“Lovely Stay”

Matei Pointe
Sunnyvale, California, United States
“Lovely Stay”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Just came back from Matei Pointe, and a wonderful stay. The property is beautiful and clean. We had a wonderful time snorkeling, kayaking and relaxing in the Bure. The combination of taking the kayak out to the reef and snorkeling there made it so easy! We didn't want to leave.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Laurie G

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Belgrade, Serbia
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I recently spent 8 nights at Matei Pointe Beach House on Taveuni with my parents at the end of this August. From the very first moment I felt like home and just wanted to stay there forever. The house is located on the cape with the most beautiful garden I've ever seen and the most beautiful view through the palm trees and other tropical vegetation, especially during the sunrise and sunset. We were picking up bananas, papayas, coconuts and breadfruit in the yard! The house is very comfortable with a huge living and dining room, two large bedrooms and one smaller. You definitely won’t miss the space there. The house equipment (especially dishes) is a bit old though. In addition, the house is architecturally very well designed to provide a full comfort of life and stay and it fits in the environment perfectly. There’s no electricity on Taveuni, generators are used everywhere and the one that is used in Matei Pointe is well done so you do not hear it at all. The beach is not the most convenient though, especially for those who like swimming and sunbathing. But if this is not crucial, Matei Pointe offers plenty of opportunities to relax and enjoy the peace, quietness, beautiful ambient and nature at different times of the day.

There is an excellent Jewel Bubble Divers diving center in a 15-minutes walking distance with an amazingly beautiful beach. There’s another one a bit further. However, one should be prepared for the fact that probably there’s no beach at Taveuni suitable for comfortable swimming especially during the low tide, but diving and snorkeling are excellent instead (including the reef in front of Matei Pointe). There’s also an excellent restaurant on the cape above the lagoon with good food, great view and friendly staff. Lo, your caretaker at Matei Pointe is a great cook too who prepares most of her food in a traditional Fiji way, often with coconut cream. I am personally a vegetarian so I couldn’t fully enjoy her culinary skills, but I was lucky to try some of the things I’ve never tried before that she prepared exclusively for me such as banana chips, breadfruit etc., all of which was extremely delicious.

In case you need this information, there’s Matei Airport just across the Matei Pointe house where you can find a fee wi-fi if the computer in the main room of the house is not available all the time and if you want to use your own gadgets. You can probably use it at any time but I did it mainly in the evening and no one was there.

I would definitely like to go to Taveuni and would gladly choose Matei Pointe again. I guess that’s the best recommendation.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Tijana M
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Been to Matei Pointe THREE times; What else can I say ? All the raves and reviews and photos can't do the place justice . Swimming, snorkelling, kayak and fishing...... or just relaxing in Paradise.......this is Real Fiji !! And the local Scuba dive facilities are world class ! Lo and Pita make you feel like family, and Scott makes it easy......... best kept secret in Fiji !!

Room Tip: Sunset Bure is my favourite
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lobo682
San Luis Obispo, California
Reviewed July 8, 2012

We stayed in the Sunset Bure for 4 wonderful nights. I would describe it as a large studio apartment with an amazing outdoor deck overlooking the water. We spent a lot of time just sitting and relaxing out of the deck, watching the ocean. And they don't call it Sunset Bure for nothing! Beautiful sunsets! The grounds are beautiful, lots of plants and trees, and in turn birds and butterflies.

This was our favorite place we stayed while traveling in Fiji. Comfortable bed, kitchenette which was very convenient so we didn't have to eat out for every meal. Pita and Lo were very nice, and helpful. You can walk to Coconut Grove for dinner, which I would recommend because we had the best fish ever at the restaurant there. You can also walk to Beverly Beach or Prince Charles beach (about 15 minute walk), where the snorkeling is great. There is also a little restaurant overlooking Prince Charles beach that is a great hangout, what a view!

The airport is directly across the street from the Matei Point property, also very convenient. (Don't worry, small planes come in infrequently, it's fun to watch them!). Overall, you can't go wrong with this place.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SLOtownStacy
Jamberoo, Australia
Reviewed May 28, 2012

We enjoyed our stay at Matei Point. Pita, Lo and Kula were very friendly. We enjoyed the setting, enjoyed snorkelling with the staff and our wonderul fish lunches. Thank you Scott.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Sandra E
Private
Reviewed May 28, 2012

This was my first trip to Fiji. I stayed in Nadi, Suva and Taveuni. Taveuni is the most rural of the three, but had the best accommodation. On top of that, Matei Pointe has Pita and Lo! As soon as the ground came into view at the end of the road, I knew this was going to be a relaxing vacation. The grounds are BEAUTIFUL. Pita took my bags to my room while I dashed down to the water to kick off my shoes and search for shells.

I am not used to being dotted on . . . it was wonderful. Pita and Lo always seem to be there when you had a question. There was nothing they could not assist me with. It was the first vacation that I had NO responsibilities and just existed. My favorite part of the stay was going snorkeling with Pita and the other staff. I had fun being kayaked out and watching them spear fish. They were impressive and so agile. The reef was gorgeous. So beautiful that it was almost better to snorkel than dive.

Matei Pointe is a very safe place to stay and relax. There are restaurants and local stores within a few minutes walking distance. Once the locals know you are there they always stop to ask if you need anything. Stay at Matei Pointe. I am when I return. I missed out on the cooked fish that they caught. I have to come back for dinner!

Room Tip: All the rooms are fine with an excellent view of the ocean. However, if you are stickler for posh ac...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank CuriousTrvl
CHICO
Reviewed December 29, 2011

We had an awesome stay at Matei Point! Pita and Lo were such a delight! We feel like we are a part of the family. When it was time for Mike and I depart to the airport, all of us were in tears. We are so attached to our beautiful "Fiji Family." They took such good care of us. This is our second time staying and we will be back, hopefully several more times. We loved snorkeling with Pita and Simon (they fished, we snorkeled) and having daily naps in the hammock. We woke up to sparkling gardens every morning, basked in the glowing sun, and walked to Audrey's when we felt like getting a sweet dessert. The staff at Scott's Matei Pointe were so kind and meticulous! They swept and mopped our bure every morning! They made our bed, cleaned our kitchen and brought us fresh flowers and lots of fresh fruit EVERY DAY!
We loved our stay! Unlike many vacations, we were actually sad to come back home.

Room Tip: Why would you need a pool? Why would you need a fitness center? The access to the calm, warm ocean...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple