“Excellent holiday at the Hilton Taba”

Taba Hotel and Nelson Village
Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in Taba
UK
“Excellent holiday at the Hilton Taba”
Reviewed June 6, 2009

Thoroughly enjoyed our recent stay at the Hilton and impressed by the standard of care. I travelled with my young son who now wants to cancel all our other booked holidays this year and return to Taba instead! Just a case of me finding the money...

We stayed in Nelson's Village which was worth the upgrade for the convienience of the main beach alone. The room was clean, the beds comfortable and we had plenty of storage space (for the far too many clothes we took!). The only annoyance was the unwanted mini-bar that kept humming all night...unplug it! There's a kettle there with the usual sachets of nescafe, tea bags and sugar but no milk (we took some powdered milk from home). The telly has an english news channel and cartoon network, you can request an iron & board from reception and there's the safe as well.

The main Palm Court restaurant was always welcoming and had a large range of foods to choose from. However make sure you don't sit waiting for coffee, drinks or cutlery for long, as these requests do sometimes need a gentle reminder. All staff we encountered there were very pleasant and always pleased to see you. We ate there at breakfast and dinner and were always satisfied with the food.

Nelson's Village restaurant was our choice at lunchtimes where you could have simple food such as fries, pizza or select your own ingredients for a pasta dish, al fresco. I know it's not some peoples idea of Egyptian cuisine but I went to Taba for the sun, snorkelling and location, not the food. The staff here were very prompt and friendly.

We met various brits over the week, all of whom were really friendly and a great bunch of guys. It was nice to chat about our experiences and activities and even meet up for lunch/evening entertainment on occasions. We stayed during the infamous "health warning" week and whilst I don't wish to discredit other people's experiences, we had no tummy problems of significance at all.

From day one we drank lots of water, took frequent refuge in the shade and ate mostly hot food in moderation, we avoided cold meats, cheeses and almost all salads. Perhaps this was a little over cautious as plenty of guests had plates piled high with the stuff, all of which I would definately be making the most of, if in the UK. However I didn't feel it worth the risk whilst there, shame. I would only have a couple of drinks in the evening and we had the air con off over night (cooled the room down for a couple of hours before bed). But we had ice all week, used the pool lots, used the shower daily and had local spirits and cocktails, all without problems.

I did speak with probably 7 or 8 ill guests whose symptoms ranged from mild to acute. Some had been very, very careful with diet, ice, no alcohol etc. much more so than us, yet they were still ill? One or two other guests seemed unaware of the inefectiveness of Immodium etc. in certain circumstances and tried to brave it out. It has been said endless times on here that Antinol 'can' work very quickly so be prepared to try some at the first sign or visit the doctor soon. Alternatively, sit in your room for three days! Also bear in mind that your fellow guests may not be aware of this medicine...not everyone reads T/A.

One plate of food I didn't touch was the one left in the room for our late arrival. Although much appreciated, sweaty cheese, meat and salad was not something I was going to risk eating in the first 5 minutes! I should add that the hotel provide this as a free late arrival gesture, it's not an entitlement. You will be hungry when you arrive so unless the restaurant's open, maybe take some packet soup (+ water) or other easily made snacks. It's only to get you through till breakfast.

The grounds were very tidy and colourful, always being tended to. The beach was well looked after and quite safe, there were always loungers available, not sure they would be in high season though. There is a very sandy beach at Nelson's, the one in front of the hotel is quite small. You can walk into the sea without shoes but will look a little like a clumsy ballerina.

The snorkelling was fun with some good spots along the beach, there's a local reef map at the dive centre worth taking a look at. Best places seemed to be in line with the Movenpick fence and also the dive centre. We tried a 1st scuba dive there (in tandem with an instructor) which was well worth it at £40 (6m deep) plus various trips were available. Again, the staff here were friendly and professional. One word of caution when snorkelling at dusk is that the Lion fish come out to hunt...beware!

The shopping centre was like a ghost town which made me feel like I'd be pressured to buy if I looked. This couldn't be further from the truth though, as the shopkeepers were very friendly and didn't mind if you walked away, so go and take a look inside! The hotel was a little expensive for gifts, cigs and bottled water but there is a good tax free shop right at the far end of the shopping centre, or you can go to the tax free shop just inside the border (without going into Israel) but take your passport. A bottle of water here was about 65p, in the hotel it was at least £1.65.

The hotel was only about 60% capacity and only once did we encounter someone pushing in, you can either get worked up about it or ignore it! Most guests were Israeli, then Russians/E. Europeans followed by a small number of Brits. The welcome cocktail party hosted by the manager and key staff was very pleasant and also proved to be a handy way to make friendships with fellow brits.

Overall, I was very pleased with the hotel and impressed by the attitude of the staff, often thinking how much the UK service industry could learn from their genuine dedication to service. We made some good friends and loved the guaranteed great weather. We took a couple of trips out but really didn't need to, plenty of fun and relaxation on site. It was a bit of a shame others were ill and I would have liked to be a bit braver with food etc. but it worked for us.

As for kids, it's obviously not Disneyland but if yours are anything like my 11 yr old, they are perfectly happy just playing in sand. The pool & beach games, snorkelling, playgrounds and even ping pong! kept him more than happy. The Dolphin Reef between Taba and Eillat was great, very relaxing and only about $18 for 2 people I think (taxi was $5 each way). However departure tax at Israel was extortionate at $52 for 2 people followed by Egyptian 'you've been to Israel' tax at LE75 each.

I wouldn't hesitate in recomending Taba Hilton and look forward to our soonest return.

4 Thank Sandy123Uk
MartinRogers, General Manager at Taba Hotel and Nelson Village, responded to this review, June 10, 2009
Many thanks for your Trip Advisor Review, your comments are appreciated. I am sure that many future guests will appreciate your detailed review. We opened the Nelson lunch on requests we recieved at the Managers Cocktails party - the main request was that guests wanted somewhere to eat by the beach (where they can still sit in swim wear and relax) - and guess which nationality asked for 'chips, pizza, burger etc ? regards Martin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Peterborough
Reviewed June 2, 2009

I booked our R & R week 6 weeks prior to departure through http://www.eshores.co.uk Travel Consultants - Nadine was extremely professional and most efficient - I told her I would like to stay at Taba Hilton following reviews on TA and equally as important, knowing that the hotel had an English Manager who was taking on board his guests reviews, good or bad and acting on them in a businesslike manner. Most creditable.

Nadine explained on arrival at Taba Airport we would be met by a Longwoods Rep. Indeed we were, and a very polite, knowledgeable Rep explained about the security procedures in place at the airport - ie until the arrivals hall of the airport is clear of passengers, no one can leave for their hotels as the coaches have to be escorted off the airport grounds.

On arrival at the hotel you are taken to a security area where the cases are scanned then left to be brought to your room.

At reception we were welcomed by Amr - who warmly greeted us with a smile and a welcome drink and the offer of an upgrade to Nelson Village. We had booked a room with a sea view and balcony in the main hotel but the having read other reviews about the peace & tranquility of Nelson we gratefully accepted. Our room was on the 2nd floor and was bathed in gorgeous sunshine from sun rise until it set behind the mountain around 7pm.

We met Martin (Manager) on one of his regular strolls around the hotel grounds - he was keen to investigate how we had been missed off the invitation list to attend his weekly cocktail meeting to prevent a recurrence with future invitations. Despite our meeting with him being totally unplanned, he was more than happy to stand and chat and share with us how he wants to develop the hotel.

One change he had made was to introduce a dress code for dinner - in priniciple my husband and I would support this. However, we were caught out because having travelled to many hot countries, tailored gents shorts such as those allowed on golf courses were all that my husband had packed for this hot break but they were not allowed in the Restaurants. However, 3/4 length trousers were, which in my opinion do not compare in smartness. Fortunately he had travelled in jeans which were allowed.

He also mentioned the beach, which as some reviewers have mentioned is a little disappointing in terms of stones. Apparently around spring time the tides cause waves which in turn drag the sand back into the sea - once these tides have subsided a new beach will be delivered - in the meantime I would definately recommend you get yourselves some beach shoes. But once in the sea it is truly amazing - some people said they saw more fish on the house reef between Hilton and Movenpick than they had seen on the snorkelling trip.

Whilst we were there new sunbeds were delivered to the beach .There are plenty of them, and I appreciate the hotel was only 60% full when we were there so the beach was far from busy with plenty of choice as to where to set up 'camp'

Regarding meals, lunchtimes we went to Nelson - superb chef and brilliant staff - must give mention to Ahmed his wife Bashna (sorry if spelt wrong) Ibrahim and Magred (sadly he left to join his fathers business in Cairo) - Wonderful wonderful people who genuinely embraced us so warmly and Magred insisted we joined him at his leaving party. Thank you.

Another ingenious thing they did was after sunset you would hear this incredible noise as this guy walked through the gardens armed with a huge smoke gun - as a result of this treatment I never got one mosquito bite - brilliant.

Many of the other reviews have mentioned the beautifully tended gardens, the pool area etc so I won't reiterate on those but if you are looking for guaranteed sunshine, warm warm nights, a team of hardworking staff who go out of their way to ensure you enjoy your holiday, then this hotel will suit your needs.

1 Thank judy_ian_9
Thank you for your TA Review. Sorry that you did not receive an invite to the Cocktails Party - hopefully we have now resolved this error. I have now received many emails asking me about the dress code. I hope the following helps:

Breakfast/Lunch in main restaurant: Shorts and Tee shirts are accepted (but please 'cover up' chests etc.

Dinner in main restaurant/ Marhaba and Nelson:

Men - 3/4 length shorts and no sleeveless shirts. (ie no football shorts)
Females - smart casual

jeans are acceptable in restaurants.

Other wise the restaurants are relaxed.

Hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

London/Hertfordshire
Reviewed June 2, 2009

We had a fantastic 2 week stay at the Taba Hilton…

I would and have highly recommended this hotel to others…

We stayed in the Nelson Village and although the rooms are a little tired, they are spacious and the beds are extremely comfortable.

The Egyptians absolutely love the British… And as this hotel has a high intake of Russians you are made to feel very special…

The Russians are a funny race but we managed to make friends with them as my partner loves his volleyball and they appreciated his volleyball skills! Although they didn’t speak a word of English and we didn’t speak a word of Russian we had some very animated body language conversations! Hilarious… 

The Russians like to pile all their food on the table at one sitting unlike the Brits who get their meals course by course… The Russians don’t like smiling much and can appear rude… If you are pleasant to them they react with courtesy… Towards the end of our stay as we entered the restaurant they would rise from their tables with big smiles and eagerly shake our hands…

The staff at this hotel go beyond the call of duty to make your stay a pleasant one…
The restaurant manager Ehab was by far the most efficient, considerate and diplomatic person I have ever met.

The pool was excellent and the animation teams were hilarious… Headed by the Great, the one and only Mojo… No one could fail to have a good time in his presence!

Standing on the beach you can see four countries… Egypt, Israel, Jordan and Saudi Arabia…
The sand is soft and there are bars and restaurants on the beach… Some of the restaurants you have to pay for as they are not on the all inclusive scheme…

The food was excellent… At breakfast the chef makes up omelettes on the griddle and by the 2nd day he knows exactly how you like them… The choice of food is vast… You will find something you like! We liked the outside grill and had the best kebabs we had ever tasted…

By the 9th day we did go down with ‘Pharaoh’s revenge’ but we had gone outside the hotel to a local café for Coffee’s so not sure how we got it… The hotel served me peppermint tea and on a positive note I lost 3lb in weight!!! There’s always a bright side!

All in all this was an excellent holiday and I would happily go back…

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank HelenesHolidays
MartinRogers, General Manager at Taba Hotel and Nelson Village, responded to this review, June 4, 2009
Thank you for your TA review and kind comments.

It is true that it is normal for Russian guests to gather all their food and place it at the table before starting their meal. This is actually how they would eat in their own country and interestingly so do the Egyptians. I am sure that are just as confused by the UK culture who keep leaving their tables throughout their meal to go the the buffet ?

All food left from the restaurants and kitchens etc is actually collected and recycled. All this food is then transported to the local Bedouin community and used to feed their goats.

kind regards, Martin
Warsaw
Reviewed June 1, 2009

The hotel is rather in "european" style - not too large, easy to get everywhere (e.g. comparing to Sharm el Sheikh resorts), although there is enough place to walk and enjoy beatiful garden. We were living in Nelson Village - bungalow part, not the main building. The biggest advantage of that was larger room with nice, spacious terrace, sea view and 20 metres to the beach distance. The Village is divided into 4 bulidings out ow which building D is the closest to the main hotel and building A is the last one. I recommend the D part as it has all the advantages of the Village and is closer to the pools and restaurants. The staff in Hilton Taba was the best I have experienced until now in Egypt (I was in Egypt 3 times before). Waiters in the bars were fantastic, friendly and helpful. I would recommend especially Tarek and Mina in the hotel bar and Azzem from the pool bar. They made our stay really great! Taba is not a place for those who like evening entertainment etc. There is nothing to do or to see outside the hotel or you should cross the border and go to Israel. The closest city (Eilat) is just 5 minutes away by taxi.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Thank you for completing a Trip Advisor Review. I am sure that many future guests will appreciate the information you have given on the Nelson Village Bedrooms. I have passed your kind comments onto Tarek, Mina and Azzem. Regards Martin
London
Reviewed May 31, 2009

Excellent location although not the sandy beach we were expecting. Sea was amazing but the all inclusive was very disappointing. I had a very poor start as I was completely ignored at reception when we checked in at 2 am as they spoke to my 20 year old daughter and would not listen to me, could not get extra pillows or anything to eat until 3.30 am. The room was big and comfortable for two adults plus one teenager, we had a sea view which was stunning, no internet in the rooms so I had to pay over £40 for 5 days, no gym or indoor pool which makes this about a 3 *, the air temperature and the boys animation team were awesome and gave us the feeling of a great holiday.
The drinks on the all inclusive were very limited and undrinkable so the lovely assistant manager allowed me to buy a bottle and put in behind the bar. Could not even get a decent tea or coffee as part of the all inclusive.
The food was ok but not the best as we also got the dreaded tummy bug as did almost everyone in resort.
We went on the sunset cruise which was a short trip to do some snorkeling, I was very concerned as my daughters friend was taken out and shown a lot of interesting wild life but my daughter was left behind which was a shame and very unfair as we had all paid the same amount.
The assistant manager and the staff were brilliant and could not do enough for you, I did not see anything of the manager!
We checked out at 6 pm and had to pay for all our soft drinks until the coach arrived, in fairness we could have had dinner but the tummy trouble had set in and I did not dare eat or drink as I was worried about the flight home.
Taba airport is an experience, it smells, had no facilities is very expensive The lights went out twice and there was not information about why our flight was delayed.
Yes I loved Egypt and the people, was not impressed with the guests from across the boarder, I would love to go back but not to the Hilton.

3 Thank DeirdreDrew
MartinRogers, General Manager at Taba Hotel and Nelson Village, responded to this review, June 2, 2009
Thank you for completing your Trip Advisor Review and your comments have been noted. I have requested the Front of Manager to review your comments about your arrival and that you felt you were ignored.

Your comments has also been passed onto the owners of the Aqua Sport Centre concerning the Sunset Cruise.

The Hotel does not advertise an indoor pool or gym and has no intention of misleading guests on this issue.

Unfortunately we are not responsible for the Airport cleanliness and services or the culture of the guests from Israel.

poznan
Reviewed May 30, 2009

Hilton Taba is just on the Egypt-Israel border and it is a good place for excursions to Israel, Jordan, to visit Sinai or even Cairo. Travel agencies from UK, Netherland, Russia, Poland, Czech R., Slovakia and Hungary used the hotel. Russian is dominating language. The hotel beach is nice in the garden.

We chose this hotel, because the hotel web pages write about windsurfing. Wind conditions are here very good. However, the hotel has no windsurfing equipment! In the water sport center one can see boards and sails, but they are very old (older than 10 years). The service man says honestly that they are too old to use and do not rent them. In the Movenpick hotel the situation is similar. In neighborhood one can not rent windsurfing equipment. So we spent our holidays lying on the beach and snorkeling (and fighting with diarrhea).

Rooms are not too large but comfortable, with good bathroom. Service keeps it clean.

Restaurant is in self-service form with plenty of dishes (usually 3 main dishes), salads, sweets, fruits, and drinks. In morning one can order fresh made scrambled eggs, omelet; at lunch the cook prepared pastas, and in the evening some barbeques. Tee is not good, it is served from a warmed pot and tee bags were always kept in it. In good restaurants there is a box with variety of tea bags (black, green, and fruit), hot water and pots - guests may prepare tee according their own preference. This restaurant serves one sort of tee only (no mint tee so good in Egypt). Waiters serve drinks, but their service is very different – sometimes quick, often we ordered 3 times and waited more than 15 minutes. Much better service is on the beach and the pool.

Faraon’s revenge (traveler's diarrhea) was a main problem for 3 days for whole our group. 10 persons were attacked by faraon’s revenge, two needed a medical help with drips and injections. The patients complained for medical service in the hotel and they went to a doctor in the neighborhood Movenpick hotel. Earlier we spent a week in Israel, some others in Jordan, but sanitary conditions are much higher in those countries than in Egypt. Such the situation could not happened in Europe. If so many persons were infected in a restaurant in Europe, it would be an extensive sanitarian control of preparation of meals and search for a bacterium which was responsible for illness. Here, one assumes that bacteria flora of guests is not accommodated to Egyptian bacteria flora. After our experience we warn families with kids if they plan to visit the hotel, because it would be very dangerous for their health.

1 Thank bogdanb
MartinRogers, General Manager at Taba Hotel and Nelson Village, responded to this review, May 31, 2009
Thank you for completing your TA review. I have discussed the issue regarding the Aqua Sports facilities within the Taba City area (which provide both the Hilton and Movenpick).

I have noted your comments concerning Faraon's revenge during your visit and was surpised that you did not visit the Hotel Doctor on site. I have contacted the Doctor at Movenpick for some assistance and details of what was the cuase of your illness, but unfortunately he has stated that no guests from my Hotel have visited him. Under the Data Protetection act he is not obliged to pass me any further details. The Hilton Hotel operates under the Hilton Corporation Health and Safety Standards which are used in America and Europe, they are monitored on a regular basis.

It would be wrong for my to agree or disagree with you concerning your comments on Egypt's bacteria flora and I am sure that if you monitor the Influenfa A (H1N1) you have visited countries that have experienced this outbreak, which also include a high amount of Euorpean Countries. This does not mean that any of these countries have not completed extensive sanitarian control ?

Hertfordshire UK
Reviewed May 30, 2009

Just been to Taba Hilton 18May-25May. During the visit my wife suffered from acute Gastroenteritis and has still not recovered. Mine was not so acute. We have been to the Doctor since and are waiting for results. There were few other guests that had similar illness. Please also read all reports on Movenpick Hotel. This hotel is next door to Hilton. There seems to be big problem in Taba region. On the flight back many other people from other hotels had similar problems.
The best way to avoid this is – don’t visit the area!
Gaviscon is not the answer!
I will update this report once we get the Doctor’s results.

2 Thank Jyotindra
Thank you for completing the Trip advisor Review and thank you for meeting me on a number of occassions at the Hotel to discuss your wife's illness. I am glad to see that you have seeked further medical assistance on your return as we discussed. It is essential that any guests who are ill on holidat should see the Doctor for assistance and medical advice and if needs me see a Doctor on return to their own country.

As mentioned, please do not hesitate to contact me further when these results have been recieved

regards Martin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taba
Taba Sands Hotel
Isrotel Yam Suf Hotel
Movenpick Resort Taba Hotel
Sofitel Taba Heights
Strand Beach and Golf  Resort Taba Heights

Been to Taba Hotel and Nelson Village? Share your experiences!