“Good value for a fly and flop”

Strand Beach and Golf Resort Taba Heights
Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Taba
Derby
“Good value for a fly and flop”
Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for a week in mid march and booked through an online agent on a late booking. It was the holiday we wanted - fantastic weather and a nice resort. We stayed in the atrium building which overlooked the lagoon bar and had sea views. Food: Buffet is always a bit hit and miss but generally the food was of a good standard. We did have a meal at the lagoon restaurant and bar which was good and went to the Sofitel for the Egyptian night which was a nice change. If you are there just to chill out and get some sun and read a few books we recommend getting a spot on the beach every day. The pool can get a bit noisy with kids (think we stayed over some Easter hols) but the beach was nice and quiet and normally had a nice breeze coming off the sea. Mo the beach waiter was always very attentive with supplying us with drinks too! All in all I would recommend this hotel for a break as a couple, a young family or a group of families. We would consider visiting again.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Your_dedicated_host, General Manager at Strand Beach and Golf Resort Taba Heights, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
Dear BenRo,
thank you for your recommendation and we are looking forward to your return!
We are glad to have met your taste spot on and that you had time to relax and enjoy the beauty of Taba Heights. Thank you for sharing your experience with others!
Best regards from the InterContinental Taba Heights Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (363)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Stayed here for a week during the Easter holidays in the UK, the location of the hotel was excellent- lovely beach (although do pick up some cheap sea shoes from one of the shops). There were some excellent staff- the manager of Le Mer and The Reef deserves a special mention, he couldn't do more for us when we had evening drinks and dinner there in the A la Carte restaurant- excellent by the way. The rooms were spacious, we had a great view over looking the lagoon and the cleaning was spotless all week.
On a less positive note I did not think the AI offering was as good as other places I have stayed- the restaurant was not big enough for all the guests and on one occassion had the door barred by staff with a queue of 50 people outside! The food was quite repetative- to be expected, but not as much variety as other 5* hotels I've stayed in. The drinks were waiter service only- which would have been ok if the waiters weren't so busy that it was half way through your main course before they arrived- and the service in the main bar leaves a lot to be desired.
Overall we had a good relaxing stay, but not at the 5* level I had been hoping for and that I have received in other world class resorts in Egypt.

Top tips:
Sit outdoors for breakfast- the waiters are lovely, and coffee re fills are frequent (just avoid the crows!)
The relaxation zone on the beach is lovely and peaceful
Take advantage of opportunity to dine, for free, in the AI restaurants at the other hotels- we went to the Marriott and it was lovely- if I went again I'd try the Hyatt and Sofitel as well
Stick to wine in the main bar- the free poured spirits are lethal- cocktails in the Reef bar are much better made!!
If you like fish, eat at Le Mer on a Thursday- you get to select you own catch and its grilled to perfection
Be warned that whatever you ask of reception they will say 'please come back tomorrow and we'll sort that- forward planning doesn't seem to be a strong point

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Your_dedicated_host, General Manager at Strand Beach and Golf Resort Taba Heights, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Dear Caz,
thank you for your balanced review. We have enjoyed the array of positive aspects you have experienced during your stay. Happy to see that we have managed to implement some improvements already and that we are on the right track with others (i.e. the spirits are to be changed as soon as the old line is available again in Egypt as of next week due to maintenance of their plant).
When the hotel is very busy, we prefer to seat people in the dining room to avoid confusion over taken and available tables and to improve service delivery. You will find that we only stop our guests in need times, not generally. We have received a lot of positive feedback on this, but will work on better communication.
We have discussed your feedback on handling with reception. When it comes to room moves, etc. there might also be slight delays due to availability, however this needs to be also communicated.
Overall a nice feedback for us and a good vacation for you.
Hope to see you back,
Strokestown, Ireland
Reviewed April 25, 2013

My son (aged 10) and myself came here for a weeks holiday over Easter. Having been fortunate to have travelled all over the world, I was not expecting a UK style 5 Star hotel.....however....I wasn't expecting it to be this bad either!

On arrival the check in process was fine, but we were not shown to our room or indeed given a clue where it was ! Given this is a large hotel covering 2 seperate building this was a pain ! However, 15 mins later we managed to find it.

The room itself was very dated, with scuffed and damaged furniture everywhere. The rug on the floor was also dirty. Not a great start....

We then found the airconditioning to be broken and the old and decrepid TV didn't receive any English chanels. Both were reported and fixed the same day.

As we were all inclusive we had breakfast/lunch/dinner in the large main restaurant area daily. First impressions are not bad, as there appears to be plenty of food which looks fresh and appertising. However, in was very busy and on our first visit for dinner we did not know the etiquette. We asked a waiter who was passing and were told just to take any available table. Having searched for a few minutes we found one...and things started to go wrong again.... The chairs were filthy, with food stains and crumbs from previous diners and the floor (carpet) was filthy with what looked like years of dirt and stains ! Hardly appropriate !

The service was also terrible ! We were just ignored by the waiters and could not get a drink. This ritual continued into day two with more and more frustration on my part. This was accentuated by the staff fawning over two Russian women over lunch whilst ignoring my son and I. The behaviour was appalling...with notes being exchanged and lipstick being applied by one woman, who then proceeded to kiss a napkin and pass it to one of the waiters!!!! UTTERLY APPALLING!!!

The food was fine...though the first dish I contemplated had a large black hair in it....

The following morning I got a hold of the Thomson rep and one of the hotel managers to discuss specifically the dire service that we were receiving...as frankly complaining about the filthy floors and aged rooms would be futile during the remains of our stay.

In fairness the two chaps were shocked by what we told them and we were asked to leave it with them. The result was that at lunchtime we were suddenly "on the radar" and we were getting served ! Happy days....you might think....

Well the following day my son and I came down with severe diarrhea.... This is the first time I have ever experienced this on ANY holiday. We were All Inclusive and only ate here. This was effectively the end of the holiday as we spent our final four days in our room....whilst leaving our room a couple of times a day to get water and bread...

We were barely fit to travel on the way back...and had to fill in some kind of incedent form with the Thomsons rep.....no idea if I'm due a response from them or not...

As for everything else...the beach is ok though quite rocky. The pools were nice with plenty of loungers...though I was amused with the creative license on the advertised temperatures of the pools....27-28 celcius they were certainly not ! This was noted by others that we spoke to also.

Overall....I cannot recommend this hotel and would never go back. This is the worst holiday I have ever had.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Matchu7
Dear Matchu,
it is not easy for us to reply to this review on a stay that started on the wrong foot and never seemed to get back on track for you. Without going into details and justifications we would like to sincerely apologize for not meeting your expectations and taste of holiday. A holiday with us is usually considered relaxing and worry-free. We obviously did not meet our own goal and remain with best wishes and the assurance to discuss your feedback in depth internally.
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 24, 2013

THE MOST HONEST REVIEW YOU WILL EVER READ
If you are looking for good food,polite service and good company with clean rooms. Then LOOK ELSEWHERE. Shocking place. We have travelled most of the world and are not over fussy people. This is the first bad review we have ever left. As soon as you arrive you are tagged with a band. The food is on for a day or two, but after that its all the same. VERY DIRTY HOTEL. Staff are only helpful if you are tipping them well REMON at the main reception is probably the rudest of them all. U read reviews that this place is quite nice. Either those people are blind. Or too drunk to realise what an appalling place this is. Most people book to come here on various holiday websites because it is cheap. THERE IS A REASON FOR THIS
I spoke to many people whom became friends. And about 70% agreed with me. In closing PLEASE THINK TWICE BEFORE YOU BOOK TO COME HERE.

• Stayed April 2013
6 Thank Kolton K
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Strand Beach and Golf Resort Taba Heights, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear koltonliveband,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding customer service, food selection and cleanliness which was unacceptable. We will address these point. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Prestatyn, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Stayed at the Intercontinental for 1 week all inclusive with Thomson. Four of us booked two rooms, ages 48,46 & 18,18, (March 19th - 26th 2013). Rooms were spacious and cleaned every day to an excellent standard. Great views of Saudi Arabia and Jordan in the distance over the Gulf of Aqaba, especially at night when lit up. Due to the arched shape of the hotel, we did not get any sunshine on our balconys, (rooms 1314 & 1315), but having said that, the sun shone everyday with a daily average temp' of 28 - 32 degrees Celcius,dipping to 10 - 14 in the evening. This is certainly a place to chill out and relax, especially around the swimming pools, which get the full sun for most of the day. Salt water Lagoon looked inviting but never went in. Private beach is sandy and always found a lounger with parasol, very stoney at the waters edge (water shoes a good idea)!. All the staff work really hard to deliver a good service in a difficult environment,meaning (location)!. All inclusive food was ok but not brilliant (so-so), the same food served in different guises. You will not starve....there is a snack bar called El Mar which serves burgers, hotdogs, fries, pizza..etc, included with Thomson and next to the beach. Evening Entertainment was frankly awful, but of course this depends on taste,think Benidorm and your there....The majority seem to be tucked up by midnight, looking forward to the next day of sun and relaxation. A special mention goes to Ahmed in the lobby bar, Youssef (Entertainment Team, excellent chess player), and you Mr Chris Jung (GM), Thank you very much. Andy......

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Your_dedicated_host, General Manager at Strand Beach and Golf Resort Taba Heights, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Hey Zoe!
Thank you very much for your review! Glad you have enjoyed your time with us. We shall be in close contact with our entertainment provider to further make changes to our evening program. Bear with us a little as it is never easy to cater for all tastes and nations at the same time. We shall however continue trying!
Hope to see you return soon,
London
Reviewed April 19, 2013

A handful of VERY VERY good staff made our holiday AGAIN.”

Our return for the 2nd time in 2 years to the Intercontinental was mostly brilliant. Upon arrival we were speedily checked in and given our preferred room 1510. The staff on front desk in general were excellent. No problems at all there aprt fron dodgy intermittent WIFI (not the hotel's fault methinks)

The entertainment in the evening was poor. One prime example was when a man who very closely resembled Omid Jialli the Iranian comedian started his singing with "I just called to say I love you". This "performance" degenerated into the most embarassingly excruciatingly painful thing (and the funniest) I have EVER seen. Myself and my partner were in hysterics when the Russians started getting up on to stage to do their "dancing" and miming (very poorly) to the words to various songs in at least 4 different languages. OK so, 10/10 for comedy value but I'm very sure it wasn't supposed to be a comedy show.

The food. NOT befitting a 4 or 5 star hotel. 3 star at the very best. Very samey. The beef Oyster was tough and not good at all. The scrum we encountered most evenings in the main restaurant was apalling. The main instigators being the rude, sour faced Russians and the ruder Palestinians with their out of control and very numerous offspring throwing food, clambering on tables, running riot around waiters carrying hot food or drinks. Dangerous, inconsiderate and impolite, downright obnoxious behaviour. The hotel management needs to look at the behaviour, quality of it's guests before trying to implement a long trouser dinner dress code policy to "suit the Intercontinetal Hotels Group "IMAGE". (I quote the hotel manager here). Surely the comfort of the hotel's guests is far more important than the hotel's so called "Image". To press home how poorly the hotel management treated us, I was confronted at my table in front of my young family and many other hotel guests by the Hotel Food & Bevarage Manager (a female) for wearing tailored linen shorts one night (it was a very very warm night where to wear long trousers would be tantamount to insanity).

Enough about the hotel management. Let's get on to the good bits...; - )

The pool Life Guards. Abdul Shahat, Mohammed (Elephant) and Mido. A more fantastic bunch of men you could not wish to meet. Lovely guys. Attentive and they were all brilliant with my little 4 years old son. He loved them and they quite obviously loved him. We'll miss you all guys and I hope the hotel management reward you grandly for your sterling work and your attitudes. True gentlemen to a man.

La Vacca entertainment company: Mody, Mido and the brilliant Dale. Well, nothing more to say apart from we love you guys. You and the pool boys and some of the waiters like Mahmoud, Barakat et al ARE THE reason we will come back to this hotel.

Location....Fantastic for views of the Red Sea and the Sinai. The beach is lovely although I think a Caterpillar Bulldozer (or similar) for raking the stones from the sand every day might be a good idea to keep the beach in tip top shape.

Our room....Lovely, large and very clean. The cleaner was rewarded accordingly for his care and good work although we hardly ever saw him.

All in all good. The hotel needs to do better with it's quality of guests as I have alluded to. I'm quite sure the Palestinians must get a much cheaper rate than us British or Western customers and it shows...

So, Dale, Mido, Mody, Barakat (waiter), Mahmoud (waiter), Mohammed (pool), Mido (pool), Abdul Shaahat (pool) a very very big thankyou......and we really do hope to see you all again.

I just hope the hotel management comes to it's senses with regards to it's inconsistent dinner dress code policies, it's subsequent poor treatment of guests like me and my family and it's choice of preferred guests (namely the Russians and the Palestinians).....If that's ever the case, you will see more polite, friendly British and Westerners coming back to see you. Far far better for the ICG Hotels group image methinks.
Stayed April 2013

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank lee_marks
Hi Lee,
thank you for your review and commitment to return to your favorite hotel in Taba Heights! We shall be keeping the highs and continue working on the lows to make it to a 5star rating on your next review! We shall also pass on your comments to the team members mentioned... We do cater for all nationalities and appreciate that sometimes customs might differ. Usually it is a very harmonic "together". An evening dresscode in the restaurant has been introduced and reinforced after strong demand from our European guests. General feedback is great and we hope to get the understanding from all our guests now and in the future and to help us a little on their well deserved vacation.
See you soon and with best regard from the InterContinental Taba Heights Resort Team
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Main restaurant (all inclusive): The food was not varied enough for an all-inclusive in my experience. It very difficult to determine what was in the food and often food was not labelled especially salads. A complete nightmare for vegetarians. It was not an all-inclusive for food, only for drinks, and more of a full board option for food with ridged set meal times. Ice cream was only available for 1hr from 4-5pm. On a few occasions it was very difficult to find a table, this was emphasised by the fact that entire sections would be closed off. The dining chairs and carpets in the restaurant are absolutely filthy and heavily stained. Other than not fitting in with the appearance of a 5* establishment I hate to think how many germs are on there. The final point on the restaurant would be that 25% of the cutlery was not clean, this should never be the case in any restaurant let alone at 5* intercontinental hotel

Staff: The front desk staff and housekeeping staff are the only members of the staffing team that I would generally consider polite and helpful. In general with the staff, if you didn’t tip you got poor service. The restaurant staff they seemed extremely over worked and stressed therefore giving poor service most of the time. Most of the pool staff would only be helpful or friendly if you gave them a decent tip. We did not get offered any drinks at our sun loungers even though we see others at their loungers being offered drinks quite regularly throughout the day. We would also not get any help with our towels at the pool and often had to ask staff several times to open up the umbrellas. Very poor service indeed.

One thing that really spoilt my holiday was a continuous pestering by the beauty salon staff at the pool area, on the beach and also at the lake. They came over several times of day to ‘bully us’ into booking a treatment saying we ‘needed it’. When I eventually caved in and went for a manicure it was not as expected from a 5* hotel. I have to say the salon was like a backstreet shop, full of flies and not well decorated. All the staff were male and the equipment used was not sterilised prior to use, hence a health and safety hazard. I also had to ask for the hand massage, which was part of the manicure, as they ‘forgot’ about it. And to top all of this off the charges are similar to UK prices, £25-£70 which is a lot of money in Egypt for a very poor standard facility and service.

As for the spa the staff were unhelpful and unenthusiastic. The treatments on offer did look good, however when I asked to see the treatment rooms I discovered that the showers were in the communal areas or in the changing areas. So if a shower was required in between a treatment (such as a scrub) you would have to leave the treatment rooms to shower in the swimming pool area where both males and females would be using the facility. I was extremely uncomfortable with this set up and therefore could not book a treatment.

The children’s club was a very small circle of rooms which was very unappealing to my children and therefore not used. In addition to this the mini-golf facility was chargeable in US dollars per person.

Very poor wi-fi access throughout our stay. It was unavailable for most of our stay approx. 5 days

Overall, a very negative experience and this is also the view we got from other visitors at this resort. We would most definitely not be returning to this establishment.

Room Tip: The room in general were good. We had a pool/sea facing room which had a good view and the convenie...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
9 Thank SCCSC
Good Day from Taba Heights!

You will have received this email from us this morning in reply to your feedback via other media and as an answer to a "concise" 3 page narrative similar to your TripAdvisor post, answering our inquiry for a 2/10 InterContinental survey.

It is indeed sad to see you leave as such an unhappy customer, we are however really happy that you at least were able to relocate your Earring in your room after thinking out loud about theft on the evening before the re-discovery...
Our apologies, but the internet outage was an Egyptian wide problem due to an attempted sabotage act off the Alexandria coast.

Unfortunately you omitted the positive feedback from our exchange as ...We arrived at 11pm so once we had checked in at about 11.20pm we were told that there were some sandwiches prepared, which was greatly appreciated... or ... I would like to particularly mention L.Hamdy on front desk and Mohammed from housekeeping. Both were extremely friendly and helpful... or ... We then decided to move to the sun loungers at the salt lake near the lagoon restaurant where the lifeguard was extremely helpful even without needing to tip. I must mention Sherrif at the pool bar who was always busy but still managed to give good service ... or ... I realise that this salon was an independent company which was not part of the intercontinental hotel...

Also the facilitation of the late checkout (the only one of all rooms as we appreciate you were travelling with small children) was taken out from your posting here.

We are certain that readers will be able to make a balanced judgement with 20 reviews from the same period, none of them below 4 or 5 points. The readers will surely also be able to distinguish between hotel responsibilities and others outside our control.

As stated ... thank you for your patience and for giving me the opportunity to not only investigate but also speak to the key members of the teams mentioned in your summary.

I have also spoken to our partners on Tour Operator side, who are responsible for the booking and communication of set-ups, the all-inclusive formula including service times, extras & else and to the Owner of the beauty salon, who is a concessionaire.
It goes without saying that we are "the face" of your vacation and are most interested in a great and seamless service experience in all areas of your experience... even if not directly responsible. I know them as very guest and service oriented partners and I am certain they will be taking your lines as serious as we are.

Our F&B team together with the Housekeeping team have been sharing your comments with their respective teams in order to provide great service to all guests. In regards to your vegetarian diet I can recommend to bring this to the Chefs attention. We are very happy to provide any sort of special arrangements from Gluten free to Vegan....
Areas in the restaurant were closed off as the carpet was being treated and I apologize for the inconvenience, however the difference in local eating culture makes those steps necessary from time to time.

I am sorry to learn that the Kids Club did not meet your children s taste. Let me know what you would desire as a valid feedback and input for our regular reviews of the facilities together with our team and the owning company. We want to move forward and guest feedback is essential to this.

In busy times late check outs might not be possible and are subject to availability. We will work on a better communication line to our guests to get their understanding that it might well be not possible to extend the room as new guests are already waiting for it. If this request if put forward by the guest however, you got my absolute agreement that we should be proactive in our information.

It goes without saying that tips are to reward good service, not to actually get it in the first place, but I am delighted to pass on your praise to the individual you had mentioned in the Bar, the Lagoon and in your room. I also like to thank you for the differentiated rating in your HeartBeat questionnaire. F&B is certainly in our focus.

With best wishes for the upcoming weekend and I sincerely hope that this experience has not been putting you of any other InterContinental Hotel you might consider...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taba
Taba Hotel and Nelson Village
U Suites Eilat
U Suites Eilat
#10 of 62 in Eilat
Movenpick Resort Taba Hotel

Been to Strand Beach and Golf Resort Taba Heights? Share your experiences!