All reviewsfunky smellspring lakelocation is fantasticspacious porchbeach badgesenjoyed our stayother gueststhe cottagescolumnstowels
Reviewed May 13, 2006

I travel to B&B and hotels fairly frequently, and I was, overall, disappointed with the accommodations. I am almost certain that the owner of this gorgeous house is cashing in on the location and drastically keeping down expenses by not upkeeping the house. The natural charm to the house is lost with the cluttered furnishings, tacky drapes and kitschy knickknacks. The porcelain bunnies, the icicles hanging off the chandelier, the dolls all over the hallways made me feel more than the owner had once tried to provide sentimentality and charm (in probably the 1970s from style of carpet and drapes), but he fell short, both in budget and taste. The signs (in the closet, which I opened because I thought it was a bathroom, stated, "Why would you be in here. Ask the innkeeper") were unwelcoming and unnecessary. Rather than buy a high end large coffee maker, the owner bought eight cheap coffee makers, which he put side by side by side by side, in the already cluttered dining area. I felt that I was in a waiting room for parent teacher night. When I leave NYC for the weekend, I at least want to feel comfortable. The pillows in the bedroom were downright uncomfortable, the bed lumpy and I secretly wondered if they wash the linens every time. I was a little horrified that they just kept the equivalent of a large bottle of "pert" in the shower for guests. I don't know what the last guest put in the shampoo! Provide separate bottles for gosh sake! On the upside, the inn keeper (I want to say jim? who was not the owner) was very pleasant and very informative. Overall, however, I guess I felt taken advantage of financially -- like the owner would laugh in his bed that suckers would spend close to 200 dollars a night to stay in his dumpy place. If I were booking accommodations, I would look elsewhere. I have to say, however, I do think that the location is amazing which is the only thing that saves my review from "terrible."

• Stayed: May 2006
8  Thank Trail802671
Reviewed March 9, 2006

My husband and I loved the visit to Avon Manor. The jacuzzi was great and relaxing.The room was beautiful. The breakfast was scrumptious. Great place to stay.

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled on business
1  Thank Destination707
Reviewed October 7, 2005

We are B&B regulars so we've had great experiences and disasters. Our two night stay here was in no way a disaster but there were quite a few dissapointments and - at the rates charged - there's not much value here for the experience.

Plusses- The location is great! One block from the fabulous beach at Avon.
The room was clean and the bed was firm (we were in room #2). There is a fridge in room which is good for wine and dinner leftovers. And a small TV (we don't use them). The porch is great to sit on during the day.

Weaknesses (these items could be easily fixed and would raise the rating by at least two bullets) - The "Inkeeper" is "Always available" by calling him on the phone in living room. But very little presence during the day.

Breakfast is from 9am to 10:30 am. This is much too late. Also there is no coffee made before 9am when they take your order (and you eat about 20 minutes later). I did find that - if I asked - they would show me how to start a coffee pot earlier. There were 6-8 guests each night we were there yet they only used ONE of the 4 "Mr. Coffee" coffee pots and so for a big drinker like me, there was often a wait to have another pot brewed. Oh, and breakfast consists of juice and various omletts, pancakes or french toast. The portion was substantial. But there is no fresh fruit or even cereal for those who want it. (A container of Granola or a few boxes of dry cereal would have solved this.)

While they have tea bags and half and half available all the time - and a hot/cold water cooler, you can only get coffee in morning. And there were containers with oreos (only 3 or 4), Animal crackers (4 or 5) and Pretzels (3). Tese items are cheap and when the minimum room is about $200./night they could spring for a few more "treats".

I came to relax and read. The porch was great until sundown and then it was dark on the porch. The lights are on timers and when I asked when they went on, the single "staff person" said "when it gets dark". Well, they never went on. As with most B&Bs which are "Victorian" the lamps in the bedrooms are not conducive to reading. So, how about the large common living room? It has a large screen TV but it also has a stereo system which is always playing "new age" or "contemporary" music. So you can't watch TV with that on (and no place to turn it off). And reading is hard with this music going. While it is there for "atmosphere" - like many B&Bs - there is usually no one in these common spaces and guests should have the option of quiet. (I note this a lot in B&Bs and it's irksome.).

Reading the sign in book (which has place for name and address and how you found them, but no place for comments which most B&Bs have) I noted that nearly 90% of recent syas were by people from Northern NJ. And they found them through the internet.

We stayed using a Buy-on get one night free certificate but even then we only thought we got fair value. The other North Jersey Shore B&Bs are expensive also but - at the few others we stayed at - we felt more welcome and there were little extras (like afternoon snacks and wine to get guests together). They seem to get repeat business and mid week 3-4 of the 9 rooms were booked in October. So I guess they are doing okay. It just wasn't "special". Though Avon as a community and beach sure is!

Steve

• Stayed: October 2005
8  Thank SteveinPhilly
Reviewed October 28, 2004

We absolutely adore this B&B. We have been there twice at two different seasons and have been more than pleased both times. This B&B is one block from the beach, the rooms are clean and nicely decorated as well. I would highly recommend this B&B for those are looking for a nice getaway from it all!

1  Thank TheReeds