I have been marinating on writing this review since we returned home from Turtle Island. I decided to wait until my feelings had calmed, else this would have been a scathing review and all of the good things about the island would have gone unmentioned.
My husband and I stayed on Turtle for the first 5 nights of our honeymoon. We spent 4 additional nights at Likuliku Lagoon after leaving Turtle (SO much better.)
Upon arrival I think we were on cloud 9 from just being married, flying business class and drinking oodles of champagne before getting to the island.
This review could go on forever; instead I will bullet the things that stand out in our memory.
• Our first bure the AC did not work, nor did our 1990s hot tub, moved room the second day
• All bathrooms in the entire resort need to be redone. Toilets, showers, sinks in our bathroom look like they have not been touched since 1990. We laughed at and then enjoyed the hot tub after tons of bubbly….but it is way out dated and should not be termed a “perk” in your room. Ours in our backyard is ten times nicer.
• Our bure mama was awful. She was lazy, did an awful job cleaning and we had MASSIVE communication problems. Other couples enjoyed theirs; we must have been unlucky on that aspect.
• The food is terrible. I repeat. Terrible. While we did have a few good meals, the majority were not even edible. We learned to only order what the chef was making that day, any variation and you were in trouble. I ate a ton of brie and crackers that we specially ordered so as not to starve. Not what you imagine honeymoon meals like at all
• The planned group dinners/ activities are all very “cruise ship.” While we were blessed to meet an amazing couple from N. Zealand that we befriended, most of the time my new hubby and I wanted to be alone. We tried, but felt awkward and guilty for requesting it. They want you to stand and talk and tell stories. No thank you. I am there to spend time on my honeymoon. Not to go to summer camp.
• Lastly. On our last day we packed the bottle of champagne they had left us in our room upon arrival (said congrats Mr and Mrs…..on it). It is our tradition to bring special wine and or champagne back from our travels all over the world. When arriving at the next resort we found out they had GONE THROUGH our bags and removed it. With no comment or asking permission…..just came to take our bags to the sea-plane and proceeded to go through them. Just what you expect from a 2,000 a night resort right??? NO. It was embarrassing to know as we were leaving and getting our good byes they were all looking at us knowing every inch of our bags. I cried for a day over that. They should have just informed us we could not bring the gift with us and we would have left it or consumed it. No big deal.
When talking with other couples while there these feelings were very mutual: too expensive, bad food, dirty rooms, nasty bathrooms. Of course the bure mama and bag digging were solo to our trip I believe, but it was pretty universally felt that the island is a huge scam in the world of “luxury” travel.
All in all. We had some amazing memories. The private beaches are a perk you can not get many places. We were lucky and there were only 4 other couples there so we could pick and chose them each day. Also, we did drink our share of champagne and wine…they were never lax on supplying the alcohol.
Would we ever go back? Not in a million years unless they totally scratched it and re-built something on this beautiful island. And it is that. A beautiful island with amazing beaches.
It is terrible waste of money and if I can save one honeymoon couple the trip…I have made myself feel better. Bula! Oh, and Likuliku Lagoon is fantastic….get bure #2!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Turtle Island - located in the Yasawa islands. You have found one of the most unique all-inclusive private islands in all the world. Be one of only 14 couples sharing the most beautiful and lush 500 acre private island resort… where each couple can have their own private beach and is assigned a dedicated personal concierge, your bure mama. We provide our guests one of the most intimate, private and romantic experiences. Your private island includes private beach picnics, romantic private dine outs, spa treatments, horseback riding through the winding island trails or on your own private beach, scuba diving, champagne sunrise breakfasts, an amazing and friendly Fijian staff is ready to make all of your dreams come true. This exclusive private island paradise awaits you and your partner for a romantic week to remember. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity and Orbitz so you can book your Turtle Island reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Turtle Island Hotel Turtle Island