“Great Time at Garden Island Resort”

Garden Island Resort
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Taveuni Island
Reviewed March 13, 2012

This was our second destination and second week in Fiji. We arrived, via Nadi in a small plane, in the afternoon and were picked-up in a resort van. It was a little tight, but comfortable enough. After a 20 minute drive from the airport and a quick beer stop at the local grocery store, we were welcomed with song by a genuinely friendly staff. After filling out a short quest information form we were given information about meals and then shown our rooms. After settling the manager went over some basic information about amenities and the diving arrangements with all the new guests. All of the staff was very friendly; pretty much everyone called us by name by the second day. The rooms were clean and comfortable. There are places to visit on the beautifully lush island, and the staff is more than happy to make suggestions and assist with arrangements. The small band played music (very well) and had their kava every night. We enjoyed the local Fijian songs and well know songs played with the local style. The only thing that I can complain about, but just a little, is the fruit bats. They can be loud, but I found you quickly get used to the noise of their constant squabbling.
Breakfast was simple fruit, toast, cereal, oatmeal, muffins, and juice/coffee. Omelets and a few other items were available for a little extra. There were 3 choices for lunch and dinner, usually a fish, beef or chicken and vegetarian choice. I was able to get substitutions on occasions when my picky eating habits conflicted with the scheduled menu. The food was good and varied. The others told me the desserts were usually very good.
The diving was outstanding. Read up on what is available, make your request, but listen to the dive masters about when to do certain dives. The current can be a little heavy at times even for the more fit divers. Even though the dive boats are not large, we were never over crowed. One day we had 2 extra divers join our group of six, with one extra dive master. Every dive was great and a couple sites were spectacular. Again, listen to the dive masters; they know the area and will do everything they can to get you your dives.
I was able to get to know some of the wonderful people who work at the resort. We sat and talked about family work and general life topics. When I was sick one day, the staff checked on me several time throughout the day to see if there was anything I needed. I miss my new friends who work at the resort and I cannot wait to return and visit with them, and do more diving of course.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Tom C
CHI_Intl, Public Relations Manager at Garden Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2012

Thank you Tom for your great feedback. We're glad that you got to experience the amazing diving the Rainbow Reef has to offer as well as enjoy a taste of the local culture. Just let us know in advance of any special dietary requirements and our chef will be happy to cater for you. We look forward to having you back soon, and everyone will be ready to welcome you 'home'.

Reviewed March 4, 2012

I loved getting away at the Garden Island Resort in Taveuni. The Garden Island Resort shuttle was there waiting for me when I deplaned and were friendly and helpful. Once I arrived at the hotel, I was welcomed with the warmth and care of the staff. They went out of their way with special and welcoming greetings, but I will leave it at that, since I do not want to spoil it for those of you who will be spending their future vacations there. The hotel is very clean and well-maintained. The food is authentic and very good. The hotel staff works alongside their dive shop and tries to blend mealtimes and diving schedules...they really make an effort to be accommodating to their guests. The views are spectacular...all of the rooms have a beautiful ocean view...1/2 of the rooms have a spa for those romantic evenings...the music and customs of Taveuni are unique, pure, and heartfelt (as is their staffs' care of their guests). I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a memorable getaway for diving and for enjoying life.

Room Tip: All of the rooms have great views. The building is a long rectangle with a staircase on either end...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank emmdjm

Thank you for taking your time to review our hotel. We're glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. Whenever you need a place to 'getaway', we will always be your tropical home away from home so you're welcome to come back anytime.

Reviewed March 1, 2012

From the get go I was very impressed with the resort, especially the staff. They all knew me by name from the first time they greeted me. When you first arrive to the resort you are welcomed by all the staff with a traditional Fijian song.
The resort has a full kitchen, so you never have to worry about food if you just feel like relaxing at the resort, or you go out for a dive and you don’t want to think about getting food. The wait staff are very attentive and the food very fresh, especially considering how secluded the island is.
The rooms are set up right on ocean and each one has a view looking into the water. The room I got had a nice hot tub also with a sea view, nice for relaxing after a day diving. Each room has A/C and is very spacious. The décor is very modern and comfortable. I had a great night’s rest every night.
Hopefully if you visit Garden island resort you enjoying diving, because they have some of the best diving in world. After 14 dives in the area, the Garden Island Dive Team never once brought me to the same location.
I will definitely visit Fiji again and I will stay at Garden Island!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
CHI_Intl, Manager at Garden Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. Taveuni does have some amazing diving sites and we hope you and your family had an unforgettable experience. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed January 15, 2012

The dive sites are basically right off the water from Garden Island Resort. The experience is ABSOLUTELY amazing. It blew me away! A must for divers to visit some day. I even took my PADI course here with my brother, husband and a family friend. The instructor Tawake was amazing. He took great care of us and made the experience memorable. My husband and I can't stop talking about it.

Another memorable experience with mention is the staff at Garden Island. They all impressively know your name by the first time they see you. So it gives a nice personal touch to the vacation. There is also a sweet one eyed dog that is on the property that was rescued by Mark the manager. (I'm a dog lover)

Although there is a set menu option each day, they take special orders. For example if you ask for gluten free they have some options. Also, on a day I had a stomachache and requested something different from their menu and they accommodated me happily.

Sleep quality was good, as the bed was comfy. I liked the outdoor hot tub in our room and how we were able to go outside from either the front or back of of our rooms.

Room Tip: The downstairs units had access in both the front and back of their rooms to the outside. Very conve...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 31, 2011

I have stayed here a couple of times.. Once before the current owner. Has had a make over and some impovements.. but a bit too 'trendy' for my taste. But my room was good. Good comfortable beds etc. Staff were great.. very friendly and helpful.
But I was disapointed with the pool. I booked the place as I knew we could use the pool there. But the pool was green as they had run out of clorine. I was not informed of this prior to our arrival or even when we got there? It wasn't till we had a look at the pool that we found out...and was offered no opology or discount from anyone there...which I thought was very poor. The beach is not the best for swimming there esspecially for young children.. so my young daughter could not go for a swim at all.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 21, 2011

My husband and I recently stayed on Taveuni at a hotel different from the Garden Island Resort. Our room was not ready for check-in when we arrived and our hotel recommended we go to breakfast at Garden Island Resort. We ended up spending the entire morning there -- it was great to hang out by the pool, in the hammocks, and in the air conditioned lobby. For breakfast I had the banana pancakes...they were the best banana pancakes I have ever had!! While I cannot comment on the rooms since we did not stay longer than a few hours I can say that while we were there the staff treated us very well. We took a walk around the property...it is small but we enjoyed going in the garden and looking at all of the fresh fruit grown right there on property. The ocean views were incredible and it would be a treat to stay longer.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RobinAlvarez
CHI_Intl, Public Relations Manager at Garden Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2012

Thank you, we appreciate you taking the time to write such an encouraging review. We're glad you twerp able to take advantage of some of our world class amenities but it's a shame you weren't able to actually stay with us. If you ever find yourself returning to Taveuni, please consider us and we'll offer you a discount for being a return customer.
Again, thank you for the review and yes, the banana pancakes are quite delicious.

Reviewed December 8, 2011

I was a guest at the hotel from 3 -10 December 2011. The hotel is well located, close to the dive sites along the Somosomo Strait. I found the staff at the Resort and the dive crew, friendly, attentive and patient. My room was kept neat and tidy by Louisa and her housekeeping colleagues. My package covered three meals each day including cooked breakfast like omelettes, bacon or sausage. The a-la-carte dinner menu for selection was wide. I had a choice of traditional Fijian style dishes as well as western as well as Chinese styled dishes. I was able to rest well each day ready for diving the next morning on the king bed which was very comfortable. I enjoyed diving the Great White Wall and swam next to Mantra rays for the first time.The resort is quiet and I recommend it to all folks who enjoy diving and having a relaxing time and the hospitality of the Taveuni people.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Leslie417
CHI_Intl, Public Relations Manager at Garden Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2011

Thank you Leslie, we appreciate you taking the time to write such an encouraging review. We're glad you had such a great time with us, enjoying all of Taveuni's many dive sites.
Again, thank you and we hope to have you back with us soon