“SOFITEL, the best place to go” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sofitel Taba Heights

Sofitel Taba Heights
Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Taba
Rowlands Castle, United Kingdom
“SOFITEL, the best place to go”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

Having just had our 13th trip to Sofitel on November 5th holiday cancelled by Thomson and having had to rebook it through Longwood Holidays and at some extra cost and on different dates, I still wouldn't hesitate to recommend the hotel to others looking to go to Taba Heights. Holidays are what you make them and the hotel and staff give you the ingredients for a good time so you should enjoy it tremendously. I have travelled the world and been to many exotic places but Sofitel is the place where I have met the friendliest people and is the reason why my husband and I keep returning there. When we go in November we are taking our whole family (9 of us) to meet these special people and to stay in such a wonderful hotel. We haven't been since April this year so are really looking forward to it. The staff will go out of their way to indulge your every wish and each department of the hotel is superb at what they do. Taba I know is safe and at this point I have no reservations about travelling to Egypt.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Diana F
Sofitel-Taba, Quality & Training Manager at Sofitel Taba Heights, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Dear Guest

words can not express how much we appreciate your support and you know how much we are looking forward to welcoming you always at your second home Sofitel Taba Heights

Cordially

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (659)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
eastbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

I stayed at the Sofitel during August with my grown up children. From the minute we arrived Sayed the Thomson rep made sure we had the best holiday ever. What Sayed does not know about Taba is not worth knowing, the welcome meeting was the most informative I have ever attended. Sayed goes the extra mile for every one of his customers ensuring they have a great holiday, even being on hand on his day off. In my mind Sayed deserves the recognition by Thomson as being a first class rep who gives first class service to his customers.The transfer and check in were swift even being able to get a hot meal at 10 pm as the restaurant stays open to ensure you can eat on arrival.
The rooms were large comfortable and spacious, with air con I could control. Although the hotel is advertised as 5 star from previous experience unless you travel Thomson gold, any all inclusive package rated 5 star is going to be around a 3.5 to 4 star. Saying that this hotel is very clean, staff are extremely friendly and helpful and we felt incredibly well looked after. Yes the hotel was invaded by Arabs celebrating the end of Ramadan for about a week, however in my opinion the hotel handled this extremely well. The main restaurant is the Aladdin, however they opened up especially the Mediterranean restaurant so all other guests did not have to sit in the Aladdin which became like feeding time at the zoo. These guests were extremely rude to the hotel staff and other guests, but the hotel staff handled them calmly and efficiently and did a fantastic job of trying to ensure other guests were not disrupted too much. As for them pushing in the queues at the bars and pizza area, mostly I saw staff control this but when they weren't around we just told them to get to the back of the Q. This situation is not exclusive to what we experienced at the Sofitel during this one week, you only have to look at students coming to our country who don't Q and push in. Not really something to moan about in my opinion. Food was not always as hot as I would like it and there didn't seem to be so much variety for us in the Mediterranean, however you will not go hungry there is always something to eat and generally I found the food to be ok, not great but ok. Comparing this to other all inclusive 5 star holidays I have had in various other countries it was definitely no worse. Yes we all had a funny tummy for a day, but considering my family ate the same type of food we never had the symptoms on the same days so I do believe it was the heat change of diet, cooking oils etc, if it was the food the symptoms would have lasted so much longer and would have included vomiting.
Overall I found the Sofitel to be comfortable, relaxing and very friendly, there are so many staff that deserve a mention but hard to name them all, the guest relations advisors do a great job of speaking to customers at every opportunity to obtain feedback to help them improve anything.
It was great to have the adult pool with Ahmed the pool attendant always being up for a laugh, (beware you may get pushed in the pool) and Hagagy who looked after the pool bar provided excellent service always with a smile. I would agree some background music would have been nice, but hey I had my I pod so no big deal. The staff at this hotel are incredibly friendly from the managers to the waiters and love to chat with the guests, for my family the hotel staff and the brilliant families we met made this the best holiday we have ever had and I would definitely recommend the Sofitel to others. It was my daughters birthday when we were away and the staff provided a birthday cake and sang her happy birthday in the restaurant which made her evening, so there were some really nice touches too.
I would agree evening entertainment is poor, but being the Brits we are we made the hotel organise more beach parties and these were the best nights ever as it brought all the different cultures together on the beach just dancing and having a great time, so if you get bored of skirt twirlers and belly dancers pester the leisure manager for beach parties they were the best fun ever, your holiday is what you make it as well...
As for safety we felt extremely safe the hotel and resort security was superb, I even got escorted back to my room by security when it was very late (mind you that may have been something to do with the alcohol I had consumed !!)
Overall an excellent hotel, excellent staff and the perfect relaxing environment !!! Thanks for a fantastic holiday...

Room Tip: If your adults ask for a room on the ground floor by the adult pool, you will have the luxury of ope...
Dear Guest

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Sofitel Taba Heights. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Brighton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

This was not a 5* hotel it's a 3.5* at a push. The staff were helpful but that should be expected from a 5* at August prices. The food was poor whole family had upset tummy which the rep tried to blame on the hot weather !! The facilities could have been great with just a few alterations. Location OK over all ambience poor.
Rooms average but poor for 5* standards.
Pool's OK but again poor for 5* standards.
Location nice.
Prices for anything outside all inclusive a complete rip off - 2 packs of M&M sweets ( small pack) in hotel shop £4.00 Crisps £4.00. Local shops not much better.
Having visited Egypt several times before (sharm) realy expected a great holiday but did not get it.
We would not return to this hotel or to Taba.

Room Tip: Go to Sharm its much better
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Sofitel-Taba, Quality & Training Manager at Sofitel Taba Heights, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at Sofitel Taba Heights. we respect your opinion and feedback

At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us.

We would have very much appreciated you sharing your concerns during your stay to give us the chance to make your stay more enjoyable as this is our main concern

i can see that you don't agree with what your rep have told you in regards to the hot weather and it can cause an upset tummy, well the temperature was up to 45 degrees c when you visited, we always advise our guests to drink as much water as they can to avoid dehidration and sun strokes which can be a main reason for tummy problems, also staying the whole day in such hot weather then going to the air conditioned rooms can cause upset tummy as well, food issues would not be an individual case in an operation serving more than 1100 guests

london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

visited as a mum with my 12 & 16 year old daughters ,in Aug for 1 week- stunning hotel ,obviously 5 star in Egypt isn't the same as in the Uk.It was around 43 degrees whilst we were there and due to the v.hot weather a week was enough.Considering the ongoing tension in Cairo we were totally oblivious to this and at no point felt threatened or in danger.,the security at the hotel is very good with guards on the entrance and tourist police patrolling the hotel grounds too.

Hotel: The hotel is stunning,set out in fairly large grounds,it has a large swimming pool that goes all the round the main part of the hotel ,part of it is sea water and the rest fresh water and a 'quiet pool' for adults and over 12's ,which is lovely and quiet and could get a sun bed easily around it.The beach is very close to the hotel with just a pathway to cross from the hotel.

Rooms:The rooms are quite large with ample storage space ,minifridge ,lovely powerful air con,hair dryer ,huge shower which always had plenty of hot water,also had a good size balcony with chairs and a table which overlooked the pool.

Food:There was plenty of choice and we found something to eat everyday.There is a sealed bottle of water on the table every lunch and dinner time ,breakfast was 6.30-10.30 with a late continental breakfast from 10.30-12.30, lunch was 12-3pm snacks including pizza,chips,hotdogs,burgers and kebab rolls available from midday until 5pm at The Lotus bar,dinner was 6.30-10.30pm.There are 2 restaurant options for both lunch and dinner,The Aladdin which when we went was pretty chaotic with Isreali/ Jordanian families and their hundreds of kids who appear to hve no manners and don't like queing for anything,but had a fair bit of atmosphere ,or The Medeteranean with was adults only so a lot quieter and more civilised but lacked any atmosphere,we went between the two depending on our mood.
There was plenty of salad,veg,fruit,pasta,rice ,bread and different dishes each night,although we did find the food fairly bland ,but you could always take in your own spices/ chilli etc.All of the salad and fruit is washed in bottled water and the ice cubes are made this way too.There is hand sanitizer on the walls of each restaurant,we didn't get any dodgy bellies whilst there and we pretty much eat everything on offer.The A/I drinks were great ,the rose wine was lovely as were the cocktails,they are available from 11am-11pm and there are water dispensers around every pool if you just want water.

Staff: The staff are amazing and couldn't do enough for us.The Thomson rep ( Sayed) is excellent and knows the hotel and the local area really well and was very helpful.

All in all a great holiday ,would highly recommend Sofitel Taba and would love to return at possibly a slightly cooler time of year.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Sofitel-Taba, Quality & Training Manager at Sofitel Taba Heights, responded to this review, August 27, 2013

France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

This is a wonderful all inclusive hotel. The staff are friendly and welcoming. The animation is excellent, their is something to do all day if you wish, but if you just want to relax the animation team are not pushy and you willalways find a quiet spot. The rooms are huge with high domed ceiling.
The restaurant is pleasant with a choice of indoor or outdoor dining. Its serve yourself buffet with themed menus each day, and a huge choice of freshly prepared food.
If it can pay the 300 euros for a day trip to Petra in Jordan, this once in a lifetime experience is worth every penny.
Finally Taba is a long way away from all the turmoil in Cairo, and Taba exists only because of Tourist. The people here will make your holiday wonderful and to my mind you are perfectly safe.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank mitchfrance

Great Dunmow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

This is a really tough review to write since I actually had the most wonderful holiday imaginable, but how much that is actually down to the hotel itself is questionable.

FLIGHT. Check in seamless but a surly Thomson check-in agent doesn't really pacify nervous flyers which two of our party are. Flight only acceptable by virtue of the fact that we had paid for extended leg room seats. Taking it a stage further, on a flight of almost 5 hours I think it is utterly reprehenisble that Thomsons do not provide a meal as part of the package (or at least some sort of gratis reffreshment/nourishment. Everything about the Thomson flight spells Budget and Cheap. The concept of quality goes right out the door and it does not serve well for the first impressions you have on the holiday.

CHECK-IN. As we had gone for a private transfer checkin was totally seamless and the greeting was very friendly. The entrance to the hotel was spectacular, although some air conditioning may have been appreciated.

ROOM. Excellent. Clean, spacious, huge bed with a really nice bathroom with large walk in shower, although I certainly missed my power shower from home as the water did not exactly flow at a huge rate of knots.

FOOD. This is where it becomes difficult. Basically there were two restaurants. The Aladdin and the Mediterranean. The ambience in the Med room was far far better with linen table clothes and an altogether more serene atmosphere. The down side was that the selection, and particular the food temperature was abysmal by comparison. Barely tepid food with a limited choice, although I will say the two waiters who regularly waited on us were superb (Ali and Omar). You might say that we should have gone across to the Aladdin. Not an option........ We wer invaded from Jordan and Saudi by families celebrating Eid and the end of Ramadan. The Med did not allow kids under 10, but the Aladdin proved to be a daily bunfight with two complately clashing cultures, neither of which would see the others customs as being anything other than rude, ill mannered and divisive. This meant that the actual eating experience in the Aladdin was unpleasant, noisy and, qute frankly unhygenic. Therefore we settled for substandard tepid food in a pleasant ambiance being the lesser of two evils.
POOL AREA. There were two distinct areas, and my comments relating to the eating applies to the pools, however, the quiet pool area was wonderful with a great social scene which developed over the course of the holiday with some truly lovely people (it also had the luxory of no children under 12 allowed in it). If I was going to be ultra-critical two things lacking from the quiet pool. Some low-key music and a small food area, which would probably have meant we would not have moved all day. Hagagy who ran the drinks area was very friendly and Ahmed who oversaw safety and discipline by the pool was always up for a joke and a laugh and added to the relaxed atmosphere.

One very important thing for you to know. We have always protected with sunblock and also in the early days of our holiday we would wear a light weight t-shirt. This was not permitted and we had to go to El Wakela and purchase two specialised non-cotton t-shirts for £25 each. This is an issue that I am taking up with Thomson, but be aware, t-shirts are a definate no-no.

OVERALL HOLIDAY. I would certainly come here again, as it was really a wonderful holiday but I would ensure that I had no Ramadan/Eid cross over since the hotel, is, in my opinion not equipped to deal with a) 100% capacity and b) a clash in cultures which, although make no comment regarding rights and wrongs, actually showed huge differences.

This hotel is sprawling and I do not think it makes the most use of its space. I do not think it is particularly mobility impaired friendly, and I actually suffered an attack of gout whilst I was there and had considerable difficulty getting from place to place. Many many stairs (38 to be precise), and far better use could be made of their spacious and beautiful grounds.

EVENING ENTERTAINMENT - Nothing worth saying here.- poor, limited and everything has been said on other reviews.

Room Tip: Two routes to go. Ground floor = Easy access to quiet pool. Up high gives you more spectacular views...
3 Thank Garyorient
Sofitel-Taba, Quality & Training Manager at Sofitel Taba Heights, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Dear Guest

First of all i would like to thank you for your interest shown at Sofitel Taba Heights, during your visit to Taba

We have enjoyed having you with us and we appreciate your time to tell us your comments in regards to your stay

Spirit of openness is one of Sofitel values, as we are open to feedback

Thank you for the compliments you expressed to our services, as you highlighted we keep some places only for adults to give them the space to relax in a quite atmosphere like the quite pool and the Meditterenian restaurant

The Med. restaurant serves exactly the same buffet as the Aladdin restaurant, however our chef would be very happy to receive any comment you might have had in regards to the food and will be more than happy to meet with your requests

Again we thank you for your comments, and looking forward to welcoming you back at Sofitel Taba Heights in the near future

Please don't hesitate to contact me directly for any preference you might like to have in your next stay

Southampton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

Well, I was so looking forward to this holiday after all the great reviews and how perfect it was meant to be. The hotel was clean and staff attentive although grumpy as it was Ramadan. We found the quiet pool which was great - no kids! So if your like us with grown up children and you just want to relax find this little oasis by block 3. We asked if we could have a room by the pool and the reception staff kindly found us two room together in our second week.
The biggest let down was the food, 5 star? no where near. Had better food in 3 star hotels. The hot food was luke warm. When the food starts to run out they replace with new but scrape the cold left overs into it...result - had food poisoning.
I do have to commend the staff for dealing with the big influx at the end of Ramadan from the Arabs who come across from Jordan and Saudi. The men where so rude to the staff I don't know how they kept their cool!
Snorkeling great from the beach, and can recommend the Sinai by night trip to see the stars.
Overall good holiday, would go back for a weeks winter sun but wouldn't choose it for my main summer break

Room Tip: Block 3 for quiet
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Sofitel-Taba, Quality & Training Manager at Sofitel Taba Heights, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review, it was a great pleasure welcoming you at Sofitel Taba Heights, we enjoyed having you with us and happy to hear that you would return back

I do apologize for the inconvenience you may have encountered in your second week, but us you said all the ambassadors were working hard to make our guests stay more enjoyable

I have read your comments in regards to the food, and would have much appreciated if you have addressed anyone of the management team with your comment so we can serve you better, our main goal is our customers satisfaction, at Sofitel we believe in visible management so we are always around and open for any feed back

i would just need to highlight that using the term food poisoning might be unfair, as food poisoning would never be an individual case in such an operation serving more than 1100 guests at least half of this number would be affected if there was an issue with the food

Again i thank you for your comments which were taken seriously and looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future at Sofitel Taba Heights

Cordially
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taba
Taba Hotel & Nelson Village
U Suites Eilat
#10 of 63 in Eilat
Movenpick Resort Taba Hotel
Strand Beach and Golf  Resort Taba Heights

Been to Sofitel Taba Heights? Share your experiences!