“Excellent resort for relaxing .. Great base”

Sofitel Taba Heights
Ranked #4 of 22 Hotels in Taba
Gravesend, United Kingdom
“Excellent resort for relaxing .. Great base”
Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

Have just returned from a great stay at the Sofitel. We chose Taba as a base to be able to explore Sinai, Jordan and Israel.. We mainly chose the Sofitel on the reviews we had read.. And it was an excellent choice. It would be wrong to single out one or two members of staff.. All the staff were extremely helpful, immediately at hand to fix a couple of initial hiccups with the room including an upgrade. The staff are a credit to the Sofitel chain, easy to approach and we're extremely hospitable.

The resort itself is one of the better ones I have stayed at with excellent views of the mountains and the sea.. You are able to see Jordan, Eilat and Saudi. It makes a great place to explore... We went to Petra and Israel.

Occupancy varied with the resort becoming busier as the weekend approached.. Making the place lively but not over crowded there are awaits sun loungers, space at the pool etc.. It was good to see a real international mix to the resort.

Our room itself was large and spacious with an ocean view, after an initial hiccup with the shower, which the staff we're very helpful in trying to fix straightaway we were eventually upgraded to a different room.

The resort itself has lots on offer from the usual pools etc, to having a private beach.. So plenty to choose from when relaxing or just heading into the sea to see some of the marine life.

We went all-inclusive, something I would recommend, the food would suit all pallets and we didn't have a single issue and was for a buffet in the main restaurant very good quality.

Taba, is a great place to be even without a direct flight from the UK we flew into Sharm El Sheik, it was well worth the drive to Taba. The area is very safe and secure and I would highly recommend it, you are a long way away from an issues you hear about Egypt on the news.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Lak P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (664)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Rochester, Kent
Reviewed November 9, 2013

My friend and I stayed here in October, I have been to Egypt once before which wasn't a good experience but as this was a 5* hotel and after reading the ratings we thought this would be ok. Hotel very large and exceptionally clean and hotel staff seemed pleasant at the start. Resort was exceptionally quite but we knew we were the last group of English flying to Taba with Thompson as they have pulled out of Taba now.

The room was nice and spacious with 2 double beds but the lighting is terrible both in the main bedroom and the bathroom,which makes it difficult when you are trying to do your make-up or even read. Even in the public areas the lighting is bad and at 11.30pm every evening the lights would go off in the main lobby!!

Plenty of sunbeds around the pools and on the beach and the location is stunning, The sun goes down at around 4pm and as you are surrounded by mountains it feels like someone switches the light off so you need to make the most of the sun. The only time it got a bit busy was when the Muslims arrived from Jordan and it was weird to see women in the pools and the sea dressed in all their full Muslim garments next to Western woman in barely anything! Most of them were also extremely rude and loud and you certainly noticed it when they were there.

Being a predominantly Muslim country all the staff bar one were men and the main problem we had was feeling harassed by some members of staff being two women on our own. We had this before when we travelled to Morocco but at times I felt very uncomfortable. One guy got really annoyed with us because we made it quite clear we weren't interested but you have to be careful or it seems some take politeness for an open invitation! The guy from the beauty salon is also extremely irritating and will sit down on your sunbed without invitation. I did have a manicure in the end to get rid of him but this is not part of the hotel and is opposite the hotel spa. Although it was ok it felt like a small back street establishment mainly staffed by men and prices were high. I wouldn't come here again unless I was with my partner as couples were not harassed at all.

Having said all that some staff were genuinely nice and the restaurant manager offered to arrange for the the doctor to see me when he found out I had been ill.

The food was varied and would suit most palettes but I was ill on the third day and so were all the other English people we spoke to with some also being ill again on the flight home. Beware of the cocktails as these are heavily watered down and most taste like milkshakes. Also you couldn't get any drinks after 11pm and the entertainment is appalling so be prepared to have lots of early nights as there is really nothing to do after 11pm. Me and my friend watched two chick flicks for two evenings on telly when we were bored but I wasn't expecting to even switch on the telly on holiday!

If you are looking for an internet connection this is only achievable in the reception area with a code and as the reception is quite a small area we had to trudge up the reception every day if you wanted to email or skype which seemed unusual for a 5* hotel.

Taba I fear will die if more tourists don't come here as really it is just a group of hotels but these are all suffering with the lack of tourists and with Thompson pulling out I wonder how long they will survive.

Although the holiday was ok I wouldn't return and have had an upset stomach since I came back which has put me off of Egypt all together.

Overall not a holiday I would remember for the right reasons.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
8 Thank sharn15
UK
Reviewed November 7, 2013

I have stayed at Sofitel Taba Heights on 2 occasions - the first time I stayed over the New Year period and then returned again in April 2013 . This hotel has many positives if you want a relaxing holiday. I personally do not like resorts such as Sharm so it suited me staying in a quiet hotel based resort. But if you do like more action it may not be for you as there is nowhere to go outside the hotel other than Taba Heights which is a very small, quiet village with just a few restaurants. The staff at this hotel are excellent, and everywhere you look there seems to be someone cleaning. The room I had was on the ground floor next to the quiet pool and it was spacious and clean with a large comfortable bed. My only complaint would be that by 8am each morning , there were towels on every sun lounger around this pool which I feel were put there by the pool guy who reserved the beds for guests. This was not a major problem for me as I just went to the beach where I could always find a bed , but it was slightly annoying that despite having a room that opened directly on to the pool, I never got to take advantage of this! Ironically it seems this would no longer be a problem, as there are very few guests compared to when I was there so I am sure there are now plenty of spare sun beds. Reading the recent reviews from guests who describe this as a "dying resort", I feel very sad as this is a lovely hotel with staff who seem to genuinely enjoy looking after you and I just hope people will continue to travel here. For me personally it is unlikely I will return , as I would not want such a long transfer from Sharm now there are no UK flights to Taba.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank ShredBettyUK
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 6, 2013

My wife & I stayed here mid September, both in need of recharging our batteries after a very hectic year & to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We were not disappointed, our room which was on the first floor was spacious & comfortable with a fantastic view over the pool & sea, also had a huge balcony with our own sunbeds & table & chairs. You could not fault the cleanliness in the hotel it was spotless. The staff were second to none making sure your every need was seen too & always with a smiley face. We were privileged to have travelled when most other Europeans had been advised to stay at home, I must say it was bliss almost like having your own private pool, choices of sunbeds & beach all to yourself. Food was very good, nice choice & great service. This is a hotel for those that want peace & quiet, relaxing & great views. We had a great time & met some really nice people. We really didn't want to go home!

Room Tip: Ask for block one, second or third floor have fantastic views
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Keith G
Worcester, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 2, 2013

My wife and I travelled here at the end of October 2013. My wife uses a mobility scooter and we found getting round the hotel easy. They had put us down of the first floor which was good for most of the hotel amenities - pool, seafront and buffet restaurant. The room was spacious and clean and the bed was comfortable, all a very good start. We also found the staff very friendly and helpful throughout the week. There was only two negatives about the hotel. A big one was the food, after the second day we both found our appetites had gone. The food was bland and often didn't go together to make a meal. My wife has been on a strict diet and considering how much desert she put away, she had to eat something, she only put on 1 pound. I however lost about 3 pounds which says a great deal about an all inclusive hotel. We ate because it was time to eat rather than any enjoyment. The second negative was the spa staff who came round, often twice a day hassling you to get a treatment. Even the word no didn't stop them trying and stop the relaxation when you stopped them on the way round.

Although it is a hotel review it is difficult to review the hotel without mentioning Taba Heights. There really is nothing here, about 5 hotels and that's it. There is a reasonable reef just of the beach but while we were there the sea was rough with a big reef break. You constantly felt like you were being pushed into the reef and waves crashing over the snorkel. The golf course looked good but anything not straight would be in the stony ground that made up the rest of the course. There is no history close. Petra looked amazing but £170 per person was too steep. Similarly Jerusalem was between £120-140 per person since there is nothing close to Taba. We went on a good snorkelling trip which was well needed to get out of the hotel for the day.

The weather was hot and windy, which is a good combination. Unfortunately it was almost too windy for books, pages being constantly blown around, hence my title. The Kindle was the way forward and very necessary since there really wasn't anything else to do.

The whole resort was deadly quiet, all the British tour operators have now stopped flying there, as have a great deal of the other European countries. I do feel sorry for the staff who were nice but the resort hasn't got enough to offer. If you want sun, manmade sand and to sit reading all day every day, then this could be the place. Also good if you want to lose weight. I wouldn't recommend this to a friend because there is much better places to go for the price.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Swarbo
Portsmouth
Reviewed November 1, 2013

We were at the Sofitel for the first 2 weeks in October and this was the 2nd time we had stayed at there. We were not disappointed, even though we almost never go back to the same place again. Staff were wonderful, couldn't have been more helpful and made to feel very welcome. We had a wonderful room in Block 1 overlooking the sea.
Food as before, excellent, plenty to choose from and excellent quality, loved Egyptian night. Try the Egyptian desert um Ali , very sweet but delicious. Adults only restaurant was a bonus once the hotel became busier.
Didn't see much of the evening entertainment as up early for the fantastic snorkelling on the reef. But did see the whirling dervish and they were very good. The gin seems to have improved since last time as was very drinkable, as was the wine and beer.
Did the trips to Petra and Jerusalem, we'll worth it . Very early starts, but lots of comfort breaks and sights that you will just never forget
I believe Thompson are no longer going to Taba, what a pity! But worth the transfer from Sharm El Shake when possible.
The staff worked really hard to make sure our stay was a memorable one and we will certainly be returning as it's a great place to recharge your batteries.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank nolostbaggage
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 31, 2013

We went to the Sofitel for the second time in June 2013.

We were allocated an excellent room on arrival as the block we requested was not yet open due to lack of guests.

Huge amount of sunbeds and most days had a whole section of beach to ourselves! :-)

Overall the hotel was good, but it still lacked something (which made us return) from our first visit that we could not quite put our finger on.

Some of the staff were excellent, but a large number didn't seem to care one way or another. The emphasis was on serving the large number of locals that descended upon the hotel who, by the way, were very rude and extremely arrogant. They also had a blatant disregard for the hotels dress code in the restaurant which was ignored by the hotel staff for locals but fiercely imposed on everyone else!

The food the first week was awful, cold and repetitive and, to be honest, we just wanted to go home. Second week it picked up and it became apparent that the main chef had returned.

I contracted gastroenteritis when I was there, in the first week, and had to call the doctor out and was prescribed tablets. I was told by him that it was nothing to do with the hotel as he had not see many reported cases. That may have been the case but people were dropping like flies and going direct to the pharmacy rather than call out the doctor!

I have to say our holiday was saved by some of the people we met at the hotel, a handful of staff and a brilliant trip to Jerusalem. A must do activity.

I do not think that we are likely to return, not good enough to warrant the trip down to Gatwick, they had already stopped flights from Manchester, or potentially flying into Sharm and bussing it down to Taba.

Great shame as this was once a great hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Herfie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taba
Taba Hotel and Nelson Village
Melony Hotel
#41 of 62 in Eilat
Movenpick Resort Taba Hotel
Strand Beach and Golf  Resort Taba Heights

Been to Sofitel Taba Heights? Share your experiences!