“Bliss” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Taveuni Island
Canberra, Australia
“Bliss”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2009

I'm not a resort type person. I like adventure travel. I like to get out and about - my last trip was to the Chittagong Hilltracts in Bangladesh, hiking through minority visitors with a police escort to make sure I didn't get kidnapped. So why was I at Taveuni Island Resort?

Because it is simply one of the most beautiful places in the world. It is serene and relaxing, but with spectacular diving, rainforests, bird life and waterfalls. The resort was tasteful, the food simple but delicious, and it was just so much better than the package resort holidays. Sure, I wasn't Nicole Kidman and I couldn't rent the island - but I met great people, I saw a lovely couple from Russia renew their vows in a traditional Fijian ceremony, and I heard tall tales from the welcoming hosts.

I don't normally like to go anywhere twice - but I'll be back.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2009

I can't say enough about this pristine paradise! From the moment we arrived at the Taveuni Island Resort (TIR) we were greeted with love and impeccable service.

The room we stayed in was the honeymoon bure which was off the chart! It had two master suites, a huge living room, and a spectacular deck overlooking the ocean.

The resort is perfect for couples, friends, or single travelers looking for a quite retreat or a fun adventure. The resort offers everything including a stunning infinity pool overlooking the ocean, outdoor activities like scuba diving, snorkeling, kayaking, hiking, boating, deep sea fishing, and eating! All of my favorite activities!

And speaking of eating......the food is AWESOME! They serve three meals per day with nothing but the freshest ingredients all beautifully presented by the gorgeous and friendly TIR staff.

The owners of the resort, Do and Rick go out of their way to make sure that your stay at their resort is all that you hoped it would be and more! They are fantastic people and their love for Taveuni and the islanders they employ are felt by everyone who vacations on their shores.

If you love to scuba dive, Do will arrange everything with a local dive company. They are the most adorable couple and will make your experience one to remember. The coral reefs in Fiji are none like I've ever seen!

This resort including the amazing views, the fantastic food, the relaxing atmosphere, the serene beauty, and the loving staff makes this one place you won’t want to miss!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2009

After researching for countless hours and considering almost every tropical destination in the world, my husband and I choose to stay at Taveuni Island Resort (T.I.R) on our honeymoon. Given the time of year and our desire to do more than just sit on a beach, we felt like Fiji and Taveuni Island were a good match for our 7-day vacation. The Trip Advisor reviews were very insightful and helped us decide on Fiji for our honeymoon destination. There are a few negative comments on some of the bad reviews that we don’t feel accurately represent the resort or it’s owners. As such, this review is intended to give you our most honest and helpful review of Fiji, Taveuni and the resort.

(1) THE ISLAND: Taveuni offers the perfect combination in an exotic location, of unique experiences and time to just unwind away from “our real” world. It’s important to note that you will get some rainy days in Taveuni, even if you go during the dry season. That said, the rain is often short lived and welcomed as it helps to cool off the temperature. We actually went on the 3 hour Lavena Coastal walk on a rainy day. We hardly noticed the rain because we were under the cover of the rainforest most of the time. If you have a longer vacation, there are some other beautiful places to see in Fiji (The Mamanucas and Yasawa Islands). A visit to the other islands would make a lovely compliment to a 5-day stay in Taveuni.

(2) THE RESORT: Taveuni Island Resort is a beautiful, well-manicured, peaceful and friendly haven amongst the rugged setting of the “Garden Island of Fiji.” You have your choice of being very social with the other guests or keeping to yourselves in your private Bure. The food is fantastic and so fresh. I suppose that you could find meals that are more gourmet in another country, but for Fiji, TIR’s food is extravagant. It’s all natural and almost entirely local. If you are looking for prime rib and caviar, this isn’t your place. However, if you want to experience true Fijian cuisine and you enjoy fresh ingredients (especially fish), this is definitely your place. There was a comment about bad desserts, but generally speaking I thought the desserts were just fine. There is actually a shortage of well-trained pastry chefs in Fiji, so the fact that they’ve found someone to do the job is impressive. Shifting gears... The pool at the resort is quite relaxing and beautiful. I had a wonderful massage from Maria at the spa (she was AWESOME), but we didn’t try any of the other services. Yes, the resort is expensive. However, I’m 100% positive it costs less than similar accommodations in North America or Europe. I’ve stayed in rooms that cost as much or more per night and they don’t include meals. Again, I really think it’s a matter of perspective. You’re not in Beverly Hills, you’re in Fiji.

(3) THINGS TO DO: There are plenty of interesting activities to do on Taveuni. We recommend the Lavena Coastal Walk, Buoma Waterfalls, snorkeling and scuba (if that’s your thing), sea kayaking and sport fishing. We were lucky and our boat reeled in 10 fish on our outing. The owners and locals were quick to remind us that ten fish is rare and most guests only come back with a couple. I guess we had beginners luck! We also enjoyed mass (in Fijian) at the Catholic Mission and the group BBQ on Sunday at Koralevu Island. If you’re only going snorkeling once on your trip to Taveuni, then save it for the BBQ on Sunday. That said, if you were going to skip an activity, I would skip the Koralevu BBQ. We found it to be a little anti-climatic, but that’s just our opinion.

(4) THE STAFF & OWNERS: We found the staff and the owners to be absolutely wonderful. We spent most of our time guided by Sai and he was wonderful about answering questions and informing us about the local culture. I’m sure he’s told the same stories a thousand times and he probably made up some things, but we thought it was wonderful regardless! Maureen fed us glass after glass of wine in the evenings and we thoroughly enjoyed the Fijian music, laughs and kava with the guys after dinner. You’ll see a couple of negative comments about the owner. Simply put, they are good people. Do is kind of like a mother figure, focused on keeping her guests happy AND safe... And Rick... well, he’s Rick. He is a good man, with a hearty laugh. He’ll tell you what he’s thinking, even if it’s at your expense. That said, he’ll make sure you’re safe and well-fed. The airline canceled our flight to Nadi from Taveuni because of technical issues and we ended up missing our flight back to the U.S. After my running back to T.I.R to see if they’d take us back in for the night, Rick rushed up to the airport to pick up my husband who was waiting to figure out how we’d get home. Rick and Do treated us like family and they were so gracious to move things around to accommodate us even after most of the staff had gone home.

THE LAST WORD:
Like I’ve said before, you have to remember that you’re going to a country with a different culture and a different lifestyle. The Fijian people, TIR’s staff, Rick and Do, treated us as special guests, but also as family. In your visit to Fiji, you’ll certainly see things that are a little different than how we live in the U.S., but remember that they are a very self-sufficient and helpful people. If you put your faith in them, you’re sure to have a fabulous experience!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2009

We wanted to get away from it all, and we certainily did at Taveuni Island Resort. The resort is located in the "garden island" of Fiji, the least inhabited, so it truly felt like an escape. We had an oceanview bure which was quite spacious, and beautiful. There was an outdoor patio which was a great place to have our morning tea. The rooms were elegant and lovely. We were welcomed with champagne in our bure. The service is impeccable. Our guide Joe had a very adventurous streak, and led us skillfully through our adventures through Bouma Falls and the Western Island tour and the waterslides. We were driven to different historical sites by his brother Thomas, a jolly chap with an infectious laugh. His son, Pete, also skillfully drove us around giving us information about Fiji and the locals. One night we asked Joe if there were any places to see traditional Fijian dance. Joe invited us to the local village where we saw the locals give a performance to a passing tourist group. Afterwards, we were invited to their family festival, where we got a chance to try Kava. We felt very welcomed into their village and family event. It was great to meet their families. The Food at TIR was amazing! The chefs Suneel and Celia (sp?) were so skilled and made everything so flavorful. We had 3 course meals, and they were all delicious. I think we gained a few pounds after the trip. The lovely ladies who served us, Vika, Millie and Maureen, were so gracious; Sai has a great voice and serenaded us in the evenings, Aleck and Captain patiently guided us through our snorkeling adventure. In the evenings, we got to mingle with the other guests and owners, Do and Rick around the lounge/bar before dinner. It was very relaxing and fun to meet with others. Everything that one would expect from a 5 star resort, TIR had, but what stands out in our minds is the kindness and generosity of the people. The personalized care and attention to our needs are unsurpassed, and we would recommend TIR to anyone who wants to escape to an island adventure. We thank everyone who we met and those who worked behind the scenes to make our stay so memorable. Vinaka Vakalevu.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2009

From the moment we arrived at Taveuni Island Resort we were welcomed like family and treated like royalty. The owners, Do and Rick are two of the most genuine, friendly and kindest people you will ever have the pleasure of meeting and their staff are just the same. Nothing is ever too much trouble or hassle.
The bure we stayed in, the Veidomoni was huge; a large bedroom, 2 bathrooms and a lounge room which opened onto an expansive patio with a view that was truly out of this world- ocean as far as the eye could see. The view was definitely best enjoyed whilst using the outdoor shower which was shielded from the rest of the resort by lush tropical vegetation. Truly blissful.
We were spoilt with three delicious three course meals a day, home-made on the premises and some two months later I still wake dreaming of the yummy banana bread I had for breakfast.
We had a hard time dragging ourselves away from the sparkling wet-edge pool but managed to take in some of the stunning surroundings; the 3 waterfalls are definitely worth the hike- take a swim to cool off (oh, and you'll think you've walked onto the set of Lost), the natural water slide (leave it to the boys), the meridian line and the local shops were all a wonderful experience made all the better for the friendly tour-guides who felt more like good friends by the end.
With only 8 bures we felt like we had the place to ourselves even though it was almost completely booked for part of our visit. Taveuni Island resort manages to be completely luxurious whilst remaining true to its stunning natural environment and that is really what makes it a wonderful holiday experience.
I have to give a special mention to the gorgeous Lily for her friendly smile and superb service. I highly recommend a visit to the on-site spa. The couples treatment was amazing.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SydneyFlashpackers
Denver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2009

Taveuni Island Resort is a truly magnificent place to stay! The rooms are immaculate, the views are incredible, and the activities are plentiful! We had the vacation of our dreams. The staff were incredibly warm and helpful with every request. The food was very good, a wide variety of local dishes,traditional Fijian food, excellent Fish dishes, fresh fruit every morning for breakfast! And always, always served with a smile!

We loved the privacy and the stunning views from our bure. The outdoor shower is also amazing! And though we lucked out and had nearly perfect weather, it was nice to go into the air conditioned room after a day of hiking and swimming! I appreciated that convenience a lot.

The scuba diving was world class! The waterfall tour was one of the most beautiful sights I have ever seen. The entire experience was one that will be hard to top. And Taveuni Island Resort was such an amazing place to stay. We look forward to our NEXT trip!

• Liked — The Staff
Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank travelrite_9
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2009

I guess I will begin with the positives... Taveuni Island is paradise. It is still relatively untouched, with lush tropical forests, crystal clear waters, breathtaking waterfalls, deserted beaches and a peace and quiet that is not so easy to come by these days. The TIR is based on a great concept... a handful of beautiful bures that allow a great deal of privacy in an amazing location. And with a little more professionalism, this place would be PERFECT.

When you pay this much money for your stay, you expect immaculate service, and the service at TIR was anything but. This became obvious every day at breakfast/lunch/dinner when we got something other than what we ordered (repeatedly), when we waited ages for our food or our drinks, when we noticed that we were eating for lunch today what we had eaten for dinner yesterday (it had just been rearranged a bit), or when we ordered breakfast in bed at 9 and found ourselves eating breakfast in the restaurant at 9:45 because our room service never showed up.

This also became evident when we received a bottle of cheap sparkling wine as part of our “honeymoon package” instead of champagne, as we had been promised. Do they think we cannot tell the difference? Or when we tried unsuccessfully to find a decent red wine to accompany our steak at dinner. A resort of this level should offer superb wine and spirits, right?

Not to mention the absurd prices of the activities. If you leave the resort and get your own taxi, you can have the exact same activity for about ¼ of the price.

These are all small issues that reduce the level of professionalism and thus make you wonder whether you are getting your money’s worth. Apart from these things, however, we had a lovely stay and fell in love with Taveuni Island. It is definitely a great choice for a honeymoon.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank weltreiser81
#1 of 1 in Matangi Island
Qamea Resort And Spa Fiji
Qamea Resort And Spa Fiji
#1 of 1 in Qamea Island

Been to Taveuni Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!