“Book it and go! It was the best trip EVER!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Taveuni Palms Resort

Taveuni Palms Resort
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Taveuni Island
La Jolla, California
“Book it and go! It was the best trip EVER!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2012

I’m picky, I’m particular and I have extremely high standards. I knew Taveuni Palms would be an incredible experience but EVERY aspect of our holiday FAR exceeded ALL of my expectations.

Arrival: As soon as we landed our driver, Babu, greeted us by name, loaded our bags (I have no idea how he knew which ones were ours) and whisked us around the corner to Taveuni Palms. When we arrived the staff were singing, clapping and smiling. Kelly was there to meet us and gave us a giant hug and a lovely refreshing coconut drink was placed in our hands and flowers around our necks. It was such a lovely warm welcome. Kelly walked us to our villa where chilled champagne and gorgeous flowers were waiting for us.

The Accommodation: We stayed in both the upper and lower villas and toured the Grand Villa (unfortunately it was booked otherwise we would have spent a few nights there too). All of the villas are lovely and the Grand Villa is truly … well… grand! And the views from the Grand Villa are breathtaking. If you are getting married in Taveuni do it at the Grand Villa but book it early, as it is understandably very popular.

All of the villas are extremely private and you would never know that other guests were even on the property because you never hear or see them. Each of the villas has their advantages but we preferred the lower villa to the upper because of the grass lawn, the bigger pool and the larger private beach which has very easy access. If you like the beach note that the beach is a bit of a hike from the Grand Villa (that is really its only downside). The upper villa has its own open-air spa for massages, which is lovely and the pool is right outside the villa doors. But regardless of which villa you stay in they are all lovely and they are immaculate.

I am a bit of a “germaphobe” and often find even the top hotels don’t always do a great cleaning job. That is certainly not the case here! I'm sure the floors must be cleaned, swept or washed multiple times a day. There was never any sand, debris, spots, or dust bunnies on the floor and there wasn’t any dust on the baseboards or corners, no cobwebs and no yuck in the grout in the bathroom or kitchen. The entire villa was spotless! The gardens were equally spotless. They were immaculately groomed – no dead leaves, cobwebs or “yuck” at the base of the bushes. It was simply perfection.

I loved the nightly turn down service. I won’t spoil the surprise but it was always a treat to see what the staff did to make the bedrooms and bathrooms special each evening.

The Food: The food was as amazing, delicious and varied as all of the previous reviews indicated. Teila’s Fijian fish curry (which I had 4 times!), the lobster and the coconut crab were my favorite main courses. All of the desserts were delicious but my favorites were the lemon tart and the coconut lovo cake. We ate like little pigs and I gained 6 pounds in 8 days! I didn’t even know that was possible! But it was so worth it as the food was so fresh and delicious and I live in California where everything is fresh, organic and produced locally. Kelly and Tony have an organic farm on the island and all the meat and poultry is sourced locally. They also have a fruit garden/orchard on site and at their home. Any seafood that is served has been caught just before it is being served to you. Unbelievably the food is relatively low calorie and low fat. Kelly gladly shares her recipes, which are also, unbelievably, very easy to make. If you have the time and the inclination, do take them up on the cooking lessons. We had so much fun learning how to make papaya soup (it sounds disgusting but words can’t describe how delicious it is), cassava chips and Teila’s Fijian fish curry (which is, seriously, to die for!) in our kitchen in the villa.

The Service: The service is truly what sets Taveuni Palms apart from any other 5 star resorts. The staff is available when you need them, but are very careful to give you all the privacy you want or need. Teila was our service manager and she was truly a ray of sunshine. Seeing her beautiful smiling face every morning saying, “Bula” was a highlight every day. Shortly after we arrived she sat down with us to discuss what excursions and activities we wanted to do so she could plan the best day and times. Take her advice, she’s been doing this a long time and has it down perfectly. Of course, being typical Americans we wanted to do everything! She was lovely and accommodating and has a wonderful spirit akin to a loving, caring mother.

The service staff was pleasant, kind and attentive and it is clear that Kelly and Tony love their staff like their family as they are all smiling and happy, have a genuine love of their jobs and really want to please their guests. It was the details that made such an impression, coming back from an outing and being met by Robert or Teila holding refreshing ice cold lime water, the multiple perfectly situated dining locations with beautiful table settings which in and of themselves were works of art, the fresh flowers and giant flower arrangements, the presentation of the food, the lanterns and candles, how the service staff was there but “not there”, the housekeeping fairies whom you never saw but did an amazing job as with the gardeners (I never saw them or heard them – except when Teila asked one of the gardeners to climb a coconut tree so I could try fresh coconut water - but the property was immaculately groomed), the endless supply of freshly baked coconut cookies (this was key as I had my teenage son with me who devoured tin after tin of the cookies and the cookie fairies continually replenished them). I could go on….

If you have a dietary restriction you can rest assured that it will be well taken care of. My son has a severe peanut allergy and we felt completely comfortable that it was seriously addressed. Kelly even researched the massage oils and the Pure Fiji bath products to ensure they had not been processed in a factory that contained peanuts. Again, Taveuni Palms is all about the details!

The Excursions: There is plenty to do or nothing to do on this island. You could spend your entire visit just at the villa and have a lovely time. We went on at least one excursion or trip away from the villa a day. You can guarantee that Kelly will choose the best vendor on the island and it will be entertaining, educational and fun! Lavena Falls is a must do. If you only do one excursion do this one. We did the kayaking to the falls and a combo of the motorboat and walk back. It is pretty much a full day excursion and despite being fit we were exhausted at the end of the day. Bouma falls was lovely but if you lack time it is miss able. The island excursion/date line, natural waterslide, church was well worth trip and the lovo night at Sera’s home was delightful. We went on numerous scuba diving trips with Julie and Wayne at Nakia Dive and went surfing with them as well. Nakia is a first rate operation – I’ll post a separate review. All of the excursions are good fun and are very inexpensive. It was a treat to have Babu pick us up in the nicely air-conditioned vehicle and Teila always made sure towels, cold water and snacks were packed for us for each trip – again, it’s the details.

The highlight of the trip for my son was going fishing with Tony. They caught tuna, which Tony had the chef marinate, spice and sear and serve to us for part of our dinner. It was SO delicious! Tony is such a kind and thoughtful man and my son had “the best time” and looked so happy when he was holding up his “bounty”.

One of the many highlights of the trip for me was the visit to Claude’s Pearl Farm. We were fortunate enough to be there during the harvest. Claude opened 10 oysters, 6 of which had beautiful, large pearls. He explained the entire farming process to us which is very interesting. Make sure to budget to purchase some of his pearls. They are unique to Fiji and the colors are spectacular! Additionally, I asked Teila if she could find some Fijian handmade fans for me as the handicraft stores we visited in town had a dismal (and expensive) selection of arts and crafts. Teila had her mum and grandmother make a bunch of fans for me to take back as souvenirs and gifts for friends. They were beautiful! And my friends and family loved them!

If you have any hesitation about booking this trip, don’t. If you are thinking about booking elsewhere on the island, don’t. Taveuni Palms is worth every penny and I can assure you, you will be planning your return before your trip is even over!

Many thanks, Kelly, Tony and your beautiful staff! This was our best trip ever!!!

Room Tip: The Grand Villa is truly grand with unbelievable views. The Upper Villa seems better suited for hon...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
9 Thank SED11

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2012

Hi Everyone,
Just wanted to let you know that we just got back from 11 nights at Taveuni Palms and if you are booked to go there is no need to worry about the flooding. It is isolated to the Nadi area. Taveuni has not been affected at all. We had the best time. We had a spectacular diving experience. The soft coral and fish are abundant. The dive team is top notch.
The villa was beautiful. Gorgeous views. Having our own pool was the best part. Sunset cocktails in the horizon edge pool was the highlight of each day for me. For my wife it was the food.
I cannot say enough good things about the staff. They are the nicest, friendliest people you will ever meet and nothing is too much trouble.
This was an expensive trip for us but we left feeling as though it was worth every dollar and would go back again in a heartbeat. We have started saving already.
I will post some vacation pictures soon and post a link.

Room Tip: As far as I can tell, they are all great!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Steven73_12
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2012

We just returned from an amazing 7 night stay at Taveuni Palms. We were looking for a resort that was private, luxurious and also accommodated children, as we were travelling with our toddler. After researching many destinations, Taveuni Palms seemed to fit the bill. We had high expectations for our trip there, and as some other reviewers have said, our expectations were met and exceeded. The owners Kelly & Tony have created a truly unique and special place on the magical Taveuni Island.

First off the island is just spectacular, they call it the garden island, and as you fly in, you can see why. We were greeted at the villa by Kelly and the staff in the warmest and sweetest way imaginable, and it was great start to our trip. The villas at Taveuni Palms are beautiful, spacious, and all have a private pool and private beach. The staff are truly out of this world, after a couple of days they start to feel like family. They tended to our every need and their hospitality is second to none. We have travelled to many places around the world, but we have never experienced this level of service. Nothing was ever too much trouble for them, we truly miss them and their beautiful smiles. The spa treatments were fantastic, we booked a massage almost every day.

We had a nanny dedicated to our baby, and he took to her immediately. I called her the baby whisperer, because our typically shy boy was at ease with her from the moment we arrived. She took such lovely care of him for our entire trip and really lightened the load for us so that we could all enjoy our holiday together.

The food is definitely 5 star. All ingredients are seasonal and organic, and with those ingredients in the hands of their very talented chefs, every meal was out of this world. Any seafood was caught fresh daily and cooked for dinner that night. They even offer complimentary cooking lessons with the chef if there was a particular dish we wanted to learn how to make!

They offer many tours, and the tour guide is so entertaining and informative. We thoroughly enjoyed our tour with him.

The beach was so clean and beautiful to swim in, and the views from the villa (especially at sunset) are just breathtaking.

We are so glad we discovered Taveuni Palms and can't wait to go back. It's by far our favourite holiday to date.

Room Tip: We stayed in the lower villa - beautiful villa with easy private beach access and lovely grounds.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank balmydays
Colleyville, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2012

We experienced the beauty of the South Pacific (Fijian & Tahitian Islands) 3 years ago and it changed our lives and marriage with such impact that we return every year. We have stayed at some of the finest luxury resorts known for their impeccable service level; e.g. Four Seasons, Relais & Chateaux, etc. We experienced a new level of service at Taveuni Palms Resort that has set a new standard for us. The staff are what sets this resort apart from all other resorts we have stayed with. The attention to detail with the resorts grounds and meticulous landscaping. The attention to the food service preparation and presentation, fresh picked flowers and freshly ground salt and pepper with every meal. The staff went out of their way to make sure our getaway experience was unforgettable. The spa services are the best and most economical we have experienced. We enjoyed 90 minute massages everyday.

We stayed in the lower villa which had a private beach and the easiest access to the water. The grand villa was spectacular and can sleep 8-10 with the nicest amenities and views of the villas. which is where we will stay next time and bring our 6 children.

We would highly recommend this place for pampering, rest, relaxation and an amazing level of service.

Room Tip: Lower villa has a private beach with easy access Grand villa has amazing amenities and spectacular...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Steven B
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2012

I cannot begin to describe how wonderful this "hotel" is. There are only 3 villas and they are completely secluded, you will not see another guest. Each villa comes with a staff of 8 including, breakfast, lunch, and dinner staff, chef, massage therapists, driver, etc. When looking at the website I thought it is just too good to be true, but it is real. Every picture is exactly how the villa looks, the beautiful views, and the way the staff sets up for dinner. I went here on my honeymoon in July and I couldn't have picked a more spectacular destination. Taveuni island is the most beautiful place in the world and I cannot wait to go back. I would do the 20+ hour travel again in a second. Taveuni palms is paradise. The stay is completely care free and private. Our meals and trips were planned for us every day to perfection. We woke up to "bula bula" a warm welcome from the staff, breakfast, and a friendly meeting to tell us our plans for the day. Each morning they told us what the 4 course dinner would be, asked us if we wanted to change anything. The resort is unbeatable, the staff are amongst the friendliest people you will ever meet, the island and local people are delightful. There is absolutely NOTHING bad I can say about this trip. Every time I had a thought it was done for me before I had to say anything. Cold beverages and massage therapists were sent to our villa at the end of every day. This hotel is expensive, but it included everything you want to do and we spent almost no money once we were on Taveuni island. The experience is completely worth the cost!

Room Tip: Villa comes with 2 bedrooms and master villa comes with 4 bedrooms
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Honey m
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2012

We have recently returned from our visit to Taveuni Palms resort and all of the above reviews are true! We stayed in the Grand Villa and it is really amazing we would highly recommend this place to anyone. We plan to revisit in the near future. The location, staff and food are beyond words.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Karen K
Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2011

This place is truly amazing. We just returned from 8 incredible nights in the Grand Villa. After reading all the other trip advisor reviews I had high expectations and these high expectations were exceeded!! The views are breathtaking. The master bedroom has door that open all the way to a beautiful view of the pacific…a very peaceful morning sight. We spent most of our lounge time at the pool but there is also a cabana at the beach (to get to the beach you have to go down about 85 or so stairs on a well landscaped path). Any request we had was met with “of course we can do that for you”. As has been posted before the food is always beautifully presented (we learned quickly that we always wanted to bring a camera to the table!). Not only does it look good but it tastes great! We loved all meals but were especially spoiled with dinner. Our favorites were the coconut crab, papaya soup and lobster! We tried many foods that I typically wouldn’t order from a restaurant menu but we trusted the chef’s recommendations and loved everything. We also enjoyed a few day excursions. Our favorite day excursion was the bourma falls hike – we went to the 3rd fall and swam in the water – it was definitely a hike but worth it! But most of all we enjoyed relaxing by the pool. We felt so spoiled -- the pool cabana has a service call button built into it. When you want an ice cold lemonade you just press the service call button and they will bring it right out. They have great pool floats and we could just spend hours enjoying the view and relaxing.

What sets Taveuni Palms apart is their customer service. On our last day, the Resort Manager, Sarah, was tracking our flights and informed us that our flight from Taveuni to Nadi was cancelled but she had already booked us on the flight later that afternoon. Later we were informed that our flight from Nadi to Los Angeles was cancelled but that Air Pacific had made arrangements for us in Nadi. Then our re-booked flight from Taveuni to Nadi was cancelled. (We had fabulous weather the entire trip but just on our last day Nadi seemed to have some trouble weather). We stayed the extra night at Taveuni Palms and thankfully got to delay our inevitable goodbye! Taveuni Palms was in constant contact with the airlines and even helped with rebooking our flight that we had missed from Los Angeles due to our cancelled Air Pacific flights. They really took great care of us the entire time. When you are in a foreign country without your cell phone or computer and have bumps in the road regarding an itinerary it can certainly be stressful however I was never once stressed out as Sarah and her team were very proactive regarding the situation. They even booked a day room for us in Nadi when we learned that when we finally were able to leave Taveuni we would have a long layover in Nadi. My husband and I kept on commenting how any other hotel would just leave us to figure it out ourselves. We really gave Sarah a workout as she was running between the office and our villa updating us on what was going on. When it finally was time to leave (24 hours past our scheduled departure) we said our goodbyes and sat in the heat at the airport. Just as we were talking about the uncomfortable heat and how we wish we could jump in our private pool or relax in our air conditioned room, up pulls Sarah with 2 ice cold bottles of water as she realized it was hot out and that we might like some water. Even after we had left they were still thinking trying to make our trip enjoyable!!

Kelly and Tony have really created a magical place. They found one of the most beautiful locations in the world and created a paradise with some of the most friendly and dedicated staff you will ever meet. Everybody we met truly went above and beyond to ensure we had the best vacation. I am still in awe of the level of service we received. Without hesitation I strongly recommend this paradise to anyone interested in a true luxury vacation.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Matangi Island
Qamea Resort And Spa Fiji
Qamea Resort And Spa Fiji
#1 of 1 in Qamea Island

Been to Taveuni Palms Resort? Share your experiences!