“Amazing Eco-resort!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Taveuni Island
Nakia Resort & Dive
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Taveuni Island
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Consider the fact that Taveuni has no central water or power and is pretty darn remote even by Fiji standards.

Amazingly, Nakia has overcome these hurdles in a renewable way to create an experience that would be impressive even in a much less remote location. The massive garden means you get to enjoy fresh vegetables in every fantastic meal. The staff is always happy and warm to the guests. If you like diving or snorkeling, the boats are new, and safety is clearly top of mind lending to a more enjoyable experience at the incredible Rainbow Reef. Add to all this an incredible view, and you have the ingredients for an experience you wont soon forget.

It's quite clear that the owners of Nakia care a lot and it shows in all aspects of this resort. Thank you Nakia!

Room Tip: Sunset Bure has a great view, get that one if you can! If you have any preferences about food quant...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Nakia Resort & Dive

Reviewed October 31, 2012

First off I think when you review places you have to keep in mind prices relative to others in the area and where it is located. If you pay $700 a night in Manhattan you expect luxury. In far away remote locations your expectations should be different, but level of service is always important. I've stayed in probably over 150 different hotels and cities over time.

Nakia Resort is a wonderful place to stay. It is a good deal as well considering how expensive some of the other hotels are on Taveuni. The main reason I stayed there is because the dive shop I had researched was supposed to be excellent.

The owners are extremely friendly and pleasant people who I felt bent over backwards to be accomodating and nice to me. It was very much appreciated. I think they are that way to everyone, but it was a nice touch. It's a family run business and you can tell they care very much about their guests and their experience.

Accommodations were perfectly fine for me. Clean, no A/C, but a fan, and lots of windows to keep the place reasonably cool. Hammocks are all over the hotel which are great. Lots of shade if you need it and a pool which I didn't use. The beach is a short walk down some steps with snorkeling right there, which again I didn't do. I was impressed with their "eco-resort" credentials. Most companies just say that, they really do it which I'm sure is time consuming and expensive for them for such a small resort, but they care.

Diving was awesome, Fiji is definitely one of the best places I have been to and Julie who is the owner is extremely competent, patient, and wonderful. If I ever get my Divemaster I would consider her for a teacher. As expected and as those who dive a lot know the surrounding area has some of the top dive sites in the world. Lots of current, which brings vibrant soft coral color and fish life. Everyone at the dive shop was super friendly and kind. I especially appreciate them taking me out by myself on the smaller boat. A lot of shops wont take just one diver because its not cost effective. I wouldn't go out with anyone else but them if I went to Taveuni.

Food is a special mention. I have to admit I'm a pretty picky eater and don't like certain kinds of foods. But this place had awesome food. Some of the best curry I've ever had. Everything I ate was good, the menu had a good selection and everything was tasty. Probably some of the best I've had at an all inclusive resort and I've been to several. All of the hotel staff were some of the friendliest nicest people I've ever interacted with, not a single person didn't say hello every day and if there was anything they could do to help you.

The only negative thing which is not their fault is in the upper bure, sometimes a generator is running next door, at least that is my guess, and you can get some gas fumes coming in. Its not all day and night, but that was the only annoying thing, which is not their fault and happened to be the way the wind was blowing when I was there. The lower bures don't have that issue.

All in all one of the best places I've stayed and while I like to travel do different locations, I will come back to Taveuni one day and when I do I will stay at Nakia.

Room Tip: stay in the lower bures
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank LWFPS
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Nakia Resort & Dive is a true gem of hospitality. Whether you come here as a family or as a couple being on your honeymoon, Robin, Jim and their staff anticipate the kind of hospitality you wish to receive. Ourselves, a family of four with two adolescents, we felt so warmly welcomed as if we had belonged to the Kelly family. The resort spreads a natural and relaxed atmosphere. The accommodation is great, not an artificial luxury of holiday, but rather providing what you need to feel comfortable. The staff looks after you in whatever way you like, and the food is delicious. It is a true eco resort, and at Nakia the word eco is not just an empty word to get publicity: Robin and Jim managed to develop a resort that provides comfort of a modern living style based on truly ecological standards. Instead of air conditioning the bures are built in a way to let air circulate, and a ventilator can add additional comfort if needed. Power supply comes from solar power, wind power and hydro power. Instead of getting shipped strawberries and other non-seasonal fruit from whatever continent, you get mainly served what grows in their garden, yet with a flavour that cannot be matched by imported products. At Nakia you get the feeling you are in balance with nature, and because of this we did not even mind some patches of rain, as the rain was just part of nature as well. What makes Nakia Resort & Dive even more special is the dive operation run by Julie. What you read on her website is not wishful dreaming but reality. You get the most personalized service of a dive operation you can imagine. Julie and their staff took care of my daughter and my son who both just had completed the open water certificate a couple of months ago. Despite the Somosomo Straits just off the Nakia Resort not really being a place for beginners, the staff provided such a personalized service with two dive instructors being available basically for me and my adolescent children. This level of care gave my children the confidence they needed to succeed with drift diving. I had never before seen such an abundance of soft and hard coral gardens, it was definitely worth coming to Taveuni. One word with regard to snorkelling: you can go snorkelling, and they really take care of snorkellers as well. However, due to the current and other local conditions there may be other places that are more attractive for snorkelling (e.g. the snorkelling we had experienced on the Maldives and on some coral islands of the Great Barrier Reef). In conclusion, Nakia & Dive is a true gem of hospitality, not for luxury freaks but for people who appreciate a personalized service while enjoying some of the best diving I have ever experienced so far.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank travellersenjoy_11
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We stayed there for three nights and love this place so much.. miss the Kelly family :)

Accommodation: we were lucky to have the room upgraded to the Sunset Bure, thanks Robin! The room was fully equipped and beautifully decorated. A giant hammock right in front of the bure perfectly for us lying in watching the sunset.

Food: I love this part the most :D the best food that I had from this whole trip was here at Nakia Resort. The menu offers a variety of food for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner plus afternoon tea, biscuit and dessert. The food was super fresh as most ingredients were organic and home grown. Love Robin's idea of not using pesticide but growing the veggies in a large amount to share with the lovely friends ,,, little bugs.

Diving: Service, dive masters, boat and diving equipment are in high standard. Thanks Julie and the team.

Service: the staffs are very friendly and tentative. Feel like I was one of their family members.

If you are after a quiet and romantic place, this is the one.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 16, 2012

My husband and I spent the 2nd of two weeks on Tavenui at Nakia in April/May 2012. We absoultely love this place. Robin, Jim, and their staff are absolutely fantastic. Everything we wanted or needed was there.

The food was fantastic - we loved the fresh veggies, chicken soup, desserts, and the steak is to die for! If you go hungry here, it's your own fault - the food is great and the portions more than generous. You can ask for more or less - just let Robin or your server know that you got too much or not enough. They absolutely want to make you experience perfect - ask, and if they can accomodate, they will. Robin's salad dressing recipe is wonderful and her desserts are decadent!

Our burre (Sunset) was perfect - spacious, clean, and with an awsome view! The resort is small and intimate - you will get to know your hosts (Jim & Robin) and their delightful, friendly staff. If you are looking for a 5 star, anonymous resort setting - this is not the place for you. If you are looking for a comfortable and friendly experience - this is it!! The grounds are beautiful, the pool refreshing, the food amazing, and the views spectacular!

The dive operation run by Robin & Jim's daughter - Julie - is top notch. They are absoultely fantastic - much of the diving here in the Somosomo Straight is not for beginners, but for experienced divers there are wonderful and exhilarating drift dive opportunities. The boats and all the equipment appeared to be in great condition, and safety was definitley a key concern of all the crew. The small boats and personalized services makes this operation one of the best we have experienced.

We loved this place and are very anxious to return!

Room Tip: We definitely recommend the Sunset Burre.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank diversinAlaska
Reviewed August 1, 2012

This resort is just delightful. Robin and Jim (and daughter Julie, who runs the dive shop operation) are warm and genuine hosts, who cannot do enough to ensure you have a peaceful and relaxing stay. Their resort, with its manicured gardens and inviting blue freshwater pool looks out over the Somosomo straits towards Vanau Levu. Hammocks are strung in various locations catching the breeze or shade or both. The spacious bures are private and airy, and a pair of Fiji goshawks seems ot have made their home nearby as they are oeftn seen in the gardens.

Mountain bikes and snorkelling gear is available for guests' use - as is a huge collection of novels, guidebooks to Fiji, birds, shells, underwater life... and board and card games too. Internet access is free via a guest computer - and there is wifi. Four gentle dogs and a 'softie' cat are around all the time and welcome as much attention as you wish to give them!

The food is individually prepared and includes wonderful Fijian and Indian specialties, fresh bread is baked daily and Robin's family recipes account for more American cuisine (soups recommended). Afternoon tea comes with fresh biscuits and the choice of black, mint or lemongrass tea as well as freshly brewed coffee.

Although we didn't dive, snorkelling from the beach below the resort (a few steps down to the road below) was warm in July and provided plenty of interest amongst the corals right next to the shore. However the dive shop can also arrange snorkelling on the Rainbow reef which was simply the best we have done. Safety is paramount, and the trip is accompanied by a member of staff - Sam was attentive and very informative, pointing out interesting features and clearly having a lot of fun himself. Our boat captain was constantly alert and monitoring our progress and we felt completely at ease in their care.

The staff are warm, genuine and friendly - nothing is too much trouble and they all make you feel they are sincerely interested in you - even though there must be a constant change of clientele. They all clearly enjoy working for the owners and have considerable respect for them and this makes for a happy, welcoming and simply delightful experience. Well done to you all - and thanks for a superb few days.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank copim
Reviewed July 16, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Nakia for 7 days en route from the U.S. to a year-long stay in New Zealand. I can't think of a better way to get over jet lag! Our first two nights were spent in the Garden Bure and we then moved to the Sunset Bure. Both were delightful, but the Sunset Burre definitely gets the nod for the views. Well worth the extra cost, if it's available. All of the bures are simple and spacious, and all are delightful accommodations. The staff is warm and welcoming and Robin (and often Jim) checks in with you at most meals to make sure that all is going well and to help out in any way that she can. I would strongly recommend getting the meal plan. Meals are all delicious and generous! (Note that drinks, including non-alcoholic drinks, are not included and will be added to your bill at the end of your stay.)

We are newly certified divers and the three days that we dove were our first ocean dives. The variety of fishes and corals was just incredible. We felt comfortable with our dive masters and well taken care of during all of our dives. If you aren't a diver, snorkeling trips can be arranged, though there's also fantastic snorkeling at the small beach down the cliff and across the road.

We also spend one morning biking and took a day trip to the Lavena Coastal Walk which was wonderful and highly recommended. Robin also arranged a village tour, which was a great glimpse into the lives of the Fijian people. Sea kayaks are also available.

For those of you who just want to sit at the beach...this is not the right place for you. The property is set up on a cliff and there are steps leading down to a small beach which exists only at low tide. They have a delightful pool on the property, where we had some nice afternoon swims.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple