“A very special place”

Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Taveuni Island
California
“A very special place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2007

It is so distressing to read a negative review of Taveuni Island Resort, which I have known and loved for more than twenty years, that I feel compelled to offer another point of view and, I hope, a bit of perspective. I realize that everyone’s travel experience and expectations are different, and also that even the finest resorts encounter occasional difficulties. But I hate to think that a traveler’s complaint might bear negatively on what I believe most visitors will find to be the vacation of a lifetime.

Taveuni Island Resort (formerly Dive Taveuni) is one of the oldest and most distinguished on this extraordinarily beautiful island. Its owners, Do and Ric Cammick, came to Taveuni from New Zealand more than thirty years ago, ultimately transforming a stunning site overlooking the Somosomo strait into a world-class resort. Initially catering primarily to divers, it has expanded and upgraded its amenities and has been regularly cited by the most prestigious critics as one of the best in the South Pacific. In recent years, the resort has undertaken extensive renovations and added new bures and a spa. It is now more beautiful and well-appointed than ever.

The manager cited in one review as being less than accommodating to a honeymoon couple and their friends, has left the resort, which is now being overseen directly by Do and Ric Cammick who are in residence. Their staff, many of whom have been with them for decades, are superb, and I know that the highest standards are maintained in every area—from meals to housekeeping, concierge service to excursions. Above all, Taveuni Island Resort has a certain tone—a degree of warmth and hospitality that, I believe, derives in large part from the Cammicks’ long history on Taveuni and the close attachments they have formed with the local community and with their guests, many of whom (from all over the world) have been coming to the resort for years. My husband and I been fortunate enough not only to have stayed at Taveuni Island Resort but also to have been there to witness weddings, birthdays, and renewals of wedding vows. In our experience, the care and attention lavished on guests is unparalleled.

In short, I would strongly urge travelers to take advantage of this very special place.

• Liked — hospitality of owners / staff; comfort; spectacular setting
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
10 Thank CaliforniaLovefiji

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Suva
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2007

We had a glorious stay at Taveuni Island Resort for our honeymoon. It was the perfect setting for our romantic holiday. The views are spectacular, just stunning. The gardens are very well kept, I loved the large sweeping green lawns too. We were impressed with the meals, especially the soups, the watercress soup is to die for! Our room was lovely, clean, private and quite. All of the staff are friendly and polite, they made us feel very welcome and relaxed. We absolutely loved our stay and hope to return later this year, I'm looking forward to it already!!!

1 Thank Frances17
Sydney
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2007

We stayed at the resort for 7 days for our honeymoon along with another couple who was in our wedding party and had flown out from the States to meet up with us. We all were very disappointed with the level of service and quality of food considering the price you paid! The food here was cafe quality at best. The only thing they did well were the soups and breakfasts which were fantastic. The dinners were so bad, I literally went several nights where I skipped dinner and just had soup and bread which is unusual because I like food. I'm also a dessert fanatic but couldn't stomach the desserts they served for dinner. The quality was like going to a diner and having dessert! The presentation may be gourmet but the quality of the food is far from gourmet.

Although the bure and location were spectacular, our bure was not very clean. The sheets were never changed the entire time we were there even after we requested them to be changed! One day a goat was running lose on the property and poohed all over our verandah! We asked one of the staff to clean it up on our way out for the day but when we came back that night, it was so dark I almost stepped on the goat pooh because the staff never bothered to clean it up until the next day!

The manager Amy was usually around but whenever we asked her for something, she almost seemed put out like we were bothering her. She didn't even like us asking the staff for stuff. Amy treated us like little school kids asking for treats! And being that she was in charge of looking after us, she didn't know anything about the island. Probably because she spends most of her time in the infinity pool during work hours!

Okay the pool, as beautiful as it was, it definitely was not exclusive to the resort. One afternoon we came out excited about having the pool to ourselves since we were the only guest on the resort and found 2 people and their instructor in diving gear going for a lesson! When we asked Amy about it, she informed us that the pool is often rented out to neighboring places to use. So much for exclusivity. Anyone passing by can use the resort's ammenities such as the pool, restaurant, etc. This is on top of the owner's grandchild who was allowed to swim and play in the pool all the time even while guest were using it. And this is suppose to be an adult's resort??? It clearly advertises no children under the age of 12 but this must be an exception for the owners. If you're expecting privacy and a resort all to yourself, forget about it.

The resort advertises fresh baked cookies everyday. We went for days without any cookies and finally had to ask for them to restock ours. And when they were restocked, they weren't even fresh! And forget about anything else in the mini bar being restocked. The other couple who joined us on the resort had to practically beg for more cookies and then were treated like they had asked for a free handout!

Just to clarify, most of our bad service was from the manager, Amy. Although she always comes by to see how you are doing, she really doesn't want to help you and hopes that you don't ask for anything. Once I asked if I could have a fresh coconut and Amy's response was she didn't know if they could provide that given supplies are brought in from the mainland. But when I told her there are coconut trees all over the island and on the resort full of coconuts on them, she said she would look into it! When we asked the staff, they were very friendly and accomodating so we tried to direct all our request to the staff. However, service is a bit slow. Expect to wait at least 30 mins for a drink.

Amy was very keen to try and sell us extra activities to do on the island. Most were pretty nice except the sunset cruise that includes nibbles and drinks. Well, the drinks turned out to be the coconuts we had originally asked for and the nibbles, well, there were none unless you count the coconut meat that was in the coconut. And the boat...it was a little metal dingy barely big enough to fit all 5 of us in there! Not to mention the guy steering the boat got us all wet because he kept steering the boat in the opposing direction of the waves.

The entire place was not a complete lost though. It was still quite romantic and the diving was amazing! We went on 5 spectacular dives! And when we weren't diving, we snorkeled which was also beautiful. I found so many blue star fish!

The resort on the other hand is totally unprofessional and definitely not worth the money. How disappointed to have spent our honeymoon there:-(

• Liked — The Bure
  • Disliked — The service
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
12 Thank SummerNightsBreeze
TIREmployee, public relations manager at Taveuni Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 20, 2009
Before this review was posted Amy was terminated from the resort's employment.

Since then the resort has been Owner operated and nothing in the above article is an issue any longer.
Bay of Islands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2007

Kiwitrippers Bay of Islands New Zealand
We have just experienced the most wonderful 10 day holiday imaginable at Taveuni Island Resort Fiji (May June 2007)
Last year (2006) we opted for an extended return visit to Europe and the USA, as an alternative to our annual holiday in Fiji.
This year we decided to return to Fiji, and after browsing numerous websites Taveuni Island Resort seemed to offer what we were looking for :- Sun, Sea, Sandy beaches, relaxation or activity depending on the mood of the day, it all seemed to be there.
Still relatively inexperienced with computers and "online booking" I sent off an e-mail to TIR with fingers crossed (previous holidays booked with Travel Agents) to arrange reservations.
From their prompt response right thru to the emotional farewell song on our departure from the Resort the experience has been unbelievable.
Having been to Fiji previously we were well aware of the friendly outgoing nature of the Fijian peoples, but at TIR that friendliness was raised to another level, we were made to feel like members of an extremely happy extended family.
We were met at the Airport, welcomed at the Resort with fabulous fruit cocktails and traditional Fijian song, given a tour of the Resort "BREATHTAKING" , I cannot think of a more suitable superlative to describe how we felt.
Our bure 'Bala Bala' far exceeded our expectations (and we have experienced top accommodation world wide).
The outdoor shower (very private) was such a special treat we seldom used the indoor shower. For me the homemade cookies provided in the Bure were my weakness ( I have promised my wife I will work off the added 3kgs).
We had days when we relaxed by or in the wonderful infinity pool, or just lazed and read in our well appointed Bure.
The Lavena and Bouma Falls walks were well worth the effort. For myself the 'off Resort' highlight was diving the various sites on the Rainbow Reef, the most spectacular diving I have experienced, and also the hours spent Kayaking with my Wife meandering along the Island coastline.
My wife finds it difficult to single out the highlight for her ( she is still over the moon!!! ), was it the fabulous pool? the therapeutic massages? the great food? from her comments it would seem above all it was to be made to feel SO special.
I am reluctant to single out any member of the staff by name, each and every one made our holiday the most memorable yet!!
WE WILL RETURN.
To all the staff at TIR Vinaka Vaka Levu !!!
For fellow scuba divers I strongly recommend Tyrone Valentine and his dive crew (an independant dive operation). TIR can arrange bookings.

4 Thank RegularKiwitrippers
usa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2007

I just returned from the taveuni island resort 3 weeks ago and it was not a place that i would ever go back to. the cost to stay at taveuni island resort is outrageous - the food is terrible (menu very limited, 2 meal choices), our bure was not clean and there were dead bugs and ants all over. other than the location i do not know what i was paying for. pay an extra $200/night and stay at the taveuni palms resort a mile down the road. you are treated like a king/queen, the food is delicious and the menu is extensive and absolutely delicious, and the villas are huge and absolutely clean and beautiful, and there is so much more to do.

taveuni island resort claims to be all-inclusive, but this only includes the food and no drinks (including non-alcoholic). the bures, as i mentioned, are dingy and crawling with bugs ( i understand bugs are going to be everywhere but we stayed at 3 other resorts prior to our stay at taveuni and did not experience the same problems.)

overall, disappointing and not worth the money. the location was absolutely stunning and the is the only good thing i can say about this place.

• Stayed June 2007
15 Thank luv2travel83
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2007

As an earlier review has mentioned - The honeymoon is a strange holiday in so far as it is probably one of the most expensive you will have and one that you really want everything to be as perfect as possible. All in all Taveuni Island Resort did not let us down!

The resort itself is stunning, with an amazing cliff top location with spectacular views out over the sea. Anywhere that you can sit having breakfast whilst watching a pod of dolphins cruise past is pretty special. It has a very intimate feel due to there only being a small number of Bures. The bures are fantastic; Modern fused with traditional gives a very elegant feel to them and they are super comfy whther inside or out on your deck.

The staff are incredibly cheerful and helpful and really make you feel welcome. The food is something else...absolutely amazing so be prepared to come back feeling that you've put on a few extra kilos - 3 course for lunch and dinner everyday will do that to you.

One thing to be aware of is that this is not a beach holiday as such,
in that there are not the picture postcard white sandy beaches sloping gently into turqoise sea framed by palm trees. There are the palm trees and turqoise seas but the beach is not up to much. Being real beach people we honestly didn't miss it too much. This was probably because we did a lot of diving (Tyrone comes highly recommended if you want to dive) and the pool is so nice.

Another slight issue we had was the price of the activities/ excursions on offer. I don't regret doing any of them and would definitely recommend anyone to do them however I think the prices could be made a bit more realistic. I know that tourism is a fickle industry and you have to make your money anyway you can but this was one area could be reviewed.An example being that you pay over F$100 for a coastal walk which includes a packed lunch. Now we've already paid for lunch as all meals are included so basically you are paying over $100 for a 50 minute minibus ride - is gas really that expensive?

Anyway that is a minor gripe that shouldn't overshadow the positive experience that is a stay at this idyllic place.

• Liked — location
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Osmosis5
alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2007

Honeymoon expectations can be overwhelming when considering the cost spent on the trip. This is the one trip of our lifetime that we spared no expense.....although Taveuni is considered a 4 star I am so glad that we decided to stay there. The place was beautiful, I mean you cannot get views like this anywhere....every morning we ate breakfast over looking the ocean.....it was a spectacular sight. All the tables in the resort have the same view so no worries. There is not much of a beach to walk on, but the activities are extensive especially the Scuba diving. I never missed beach, not even once. My husband and I took a walk on the road next to the resort and witnessed real Fijian life...highly recommemded and very humbling. The resort had great food all times of the day and they accomadated private picnics and dinners. The staff was superb....I would go back for an anniversary as long as the management stays the same. If you are thinking about a 5 star.........this resort has everything and more at 4 star prices. We were absolutely delighted with service and price.

• Liked — scenery
  • Disliked — no beach
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
Qamea Resort And Spa Fiji
Qamea Resort And Spa Fiji
#1 of 1 in Qamea Island
Taveuni Palms Resort

Been to Taveuni Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!