“Charming, peaceful, good value”
Review of TovuTovu Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Taveuni Island
TovuTovu Resort
Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Taveuni Island
Reviewed July 9, 2012

My sister and I were recommended this accommodation while looking for an affordable, available place to stay while we stayed on Taveuni for a few days. We ended up extending our stay another week, not too unhappy that other travel plans had fallen through. Weather was great, and Taveuni has a relaxed and friendly atmosphere.
Tovutovu resort is a charming place across from the water. I spent many mornings watching the sunrise either from the bure patio or the beach access across the road. It is located away from the businesses in Matei, but within easy walking distance of most of them...some small stores and a bakery. A bit of a longer walk, or a short taxi ride will bring you to Prince Charles beach which is a nice beach, though at high tide swimming in the bay in front of the resort is fine.
The bures were reasonably clean and well kept, though the screens have a few gaps if you are uncomfortable about mosquitos (we did not have a problem at the time we visited, but a mosquito net is handy to travel with). We did not have any ants or other critters. Our bure had a hotplate if we wanted to make coffee or tea, or heat up some soup, make breakfast, etc, and a small fridge. There are warm showers, and the water is of good quality. Wifi is pretty dependable. Staff was very pleasant, food was good and the Friday night buffet the highlight of the week. Alan and his family have a very good thing going on here, hope it stays the same because I am looking forward to returning and spending a longer period of time here.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed September 1, 2011

We had a delightful time at TovuTovu. Management is courteous, the place is clean, and the rates are economical. Food is good, with a great buffet on Fridays. It's close to the airport as well.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 499PattyJo
Reviewed January 23, 2011

To each their own, as they say. If you are looking for a prepackaged resort-like option you might be better off trying other parts of the island. However for two mid-budget travelers the place was great.

I stayed at Tovu Tovu with my brother for a total of three nights at a cost of roughly US $50 per night for the two of us. The bures, while not extravagant are exceptionally clean, and we always found them spotless after returning from a day of diving or checking out the natural wonders of Taveuni. While Alan, the owner and proprietor, was happy to recommend other restaurants on the island we found the best meals in the Tovu Tovu kitchen. Friendliness abounds on Taveuni, and Tovu Tovu was no exception.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 12, 2010

Good value, nice basic room, hot water and kitchenette.
I stayed one week and enjoyed it . A few days after I left, I realized I had forgotten a knife that was a gift and very special to me. They looked in the room and found the knife.
Honest people there make you feel welcome.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed October 18, 2009

Well, no-one was expecting 5*, but this was something else. Well as soon as we were shown into the bure by a lovely fijian lady, we knew we were in for a sleepless night. The floor was COVERED with ants absolutely everywhere! The staff however were very pleasant and I feel bad for leaving such a bad review.
Basic is an understatement, we were relieved to go Bibi's up the road the following night.
Taveuni however is amazing, just a shame there is no mid-range accommodation.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank greenrobert
Reviewed January 15, 2009

Stayed here for five days in January 2007 with my husband and three daughters. Had trouble making the booking by email as the proprietor, Alan, took over a month to answer my (many) emails. This complete indifference by management epitomised our stay. This place is three minutes from the airport, and Alan has a van, but there was no offer to pick us up, leaving us to the dishonest devices of a van driver who charged $25.00 for that three minute drive. We had two bure - one for us and one for the girls. Ours was basic but okay. The girls' was a dump. Ours had no hot water for the entire duration of our stay even though Alan promised to come over and fix it every day. The food was nice, if a little overpriced, but the small menu never changed and by the fifth day we were jaded with the same choices. At night the place is jumping with the locals from the nearby village who come to play pool on the pool table. I noticed that as one of only two guest parties we were totally ignored by Alan and certainly did not get any priority on the pool table which was the only entertainment in the whole of Matei. The sea is across the road, but there is no beach. We found very little to do most of the time and Alan was of absolutely no help in making any suggestions. The worst thing was that the local boys who crowded the place at night constantly preyed on our girls (the youngest of whom was 11) such that we had to be on our guard at all times and were worried to leave them in the bure by themselves at night. The stay was capped off with an attempt by Alan to charge us a higher rate than he had quoted at the time of booking. I would not even describe this place as "ordinary" as that is too complimentary. We were bowled over by the indifference of management. If Alan's lovely mother Maria had not been staying there at the time we would have had no local conversation at all. The bill was still several thousand dollars for the five days. My advice is, avoid this place if you can.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank kathryn62
Reviewed December 15, 2008

Tovu Tovu Resort overall is not bad for its price range but my stay was totally destroyed after the following experience:

I had booked to stay there for three nights, however the second day I decided to leave Taveuni and I told the owner that I will be staying only two nights. Because I had to check out very early in the morning I paid my bill the previous night and I got a receipt.

The next day I moved to another island but apparenltly the people of Tovu Tovu saw the van of the other resort that came to pick me up. So later in the day when I was already at the other island I received a call from some policeman in Taveuni blaming me that I had not paid Tovu Tovu and asking me to go back and settle my bill immediatelly (in a very bad tone). I told him that I paid and I had a receipt but he said that the receipt means nothing that I am a criminal and that if I will not pay he will come the day of my departure at the airport to arrest me!!!

I found the contact number of the head of the police in Taveuni and explained to him what happened and he said that he will take care of it. However I kept receiving calls from the other policeman (apparenlty a friend with the Tovu Tovu people) saying that they will come at the airport and arrest me.

On my departure day I went to the airport but thankfully nobody was there so eventually nothing happened. However these were my last days in Fiji and this incident destroyed my other than that beautiful experience.

So please be careful at this place.

Stayed: December 2005