“excellent dive operation!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Taveuni Island
Nakia Resort & Dive
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Taveuni Island
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We have spent last week in Taveuni and done three excellent dives with Nakia. We have not stayed in Nakia Resort (which is apparently one of the best resorts in Fiji) but just went diving with them.This is probably one of the best dive operations in Fiji. Manasa, Julie, Thomas, Viti, Floyd and others make this an excellent experience along one of the most colorful and amazing reefs in the world. We live in Nadi, Fiji and work for Fiji National University and will definitely go there again to continue scuba-diving. However, unfortunately I will not be able to give 5 stars because of our unfortunate encounter with one of the most racist people I have met in Fiji. Fiji is a very multicultural country where people from diverse cultures and races blend and create an incredibly rich social experience. The person I am talking about is Robin Kelly (one of the owners of the resort). She just gave us a lift from our place to Nakia and it probably took around 15 minutes during which she called Fijian people "not that bright" and made several degrading and ignorant comments about them (calling them thieves and lazy people). Moreover, when I told her that I was originally from Turkey she said "oh they are all the same for me those Middle Eastern countries" and added "what's wrong with those people, why do they kill women there?" and "I would never go there as I would not feel secure". I teach Ethics and Governance at FNU since August 2012 and always emphasize the importance of mutual respect so I feel really upset when I encounter such strongly prejudiced people who reject trying to understand other cultures and the value of cultural diversity.

Dr. Erman Kaplama

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Erman K

Reviewed August 18, 2013

My husband and I booked a stay at Nakia for the last part of our honeymoon, and I'm so glad we did! Leading up to our visit, Robin was super helpful over email, answering all of our questions and giving us a ton of information about the resort and the island. When we arrived a day late due to flight delays, Robin and her staff made sure we were fed and relaxed as soon as we arrived and greeted us with a smoothie and a delicious signature juice. I really loved how small and intimate the resort was; we stayed a lot of places on this trip and we felt most comfortable and at home at Nakia.

The staff are so incredibly friendly and helpful during our whole stay; I really appreciated how we were greeted by name, everyone asked our plans and offered tips, and generally just seemed very interested in our well being.

The food was top notch - a highlight of our three week trip. The ingredients are very fresh, everything is homemade and they have this coconut chutney that is out of this world! I loved that the food made me feel energetic and healthy rather than heavy and weighed down as can happen on holiday. The bure was spacious and comfortable. The views are outstanding and we enjoyed relaxing in the hammock overlooking the ocean. The pool was refreshing and we enjoyed our daily swims.

We don't dive, but there are so may other things to do! We went snorkeling, hiking, toured a fruit farm and went down a rock waterslide! Robin and the staff all had tons of suggestions on what to do and it was so nice that they were able to take us where we wanted to go. Again, I just have to say that every single Nakia staff member goes out of their way to make you feel welcome and make sure your needs are met.

I love that the resort is actually eco-friendly and isn't just "green washed." You can tell that the place has been developed with the greatest care and intention. I would come back here in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: There are only four bures - I don't think you can go wrong! The views from the Sunset bure were...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 9, 2013

My family had a wonderful vacation at Nakia Resort and Dive. We enjoyed 11 days of spectacular scenery and wonderful service. We stayed in the family bure which fit our needs with 2 large bedrooms and 2 bathrooms and a veranda. We cannot say enough about the service at the resort and dive shop the motto seems to be “We are here for you; you are on Holiday”. The food was good and the service was excellent! Every effort was made to accommodate our needs when possible. There is no TV and limited internet (no movie streaming allowed) so I would suggest you come prepared.

My 11 year old niece got her Padi dive certification with one on one instruction. We are occasional divers and we were a little nervous the first couple of dives BUT the dive masters went above and beyond making sure we felt safe and had a great time. We saw some wondrous sights and we laughed the entire time.

No Worries = Sega na Lega ("Senga-na-lenga")

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Hessmer
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We absolutely loved our stay at Nakia Resort! The staff was amazing and the resort was just beautiful. We had so much fun scuba diving as well through Nakia's dive shop. Most amazing scuba diving! The home-grown food was delicious and organic, the bures were beautiful and cozy, and the property that the resort is on was well taken care of and gorgeous! Robin and her family (including the staff) were the most amazing people to work with. We really appreciated their help in making our stay the best possible. One of the staff members drove us around to see all the local beauty of Taveuni, he went the extra mile to ensure that we saw everything tourists need to see. We cannot wait to come back for another visit!!
The Harris' ("the kids")

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The owners and staff were very friendly, helpful and looked after us very well. The diving was varied and the crews were fantastic. I will definitely return for another visit. Bill

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 31, 2013

This is the perfect place to stay if you want to combine land and sea and also have excellent service. Birding was great and the snorkelling world-class. We loved the food. The children enjoyed the beach and the swimming pool and patting the owners' cats and dogs. Service is very friendly and personal and you can arrange all kinds of trips through the owners.

We stayed in a family bure with 2 kids, 3 & 8, plus a baby-sitter. It offered two separate rooms with separate entrances and a door between the two rooms. The only hot shower was on the larger side, the baby-sitter in addition had a cold outdoor shower, which she also enjoyed.

Sugar ants are abundant in the bathroom, so keep your food in the refrigerator. Put mosquito repellant on for dinner and sleeping. Tap water is good to drink as such, which makes life easier.

Washing service is available for 15 FJD per load, but line drying may take 2 days, depending on the weather.

Extra plus for the very ecological aspect to everything.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 15, 2013

This was our 2nd stay at Nakia and it really was just as wonderful as the first time we visited 18 months ago. We travelled with our two boys aged 9 and 11 and our friends (a couple who stayed in the sunset Bure). The Somosomo bure was just as comfortable as I remember it. The bure contains everything you could need, even solar powered lanterns and 1st aid kits. The beds are all very comfortable with two separate bathrooms. The outdoor shower is just glorious. You can sit on the balcony with 180 degrees views across the rainbow reef, and we would sit of an evening with a G&T in hand and watch the sun set over the sea. The food was outstanding, we managed to try everything in our 11 day stay. They cooked the Trevally our son Jack caught to perfection as well as a lovely lemon cake to celebrate our other son Harrys 12th birthday.

Robin, Jim, Julie and all the wonderful staff looked after us so well – their generosity and kindness made us feel as if we were staying with family. Also their commitment to running Nakia using only sustainable natural energy sources, and organically growing the majority of the produce required for their restaurant is truely commendable!

The diving and snorkelling (which is truely spectacular) are one of the main reasons we travel to Taveuni, but even if you dont do either you could be perfectly content at Nakia sitting by the pool overlooking the Somosomo strait with nothing more to want for.
We all walked the Lavena Coastal walk , something we missed out on last time, and it was a wonderful day. The scenery was spectacular. I would recommend going with a guide (only about $10 for the day!) as they provide alot of information about the plants and local community in the area.

Nakia will always be our very special place. I hope we can return for a third visit sometime very soon!

Vinaka Vaka Levu!