“Had a great time”
Review of Avon Manor Inn

Avon Manor Inn
Avon Manor Inn
Reviewed August 14, 2007

The Avon Manor Inn was a great place for a short break. It is close to the beach and restaurants. An added plus was the passes to the Atlantic Health Club in Manasquan. This was the best exercise facility I have ever seen. My wife enjoyed the spa while I got a great work out. We would return to the Avon Manor Inn just for the use of this facility. The blueberry pancakes were excellent but you will need a trip to the Atlantic Health Club if you eat them all.

SF- Denville, NJ

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SAFDenville_NJ
There are newer reviews for Avon Manor Inn

Reviewed July 7, 2007

We were here the week of June 18th. For most of the week we had the inn to ourselves, which made it seem even more like home.
Kudos to JIM for his wonderful service, sense of humor and patience with our visiting family of small children that came and went. Including our use of the living room and large screen tv.
The close proximity to the beach was well worth the price of the room, besides an excellent excellent breakfast.!
I would agree with an earlier review that said the snacks were not fresh or replenished, that could be improved.
We plan to return next summer.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank bootsababy
Reviewed June 26, 2007

This inn was a REAL disappointment. Yes, it was located one block from the beach, and it had a wonderful verandah. After that, it was all downhill. I found our suite VERY uncomfortable, with nowhere to really sit down, and not even a lamp in the "livingroom", only a very bright overhead light. We had to bring in a lamp from the bedroom. Rooms were so teeny that in our party of 3 one of us had to sit on the flooor at all times as there was nowhere else in the livingroom to sit. The only decent room in the suite was the bathroom. The venetian blinds were filthy, the air conditioners were very very loud. The futon in the livingroom was SO cheap and uncomfortable that my poor cousin could hardly sleep. The ashtrays on the porch were never emptied, there were boxes that had been delivered that sat on the front porch for 3 days right in front of the entrance that were never taken in the house. In the dining area for snackers there were jars with a lonely pretzel or 2, a lone Oreo, and a few soggy animal crackers that were never refreshed. The carpets were dirty and everything had just a run-down look to it. The inn has upscale pretentions and we certainly paid top dollar, but the experience was not a wonderful one. I have stayed at many inns that were much better run, better furnished, and just more comforatble. I was surprised at this, because it had gotten such good reviews. I know that to be near the beach in season one has to pay and I don't mind doing that, but to pay $350 for such a shoddy place seemed to be taking advantage of the location and not really caring about the accomodations at all. I will never stay at this place again.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
18  Thank sarhop
Reviewed April 11, 2007

We stayed in the separate cottage that is on the grounds of the B&B. It was perfect for us because we are a family with a 5 and 2 year old. The cottage was wonderful, with 3 bedrooms upstairs and a full kitchen, living and family room downstairs, 2 bathrooms, one 3/4 upstairs and one full downstairs. When you stay in the cottage, you don't get use of the B&B, for example no breakfast, but we knew our kids couldn't handle a B&B that well, so it was perfect for us.

The cottage was comfortable, gave us plenty of room to spread out. We were mostly there to visit family, but I bet it's wonderful in the summer when it's beach weather. I can't speak for staying in the B&B itself, but I would definitely recommend the cottage.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank ArizonaCaryn
Reviewed August 5, 2006

From the first converstaion with the inn keeper we should've known this was not a service oriented place. His sarcasm and curt responses were not at all what we expected. Upon arrival in the heat of the summer none of the common areas of the Inn were air conditioned, internet service is a phone line as opposed to wireless and you are encouraged to stay off the line because it is not dedicated for internet use. The rooms are smalll and the down stairs "suite" with a Jaccuzzi too small for a couple is not worth the 275.00 fee! Go to the bed and breakfast next to the columns restaurant where they are too happy to accomodate you and provide A/C too all common areas!!!

Stayed: July 2006
4  Thank Cleosweb
Reviewed May 13, 2006

I travel to B&B and hotels fairly frequently, and I was, overall, disappointed with the accommodations. I am almost certain that the owner of this gorgeous house is cashing in on the location and drastically keeping down expenses by not upkeeping the house. The natural charm to the house is lost with the cluttered furnishings, tacky drapes and kitschy knickknacks. The porcelain bunnies, the icicles hanging off the chandelier, the dolls all over the hallways made me feel more than the owner had once tried to provide sentimentality and charm (in probably the 1970s from style of carpet and drapes), but he fell short, both in budget and taste. The signs (in the closet, which I opened because I thought it was a bathroom, stated, "Why would you be in here. Ask the innkeeper") were unwelcoming and unnecessary. Rather than buy a high end large coffee maker, the owner bought eight cheap coffee makers, which he put side by side by side by side, in the already cluttered dining area. I felt that I was in a waiting room for parent teacher night. When I leave NYC for the weekend, I at least want to feel comfortable. The pillows in the bedroom were downright uncomfortable, the bed lumpy and I secretly wondered if they wash the linens every time. I was a little horrified that they just kept the equivalent of a large bottle of "pert" in the shower for guests. I don't know what the last guest put in the shampoo! Provide separate bottles for gosh sake! On the upside, the inn keeper (I want to say jim? who was not the owner) was very pleasant and very informative. Overall, however, I guess I felt taken advantage of financially -- like the owner would laugh in his bed that suckers would spend close to 200 dollars a night to stay in his dumpy place. If I were booking accommodations, I would look elsewhere. I have to say, however, I do think that the location is amazing which is the only thing that saves my review from "terrible."

• Stayed: May 2006
8  Thank 2 Married Thirty Somethings
A TripAdvisor Member
Winchendon, MA
Reviewed March 9, 2006

My husband and I loved the visit to Avon Manor. The jacuzzi was great and relaxing.The room was beautiful. The breakfast was scrumptious. Great place to stay.

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled on business
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Avon by the Sea
Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel
#1 of 6 in Asbury Park
Hewitt Wellington
Hewitt Wellington
#1 of 7 in Spring Lake

Been to Avon Manor Inn? Share your experiences!