“Hilton Hotel--TABA, EGYPT--incredible value”

Taba Hotel and Nelson Village
Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in Taba
Reviewed April 20, 2009

I hesitate to write this review as I hope that it will stay a great value. The Taba Hilton may be the best value I've encountered (I've visited 88 countries). The reason that it's a great value is twofold--it was the site of a terrorist attack in which a number of people were killed some years ago and it's "a long way from anywhere else." However, it's well worth the trip (we drove from Cairo--about a five-and-a-half hour easy drive) but you can get there from Eilat, Israel (the hotel is at the Israeli border and you can walk into Eilat, which has lots to do)--which has El Al flights from Paris or to Taba by charters from Manchester and elsewhere that bring you to directly Taba. The hotel has great security so despite the history we never felt the least bit anxious. Many travelers from UK, Germany and Israel but we met no other Americans. The grounds are great as is the somewhat narrow beach on the Red Sea/Gulf of Aqaba. Big pool. Many Acitivities for kids. Many restaurants (excellent Italian), pub on the beach, beach bar, etc. Breakfast in main hotel was exceptionally good--as good as we've encountered even the in the most expensive hotels/resorts. Staff very friendly and helpful and the conscierge was exceptional. Taba's location allows easy day trips to Petra, Jordan (highly recommended) and Jerusalem/Masada/Dead Sea (also highly recommended)--and hotel staff were able to arrange private trips for less money than indicated on the Internet for group/bus trips. You can also arrange a trip to St.Catherine and Mt. Sinai from Taba. We went there for five days at the start of a 22 day trip to Egypt and plan to go back with the Taba Hilton being the destination for a week or ten days at the beach.

3  Thank LincolnshireSteve
MartinRogers, General Manager at Taba Hotel and Nelson Village, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2009

Thank you for completing a Trip Advisor review. Taba is a very good destination to arrange various trips to Egypt and other countires. I am glad to enjoyed the Casa Taba Italian Restaurant, I will pass your comments onto Salem the restaurant manager. Kind regards Martin

Reviewed April 19, 2009

My family and I have been coming to Taba for almost 10 years and the level of service at the Hilton is one of the reasons for our return. On my recent trip I had injured my back prior to the holiday and the hotel staff could not have been kinder helping me at meal times and setting up my sun lounger for me. The hotel is older than some in the area but its rooms are spotless and being older it has the advantage of being built closer to the beach. In other hotels what may appear to be a short walk can feel a lot longer when you are in the summer sun! There have been a couple of changes since my last visit and the Marharaba and Nelson restaurants now both offer a set menu for all inclusive guests. In the past I have loved the food at the Marharaba but have found the large helpings just too much so the set menu is ideal for the british palate and I can assure you that you won't feel hungry especially if you try the superb freshly baked flat bread. If you are thinking of trying diving for the first time then there is no better place to learn. I would advise you to do a trial dive at the start of the holiday so if you want to do your PADI course you have time to complete it as it takes several days. Both the boat and shore diving are excellent and the dive instructors are fantastic. If you are a non swimmer then the Animation team have plenty of activities on offer from stretch classes to Arabic lessons. There is not a lot to do in the evenings but if you are looking for a relaxing holiday with service service in a beautiful location then this is ideal.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
4  Thank seahorse3
MartinRogers, General Manager at Taba Hotel and Nelson Village, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2009

Many thanks for completing your Trip Advisor Review. I hope that the changes in the Hotel improve the guests satisfaction. Now that the summer is arriving we have a couple more changes to add which should improve the facilities in the evening. We look forward to welcoming you back. regards Martin

Reviewed April 13, 2009

We stayed here at the end of March after searching for a 2 week beach holiday with guaranteed good weather at this time of year. It turned out to be a good choice - sunny & hot every day, perfect for sunbathing & snorkling. The hotel staff are excellent, very friendly & always willing to help. We were never short of drinks due to the excellent service by Amr working at the beach bar by day & hotel bar by night. Mohammad the Restaurant Manager also ensured we were looked after. Luca from the Animation Team had a busy schedule each day organising volleyball, yoga, evening entertainment & belly dancing! I recommend the yoga - a perfect way to unwind on the beach under the palm trees.

Our minds were put at rest regarding any possibily of "holiday belly" at this hotel. The staff advised that all salads/fruit are washed in purified water & all water served in the restaurants/bars is bottled. We also received a large complimentary bottle of water in our room each day. The buffet restaurant offered a good choice of food & the option to dine at the Nelson or Marhaba for evening meals was also included in the all-inclusive package - again you couldnt fault the staff at these two restaurants they were very friendly & welcoming.

We would recommend changing money in the hotel as the exchange rate was higher there than at home. Best to take english pounds & change money as you go.

The all-inclusive package is good value for money due to the quantity & quality of food & drink available. We would definately recommend this hotel, we hope to make a return visit one day.

3  Thank Marsa17
MartinRogers, General Manager at Taba Hotel and Nelson Village, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2009

Thank you for you TA Review and I have passed on your comments to the team.
The Hotel has 2 banks within the Lobby area and the exchange rate is normally very good and I would also suggest to other guests to only bring a limited amount of Egyptian Pounds and go to the bank to withdraw more when you need it. kind regards

Martin

Reviewed April 2, 2009

Don’t disagree with most of what’s already been said by recent reviewers so we will only add comments on things that haven’t been mentioned recently…

1: Our trip was 21 – 28th March, arranged with Peltours … they sent us “10 Commandments for a good holiday”. Read them… they are wise words !
2: Flight was with Monarch. Boeing 757 from Gatwick. Not much
legroom! If you’re tall, you will be uncomfortable for 5 hours. Find out if there’s a seat upgrade.
3: Met at TABA airport by the Peltours rep. and we were delivered to
hotel reception within 70 mins of landing. A smooth exit from the airport, coach ride and check-in at the Hilton… nothing to worry about.
4: Go to the ‘Welcome briefing’. Lots of useful and important info.
5: All staff were welcoming, friendly and courteous. I’m sure it’s challenging for them sometimes.
6: The gardening staff deserve a mention – colourful flowers, grounds are very well kept, clean and tidy, including the waters edge.
7: Animation team and activities seem to get mixed reviews. Go with an open mind. Remember you are not in the West-End or at Butlins. They are hard-working, fun and seem eager to deliver a good experience to their multi-national guests (and most were not from the UK). There’s stuff going on all day long. You can practice yoga, learn Arabic, try belly-dancing… etc
8: The sun will burn … don’t be fooled by any cool breezes. Plenty of suncream essential.
9: Sea was a bit chilly for our liking… glad we took a thin wetsuit (but were in the minority by far). Water temp was: 21C
10: If you forget anything, chances are the small bazaar of shops within Hilton’s grounds will have what you want. Includes pharmacy, bank, souvenirs, swimming equipment etc.
11: £-exchange rate at the hotel bank was at least as good as any rate we’d seen in the UK a few days earlier.

12: Struggling to find anything negative to report… but two points worth mentioning:
poolside and beachside drinks served in small plastic cups – a few gulps and you need another ! No doubt there’s a good reason for this, but it is a bit irritating
and
AI ends at 12:00 on your last day and you get de-wrist-banded. Unfortunately lunch doesn’t start until 13:00. Departure for airport was at 17:00 Would have been nice if you could have a leisurely lunch during your last few hours. Pleased to read that this may be included in future.

Finally…
consider getting an underwater camera pouch… We used a simple plastic flexible camera case that was waterproof to 5mts. Snorkelling is a lot more fun (and challenging) when you can take pics. of fish and coral.

Photos:
the 1st couple were in Movenpicks grounds.
Underwater pics have been auto-enhanced to add ‘red’.

7  Thank SennenCoveUK
MartinRogers, General Manager at Taba Hotel and Nelson Village, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2009

Many thanks for your kind review. I am am happy to say that we have changed the All Inclusive package to include the lunch on departure. I am also glad to say that the sea temperature is now warming up. Martin

Reviewed March 31, 2009

We spent a week here 21 - 28 Mar 2009 with our 18 month old son. We were a bit nervous about the AI thing having never done it before but we couldn't really fault the hotel...
The rooms are slightly dated but spotlessly clean and refreshed daily, toiletries, water, towels (if you want) etc.
The breakfasts were outstanding - full marks in particular to the pastry chef - I have never seen such a variety - and to the omelette maker who worked non-stop! Fresh fruit and salads were always available, and the dishes were replaced as soon as they were running low. Lunches and dinners were also good, and we loved being able to 'reserve' a table at the Nelson and the Marhaba which were both excellent and made a nice change from the Palm Court.
Our 18 month old son was given so much attention I fear he is spoilt for life - the waiters, entertainment staff etc were so kind in looking after him and cleaning up after him with a big smile - we really really appreciate how genuine everyone was.
The pools were spotless, the snorkelling was brilliant, I had an excellent massage in the Relaxation Centre and did yoga every day which was really relaxing.

Criticisms? Can't really think of any - it does what is says on the tin - the sun shone, the sea was blue, the beer was cold - oh and there was plenty of space in hammocks and loungers everywhere...

Thanks for a great week at a very reasonable price.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank Travelmum23

Thank you for completing a TA review, your comments are appreciated. I am glad to see that you 18 month old son had a great time and above all that you were able to relax as well. I know that as parents we are always concerned about our children when we visit other countries. many thanks Martin

Reviewed March 30, 2009

My daugther and I stayed at the Hilton Taba last week. We booked last minute and after reading the reviews we were really looking forward to going. We were not disappointed at all, on arrival the hotel staff were extremely helpful and friendly and we were checked in very fast. Everywhere was spotless across the whole resort. The grounds were immaculate and the second you put down an empty cup a member of staff was there to pick it up. The swimming pool was regularly emptied and cleaned. There was a very wide variety of food and even my extremely fussy daughter could always find something to eat. All of the staff were extremely polite and couldn't do enough to help you. Ahmed in the Palm Court restaurant was very efficient and helpful as were the rest of the staff. The option of set menu at the Nelson restaurant was good but Casa Taba was fantastic and is definately worth paying extra for on one night of your holiday. The staff in the bars were very friendly (Hany and Ayman in particular and El fah....I'm unsure of how to spell his name but he is very tall and has a good sense of humour, he works in the rainbow bar please pass on our thanks) and quickly remembered our drinks preferences! Our cleaner was very nice and we came back to our room every day to find flowers or animals made out of the towels. Mojo and Luca were really great, they made the holiday very entertaining, they were really energetic and enthusiastic and offered lots of activities to join if with if you wished to such as belly dancing, yoga, volley ball and arabic lessons. Our only criticism is that all inclusive is not 24 hour, however we spoke to the manager, Martin Rogers, at length and he assured us that this was the norm for the area, he also told us that he had lots of plans for improving the hotel further. I know it is outside of the control of the hotel but some of the Russian guests seemed to lack basic manners and made the staffs work a lot harder, however they dealt with this fantastically. The snorkelling was great and you could literally go in straight off the beach to see the lovely coral you didn't need to go out on a boat trip. Not a hotel for those looking for buzzing nightlife but I would really recommend this hotel to anyone thinking of going to Egypt and will definately be going back in future!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank car0l_uk

Many thanks for your TA review. I have passed on your kind comments to all the relevant team members. Unfortunately our All Inclusive package does end at 11pm in the evening as you have mentioned. I can only agree with you about the excellent 'luck' of having such coral reefs located on our beach.

Reviewed March 26, 2009

My husband and i have just returned from 2 weeks at the Hilton in Taba. We did saty in the Nelson part which i would highly recommend. Its about a 3 minute walk to the main hotel, but its nice to be away from it all, and the views are amazing as you can see from the photo taken whilst sat in bed. Rooms are very clean tidy and a good size, with 3 very good english movie chanels, as the entertainment ist that great but they did try very hard. We became very good friends with Luca and MoJo from the entertainment team, they are lovely guys who work very very hard.
There isnt much in the local area unless you want to cross the boarder to Elait, but there is quite a few excurtions you can do. The beach was the best part, clean and the snorkeling was the best i have ever seen, a coral reef a few metres off the beach, the photos didnt do it justice, we spent hours in there.
Take a bag of £1 coins, and tip everyother day, it really pays off, the waiter who comes round the beach asking if you want drinks would always bring double of whatever we asked for, and even brought us water over whithout us asking.
The only problem i had was the food, and most of it my fault, im a VERY VERY fussy eater, i like my chips and pizza, but chips were only on the lunch menu, and 3 times aweek, the bread and salad selection was excellent, but not that much to choose from for the main course, the al a carte restaurants were nice espicially the Nelson. We did speak to the manager Martin Rogers and he was brilliant, nothing was too much trouble he personally made sure that i had a meal that i would eat every night, and that made my Holiday, so thank you Martin.
I would take the time to learn a few words of arabic, my husband spoke quite a lot, they they seamed very very shocked but they seamed to really appreciate it, again like the tips it all helps.
Beware of the Russians they out number the brits 10/1, they are pretty rude, they will barge through the door, push in at the buffet food and take your table at diner if your not careful, we tried being polite it just doesnt work, so give as good as you get, its quite fun.
Beware if you a big drinker the All Inclusive finishes at 11pm, and there is 300% tax on alcohol in egypt after that time, so start early.
We didnt have a bad tummy or get bitten once. The weather was brillant around 30 degrees every day and a breeze that took the heat down abit.
Overall one the best places i have been. I would highly recommend this hotel. But if you have kids aged between 5-15 maybe it wouldn't be the best, not much for the kids to do.
We did wonder into the Movenpick hotel next door, its the same company but it was so big and the beach was more stoney, and the main hotel was quite away from the beach, personally the Hilton was better.
Feel free to ask and questions.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple

Thank you for spending the time and completing a TA Review, your comments are appreciated. I am glad to see that we were able to help with your dining arrangements, so that you could enjoy your visit. Mojo would like to thank you for your comments on the review. Kind regards Martin

Also consider these accommodations in or near Taba
Taba Sands Hotel
#11 of 61 in Eilat
Movenpick Resort Taba
Sofitel Taba Heights
Strand Beach and Golf  Resort Taba Heights

Been to Taba Hotel and Nelson Village? Share your experiences!