“Terrible treatment from owner”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of TovuTovu Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Taveuni Island
TovuTovu Resort
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Taveuni Island
Tokyo
“Terrible treatment from owner”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2008

Tovu Tovu Resort overall is not bad for its price range but my stay was totally destroyed after the following experience:

I had booked to stay there for three nights, however the second day I decided to leave Taveuni and I told the owner that I will be staying only two nights. Because I had to check out very early in the morning I paid my bill the previous night and I got a receipt.

The next day I moved to another island but apparenltly the people of Tovu Tovu saw the van of the other resort that came to pick me up. So later in the day when I was already at the other island I received a call from some policeman in Taveuni blaming me that I had not paid Tovu Tovu and asking me to go back and settle my bill immediatelly (in a very bad tone). I told him that I paid and I had a receipt but he said that the receipt means nothing that I am a criminal and that if I will not pay he will come the day of my departure at the airport to arrest me!!!

I found the contact number of the head of the police in Taveuni and explained to him what happened and he said that he will take care of it. However I kept receiving calls from the other policeman (apparenlty a friend with the Tovu Tovu people) saying that they will come at the airport and arrest me.

On my departure day I went to the airport but thankfully nobody was there so eventually nothing happened. However these were my last days in Fiji and this incident destroyed my other than that beautiful experience.

So please be careful at this place.

Stayed December 2005
7 Thank Alxx

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2008

Just got back from a fantastic trip to Fiji, and while visiting Taveuni stayed at what has got to be the best kept secret on the island - Tovu Tovu Resort.

This family-owned piece of paradise is literally situated ten steps away from the ocean. The rooms (called bures) and grounds are very clean and well maintained and the bures are situated far apart to afford individual space and privacy. All the rooms have hot water and electricity and wire mesh gauze on the windows to keep the bugs and creepy crawlies out.

The restaurant and bar on the property is the best for miles, as evidenced by the fact that it’s the favorite local hangout. There are nightly kava sessions where the neighbors congregate and unwind after the daily grind, and where dinner guests from other resorts enjoying their meal. Tovu Tovu is the local English pub reinvented island style as everyone catches up on each other’s lives and trade jokes and laughs.

Also, I have to mention how self-sufficient the resort is. Natural resources and eco-tourism at its best as the majority of the fruits and vegetables are grown on the property and the bountiful ocean across the road keeps the kitchen in constant supply of seafood. Eggs and fallen coconuts are collected daily to make the most delicious omelets for breakfast and the coconut milk is used as “lolo” for dinner. For F$25, you can gorge yourself on the generous helpings of a sit-down dinner, and on Friday nights it buffet style as you are serenaded by local musicians. If you get a hankering for burgers and fries, (although why you would is beyond me considering the other delicious items on the menu) Tovu Tovu’s version will erase McDonalds from your memory. It was simply divine!

The owners of this little gem, Alan & Arieta will welcome you and treat you like family. Arieta is the chef extraordinaire while Alan is the jack of all trades: manager, barman, groundskeeper, tour guide and local historian. If you’re interested in diving, local legend Tyrone Valentine operates from Tovu Tovu, and knows all the best spots along the rainbow reef. With thousands of dives under this belt, this gent is the go to guy if you want to experience premier diving.

Tovu Tovu is rated as a budget hotel, but I reckon it’s under-valued as you get more than your money’s worth. If you're expecting the Ritz, don't bother coming, but if you want a spacious comfortable clean room, good food fantastic dinner conversation and company and the warmest friendliest hosts around , then this is the place for you.

Highly recommend to anyone.

• Liked — Everything!
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Clawdee
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2008

Quite simply the best option in Taveuni. I stayed here for 12 days in Sept and couldnt have asked for a more relaxed, friendly stay.

The bures are fab - basic but well equipped with en-suite, 24 hour electricity & hot water (something many other budget options dont offer.) Some of the bures also have cooking facilities and fridge. Not that you'll want to cook - the tovutovu restaurant serves the finest food in Fiji. You can go local or go for the delicious cheeseburger or sandwiches. Theres beer & wine and great company every evening with frequent kava sessions. Friday night is buffet night with a feast fit for a king for just $25 FJ with live local musicians playing til the early hours. Theres internet too for 15c per minute.

Theres an on-site dive shop with great packages (esp if you are also staying there) run by the infamous Tyrone Valentine, a local dive Oracle with over 15,000 dives to his name! With so many incredible dive sites on Rainbow Reef you'll be spoiled for choice.

The incredibly friendly staff are also able to help organise anything else that takes your fancy - rainforest hike, coastal walk, village tour, waterslides trip, church visit - you name it they'll arrange it. Its more like your extended family than a hotel.

You can pay cash or credit card and put everything on a tab and pay when you leave or settle up each night.. Either way you'll want for nothing (apart from afew more days to enjoy Taveuni!)

**TIP - make sure to call Tovutovu directly to check on availability & prices as you will probly be able to get a cheaper rate than booking through an agent.**

• Liked — Everything - but esp the People & the Fantastic Service
  • Disliked — The nearest sunbatheable beach is a good 25 minute walk away
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taveuni Island
Garden Island Resort
Garden Island Resort
#8 of 10 in Taveuni Island
Maravu Taveuni Lodge

Been to TovuTovu Resort? Share your experiences!