“Home on Turtle Island”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Turtle Island
Dothan, Alabama
“Home on Turtle Island”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Just returned from our second visit to Turtle Island.. We didn't think it possible but the second time was even more enjoyable then the first!! This is truly a place that is an experience not just a vacation. You are made to feel at "home" on the island by the staff as well as the other guests. The interactions of the staff and guests complete a feeling of family and friends are made that can last long after leaving this pacific paradise.

The general manager Alex has done an outstanding job empowering the staff to guide the guests through their journey into the culture and simplicity of the Fijian lifestyle. The environment created by Richard Evanson is truly unique in the world.

The first time my wife and I went to Turtle was for our honeymoon 3 years ago. We were a little hesitant about the family style dining and the other guest interactions because we thought we would need more private time. We couldn't have been more pleasantly surprised at how much we loved every aspect of the trip and had all the private time we wanted including dining on private beaches and breakfast in bed!!

I could go on for pages but it wouldn't change the fact that Turtle Island is a place to be experienced not just visited. No matter who you are or what you do in the real world you will lose yourself in this place. If you want to be spritzed with water and be "sir'd and mam'd" to death then this may not be the place for you. If; however, you love to be in touch with the culture of the people who are native to the places you go and you enjoy being greeted by literally every staff member by your first name all of whom have a sincere concern for how you are...well then my friend...Turtle Island will be your new HOME!!

Happy Travels!
Skip and Tammy Chitwood
skipcmd@gmail.com

2 Thank Skip C

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Warwickshire UK
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Celebrating Fiji Day with the staff on Turtle Island was clearly the highlight of the many previous stays I have had on Turtle Island. The staff, like bees, work together to create an amazing time for the guests on the island. Nothing is too much trouble and, if they cannot give you what you want they will always try alternative ways of doing so.

Being part of the Turtle family is an honour that I will always cherish. It is certainly not, by far, the best maintained or managed resort in the world – but the fact that the staff will go to the end of the earth to make you feel part of their family means a tremendous amount.

Although, unlike every other occasion when I have been on the island, there were no senior staff or management present for the departure or did they find the time during the day to say goodbye, the fact that the construction team renovating Bure 7 lined up outside to wave us off more than made up for it. Naturally the Bure Mama’s and other staff members took the time and effort to send us off in the accustomed style.

There are many other islands, not only in Fiji, that have popped up in the last ten years since I first visited Turtle, offering, what appears to be the same facilities. In many cases these are listed at rates which appear to be as much as half the rack price of Turtle. If this is the case, and the service and staff are like minded, then Turtle needs to take a clear look at the Return Plan policy and how they handle it. Whilst, at this time, Turtle remains my No 1 holiday location it would be foolhardy of me not to try at least two of the alternatives before returning.

4 Thank must_tell_u
Malibu, California
Reviewed October 17, 2012

To try and describe the Turtle Island experience is impossible... It is truly unlike any other resort you will find yourself. The feeling you get from the getting to know the staff and other couples as true friends just does not happen elsewhere. You feel as if you are all stranded on eden together... This was our second trip to the Island and the purpose of this visit was to return to the most special place that we had traveled together to tie the knot. The wedding ceremony itself was magical, so intimate and romantic without any of the traditional stresses of preparing the wedding. Turtle island took care of everything and made it perfect. The thing about this place is that they understand the essence of romance. If you are looking to return to the roots of romance and make fabulous friend on the side this is the place to go... just don't go with pre-conceived notions of what it will be like because it is guaranteed you have not experienced anything like it before.
Thank you Turtle Island, we will be back

3 Thank Schmutterfly
Newhall
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Romantic connections were made. Privacy and service were the absolute best. Never saw another plane in the sky except for the seaplane that flew us in.
Loved the private beaches and the private dinners on the beach.
Loved the family dinners with other guests.
Wow!
I want to go back

4 Thank Joseph T
Laguna Niguel
Reviewed October 2, 2012

If rustic elegance is what you seek in the ULTIMATE romantic location with the friendliest staff on earth and beautiful accommodations with delicious food and activities to do at your leisure, if ever, then Turtle Island is the PERECT place to go.

My husband and I as well as our good friends went to celebrate our anniversaries on Turtle Island from 9/20/2012 to 9/27/2012. It was the BEST 7 days of vacation I've ever experienced. I am not the world’s most traveled person but, I have been on over a dozen international vacations and have been on the most amazing cruises both European rivers, Mediterranean and Caribbean. I have never actually considered that a place as perfect as Turtle Island existed even after reading the raving reviews and speaking to a couple that had been there. I was in awe!

The first impression is of the Island staff holding a sign welcoming you and of course two gorgeous "warriors" carrying you to shore (sorry folks, this is for ladies only!). Then you are "welcomed home." This phrase is not a gimmick, they mean it and the feeling you get from that response resonates through your body. After 2 days you realize that this staff and this place is truly magical.

The Bure Mama makes you feel the warmth and nurturing you may not realize you missed or never got. It is a warmth that exists in the Fijian people. You will likely feel this same feeling from Arthur, Jerry, Bill, Atu, Jay, Mathew, Danny, Sai and all of the other staff. They are so sweet, warm and funny! They will make you feel alive, refreshed and renewed and maybe even give you a little lesson on survival (don't miss the coconut demonstration...seriously!) and the water will melt your heart. The diving, fishing and snorkeling are world class. The food is organic and grown on the island and prepared day after day in the most refreshing and delicious ways. You will not be disappointed here. The accommodations are large, warm and offer every possible amenity and views from every one of the bures. The refrigerators are restocked daily and the snacks are 24/7. How does a pitcher of mojitos sound at 4:00 as you relax in your oceanside hammock? Well, this is only the beginning.

I cannot profess enough my love for a place and a people and an experience as I could or would for Turtle Island. It is romantic, beautiful, fun, delicious, entertaining and relaxing in a way that doesn't exist anywhere on earth, except here. It is magic!

If you EVER get the opportunity to go to see magic in action, visit Turtle Island and tell them Cora and Pam Olsen sent you. I might just see you there...I will be back!

3 Thank Cora B
San Francisco, California
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We just got back from Turtle Island a week ago and it is so hard to come back to reality. This was our second visit to Turtle island and we could not wait to go back. It was even better the second time around and now we cannot wait to go back again!
If you are looking for a place that is unlike any other - then you need to go to Turtle Island. The island itself is breathtakingly beautiful but the staff is what really makes it!!! They are the most affectionate and loving peple that you will ever meet in your life. They get you to appreciate the simple things in life. The laughter is never ending and there is no way that you cannot enjoy yourself. If you want privacy you can have that but most likely you can't wait to get back to the rest of the guests and your turtle family. The communal dining is what makes it. I know the first time we went there my husband was dreading the communal dining and the end of this trip he said that is what makes it so special and unlike any other.

We celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary on the Island and renewed our vows. To say it was an unbelievable experience - would be a complete understatement. We cannot thank our turtle family for all of the beautiful extra touches they did for us. The flowers and setting were absolutley amazing and the ceremony itself was so very special!!! We can never thank you enough!!!! I am not an emotional person but I had tears of joy all day.

This is more than just a five star resort - it is an experience of a lifetime!!!! It doesn't matter what you do for a living - no one cares. Everyone is on a first name basis and extremely friendly. You can see people fully relax within a day of being there. The private beaches are so beautiful and a great time to catch up with your loved one. True romance in every aspect of the word.

Thank you to Aurthur, Jerry, Mikai, Erami, Matthew, Bill, Dame, Buna, Mela, Tokasa, Neal, and all of the rest of the staff - I wish I could list all 80 of you. A special thank you to Mama Ala for taking such good care of us. You are so lucky to be living in paradise!!! Until we come back again - Vinaka!!!!

Room Tip: All of the Bures are absolutely beautiful. We stayed in Bure #3 and then Bure #1. Bure #1 is their...
3 Thank fun4smm
Dana Point, California
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I have been lucky enough in my life to travel through Europe, the Caribbean, Hawaii - a multitude of times, Alaska & a lot of other stops in between. But coming to Turtle Island tops them all! I watched all the videos & read all the reviews, but none of it prepared me for the experience I was about to have. The moment your toes touch the sand, the drink is placed in your hand, the people sing their welcome & finish with "Bula, welcome home", it hits you. This is Paradise!

This vacation is so different from all the others because of the people. To me, it's because on other vacations you can be treated well by the resort &/or staff, but on Turtle Island, you become family. It's so amazing because while you see the staff working away at their jobs, you see them enjoying their lives. There are a whole lot of people today that forget how to do that. The people reminded me of some very important life lessons. I hope I never forget them again. Life can be short, don't waste a minute. They seem to know how to balance it.

For the people that weren't happy with Turtle Island, I say I feel sorry for you and your family. If you can't find joy & contentment here, you probably couldn't find it if it bit you on the nose.

Thank you Arthur, Billy, Jerry, Lei & most especially momma Mili & all the rest of the staff on Turtle Island. Even you Alex, our German Fijian! Hahaha! I still can't wipe the smile off my face. YOU ARE THE BEST!!!!!

Room Tip: All of the bures really are nice. I was worried I might get one that was sub par, but they were all...
2 Thank Orangefreddie1
#1 of 1 in Yasawa Island
Nanuya Island Resort
Nanuya Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Nanuya

Been to Turtle Island Resort? Share your experiences!