“What a treat”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Turtle Island
Riverside, California
“What a treat”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

W'ell I don't know if the've ever had a group party celebrating a 50th birthday but, they got one. We had four Bur's (Villas) and we had the time of lives and I think we'll be back...if the'll take us ..LOL. The beaches amazing, the service off the charts (with your own Bur momma who is our equivalent of a butler with kindness and always a smile. The was nothing we ever asked for that did'nt appear and have a special fijian touch to it. From my Rum Punch's at the beach, to our private birthday lunch on Long's beach fully decorated and catered to perfection, to all of our private beach dinners each one decorated differently and out of this world. You'll fall in love with all of the fijian staff and especially your bur Momma's. You'll be say Bula and hugging and kissing them all everyday in no time....(That's how they live there lives, with smiles and kindness).

Room Tip: There all great, If you want seclusion they get the best room on the point. Of course you'll p...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank James A

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Napa, California
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Bula! What a great time we had. All eight of us. Arthur, Alex with the staff make sure nothing is missed. Its like they can read your minds, with private lunches and dinners ( if you like ). Every meal was better than the last. They truly make your dreams come true. Kip Smiling.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank 456April456
Reviewed May 9, 2013

We visited Turtle Island as it was on our bucket list and could not have been happier ... Apart from the wonderful private beaches that your delectable lunch was delivered too accompanied by a wonderful selection of wines at your requested times, the new spa with the unique four hands massage plus much more, the delightful vegetation and picture perfect tropical outlook and the ever constant commitment from all staff to enjoy yourself and smile ... Our mama (private butler) Taru just added a special warmth and feeling of home to our holiday, she provided many special touches and predicted with precision our needs and wants ... We will return and remember rule one is smile and if in doubt rule two is always to revert back to rule one

Room Tip: Most rooms are great ... They are upgrading some now
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cliff G
Kansas City, Kansas
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Beautiful, relaxing, casual elegance at it best. No worries , no cares and incredible staff and guest. We felt at home from the moment we stepped off the seaplane on to the beach. It is not just a vacation but a experience!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank shaleen g
Saratoga, California
Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

Imagine a 21st century version of Robinson Crusoe, culturally-and Eco-aware, who stays forever on his island, and this is the shape his dream could have taken. With resorts of extraordinary luxury becoming more and more frequent in places previously out of reach, Turtle Island maintains its differentiation by making you part of its family. Solar-powered and driven by its local communities, the resort casts its spell quickly on even cynical guests.

Rates are understandably steep, and it is wise to focus on the ethos of this remarkable creation rather than to expect the flawless product and service of an Amanresort - the wine list is not what it was 10 years ago, for example, and much depends on the dedication of your 'Bure Mama'. But the friendliness and bonding that occurs with your Turtle Island 'family' is remarkable and perhaps unique.

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank QuentinHeim
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 6, 2013

My wife and I just returned from Turtle Island from March 2013 on a 2 weeks stay. I had read most of the reviews and could not imagine this establishment could be "that good". I personally had not had a real vacation in over 2 years and I had been trying to complete 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea for over 6 months with no end in sight. The challenge of "getting away" had alluded myself for quite some time so the challenge was immense.

The 10 hour flight from LAX went off without a hitch and I actually slept on moving vehicle for the 1st time (at least 6 hours), so this was a great start. Upon arriving on Nandi, we were met at the Turtle Island office with a great staff member who took care of all our needs for the 3 hours wait for the boat plane. We had a day room reserved and was taken there from the most gracious driver named Peter.

The 3 hours went quick and we took off in the rain from Nandi on the short 1/2 hour flight that actually took 45 min as Olie the pilot was dodging a few T-storms. My kind of flying!

When we set down on the sea at Turtle to a light drizzle, the beauty of this place could not be hidden even from the rain showers. As the door opened, I actually heard music and people singing! My wife was first to step onto the arms of two Fijian men who brought her to shore in knee deep water! Yours truly stepped into bath water, began to walk and looking ahead to an ensemble of 8-10 staff members awaiting to great us on the beach! I knew at this time, I might have stepped into a time warp of a place that cannot exist in today's exuberant topsy turvy times.

We first met the General Manager Alex, assistant Arthur along with our Bure Mamma Nani who greeted us with great enthusiasm. Looking around, I was still numbed with what I was seeing and relaxation on all these folks faces. Could I get there?

In short, the answer to my question was answered well within the first day. It was true paradise like I've never seen, heard or experienced before. The entire staff, was at our service and my wife and I had begin to grow a special bound with the culture of these amazing people. This aspect of the trip, spending each and every night with them before bed time drinking Kava was special learning about their lives and their home villages.

Also during the 2 weeks, we bounded with an amazing group of guest from all walks of life. Having dinner with them, was like having dinner with family each and every night. Speaking of food, yes it's true with what you have read before but better....Case in point, I'm in my day bed one early afternoon with a cigar and my long never ending book getting good now, and my wife and I decide lunch will be served at our very spot. A quick blurb to our Bure mamma sets the plans in motion and 10 minutes later fresh whole lobsters, and crab salad is severed on our day beds! Fresh local lobster, crab salad, all without moving a muscle except for turning a page in my book while I ate. Adding to the freshness of the fish, how about deep sea fishing and catching 4-5 Yellow fin tuna's and then having them for lunch as tuna fillet steaks 2 hours later. The most work I did in that 2 weeks was reeling in these fish with Alex! hehehe

The other activities the island offered from private beaches, and the amazing daily snorkeling with Mikea (my special Brother) allowed my dream to continue daily.

You can see, this is a very special place with special people who genuinely care about you as a person and see to it you get what you need to remove oneself from that topsy turvy of reality of the daily grind.

Alex, Nani, Arthur (and you lovely family), Mikea my Brother along with the entire staff, you did something like no others have allowed me to do. My wife and escaped from life and lived it in your world. My question was indeed answered, and I finished that 529 page Verne novel, and how ironic one of Captain Nemo's travels was near this place.

Vinaka Vaca Lavu, see you all in July!

Vic and Paula

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Vic478
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 12, 2013

My wife and I stayed on Turtle Island in Feb/Mar during one of the wettest rainy seasons in recent years and in the aftermath of a destructive cyclone. However, as you read this, all the repairs to the jetty, mountain-top dining area and pontoon should be complete.

A hiccup on arrival at Nadi Airport was easily resolved, and subsequently generously compensated for, because I had a note of the emergency phone number for the resort. Beware that the photo taken of you on arrival is the one used throughout the resort for the “who is who” board and your personal photo album so when you have been travelling for 27 hours, like us, you may not look your best. That said, hopefully you will not care because the instant you step from the seaplane you are in another relaxed and stress free world.

It’s been said before, I said it when leaving and will say it again; you may think you know what to expect having read the brochure and reviews before you arrive but the Turtle Is experience is way beyond those expectations but difficult to describe.

Most of the recent reviews hit the nail on the head regarding the Fijian Family, the activities, the facilities and the dining although I thought the food, albeit fresh, was very good rather than gourmet, always beautifully presented with lunch being our favorite meal. The picnic lunches were also very good, being delivered and set out by your bure mama, although the seafood did tend to attract unwanted flying “guests”. Some of the beaches were a little rocky at low tide but Honeymoon Beach and Devil’s Beach were the favorites.

Be prepared to sing and dance at breakfast and dinner, not wear shoes for a week (unless you hike, bike or horse ride) as well as introduce yourself to the Fijian staff and fellow guests on day one and say thank you on your final day without shedding a tear (almost impossible).

All the bures are expansive and as described in the brochure. They also contain 2 sets of snorkeling gear, beach shoes, a safe, robes, umbrellas and rain jackets. The excessive rain brought an influx of mosquitoes during our stay but each bure is supplied with ample repellant if required.
Bure 8 (pictured on page 2 of the turtle Is brochure) is slightly smaller than the others with no jacuzzi and was undergoing some renovation. Bures 9 to 15 have slightly more privacy as several palms were felled in front of bures 2 to 5 during the cyclone. However, the pleasant walk from bure 15 to the main area for eating, the spa and the shop is 300 metres. Bure 7 remains the only one with both outside and inside showers.

The half hour complimentary massage was fantastic, encouraging you to sign up for the 4 hands massage. If you then experience this and think you have had better elsewhere, please contact me and tell me where, it was out of this world.

I have tried to highlight things not generally mentioned in recent reviews but fully endorse most of what has been written, especially about all the staff. Not mentioned is one topic that slightly irritated some of our fellow guests and that was the suggested gratuity you leave.

My wife and I never return to the same place twice, irrespective of how good, in case of disappointment but although I did not immediately sign up for a return package, I suspect a return is likely.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Nanuya
Yasawa Island Resort and Spa
Yasawa Island Resort and Spa
#1 of 1 in Yasawa Island

Been to Turtle Island Resort? Share your experiences!