“Brilliant holiday”

Strand Beach and Golf Resort Taba Heights
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Taba
“Brilliant holiday”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

I had such a good time! Was a very relaxing holiday but there was always entertainment in the evenings! Mayo who was an entertainer was very friendly he is an excellent worker! He is very sociable and he takes his time to get to know everyone. Also his dance is amazing and he will go far! Joe our holiday rep was very helpful with everything aswell! Getting to know everyone there and making sure we was all ok! I feel like i was looked after over there and everyone made my stay pleasant

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Jade1993
Martin B, General Manager at Strand Beach and Golf Resort Taba Heights, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Taba Heights, 07/08/2013

Thank you Jade for the wonderful feedback regarding your recent stay at the InterContinental Taba Heights. It was really our pleasure having you staying with us. We will share those positive comments with the team and we look forward to seeing you back to our hotel in the near future.

See you soon.

Martin - General Manager of InterContinental Taba Heights

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (363)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Trollheim, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

..The one he'd visited in Hurghada had a Dive shack on the beach.
OK - we will. We did.

Picked this newish resort, as it was less spoilt than Sharm and other resorts. Not disappointed either, we had a great holiday.

The Dive shop was a short walk along the beach, or around the golf course on the 'tac-tac'. The diving was good, and the boat or shore dives entertained. Don't forget your reef shoes.!!

The food was all good, and highly varied, with a great range and display of dishes. Some lunches were better than the previous nights dinners. Good spreads.
It was a pleasure for week 2 to see the return of the food items which had been enjoyable week 1. High standards kept up.

I never considered it 4* to queue up canteen style, can't agree with the last star. But great fayre. Only down side was the beach international restaurant, which was...disappointing.

Resort was tidy, and clean. The bell boys were stars, despite it being the month of Ramadan, they couldn't assist enough. info, times, directions, etc.
Rooms were airy, tidy, and clean. Ours overlooked the lagoon, and red sea.

The resort had many bars, and entertainments. With the village, other hotels, and the dive bar for variety. My favourite, the lagoon bar. Good views, relaxing, tranquil, and you never know who might drop in.
Worth a try. Less hustle than Sharm. All in one spot.

Room Tip: Be wary, it's a big site. Overlooking the pool is closest to everything. The lagoon is a bit fur...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Elias K, Manager at Strand Beach and Golf Resort Taba Heights, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Valued Guest.
It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the InterContinental Taba Heights Resort.
Thank you for reviewing your stay.
With best regards
Martin. General Manager
InterContinental Taba Heights Resort
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

Me and my boyfriend have just come back from Intercontinental Taba Heights.It was our first time in Egypt and we had a brilliant all inclusive week holiday that exceeded our expectations.

The beginning of July was a great time to go, the weather was of course Egypt style hot ( 35/40 degrees) the hotel was only half full so we never had any problems getting sunbeds or food and drink.

We arrived at the very small taba airport and had a great transfer with Thompson of about 35 minutes. We got there late so were starving and hoping to get into bed and asleep as quickly as possible. The hotel had kept open dinner for us which was great and check in was so easy. We got to the room which was a standard double and very spacious with a large bathroom and lovely balcony with comfy chairs. Bed was great, we were on the ground floor and it was sound proofed really well and we got a great nights sleep every night.

The hotel grounds are just gorgeous everything is kept so neat and tidy.

We spent most of our time lounging around the salt lake, this was a great alternative to the sea ( as great as the sea was, there is a lot of coral when you are walking in so you will 100% need sea shoes) then it doesn't go beyond your knee for a long time - but it is lovely for a float.

We didn't go on any day trips although there were lots available. There was more than enough to do in the hotel. The pools are great, cool you down and are large so enough room for everyone.

There was a lot of option for food. The restaurant for breakfast lunch and dinner provided lots of choices from pancakes and omelet for breakfast to pasta and meats in the evening. I would say that if you are there for longer than a week you should try out the other restaurants in the hotel which you get a free starter or dessert for then you pay for the main course. For lunch there is a poolside restaurants which you can get burger and chips, hot dogs etc which were great, and also means you don't have to get changed from your swim stuff to go to the main restaurant.

Drinks were great - I can't imagine how much we would have spent on drinks if we weren't all inclusive. It's great just to be able to get a bottle of water whenever you need. The selection of drinks was really good too, and the measures of alcohol were rather large so watch out! Cocktails were yummy too and there were options of non alcoholic.

The hotel staff were great. I had stupidly brought the wrong plug and after having a little strop about not being able to use the straighteners I asked at reception and they had one brought to the room straight away - so helpful.

ONE TIP I would say to men staying at this hotel.. bring a long pair of trousers! They do not let you into the restaurant in the evening without them, and if you don't, as my boyfriend found out you end up being given a pair of the lovely beige waiters trousers.. Not a good look.

Also we and pretty much everyone we spoke to ended up with a dodgy stomach at some point on the holiday from whatever it may have been ( probably the water) so instead of wasting your time with Immodium which does just not touch it, so straight to the pharmacy ( there is one in taba, which you can get the free tuk tuk and takes 10 mins) and explain to them, they will give you a little yellow tablet which is a LIFESAVER and gets rid of it in less that 24 hours.

The only thing I would say is be prepared for the long flight, we flew with Thompson. The flight is 5 hours and as we were told that is just below the time that they turn it into a long haul flight so you do not get a meal or in flight entertainment which did make it quite a long journey.

All in all a great holiday and the hotel was absoloutly beautiful, would recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: Garden view rooms are lovely and private.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hannahmitford_msn
Elias K, Manager at Strand Beach and Golf Resort Taba Heights, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive review. It is a pleasure to hear that both you and your brother enjoyed your holiday. We hope to see you again at InterContinental Taba Heights Resort.

Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

Intercontinental, what can I say... when I booked it was higher in the rankings than it is now - and I can understand why.

Another case of 5 star gone south. I can see that this hotel very likely was 5 star at some point, but truly, no more. The rooms, while comfortable, are dated and dirty. Don't get me wrong, the cleaning staff do a good "daily clean" but the curtains were stained, the stained rug had someone else's sticking plaster on it, furniture with cigarette burns, bathroom counters cracked and chipped - you get the idea... in need of some TLC.

In general the rooms were comfortable enough but once the hotel filled up, very very noisy. We were moved to a quiet corner and it was better but I needed to be VERY persistent to get moved.

The food was very good. Chef Gilbert was amazing, happy to help with our dietary restrictions. We ate lovely, fresh, local foods that tasted gorgeous. Fresh omelets to order each morning, fresh grilled meats and local salads, dips, mezze each afternoon and night... we couldn't enjoy the pastries, but they looked incredible!

The drinks, although ok, were hard to come by... the bars were always busy and service to tables was non-existent. Don't expect cold white or rosé wines though - unless you're happy for them to have ice cubes in them. After a chat with one of the bartenders at the main lobby bar, he seemed to keep some rosé in the fridge for me.

The entertainment was great! The team were always happy, smiling and upbeat. Evening entertainment - dancing, fire juggling, etc... even my "too cool" teen enjoyed it!

The beach is lovely and clean and I particularly appreciated the quiet area on the left as you face the sea. Make sure you take beach shoes though as going into the sea isn't easy barefoot! We walked down to the Sofitel and did quite a lot of snorkeling between their pier and the Hyatt's pier. AMAZING!!

Speaking of the Sofitel, we opted to use the "dine around" feature and had one of our evening meals there. It was beautiful, with an adult-only restaurant and barbeque. Very nice, well worth it.

Others have commented on the wifi - I wouldn't bother unless you have the patience of a saint, especially if someone is using Skype because nothing else will work... but then, on holiday, I really don't care so it's not a huge problem. I believe, however, that the Marriott Taba Heights has recently extended its wifi to all public area (including the beach) so perhaps the Intercontinental will follow suit.

The Russians... yes, they're troublesome, even the front desk staff were commenting on it one day. They're generally loud, crass and pushy. They'll think nothing of pushing in front of you, so go with a full stock of patience.

The staff are amazing... so welcoming. We found our corner in the restaurant and were served by the same person each day. Once he got to know us, we were treated to beautiful plates of fresh fruit, he knew our drinks, really excellent service.

All in all, it was a lovely holiday - but not the 5 star hotel I'd hoped for.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Michelle G
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Strand Beach and Golf Resort Taba Heights, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear Michelle G,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I’m very pleased to hear that you appreciated the great food that was served and hotel staff during your stay with us. We strive to exemplify comfortable and relaxing environments with all the amenities you need and more, and I am sorry this was not provided for you. We apologize for any inconvenienced caused by the condition of the property and noise challenges. Your comments have been taken very seriously and have been shared with the Management Team, in order to help us improve further the service that we have to offer.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

First of all, I m sorry for my english. I m not Brittish.
Me and my girlfriend stayed at this hotel for one week from 8th of July... and we wish we could have stayed one more week longer. We really enjoyed our holiday and I will recommend this hotel to everyone.
I have been in Egypt for 3 times.. So I prepared my self and my girlfriend. I knew, i can not drink watter from tap, No cold drinks , No ice in it.
Some people were complaining about food and some people got sick.. But these people I m talking about, I saw them drinking icy drinks ... When we landed and got to the bus , the tour guide , warned us , do not drink cold drinks with ice.
So we didnt have any problems with stomach and enjoyed every single day of our holiday..

When we came to the hotel , they gave us an invitation drinks and we got very nice and spacious sea view room.

Food was nice
Hotel staff really friendly
Pool area was nice and clean.
The hotel was 50% full so all public areas was not so crowded.
The beach : almost empty , a bit tricky to get into the sea, becouse of rocks.
I recommend to swim or snorkelling in front of Soffitel hotel. There u can find nice corals with a beautiful sea life.

We tried parasailing, which was great and we made trip to Izrael ( Dead sea, Jeruzalem and Betlehem) ...really worth it...

So big THANK TOU Intercontinental :) it was really wonderful holiday.

There was only one thing which we didnt like... the MONARCH airlines... Please do something with your planes. It was Boeing 757-200 , reg.. G- MONK... more then 25 years old...
The noisiest plane I have ever been on. The dirtiest plane I ve been on. All windows scratched , u can barely see in outside. No legroom... I flew with the Thomas Cook with the same type of plane and i really enjoyed... But this one is ready for scrapyard, to be honest...

Maros and Ivka

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Maros C
Elias K, Manager at Strand Beach and Golf Resort Taba Heights, responded to this review, July 20, 2013

essex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

A week in the Intercontinental Taba Heights. Good, clean, spacious rooms; wonderful pools; a herb garden and olive grove; access to a dive centre. Whilst the free lobby wifi is somewhat creaky (don't expect to link up too quickly on the free system) and the main restaurant can be a bit of a scrum (the French chef is adventurous - roast quail:whole roast lamb - but the presentation and delivery can be a bit hit and miss and lunches can seem bland) this is a fine hotel in which to chill out for a week. Oh, and Monarch managed to get us home on time and on the right day for a change for which I celebrate!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank westcliff

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 1 week from 8th July, just myself and my daughter and I have to say we had an absolutely fantastic time! We were given welcome drinks as soon as we arrived and were given a beautiful room, with an amazing sea view. The staff were absolutely wonderful throughout our stay, namely Farid a waiter in the main restaurant, and Mr. Abdullah, the manager who all worked over and beyond to cater for our needs. The hotel throughout was spotless, clean towels and linen changed every day. The staff made us feel like we were just at home, a very relaxing stay and hoping to go back there for Christmas.
There was a great variety of food which all tasted lovely, however do take Imodium with you as an upset stomach is likely. The hotel has fantastic facilities such as a spa, and beauty salon where we had a pedicure which left my feet feeling amazingly soft! I would recommend to those that want a relaxing holiday, rather than one full of tourists and shops as there is only a shuttle bus to "uptown" where there are a few shops, restaurants and a pharmacy. I will definitely be returning!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family