the people at nukubati live so happily and carefree. Taking this jourmey back home made me so thankful and blessed to have experienced this at such a young age. I was astonished the legacy Jenny had built over the last 20 years on this island still had a grounded essence about it, she welcomed the couples and staff with open arms and aside from all the fun and appreciation of the water sports, great food, Romantic sunset champagnes, snorkelling, Fiji BBQ, fresh coconuts, massages, beautiful weather, Sandbank picnics, afternoon cocktails, Singing and dancing, reading, sleeping on the hammocks, no T.V, fishing and laughing. This journey takes you beyond all the fun in the world, you leave with a sense of awe and appreciation for the world around you. This is a genuine place I don't think we would ever return to, we decided it was too perfect for a return, but would hope spreading the word to all our family and friends would offer them an experience of a lifetime too.

5 Thank Henry T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Reviewed September 12, 2012

We recently, in August 2012 had a fabulous holiday on Nukubati Island.
We enjoyed absolutely everything. It was peaceful and quiet, a paradise with gorgeous weather, sunsets and champagne, great food and lovely staff - smiling faces and not forgetting the fabulous Fijian “jolly belly laughs”.
No kids or TV - It's all about relaxing - no rushing - "Fiji Time" they call it.
We have very fond memories and hope to get a group together and go back again to share the experience.
Our stay was comfortable and pleasurable …all my partner says is that he wants to go back to Nukubati island………….!
Take a book and a boyfriend and enjoy !!
Jenni
(Melbourne Australia)

1 Thank Jenni T
Reviewed September 11, 2012

We recently spent a week on Nukubati Island Fiji, and for us the island and its staff met and even surpassed our expectations. If your ‘must haves’ are swimming pools, television, mobile reception and air conditioning, you should read no further as the island has none of these. What it does guarantee is a strict limit on guest numbers (no more than 7 couples), spacious and comfortable accommodation, fresh food grown on the island and seafood caught locally, and house and recreational staff who make the whole experience very special. Nukubati is also about half an hour by boat from the third largest barrier reef in the world. We have snorkelled a lot of Australia’s Great Barrier Reef and Fiji reef diving is a similarly spectacular experience. Other highlights were a very authentic Fijian rock barbeque and our full body massages. The locals sang goodbye to us from their beach and our tears were genuine.

3 Thank PeterDowling
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We have just arrived home after spent 7 nights at Nukubati where we had the most relaxing & wonderful holiday ever, so much so that it felt like we had had a month's holiday! From the moment we arrived and were greeted by Jenny and her fabulous staff it felt like time stood still and all we had to do was soak up our beautiful surroundings, wonderful company, enjoy fantastic food and great cocktails. We were made to feel like Nukubati was our home too.
Every morning we were greeted by warm friendly staff, who took such wonderful care of us. We were treated to many great adventures - snorkelling on the Great Sea Reef and off the beach and sandbar; picnicking on the sandbar, like we were the only people in the world; octopus hunting; feasting at the Fijian BBQ, singing/dancing and learning about life in Fiji. There was also plenty of sleeping, reading and lady lounging under the beach umbrella!
Thank-you to everyone at Nukubati for a very magical experience - we hope to be back one day soon!!

Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed September 9, 2012

We went to Nukubati about 5 years ago for our honeymoon, and I can remember it like it was yesterday.

I was looking for the 'perfect' honeymoon location, and the only place I could see on Tripadvisor with 5 stars was Nukubati.

So I enquired, and Jenny - the owner called me up and to make sure I would like it. Actually she tried to unsell it to me. You see, Nukubati isn't for everyone. It's luxurious, but not in the bottles-of-imported-french-sparking-water kind of way. It's an island in the middle of nowhere, and most things get sourced locally. You either like that, or you don't

Jenny was 100% upfront about what the island was about, and wanted to make sure we wouldn't be disappointed. That's when I knew it was going to be good.

Memories:

Full access to a fully kitted out fishing boat - included in the price! (Check game fishing prices at any other resort.) I went out every morning and afternoon, with an amazing local crew. We caught tons of fish including GT's.

Eating fresh sushi. And when I say fresh, I mean the fish we caught in the morning.

Sitting on the patio in the morning, discussing with the cook what we;'d like to eat for lunch and dinner. (There's no menus on Nukubati)

Having the entire island to ourselves.

Afternoon naps with the sound of tropical rain falling on the roof.

The one day i asked Jenny what a lovo was like ( underground bbq). Nek minute Jenny had organised a wild pig from a local village along with fresh fish and vegetables for an unforgattable bbq.

Being called 'Mitcheli' and being treated like royalty by the staff.

Drinking literally 1 million mojitos.

Sharing cava with the locals.

Basically feeling like Ernest Hemingway.

Jenny - thanks for the memories.

Regards

Mitch

(ps: I had to lie about the date I travelled. Tripadvisor doesn't count memories yet)

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed September 7, 2012

We just returned last night from spending 7 nights at Nukubati for our honeymoon. It is difficult to begin to describe how wonderful this past week has been. My husband and I have traveled to many amazing places and stayed at some fantastic resorts, but Nukubati Resort is in a league of its own. The time literally stopped from the moment we got there. We were able to truly slow down and enjoy our time. We absolutely loved being able to get to know the staff members and Jenny. We made sure to take advantage of all of the different activities that were available including snorkeling on the Great Sea Reef, sailing, paddling around the entire island, picnic lunch on the sandbar and the Fijian BBQ in the mangroves. We honestly couldn't imagine a better honeymoon location and hope to be back very soon!!!

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 1, 2012

It is hard to write anything more than has already been said but I just thought I had to write something given the wonderful experience we were privileged to be part of for a short time on Nukubati. I have been to Fiji before but it was nothing like this; Nukubati is a very special place. It is like you have been invited to stay with a family; the atmosphere is wonderful, you are made to feel very welcome and the people are just so warm and generous, nothing is too much trouble. The accommodation, food, service and facilities are great. The snorkelling is fantastic. The sandbank picnic is a unique experience. The Fijian picnic was a great day; the octopus hunt will stay with me forever (Salote you are my hero). We were there for 10 days and it went so quickly; I was very upset to leave. A huge thank you to all the staff; you made it a great experience – so many treasured memories. I couldn’t recommend Nukubati highly enough.

1 Thank Paula L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Labasa
Namale Resort & Spa
#2 of 12 in Savusavu
Grand Eastern Hotel
Grand Eastern Hotel
#3 of 3 in Labasa

Been to Nukubati Private Island? Share your experiences!