Crazy Horse Hostel
$59
$57
  • Pool
Hotels.com
Sofitel Taba Heights(Taba)(Great Value!)
$60
$45
$100
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 1, 2012

We were four couples travelling to Nuweiba, Taba. It wasn’t our first time for me and my wife at Nuweiba, but it was our first at Crazy Horse. We've been to other places like Basata and Safari.

The staff was friendly. We stayed for 3 nights. Generally speaking, it’s a calm simple place, with better facilities than most camps/hostels in its class. I gave it 4 stars for being better on average than the other places in that region. Here are the pros and cons:

Pros

-Their food variety isn’t exactly five stars, but it’s much better than other beach resorts there, and the Seafood in particular was very good. At many resorts in Nuweiba, you may have to bring your own food or buy the raw food at the resort and cook it yourself. This is not the case here. They have breakfast and dinner. You can take any food/beverage with you, and I would advise you do that for mineral water.

-The guests/visitors of the hotel were from a decent middle class. I noticed this, because usually during Easter holidays in Egypt, you would be engulfed with the kind of hotel guests that ruin your peace of mind. So that was a major plus.

-I am not a dog person, but it’s worth mentioning that you can bring your dog. There were so many dogs on the beach that belong to guests. Almost every kind From the big Mastiff to the small/crazy Jack Russells.

-We swam in the sea and the water was clean, a bit of rock on the shore though, so get those shoes designed for the sea.

-The price per night for a half-board deal was very well priced.

-The room design is made to be cool. There is a dome built over every room which creates a good amount of space in the ceiling inside of the room. That really helps the room to stay relatively cool on the inside. In addition, there is an AC in every room and works very well.

- They have like open tents/shades with carpets to lie on the beach. Great view and well done.

Cons.

-Breakfast and dinner were open buffets. It was the Easter Holidays and this means the resort rooms were ALL occupied. Problem was if you don’t arrive early to either buffets, some of the food variety would be finished temporarily, and you would have to wait from 5-15 mins for that food to be refilled in the buffet tray. Also one time I waited in the queue from 10-15 mins till my turn came to start filling my plate. Bottom line: They don’t have enough staff-resources to be prompt during high season.

-Sometimes the water supply in the bathroom would get cut off. It would come back in 30 mins or so. I used the toilet at 8:30 am then 30 mins later, the water just stopped flowing from the tap. Thank God I was almost done. My friends woke up 30 mins after me, and they had to wait for while till the water came back. I think perpetual water supply is a common problem in the area of Nuweiba, but I have to mention it.

-The resort staff could forget to record your food and beverage orders throughout the day. You know like beverages or food you ordered while on the beach. I had to keep note of my orders.
They forgot to add my orange juice to our bill. I fear they may as well add things to the bill that weren’t ordered. It wasn’t that big of a deal, because the staff is flexible. However, I recommend you try to pay for your order day by day. Don’t wait till its check out time.

- No one carries your luggage for you when you check-in or check-out. One of the staff wanted to help but we were just too many people with too many bags. I have to admit that it wasn’t a long walking distance to the room, nor were there any stairs to burden.

- There are no TVs / LCDs in the room for watching. I didn't care though.

-No kettle/tea making facilities in room. But they do have tea on the beach and during breakfast.

-mosquitoes in the night.... Ok Its not THAT bad. But there were two things I had packed with me and my friends were so grateful for it. 1) I got mosquito repellent spray for the body and 2) I got some of those repellent products that you plug in the electric sockets of the room. The result was we never had any trouble. Let alone that the AC in the room helps keep those damn mosquitos quiet.

Conclusion: Would I go again? ....Yes, I wouldn't mind at all. But I would not prefer during High seasons.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Aly-Lee
Reviewed July 24, 2011

My husband, my son and myself went there after moving from Basata Camp. The room had a decent air conditioning (it didn't get very cold, but it was do able). We stayed in a triple room (my husband and I pushed two bed together). It was decently clean and we a good size. The beach was rocky but was do-able. The staff on the other hand went out of their way to make sure everything was what we wanted and liked, if not, the made it right. We will stay here again when we pass through the area.

Room Tip: As for half board, they will make a special price for you and its OK to neg on the price
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 5, 2011

Last April week right after Easter I had booked at Crazy Horse, not for the first time, but for the first time alone without kids.
I stayed in a clean king size bed room with bathroom incl shower.
It was clean and the A/C was functioning perfectly.
The friendly staff had even prepared insect spray in the room to take care of the mosquitoes that really were many this year all over egypt
food was great always fresh
I had sea food platter that was really amazing and they had a beach BBQ night that was from out of this world.
Also my friends who came to visit had a great time spending the day.
My room was made up every other day and upon request.
staff is very friendly and helpful
Manager was very welcoming and made sure that everything was going smoothly
Can only recommend the place specially for families with Kids as the beach is very safe and the rooms are close to the beach so parents can chill at night and have an eye on their room and kids while sleeping

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Mariem_Makar
Reviewed April 10, 2011

Having stayed in many hostels over the years I would have to say this was the worst. I went with a group of freinds for a weekend and swore we would never return. The rooms were a decent size but had to change rooms as toilet did not flush, within a day the next room fell apart, beds broke, bathroom door broke, air con did not work, toilet then broke etc. We also got eaten alive by mosquitoes which did not happen in nuweiba a few weeks before! The service was terrible, meals took over an hour at best (the first night it took nearly 3 hours to get our dinner!), orders and drinks were forgotten, menu was very expensive and portions tiny. There is nothing around for miles so you end up having to eat there.

when we came to pay our bill at the end they had completely messed it up. We were ony there two days yet they managed to add so many things to our bill that we did not have then tried to blame us for giving the wrong room numbers or ordering things under our freinds rooms. After each of us having a heated debate and the manager being very rude we managed to leave.

I can honestly say it was the worst place I have every stayed at and had more service and fun as the most basic of beach hut hostels which cost half the price. Do not go there! Go another 20km and stay at soft beach hostel in Nuweiba. Better yet just go to Dahab!

Room Tip: Do not go, if you do take lots of mosquito spray
  • Stayed: April 2011
1  Thank InjiM
Reviewed July 27, 2010

Crazy Horse is a little different from most camps in the area. Proper stone buildings with en-suite bathrooms and airconditioning - heaven! It still retains the chilled beach atmosphere but with mod cons and a little luxury.

Food is fantastic, ocean is amazing, overall experience is fun and relaxed.

Don't try the other camps if you like your mod cons!

Go, you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends