“Great holiday in Taba”

Taba Hotel and Nelson Village
Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in Taba
Reviewed April 30, 2009

We booked AI with Libra in late February to travel during Easter. We had been to Luxor, Cairo a number of times, we chose Taba to get a trip Petra, try Snorkelling and have a rest. Flights with Viking, Taba airport pick up, timing all very good.

When we arrived at the Hilton (late evening) we were offered room upgrade from the main hotel to Nelson Village for c£50. We viewed both options and readily took the upgrade. Great decision - we loved the look and feel of Nelson Village, proximity beach & gardens. It is only a short walk to the main hotel which has the main restaurant, pool and bars. We thought the main hotel somewhat unattractive form the outside but fine inside. The buffet food was as good or better than we have had in say Luxor, however service getting a drink particularly during the evening meal was very poor. Tipping made no difference and we saw some people frustrated to the point of trying to serve themselves.
But, we must say that the service from every other Hilton employee we met was excellent. We did not use the pool, the beach was great, snorkelling by the fence seperating the Hilton with the Movenpick was amazing, but we are novices.

Trips - we like to be independant, in Luxor we would hire a Taxi for say a day and do what we want to do. In Taba, this is very difficult, perhaps not possible to do. But, this is what we did:
Eilat - The Hilton is literally metres from the Israeli border, so we went to Eilat, which was fun for a day. We also wanted to check if we could cross through Israel to get to Petra in Jordon. At the border, It took us 90 mins to get into Israel and 40 mins to back to Egypt C£30 each in fees. The taxi into Eilat was good value at £10. The taxi driver offered to pick us up, take us to Jordan border hand us over to a Jordan taxi etc. We would definetly have gone for this but for the time spent on at the border.
Petra - we booked with Libra in Taba, we went through the intinerary in detail with their courier and were assured of 3.5 to 4 hours at the Petra site. We knew it might be going wrong when our pick up was 1 hour later than others tours and then we waited over 1 hour for the boat to get across to Aqaba. We ended up with 2 hours 20 mins at Petra site, as the trip was c £175 each, pretty poor value and Petra is such an amazing place we need to go again but find a different way. We did complain to the courier who promised to get back to us, but didn't.
Finally, if you want to go to Taba, we thoroughly recomend the Hilton, but try an get a room in Nelson Vilage. Any questions? Then let us know.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kbpop123
MartinRogers, General Manager at Taba Hotel and Nelson Village, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2009

Thank you for your Trip Advisor Review. The Nelson Village bedrooms have a fantastic location on the beach front within beautiful planted grounds. During April the Hotel was very busy at over 92% and we would like to apolgise that the drinks service was not up to standard in the main restaurant. kind regards Martin

There are newer reviews for Taba Hotel and Nelson Village

Reviewed April 29, 2009

Having visited Sharm 2 years ago and having a great experience there,,, we thought, that in Egypt, that probably wouldn't be matched !! How wrong we were ......... the Hilton Taba experience was faultless.
We were looking for a relaxing break with first class facilities and good weather, we found all three and if we were to look for any criticism, the only one would be the behaviour of the russian and polish guests who at times were a little arrogant to say the least.
It was a shock when we arrived at the airport to find it really cold, but then learned that this was due to the altitude of the location and the 30 minute coach trip down to Taba soon cured the chill.
We would certainly recommend this resort for anyone seeking a relaxed sunfilled break with good food and drink.

2  Thank terryt0901
MartinRogers, General manager at Taba Hotel and Nelson Village, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2009

Many thanks for your TA Review. I think every one has a slight surprise when they land at the Taba Airport, but as you mention - a drive down to the Sinai coast and the weather improves to what you were expecting. Kind regards Martin

Reviewed April 28, 2009

I went to the Hilton in Taba for one weeks holiday in April

The hotel itself is beautiful and the grounds and rooms are well kept. The all inclusive holiday is mostly buffet style meals which had a variety of foods, catring for all. They did have other restaurants you could use and would highly recommend Nelson's - the staff there were excellent and the food was good.

The animation team were great. In particular Mojo and Sam. They were fantastic and now have me hooked on Water Volleyball and Aerobics. They really made my holiday.

I would definately recommend this holiday and hotel and am hoping to re-book for later in the year.

Overall it was great all round !!!!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank CarlyLA
MartinRogers, General Manager at Taba Hotel and Nelson Village, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2009

Thank you for completing a Trip Advisor Review on the Taba Hilton and Nelson Village Resort. Great to see that you had an enjoyable holiday. The Nelson Village Restaurant is becoming very popular with the guests due to the beach location and Tex
Mex food. Thank you for the comments about the animation team. Regards Martin

Reviewed April 24, 2009

We booked the Taba Hilton 3 days before travelling through Peltours. The flights with Jet2 from Manchester, the transfer to the hotel, and the check in at the hotel were extremely efficient and stress free.

The hotel itself was faultless. The security was excellent but not intrusive. The staff helpful, polite and well presented. The food was fantastic and varied, with a theme each evening. We stayed for a week and ate at the Marhaba, Nelsons Bar and Casa Taba four of the seven nights but the buffet on the remaining evenings and on a lunch was better than any other all inclusive resort I have stayed at.

The hotel has a burea de change so it was easy to change money or even withdraw some from the cash machine there if you are running short. As we went for a relaxing holiday we didn't do any trips but would certainly consider it in the future.

I have to give a special mention to Mina who worked at the pool bar and the rainbow bar in the evening. He was beyond helpful. I didn't have to get up to go to the bar at all, if he saw me or our friends get off our loungers he came running over to get our orders. When i insisted going to the bar myself he even carried my glass back to the lounger. Above and beyond the call of duty but much appreciated. A total credit to the hotel.

Yes, we tipped but i have to say the staff do not appear to expect it like i have found at other hotels. I do recommend you tip though as they work incredibly hard.

The only gripes I have is being charged a supplement for a room with a balcony and not being allowed wine as par of the all inclusive in the rainbow bar.

We went snorkelling and as we went after lunch the man insisted we take the snorkles for the next morning too, little touches that other places wouldn't consider necessary but every thing added to the value of the stay.

We had an amazing time at the Hilton and would not heistate to recommend it.

3  Thank Lupodog
MartinRogers, General Manager at Taba Hotel and Nelson Village, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2009

Many thanks for your Trip advisor Review. I have passed your comments onto Mina at the pool bar and he was really happy to hear them. I am glad you had a relaxing holiday and hope you have the opportunity to return again in the future. Martin

Reviewed April 23, 2009

We have just returned from two weeks at the Hilton Taba.  The weather was great, very hot and just what we were after.  The hotel, unfortunately, did not really live up to our expectations or the amazing reviews we had read (which played a big part in choosing this hotel).  So although we did have a good time, it was not the great time we had been looking forward to.  Having stayed at Hilton hotels in Egypt some six times now, this is by far the poorest.  Some of the staff are great and really work very hard.  Others, by contrast, were rude, disinterested or just completely ignored you and in the main dining restaurant were clearly unable to keep up with the demands of a full and busy hotel.  I don’t think this is a 5 or 4 star hotel, but closer to a 3 (by Egyptian standards, not UK).  The standard room supposed to cover our family of 4 was too small and upon arrival we upgraded to a suite which was wonderful but obviously a huge cost we had not anticipated.  Breakfast was chaotic but tolerable whereas the lunch and evening service at times became so off putting we ended up not eating at all.  Room service, which you obviously had to pay for, was good and we used that several evenings.  The other two evening restaurants part of the AI package were good and we enjoyed eating in both the Marhaba and Nelson (although the food in the Nelson was rushed by you at breakneck speed).  The Casa (Italian/seafood which is not part of the AIl deal) was very good and we had a lovely meal here.  Food and service both outstanding and by far the best meal of the holiday.  Some parts of the AI package were odd though.  We were told we could only have one small plastic cup of milk for our young daughter’s night bottle and that any more would have to be paid for.  You can have as much vodka as you like, but go steady on the milk.  This was eventually resolved after my husband spoke to the restaurant manager who kindly intervened with the bar staff and my daughter was allowed to have her nightly bottle of milk.  Drinks only become part of the AI package from 11am and that also included water, depending on who was serving you.  The pool area is quite cramped and was not cleaned well every day ...... ice cream stains, sticky patches from spilt drinks etc often remained for several days.  Our thoughts of the beach area are along similar lines.  The kids club was quite a disappointment.  There was a complete list of activities that should have occurred every day ......... I say should have as on the 8 or 9 days my children dropped by for various parts of the day, not once did the schedule happen.  I did query this on several occasions but couldn’t get a definitive explanation.  At one stage, I took them away as the club had descended into a scene akin to a WWE wrestling match.  Compared to other clubs, it really was a very poor effort (they were evening refused drawing paper once our own paper had all been used up).  The chief animation leader, Mojo, is great though.  He works so hard to entertain guests, has a great personality and really stands out amongst other members of staff.  My younger daughter wanted to marry him!  I hate to sound so negative as we did have a good time but that was more due to the weather and spending time just having fun with the kids.  If I say, “good time but wish we had gone back to either Sharm or Hurghada” , then I guess that sums it up.  I’m not even going to mention the 21 hour flight delay on the way home .........

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank annsand69

Thank you for your constructive feedback on the Trip advisor Review. I am sorry that we failed to reach your expectations during your recent holiday. I have raised the issues concerning the pool cleanliness with the Head Housekeeping. Whilst the pool is already emptied three times a week, he will ensure that he personally inspects it each time. I have also passed your comments onto Mojo concerning the Kid's Club and he will investigate these matter immediately. I am glad to see that you found the additional restaurants on the All Inclusive Programme enjoyable. You are correct that the Hotel opeartes and advertises a All Inclusive programme which operates from 11am to 11pm in the evening.

Reviewed April 21, 2009

We stayed at the Hilton for 2 weeks beginning of April and I can honestly say this was my best holiday. The animation team; Mojo, Luca & new DJ Wessem were excellant, the disco in the evening was especially lively. The service at the pool bar was excellant, thanks to blue eyed Azzam. All staff were helpful & friendly, the managers especially Shift manager Syed was brilliant. The egg man made the best eggs ever. The weather was hot, the Russians were fine, but I did find alot of Israelis (who did not have the best manners), but my holiday was very good and I would recommend this holiday if you want a bit more entertainment. We left the hotel just before 6pm and as we requested a late check out AI was valid upto 3pm.

Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank elvismum
MartinRogers, General Manager at Taba Hotel and Nelson Village, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2009

Many thanks for your kind Trip Advisor Review. I have passed your comments onto the Team members, who will appreciate them. It was nice to hear that you enjoyed your holiday and we hope to welcome you back in the future. Martin

Reviewed April 20, 2009

I hesitate to write this review as I hope that it will stay a great value. The Taba Hilton may be the best value I've encountered (I've visited 88 countries). The reason that it's a great value is twofold--it was the site of a terrorist attack in which a number of people were killed some years ago and it's "a long way from anywhere else." However, it's well worth the trip (we drove from Cairo--about a five-and-a-half hour easy drive) but you can get there from Eilat, Israel (the hotel is at the Israeli border and you can walk into Eilat, which has lots to do)--which has El Al flights from Paris or to Taba by charters from Manchester and elsewhere that bring you to directly Taba. The hotel has great security so despite the history we never felt the least bit anxious. Many travelers from UK, Germany and Israel but we met no other Americans. The grounds are great as is the somewhat narrow beach on the Red Sea/Gulf of Aqaba. Big pool. Many Acitivities for kids. Many restaurants (excellent Italian), pub on the beach, beach bar, etc. Breakfast in main hotel was exceptionally good--as good as we've encountered even the in the most expensive hotels/resorts. Staff very friendly and helpful and the conscierge was exceptional. Taba's location allows easy day trips to Petra, Jordan (highly recommended) and Jerusalem/Masada/Dead Sea (also highly recommended)--and hotel staff were able to arrange private trips for less money than indicated on the Internet for group/bus trips. You can also arrange a trip to St.Catherine and Mt. Sinai from Taba. We went there for five days at the start of a 22 day trip to Egypt and plan to go back with the Taba Hilton being the destination for a week or ten days at the beach.

3  Thank LincolnshireSteve

Thank you for completing a Trip Advisor review. Taba is a very good destination to arrange various trips to Egypt and other countires. I am glad to enjoyed the Casa Taba Italian Restaurant, I will pass your comments onto Salem the restaurant manager. Kind regards Martin

Also consider these accommodations in or near Taba
Taba Sands Hotel
#11 of 61 in Eilat
Movenpick Resort Taba
Sofitel Taba Heights
Strand Beach and Golf  Resort Taba Heights

Been to Taba Hotel and Nelson Village? Share your experiences!