“Don’t be fooled by all the five star reviews - this is a 3* All-Inclusive and here's why...”

Taba Hotel and Nelson Village
Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in Taba
Kent, UK
“Don’t be fooled by all the five star reviews – this is a 3* All-Inclusive and here's why...”
Reviewed November 26, 2009

Firstly I should say that this is my first time on a 5* All Inclusive in Egpyt so I have no other hotels in Egypt to compare it with. However, I have been on several five star all inclusive hotels around Europe (mainly turkey it should be said) and I can say that compared to those hotels, this is definitely not 5* and probably only 3 STARS hotel.

Room
We did not upgrade and stayed in a standard room in the main hotel section. Our room was basic and clean but there was a lingering smell of smoke as guests are allowed to smoke in their rooms. This was unpleasant as we are non-smokers. Note to managers: ALL ROOMS SHOULD BE NON SMOKING. Also of great irritancy to us was that the minibar is NOT included as part of the All-Inclusive when it should be. I expect All-Inclusive to mean all-inclusive and that means free use of the mini-bar, at least with a couple of bottles of water. This highlights that the hotel is not 5 star – with 5 star facilities. On the vast 5 star all inclusive holidays I have been on the minibar has been free and with bottles of soda, water, juice and alcohol. There are a few good English movie channels but on several occasions the channel would go blank and you would miss 5-10 mins of the movie. Some of the other English channels had no sound.

Entertainment
Having been on many all inclusive holidays we know that the evening entertainment is never the highlight of the stay but that is usually OK and we turn up. This time however we did not even bother to check out the entertainment mainly for one main reason – it does not start until 22:15. We felt this was too late – 21:30-21:45 start would have been better. The entertainment takes place in the Rainbow Bar with a few chairs scattered around an area in the corner behind the bar.

Staff
We found the staff very nice and friendly and made the effort to introduce themselves and talk to you. However we were disappointed by one incident whereby after learning that we were too late to make a reservation at one of the “speciality” restaurants from Mario (reservations at 1pm – we turned up around 1:15pm) he said that he would book us in for the next day and we saw him make a note of this. This is not something we asked him to do – he promised he would do it. However, the next day when we checked if we had been booked for the restaurant we found out that Mario had not done this. Disappointing.

This was the major disappointment to us. Very poor choice of food – the same food every lunch and dinner. I really don’t understand how everyone can say there is a good variety/choice of food. In the main restaurant you line up canteen-style and there are 5 or 6 items to choose from. I can tell you that tonight the guests who will be dining in the main restaurant at the Taba Hilton will have a choice of chicken, beef, rice, potato, pasta, and some vegetable stir-fry for their main meal. Hope they like it as they will be having the same tomorrow. This has to be the worst variety of food for any 5 star All-Inclusive I have been too. As a positive the quality of the food is good – although one of us did fall ill for two days.

To combat food poisoning they have done an excellent thing and made everyone sanitise their hands before entering the restaurant. We thought this was a great idea…..until one of the waiters come around and make you sign some random notepad with one of their pens HALFWAY through your meal!! Don’t people at Taba Hilton realise how much bacteria can be found on pens??!!! Makes the whole point of cleaning your hands pointless. Don’t you think Mr Rogers?

They never gave us an explanation on why they ask you to sign for meals and drinks at the bar – the waiters just say that everything is included and there is no charge. BUT WHY DO IT?!!! We believe that it is probably because you can only go to breakfast/lunch/dinner only once (so make sure you eat enough to last until the next meal) and they want to check you are not breaking the rules. But if this is the case why sign for drinks at the bar? This is VERY strange behaviour for an All-Inclusive hotel – never have I experienced this. Be honest – what is the reason?

Oh, if you like/want pizza you will have to pay extra as this is NOT part of the All-Inclusive package. Another example of this NOT being a 5 star hotel with 5 star services – everyone on here that has stated that there is a fantastic choice of food need to wake up to a REAL 5 star all-inclusive. The hotel should NOT be charging guests extra for pizza if it is All-Inclusive. Right?! I have been on all-inclusive holidays where I can have pizza any time of the day for no extra charge and after being bored stiff of chicken and beef all week it would have been nice to have something different.

Beach
The beach is quite small and narrow for a hotel of this size. I would image during the peak season the beach would get quite crowded so be prepared to spend your holiday lying alongside the Russians if you are going in the summer. The beach itself is fine although is quite stony in parts.

Review obsessed
The managers are very on the ball when it comes to reviews and criticism to their hotel. They mentioned TripAdvisor several times in the welcome meeting so are well informed of their number one status on this site. They know TripAdvisor is used by many people when deciding to choose to stay at the hotel or not and I am sure that they will want to keep hold of their number 1 rank. If they want tips on how they can improve the hotel I suggest they take their next holiday to Turkey next year and see what a real 5* All-Inclusive looks like.

Conclusion
From reading my review you might gather that I did not enjoy my time at Taba Hilton. Not at all, it was a good holiday….but the hotel is really only 3 stars. The glowing reviews on this site do not reflect an accurate portray of the hotel's services, facilities or standard. If you have been on many 5 star All Inclusive holidays before, like we have, chances are that this one will be far from the best you have been on and you might come away feeling a bit disappointed.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank KeyWest77
MartinRogers, General Manager at Taba Hotel and Nelson Village, responded to this review, November 28, 2009
Thank you for completing your Trip Advisor Review on your return from your holiday. I am sorry to hear that we failed to meet your expectations during this holiday.

Trip advisor is a Social Network site that allows guests to complete reviews at their own discretion and allows both positive and negative reviews. Hotels do not have any control on the contents entered and only have the right to a limited reply. I must congratulate Trip Advisor on this network, as this site has become a valuable tool for many people.

Over 240 reviews have now been completed on my Hotel and I feel that most of your questions have been answered by these guests and that I do not need to repeat all their comments.

I can confirm that the standard bedrooms for the main block are rear facing, with no balconies.

Entertainment start each evening at 8.30pm with Ahmed Bakra, singer/pianist and a second local act arrives and performs at 10.15pm. The Roxy Disco is them from 11.00pm.

The introduction of sanitiser at the restaurant door has nothing to do with food poisoning, the food comes from the kitchen not the front of the restaurant?

I attend every welcome meeting at the Hotel and explain to the guests that we are not just an all inclusive hotel and operate Room only, Bed and Breakfast and Half Board packages. We need to ask all guests to sign their bills during their holiday so that we are able to control all of these packages.

I am sure when someone invents a system to sign for bills with out using a pen I will introduce it at the Hotel ?

Pizza wedges are available every lunch time at the Nelson Village Lunch buffet

The Hotel is operating at 92-94% occupancy during October and November, which is the busiest time of the year. You would have experienced the beaches at the busiest possible times.

The Management and Team are very proud of their ranking in Trip Advisor. As mentioned earlier – we do not control this Social Network, only the guests can. We invite all UK guests to a weekly cocktails party on Wednesday evenings so that we can meet our guests. This is where we have the opportunity to see how things are going (both negative and positive).

With regards to your comments that I need to be honest ?? and that my team should go to Turkey ?? I will leave that for our guests (past and future) to do, As they are the one’s that complete the Trip Advisor reviews – not me.

Regards

Martin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Berkshire
Reviewed November 24, 2009

We have historically spent time in Fuerteventura around this time of year, but this year we decided to try somewhere different and based on a recommendation from a work colleague decided to visit the Hilton resort at Taba. Brilliant choice, and great result!

The complex comprises of beachfront apartments (Nelson Village) and the main hotel complex. We stayed in the hotel, and had a spotlessly clean room with a decent sized double and single bed. Housekeeping is excellent and we returned most evenings to find a towel sculpture waiting for us on the bed - a beautiful touch (and very clever too!)

The whole hotel and complex is maintained and cleaned to an extremely high standard – far better than we have ever experienced in any European resort or complex. The sea water pool was drained and cleaned three times in the week we were there.

The food in the main restaurant is served buffet style, and given the length of each meal service and the numbers catered for, the catering staff perform a good job. The food was rather repetitive, but given the caveats above we felt that it is of a reasonable quality, well presented, and more than adequate.

Waiting staff in all of the restaurants and bars were fabulous, being friendly and attentive without being intrusive, which would suggest very comprehensive and detailed training, so well done to all involved.

We visited in early November, and by early afternoon the sun had disappeared from the pool area but was still available on the beach in front of Nelson Village which is where we spent the latter part of our holiday. The Pirates Bar on the beach is good, but can get a bit busy at certain times, and the Nelson restaurant is great for a snacky lunch – again, really good service at both.

We had a meal at the Casa Taba restaurant, the a la carte experience, but were slightly disappointed with the standard of food – we had much higher expectations. The cost of wine is extortionate, so be warned as the waiters are extremely attentive!

Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our experience and would have no hesitation in recommending this resort. We will certainly return in either spring or autumn next year, when the temperatures are ambient and there are relatively few children.

The entertainment team were fabulous, presenting something for everybody from early morning to late evening. Great stamina, always approachable, and also assisted guests departing when no reps appeared. Thanks to Mojo and team for a huge, huge contribution to the guest experience.

All in all, we really enjoyed our experience and will return. All the staff we met were polite, friendly, and well trained, and helped make our holiday such an enjoyable experience. Managers are available and approachable, and encourage and welcome feedback. We can only comment on exceptional service from those staff we came in direct contact with, and are aware that the hotel is full of staff that regularly work 12 – 14 hour days, but a big thank you to all (including backroom staff in housekeeping, catering, and maintenance, who we never had the chance to meet but made a significant contribution to our stay.)

In summary, a very enjoyable break and we would have no hesitation in recommending to others.

A final point – food and duty free facilities at Taba airport are extremely limited, and no alcohol is served.

1 Thank Edbit
MartinRogers, General manager at Taba Hotel and Nelson Village, responded to this review, November 25, 2009
Thank you for completing a Trip Advisor Review on your return from Holiday.

I will ensure that your comments are passed onto the Team members.

I am sorry to read about your experience in the Casa Taba Restaurant and will ensure that Mario (F&B Manager) looks into this issue.

I must warn all guests that wine in Egypt unfortunately is always expensive. There is a 300% tax added to the imported wine before delivery to the Hotels.

We would be delighted to welcome you back to the Taba Hilton in the near future

Milton Keynes
Reviewed November 23, 2009

We loved this holiday & are already booking for next May to return with friends.

We arrived at around 9.30pm the reception desk was fully staffed with no waiting drinks were offered we was taken to our rooms and was informed that if we wanted a meal the restaurant was still open.
All the staff cannot do enough for you always very helpful and always have a smile. The meals in the main restaurant were very varied and even for my husband who is quite picky loved the different choices, no complaints on the lovely cakes always on offer.
Nelson Pub was ideal at lunch time if you was on the beach, fish chips and burgers if you wanted to feel at home. We did not eat in the evening at Nelson's but heard good comments that the food was good (included in the all inclusive) we went to the Marahba and the food was lovely and was nice to be waited on. (included in the all inclusive) we did not not go to Casa Taba the fine dining restaurant (not included in the all inclusive but you do get 20% off) we will try that next time. We was informed that the food was well worth the money.
The beach was on our door step as we was at Nelson Village, plenty of sun beds and unbrellas were available. There was plenty of hammocks around the complex I did spend many an hour reading in them. You do need reef shoes to enter the sea if you do not want to be giving everyone a laugh when you are going in and out. The coral and the fish are well worth seeing. We went to the Maldives last year and the coral and fish were better here.
The spa treatments were very good value, we went to the spa for massages, body scrub and facial 5 days of the holiday. We used this holiday to totally relax and unwind which we did.
I cannot offer any information on any of the trips because we did no trips and did not leave the complex. We had no time, Breakfast, get relaxed on the beach, Yoga-Stretching, Beach Volley Ball & Water aerobics then it was lunch time. Spa treatment and Beach Volley ball again, snorkelling then back to your room. The days were filled doing nothing important you do what you want to do.
It was a shame the Pirates bar closed at 10pm, it was lovely to sit and relax on the beach overlooking the sea, we then went up to the Rainbow bar and watched the evening entertainment which was the local dancers. Mojo etc done a very good show every night. The disco was open until 2am (drinks not included in all inclusive) we went in one night there was only 12 of us all english that had got together over the week.
We both loved this holiday the hotel was better than expected and all of the staff were brilliant.

I would love to mention names but all the staff were fantastic and each take a personnal interest in you. We have stayed at many Hilton Hotels but the service you get at the Hilton Taba is the best we have had. Martin should be very proud of all the staff and each take pride in how they look the uniforms are very smart and always clean.

If you are thinking of booking then do, the value is excellant the service is brilliant and fish are very welcoming.

* THANK YOU HILTON TABA FOR A LOVELY HOLIDAY SEE YOU NEXT YEAR *

2 Thank MiltonKeynesBeachBum
MartinRogers, General Manager at Taba Hotel and Nelson Village, responded to this review, November 23, 2009
many thanks for your trip advisor review and kind words. They are appreciated and I will pass them on to all the team.

I hope you have the opportunity to try the Nelson Village Restaurant for dinner on your next visit.

The Massage centre has just added a steam room and sauna area, which enables them to offer more choice.

Sorry we close the Pirates Bar outside at 10.00am as the Nelson Village Rooms have a large amount of families and children. But we are working on a couple of other options for next year.

Bydgoszcz, Poland
Reviewed November 21, 2009

I spent with my wife very nice holidays in Hilton Taba Hotel. It's nice place for snorkeling, sunbathing and swimming. We found the staff very friendly. Especially we would like to thank animation staff-Ksenya (stretching), Mojo, Sam and others. Food was very tasty and of great variety. Hotel is a great base for trips to Israel and Jordan.
We highly recommend this hotel to everyone who wants to spend relaxing holidays.

1 Thank rys5510
MartinRogers, General Manager at Taba Hotel and Nelson Village, responded to this review, November 22, 2009
Thank you for completing a Trip Advsior Review on your visit to the Hilton Taba and Nelson Village Resort.

Great to see that you enjoyed your holiday and used the opportunity to visit Israel and Jordan

Yorkshire, England
Reviewed November 18, 2009

We've just returned from probably the BEST holiday we've EVER had at the Hilton Taba. Where do I begin... We could not fault this wonderful place, the hotel & it's surroundings are beautiful, the staff are AMAZING, the snorkling is breath-taking, the food is wonderful & there is plenty of it.
I would especially like to thank Azzam & Tarek (the best cocktail makers ever) they were wonderful & friendly & are an credit to the Hilton Taba, Mohammed our waiter in the main restaurant and Sam (& the rest of the Animation team) the aqua aerobics is brilliant & loads of fun please don't be shy & give it a try.
The weather was fantastic & we always got a sunbed by the pool & there were beds by the beach if you wanted them.
The food was fantastic, Palm court (main restaurant) we were spoilt for choice at the buffet. Nelson's bar was great for lunch with wonderful views over Jordan, Israel & Saudi Arabia & the evening menu was great too. Marhaba was lovely, very intimate & great service. Casa Taba was beautiful, the fillet steak with gorgonzola cheese sauce is to die for & the service is outstanding. Pirates bar is lovely too with a great view out over the sea but sadly this closed at 10pm. It has a great atmosphere & the staff brilliant. The entertainment is good & the service in the lounge is great.
There were a couple of people who had birthdays while we were there & the Palm court staff were fantastic, all the waiters were singing & dancing & brought them a cake, it must have made the people's birthdays really memorable & it was lovely to watch. The like i've never seen before it was brilliant.
Every week there is a managers cocktail party for the new guests & the managers are all there to ask if there are any problems. The only point we brought up was the fact that the pool was a little outdated - I was gladly informed that the pool area is being refurbished at the end of november so it should be great when we go back.
I cannot praise this hotel & it's wonderful staff enough we will DEFINATELY be returning soon.
Thank you *& see you again soon. The Holden's

1 Thank JanLee69
MartinRogers, General Manager at Taba Hotel and Nelson Village, responded to this review, November 18, 2009
Many thanks for your Trip Advsior review and kind comments.

Great to see that you enjoyed your holiday. We now offer a good selection of restaurants within the All Inclusive Package and it is always good to see guests having the opportunity to use them all during their visit.

The main swimming pool is salt water and over the years the fountain has lost many tiles etc and the salt water has affected many other areas around the pool. We will be closing the pool for 2 weeks from 1st December for major repairs and refurbishment (any guests arriving during these 2 weeks please do not worry, the main pool will be very cold during December and no one normally uses it and the second swimming pool will still be open and is heated).

kettering
Reviewed November 17, 2009

If your thinking of going to the hilton @Taba then dont think just book it asap!! We have just had a fanastic week there and could not fault it in anyway. The staff are really friendly and helpful, the hotel is spotlessly clean, the sea and views are breath taking and the snorkelling is second to none. The pools and beach are next to each other and the italian restaurant has food to die for!!! There are so many fish to see and they are friendly too!!! Even the room cleaner made things special by doing arrangements of animals with towels !! which made the kidz want to rush back to the room to see what he had made. Beware of the russians, you have to get up pretty early to get the sunbeds on the beach like 07.00 am but there are plenty of beds around the pools. the entertainment is great and my kids loved the animation staff. We went on one trip while we were there, which was quad biking in Gharb, visiting the blue hole - which should be called the black hole it was dirty and like a plastic bottle recycling plant, the camels were trotting over the debris along the sea shore. The wc cost £2.00 and was disgusting!! We could not wait to get back to the Hilton at taba to be spoliled and pampered!!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank y99deb
many thanks for your Trip Advisor review and kind comments.

Great to see that you family enjoyed their holiday. Sorry to hear about your experience in the 'Black' hole. Mojo's animation team are a great asset to the Hotel and manage to keep every one happy and entertained.

milton keynes
Reviewed November 16, 2009

I booked this hotel with reservations after reading some of the reviews, I traveled with 5 friends on what has become an annual jaunt and we have become quite choosy about hotels and resorts, as we are a range of different ages and tastes.
I booked through Peltours and the arrangements couldnt have been smoother
This Hotel was a big surprise the welcome and helpfulness of the checkin staff was a good start and after that things just got better. Rooms were not big but were clean bright and had great views of the pool and beach, there are no automatic tea coffee facilities but we mentioned it once and a kettle, tea and coffee appeared.
The beach was clean and staff there could not do enough for us,Mohammed(Memo)the guest services manager was around every day asking our opinion and also writing things down and acting on them, one of my friends mentioned different pillows and they were there the same day.There is a weekly cocktail evening where all the management go to listen to and take note of your comments. A great idea.
Meals for the all inclusive are good with a chice of restaurants although you do have to pre book a couple and have to be quick off the mark if you want an early sitting.The buffet did not need booking and the choice was varied and well cooked.
We were treated just as specially in the all inclusive restaurants as we were in the Casa that did have a charge for all inclusive guests.
We treated ourselves to beauty treatments as females do and were not dissappointed with the massage centre or the treatments.
Health and saftey standards in the smaller salon where we attempted pedicures did leave a lot to be desired and our feet did suffer some cuts!! We passed comments about this on to Memo and I think this has ben dealt with.
The two highlights were the delightful staff and of course the cocktails in the Rainbow Bar where we were greeted as old friends, and if you do go to this hotel please take the time to go on a day or evening cruise where you can snorkle as some did or just sit on board and watch the scenery and soak up the sun as I did. Mohammed our diver took so much care with swimmers who were unsure in the water and stayed with them to show off the great coral and fish.
We had a fantastic time and for the first time ever in our 17 years of going away together it is very likely that we will go back to this hotel again next year.We dont usually return as we like to try different places.
I was slightly dissappointed with the information given at our welcome brief as I felt the discription of the resaurants was not accurate and did underplay them, also the fact that you could only buy Duty Free at the resort within 3 days of arriving was never mentioned to us and we missed out.
Overall a great Hotel in a beauiful setting with staff who cant do enough for you and who are always smiling.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank pam2
MartinRogers, General Manager at Taba Hotel and Nelson Village, responded to this review, November 16, 2009
Thank you fro your Trip Advisor Review and kind comments.

Tea and coffee are not provided as a standard in the rooms, however we try our best to place them in (on request).

The service issue from the Beauty Rooms in the shopping mall has been addressed. Unfortunately most outlets in hotels are not owned or run by the Hotel - However, when we are told something is wrong we have the right to tackle these issues.

Great to see that you all enjoyed your holiday and we would be delighted to welcome you back to the Hotel in the future.

Martin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taba
Taba Sands Hotel
Isrotel Yam Suf Hotel
Movenpick Resort Taba Hotel
Sofitel Taba Heights
Strand Beach and Golf  Resort Taba Heights

Been to Taba Hotel and Nelson Village? Share your experiences!