“Great memories of special holidays”

Taveuni Island Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Taveuni Island
Waitakere, Auckland, New Zealand
“Great memories of special holidays”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We have wonderful memories of several very special "nurturing" holidays at the resort with its fabulous location, the spectacular scenery combined with the warmth & friendliness of the staff & owners, with a menu of many delicious local foods it is indeed worth going the extra distance - well done Do & Ric I think you must be classed as some of Fiji's national treasures! - We will be back!

Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Taveuni Island R, Owner at Taveuni Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Bula!

Thank you so much for you very kind comments about you honeymoon. We are so delighted you had a wonderful time. Taveuni Island is a paradise for nature lovers and people who want to experience the Fijian culture, we are so happy that you got to do all of these activities.

Thank you once again and we wish you well in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed December 20, 2012

I was expecting a large resort, but found it was a small scale resort on a large property. It had a slight bed and breakfast feel, but the bures are spread out on the property so that you have privacy and aren't in constant contact with other guests. The sunset views are spectacular. We stayed in the ocean front bure, and it was well appointed and very spacious. The owners and staff were very friendly and attentive, and arranged excursions at the last minute for us. I would definitely recommend that someone stay here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Travelur
Fiji
Reviewed December 3, 2012

We have stayed at many of the resorts in Fiji, over a long period of years. Our favorite is Taveuni Island Resort. I would put it right up there with the best resorts in Fiji, and it is definitely the best place to stay in the Taveuni Island area.
The owners have excellent taste, reflected in the design and the beauty of the surroundings. The rooms are luxuriously large, like having a second home in Fiji, and the view and grounds are great. The pool is our favorite anywhere, an infinity pool on the bluff with a great sunset view.
The way the resort is laid out, you have all the privacy you want and can have a peaceful and quiet stay. Or you can socialize in the open dining area and go hiking to the falls or diving or kayaking or whatever.
The food is famous on Taveuni island for being the island’s best. Every meal is done with care and I can’t remember a meal here that we didn’t send back all the plates completely clean, every bite gone.
The owners are people we enjoy spending time with each time we come, and the staff treats the guests like family, remembering your names and genuinely caring. We don’t go to the other options in Fiji anymore, this place is the best.

Room Tip: the rooms on the bluff have the best views
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank maikeli
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Sadly only a two night stop in this beautiful resort but just what the doctor ordered!!
Rick and Do were great hosts , the staff were first class and everything about our stay was memorable for all the right reasons.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I was initially apprehensive to stay at Taveuni Island Resort & Spa as I was too keen on staying at another similar property in Fiji Islands. But, the minute I entered this resort, it gave me a "special warmth". It is a Botique Luxury Resort and I am totally in awe of this resort's location. Everything from the views, accommodation, food and the marvelous diving options were amazing! The visit to the International Date Line, just a few minutes drive from this resort was a beautiful experience.
I sincerely thank our friends - Do, Rick, Matt, Loma and all the Taveuni Island staff for everything they did to make our stay the most comfortable and the most unforgettable experience! Can't wait to stay here with my family on my next visit to Fiji Islands!

Room Tip: All their 12 rooms have a spectacular view of the ocean!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Park City, Utah
Reviewed October 24, 2012

My husband and I stayed here this past October. The locals were super nice, food was fair and the view was excellent. We have been to Fiji several times and there are better options out there for the price. The owners seemed privileged and not very friendly to the local Fijian employees. We were told multiple times there was nothing to be afraid of near this resort and we saw 4 SEA SNAKES at the beach by the resort. We also heard the sea snakes were poisonous and dangerous but multiple times the owners told us not to worry about them... I would not return here mainly because any actually Fijian activities are NOT included in your stay and cost a ton! We will return to Fiji but not to this resort. We traveled around for several months and for the price this one was the one we were disappointed in the most.

Room Tip: I had a massage in the "spa". It was NOT a spa and a room where several people walked int...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank emilylc7
TIREmployee, Owner at Taveuni Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
I have written a response to this review as I feel it is necessary.

We chose Taveuni Island in Fiji to live and work when we were very young. We feel very privileged to live in such a beautiful part of the world with some of the most friendly and warm hearted people we have ever met. This is why we have stayed for 38 years and all our children and their children are here also. Our staff are part of our family. Some have worked for us since we came here and we are now into the third generation of their family. All their excitements and sorrows in their lives are shared with us. I have 7 grand children who have Fijian blood and everyone on the island is related. So yes, most of my staff and a lot of people here in Taveuni are related to us, and we love them all.

As for sea snakes - they have a very poisonous venom, but their mouths are too tiny to do any harm. If you were silly enough to stick your pinky down their throat, they may bite, but swimming in the ocean they are very docile and pose no danger to humans. There has never been a reported bite to anyone in Fiji.

We have been a dedicated dive resort for most of our 38 years here, and this year will be inducted into the Diving Hall of Fame. My husband has done thousand of hours diving just in this area, so our knowledge and advice to these snorkelers was not a random comment.
We wanted them to relax and enjoy the wonders of the ocean without being afraid. It has been our life, showing people this amazing underwater world and the beautiful colorful creatures which inhabit it. For many it is not available in their every day lives.

Cultural activities in the resort are free. We have a meke each week and if cooking or weaving classes are requested, our guides and chefs will do this. But the writer was only here for 3 or 4 nights and they did not request or have time to do these.

I am so sorry we could not give these guests the experience they hoped for. We are not perfect but every one of our staff & all our immediate family are dedicated to providing a rewarding experience to every person who spends time holidaying with us at Taveuni Island Resort, so we were all devastated to read this report and apologize.
Reviewed October 23, 2012

This was my first time to Fiji, and I relied heavily on Trip Advisor for recommendations and reassurance, so thought it only fair I returned the favour! I stayed 7 nights at TIR, and then a few nights over at Malolo to have a comparison, and the two were completely different experiences.
Taveuni Island Resort is one of those places you arrive and instantly relax in to - the people are friendly, with a family atmosphere that makes you instantly feel at home, the views expansive and calming, and the food is so unbelievably fresh, tasty and healthy, its like you accidentally stumbled in to a luxurious health retreat. Taveuni is an amazingly beautiful island of rainforests, waterfalls, small community villages, an abundance of fruit bearing plants and the occasional tied up animal, so whether it be activities at sea, in the local community or coastal walks / visits to the waterfalls, you won't be disappointed - what makes this island different to my experience on the western side, is that here tourism has fitted within the community with apparent minimal disruption - at Malolo, it felt more like what is clearly a naturally beautiful part of the South Pacific had sold itself to the wants and tastes of the western traveller, and the "Fiji-isms" seemed lost.

If you are looking for R&R, a healthy break, a bit of healing, or an escape to a pacific paradise that has retained a sense of the unspoiled, then you can't go wrong with TIR... my advice would be to go armed with books, a willingness to switch off from technology & tv, and be prepared to invest in the day trips / local activities (mostly additional cost), and check out ahead or early in your stay what might be going on at sea with the local dive companies - I found out too late about the possibility of swimming with the manta rays and couldn't quite swing it .. still getting over the lost opportunity :(

if you are travelling solo, might also be good to go at a busy time so you don't have to worry about missing out on the activities that need a minimum number before going ahead (most do).. and if you are worried about the flight on the small plane, what's going on in your head is far worse than the actual experience!

However, if you are looking for heaps of daily activities, walks on long beaches, swims up and down the coastline - and don't mind snorkelling over coral graveyards, eating from menus with burgers and curries, water that can't be drunk from the tap, and sharing your space with the families and the masses.. then West may be the direction for you... as this is not the Taveuni experience

For me, East is the direction I'll be heading back - and if they get that trekking track organised through the national park and all its waterfalls, I might just be bringing a few with me :)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
The Remote Resort - Fiji Islands
Matangi Private Island Resort
Matangi Private Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Matangi Island

Been to Taveuni Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!