“Beautiful spot for couples”
Review of Paradise Taveuni

Paradise Taveuni
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Taveuni Island
Reviewed October 15, 2008

Paradise Taveuni was a wonderful spot to take our honeymoon in Feburary. The weather was much better on Taveuni compared to mainland Fiji (where is was raining) and the atmosphere, staff and location of this resort made our first trip to Fiji very personalised and unforgettable.

We definately recommend the spa treatments - the massages, facials and foot rubs are FANTASTIC i didnt want to leave when the treatments had finished....

The snorkelling is fantastic, and its a 30 second walk from your bure, so make sure you take sun screen and even if you've never snorkelled before the dive team is more than happy to show you how.

The Bouma waterfalls tour was also a lot of fun, we got a picnic set up on a beach, a guide to the falls and a trip to the international dateline and a natural waterslide (which is a lot of fun).

The only thing we would recommend is to make sure you take some insect repellent if mosquitos like you....its a tropical island, mosquitos come out at night while you are eating dinner...but the staff are excellent and the resturant is kept almost 100% mosquito free.

Also, take a few pairs of cossies because once you've been in the water you'll be in and out of it all day!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CLCass
There are newer reviews for Paradise Taveuni

Reviewed September 28, 2008

Spent three nights at Paradise Taveuni in September 2008. My main purpose was to dive the famous dive sites of the Somosomo Strait and Rainbow Reef, but it had been a challenge to find the best location to do this from as the reef is off the coast on the island of Vanua Levu, not Taveuni. But since that part of the coast is inaccessible by road from the airports of Vanua Levu I had settled for Taveuni.
The resort itself is remote and peaceful. The staff is very friendly – a function of the nice and outgoing character of the Fijians that you will meet throughout the islands. The food is good to average and a little in the expensive side – there is no other place within reach so in this location you will have to get all your food from the resort. There is no need to purchase the full board they try to sell you as inclusive in your room rate when you first approach them. If you buy when there, you will have a wider choice and it will work out the same cost, perhaps less depending on your appetite. In general, there seems to be a focus on charging down to the smallest things, which gets a little in the way of the appreciation.
I booked an hour-long body massage at the “SPA”. It was interrupted by the therapist stepping out to have a chat with a friend halfway and cut short by ten minutes. I noted that to the therapist who said she had been through all parts which was the important thing. Nonsense of course. Noting my dissatisfaction, I was later approached by one of the managers who admitted it was regrettable, but the only compensation offered was to go back and do the last ten minutes, which in itself does not give you much time to get into a state of relaxation, so I found that to be poor handled. I have to admit that the quality of the massage had not been very good in the first place, so even less inclined to take up the offer. Thought it was poorly handled. The foot massage that you may receive on arrival is good.
When you arrive at the airport, it is still quite a trip to the resort. You will have to travel for an hour. Half the road is a very bumpy gravel road making for a quite unpleasant ride. If you are there to do some of the few other things tourist do other than diving (like a waterfall excursion) the location is quite inconvenient and you will find yourself spending several hours on these gravel roads.
As for the dive shop on the resort, it is somewhat disorganized. A key problem is the lack of attention to affixing the tanks when on the boat. On more than half the dives I was on, we had tanks flying round the deck which needless to say is unacceptable, and something I have only experienced on few and isolated occasions elsewhere. The diveshop seem a bit disorganized with a number of new people around as well. Despite being relatively close (a 15 minute boat ride) to the world-famous dive sites of the other side of the strait, they seem to prefer going to the nearby dive sites, which are not bad at all, but not the Rainbow Reef either. If you do your research before on the Rainbow Reef divesites and push a bit you can get them to fit it in, but they seem to have a preference for the easier divesites. It is a real shame being so close, yet not spending more time there.
So in conclusion, having spent some time on researching the best location for diving the Rainbow Reef, if I could do it again, I would go for one of the resorts which are actually on the coast of Vanua Levu, particularly The Dolphin Bay Divers Retreat (www.dolphinbaydivers.com). I had discarded it since you would need to go by boat across the strait (a 15 minute boat ride), but given the state of the gravel road that takes you down to Paradise Taveuni, it would have been easier. I talked to them before; they seem very friendly and focused on diving. There might also Rainbow be a place called Reef Resort on Vanua Levu, also right on the Rainbow Reef, if it still exists. If you want to stay on Taveuni, it is probably logistically simpler to stay at a resort which is closer to the airport further up on the east coast. That will also bring you closer to the Rainbow Reef and possibly some diveshops that focus more on that. One of the things, I had been looking to do instead was to dive from Savusavu. There you have divecenters that come highly recommended, but unfortunately, the otherwise very convenient airport was closed from around August to November I was told. Here they have other well-reputed divesites they focus on, but does not seem to do a lot of Rainbow Reef sites. If I were to go back (which I probably will, it will be Savusavu and/or Vanua Levu for diving. If not for diving, the Yasawas are really better.
The relaxed and remote location is good for budget honey mooners wanting to get away from the more busy honeymoon destinations, and it seems to attract quite a few of them too. There are two great Fijian cover bands that play at night at the resort; maybe they should rehearse Elvis’ True Love Travels on a Gravel Road.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled solo
7  Thank ExphilipX
Reviewed September 18, 2008

If you are traveling to Taveuni, stay at the Paradise resort. The drive to get there sucks, but it's well worth it. Paradise is an unspoiled collaboration of man and nature made all the more incredible by contrast to the concrete buildings and questionable surroundings of other resorts on the island. But if that doesn't convince you, then this should: the owners and staff are among the most wonderful people I've had the pleasure to meet in this lifetime. They all speak English quite well and work together to create a warm, happy environment that you will never want to leave.
I'm a diver, but if you like to snorkel you should know that in the water immediately surrounding the resort there is a thin layer of fresh water over the salt water, which could make snorkeling a frustrating affair (the two water types create a blurry layer).
If I had to complain about anything, it would be the large diesel generator that provides power to the resort (most, if not all electricity on Taveuni is provided by generators). I could hear it easily from my bure. But I must say that it was worth it to have electricity. I didn't notice it after a day or two and it did very little to detract from the amazing experience.
If you have the opportunity to stay at the Paradise, take it! And tell the staff I said BULA!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank blove319
Reviewed August 4, 2008

Pros:
Overall, Paradise was an absolutely beautiful place. The whole setting was superb, including the bure, restaurant, and landscaping. We found the Fijian staff
to be amazingly charming, fun, and welcoming. As we look back at the 2 weeks, the Fijian staff really stood out at Paradise. The snorkeling was great, as well as the diving. We rarely saw another dive boat. The food was also fantastic. We felt like a king and a queen. We were waited on every minute of the day, which was a little strange since we weren't used to it..but it was superb.

Cons:
A little too focused on making $ (a couple situations involving the the cost of additional activities could have been handled better..complicated story). Expensive diving. Expensive activities. Unreliable laundry service.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Crizo
Reviewed July 22, 2008

We have just returned from a five night stay at this resort. It is small, intimate, and totally charming. The bures are gorgeous. The owners and staff could not have done anymore to make our stay more wonderful - thank you one and all!! The sea is a cut glass colour with hundreds of different varieties of fish and coral. You can do as little or as much as you want. We had two great fishing trips (one of which became a two boat competition with another couple staying at the resort) which was fantastic fun. We look forward to returning to Paradise soon.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank hunnz
Reviewed June 2, 2008

One and a half hours by air from Nadi. Two choices Pacific Sun by far the cheapest and Air Fiji more than double the price but I tock this option going there as the other airline was full and one more night in Nadi, well I just preferred to spend it at Taveuni. The weather was lousy on departure, the flight was going originaly direct then schedual changed, going by Suva. On the day changed again and went via Savu Savu on Island time too! The little plane is one memory that will not go away for a while. I think the plane originally came from China, has 14 seats maybe cant remember and 'DAYLIGHT' can be seen through the frame. A few hair raising stories have I been told since, doors not shuting, screws hanging from the engine. All exciting stuff. A very bumpy ride indeed. A quick fall out of the sky into Savu Savu to pick up one passenger. Exciting as you look down the plane, through the cockpit, as seen by the pilot, at the very fast approaching footpath your going to land on. Now at Taveuni I am greeted, my bag put in the back of a 4x4 ute and wrapped in a tarpollen to stop it getting wet. One hour drive, 45 min of this is on dirt and bumped my way to the Paradise. By this time I had had enough of bumps. Greeted by my host Terri with a lei of heavenly scented flowers ( they hung in my bure for the entire week spreading their sent throughout) wonderful. A coconut to drink and an intro to my surroundings. Off to my bure and a complimenty foot massage.Great but my backside was the one that needed it. Although a 30 min massage also throwen in I was just to busy to take up the offer. The bure very confortable BUT the lighting appaulling, from dusk on you have problems seeing, forget reading. The bed has mosi curtains draping down for effect only. Useless as not only gaps between them, there is no top so any insects about just come in and they do. A fan HIGH above only good if you need it but power goes off 12 to 4am. The arrival of the new generator may fix this. Holidays are for resting, sleeping, yes? Well when I was there at 3 am EVERY morning the roosters start crowing. After complaining finally two were caught and placed in a cage. They crowed at the ones still on the loose. Forget a good sleep. The staff wonderful, the food on meal package; the local lovo one of the best in Fiji. two out of seven nights pasta( not fresh with tomato sauce and olives) forget it. Every days lunch menu offers fish beer battered, Always tuna, and probably is the same very frozen one today. You would think being right next to the sea something better would be on offer. Other food good though. The was even a visiting RHINO in a highchair dinning.The sea high or low tide just in front has snorkling and a very close drop off. Perfect to learn scuba. I did and tanked out on reefs. Soft corals and even a shark or two. Look out for the flasher fish can be seen off the lava rocks in front , this is very special and quite unique. Normally only seen out in deep waters.All in all a great isolated place to visit, very green and if a few things sorted out could be up there with the best. Watch out for Ami the parrot who has a liking for glasses. Many day excursions to choose from. I visited a village an hour walk down the road and was invited into a house for a cuppa. The poeple are just so,so poor. The children I was told by the father will be so proud for weeks cause they had a european come visit their house.A special moment for me. My cam card spat it so sorry no pics, you will just have to go there and see for yourselvies.Thanks to hosts Terri and Allan, All the staff, Carl,Murial and the boys of the Dive.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo
5  Thank Waikatosflyingkiwi
Reviewed March 29, 2008

After 15 trips to Fiji and staying at numerous resorts I found Paradise Taveuni and have fallen in love.

Nestled between the majestic rainforest mountains and the volcanic cliffs, Paradise Taveuni is a fantastic resort where the warm and friendly staff treats you like family.

My room was spotlessly clean, well layed out and the outdoor shower and spa bath were fantastic.

The meals were to die for with a wide range of options available, but for me the highlights were the snorkeling trips I did with Archie and the ‘Fiji night’ with lots of singing, dancing and kava drinking. The most fun I’ve had in a long time.

I loved the resort and people so much I have booked to go back in 8 weeks and am counting down the days till I return.

Thanks Terri, Allan and the Paradise team for making my holiday so enjoyable and I will see you soon.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled solo
#4 of 4 in Matei
Makaira Resort
Makaira Resort
#3 of 4 in Matei

Been to Paradise Taveuni? Share your experiences!