“New Name, New Menu but still Good”
Review of Cave Bistro

Cave Bistro
Reserve a Table
Sun, 7/21
8:00 PM
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Description: Welcome to Cave (Kah-vey) Bistro. Our gluten free, farm to table menu uses mainly organic produce and grass fed, grass finished pasture raised meats, poultry and fresh local and wild seafood. We offer a creative dishes made from scratch, using only the freshest ingredients available. Enjoy our top-notch, friendly service and satisfy your palate with innovative foods that you won’t find anywhere else. Join us for date night, lunch with your co-workers, or dinner out with friends and family. We’re all about fresh, delicious foods that taste great and will leave you feeling satisfied. At Cave, you won’t miss the bread basket. Our menu satisfies mostly everyone and is a respite for gluten sensitives and discerning foodies who care enough about the food that they eat to look and feel their best. Many who were self identified as reluctant to eat “healthy” have expressed their pleasant surprise after dining with us. We are proud of our reputation for serving delicious, clean food.
Reviewed April 16, 2019

This was our second visit to The Cave Bistro located in Avon by the Sea. The first time was over 2 years ago when they were known called The Cave and featured a paleo diet menu. Since then they have changed their name to The Cave Bistro, did some remodeling of the restaurant – mostly the exterior from what we saw - and expanded its menu beyond paleo. Despite the changes they still maintain a menu catering to gluten free, dairy free, vegan and healthy diners. The food is still as good as it was 2 years ago.

The restaurant offers a combined breakfast/lunch menu mid day and changes to a dinner menu in the evenings on Saturdays and weekdays – except Tuesdays when they are closed. Sundays they offer a Sunday Brunch and closed Sunday evenings. Open table reservations are only available for the The Cave Bistro but only during the dinner hours. There is no corn in the dishes on their menu. Substitution of items on their menu are not allowed. There is no children menu. Easy listening relaxing music is played at a low tone in the background which makes conversation at the tables easy. Our waitress was attentive, helpful and friendly.

The interior of the Cave Bistro has maintained its simple, laid back, rustic décor with swinging, screen doors at it main entrance, candle chandlers hanging from the ceiling, pictures with nautical themes hanging on the walls and Christmas lights hanging over head. Drinks like ice tea and water are served in mason jars.

Our most recent visit was for lunch with a party of five on a Saturday at about 1 PM. Street parking is available in the surrounding blocks and we diagonally parked on 5th Avenue next to the restaurant where there were a handful of open spots that day. We had two gluten free diners in our group – one adult and one child. To drink we ordered the hibiscus tea and Next level coffees. The hibiscus tea was more like a flavored water drink – not sweet at all - but it was healthy and refreshing. The New Level coffee – had butter and coconut oil in it – and it was very creamy. Not sweet, but nice with a mild, natural taste.

For our main course we orders the Cave man breakfast – consisting of bacon, eggs and sweet potato hash browns; Brisket wraps made from sliced brisket wrapped in brown rice tacos with a salad on the side (highly recommended by our waitress); and the Bison, Duck and Egg Burger which is a ground Bison burger was served with no bun and duck fat beneath a fried egg, salad on the side with a light dressing and sweet potato hash browns.

The gluten free adult ordered the Brisket wrap and was very impressed by the brown rice tacos they used. She was very pleased with her meal. It was a very good recommendation from the waitress. One adult ordered the Cave man breakfast and said it was delicious. For the gluten free child we ordered the Cave man breakfast with bacon and hash browns on the side since we were not sure she would eat the eggs. She ate all the bacon but not much else. I had the Bison, Duck and Egg Burger and it was delicious. They stacked the egg on top of the bison burger and the sweet potato hash browns beneath it.

For dessert the Cave offers home made gluten free dishes. Two of our party ordered the Almond butter brownies which were delicious. We only wish they offered a children menu or food substitutions for the children. We very much enjoyed our visit to the Cave and on the way up on Main Street we spotted the Macaroon Shop in Avon by the Sea – a bakery that sells gluten free macaroons and cakes. We had to stop in and check it out and buy some gluten free pastry on our way home.

Date of visit: April 2019

Reviewed March 29, 2019

Whenever we are in NJ, we make sure to visit Cave. As people with various food intolerances, this is one of the few restaurants we can enjoy without modifications. The staff is friendly and the food is consistently excellent - also, you're just a few blocks up from Bradley Beach, which is always a plus!

Date of visit: March 2019
Reviewed February 23, 2019 via mobile

My wife and I like to try places we haven’t been to before. Cave Bistro came up on open table and it looked interesting. The place is small. It’s clean and the staff is friendly. The menu is a bit eclectic. Lots of the dishes contain duck fat. My wife tried the beef short ribs and I went for the 20 oz. steak. I also tried the soup of the day which was tomato basil. They have no liquor license so no cocktails before dinner and no wine unless you BYOB. Service was prompt. The soup was tasty and served hot but not scalding. Water is served in Mason jars. There is no bread served with the meal. The steak was cooked rare as I like it and was a decent quality meat. The meat is all grass fed or free range. My wife’s short ribs were tasty but fatty. She trimmed the fat off then I gave her some of my steak out of pity. Me steak came with fries cooked in duck fat and coated with shredded Parmesan cheese.

The desert selection was okay, my wife had the brownie which was soft and chocolate, almost like a lava cake. I had the apple crisp which could have used a dollop of vanilla ice cream but was tasty. They don’t serve decaf coffee or cappuccino, so I opted for green tea with jasmine.

Not a bad evening but I doubt we’ll go back.

Date of visit: February 2019
Reviewed January 24, 2019 via mobile

We love it here! My friends had the zucchini Bolognese, big bowl loaded and just soooo good! I had the rib eye, chino chimichurri butter, sautéed spinach and Parmesean fries! Just heavenly! Service was right on and friendly! Spoke with the owner ... celebrating 5 years of greatness! So nice to have this local!

Date of visit: January 2019
Reviewed October 15, 2018 via mobile

We (my family and I) LOVE Cavé! We frequent as often as we can (it's an hour drive for us). Seriously worth every mile & every dollar. Clean REAL wholesome foods!

Date of visit: October 2018