“Excellent”

Ranked #4 of 22 Hotels in Taba
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Spent a week here with friends, yes it's very quiet at the moment due to the troubles in Egypt , however there is no trouble here at all. The staff are amazing, helpful & extremely grateful for your custom, they bend over backwards to make your stay memorable. The General Manager is a very polite and happy man by the name of Chris, & where else would you get the GM (on his day off ) come to the beach & take you snorkelling without you asking him too !!! Food was plentiful, with plenty of variety and taste.
On arrival our check in was quick and efficient and to our surprise we were upgraded to the Nelson Village with compliments of the Hilton, our room had stunning views across the beach , the gardens and surrounding areas are clean, and kept immaculate. Ahmed Reda was always happy and ready with your drinks at the Beach Bar, always cracking a joke or too, same goes for the boys in the main bar, they were always ready to serve, I do feel sorry for the staff, as the resort s quiet they are obviously short of clients to attend to , yet, never did they appear bored, or sour faced.
Hats off to you and your staff Mr Sherman, a very well run hotel under such hard times.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Paul-Magda
ChrisSherman, General Manager at Taba Hotel and Nelson Village, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Many thanks for your detailed reply on Trip Advisor. I have passed your comments onto all the relevant team members.

We really appreciate your positive notes related to various type of service provided to you during your stay. It is a lovely country and I have a feeling more and more people will visit in the future years.

We are all looking forward to welcoming you back again as you promised to our lovely resort.

Chris Sherman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Oh dear where do I start.
Let me break this down item by item. This is not a 5* Hotel and by the worst hotel I have stayed in Egypt and I have been to many of them. I can even rate a YMCA bunk house as being cleaner than this hotel
1. Check in
We arrived at the hotel just before 10pm; the initial name was in my wife’s maiden name however she was classified as a Mr rather than a Miss. This was booked in her name as we had recently got married and she has not had the chance to change her passport. We changed the booking title on the form, but the reception did not change the name on the database as several times I was called by the wrong name.
From the initial check in we were given the opportunity of upgrading the room to either a Sea View or to the Nelsons Apartments. One an extra $25 per day, or the other an extra $35 per day. The standard room we were shown was right behind the casino sign. After seeing the sea view I thought this would be nice for my wife as it was our first trip away as a married couple. Oh why did I ever change this!! Especially as the hotel was barely half full. I was able to see a guest list within the hotel so I could see the numbers staying there.
We were also told that the food was still being served, no it was not as they were packing the serving trollies and tables away. I had to request room service to provide us some food, which was a selection of 2 cold meats and a couple of rolls. In addition, there was no water in the room, again which I had to request.
I had to do the complaining as when my wife wanted to express her dissatisfaction they ignored her. I appreciate that this is a Muslim country, but the Hilton Group is American and since when were women ignored?
One point is that why was a free upgrade not given as standard based on the low occupancy of the hotel? It does not cost any more to clean a room, but gives the customer a better experience.
2. Room
We did upgrade the room to a sea view. This was not a pleasant experience.
The room was tired and imagine to my surprise a toe nail clipping next to the small table. I decided to see how long it took for the room to be cleaned properly. Guess what, that clipping was still there when we checked out!!!!
The lock on the safe failed; the door limiter screws came out from the door. After complaining, this was allegedly fixed but one evening I closed the door and it popped off.
The fire exit sign fixed to the door fell off. This was the last straw. As my complaint to the General Manager (see below) fell on deaf ears. I went down to reception on Thursday morning and requested to meet with the front of house manager he was not there so I met with the night manager. He was the only manager to understand our concerns and actually took notes of my meeting. I wanted a refund on the upgrade that I paid, however he was reluctant to do this but, I was advised that I could have a further free upgrade to the Nelson Village. This meant packing and repacking, in our minds not adequate compensation for the suffering we went through. In the end the night manager did give me a refund but what rigmarole when you are trying to relax
3.Food
This area was poor; the food selection was worse than any other hotel I have stayed at. Consider this: - A 5* hotel serving rehydrated potato flakes as proper mash!!!!
The evening meals were bland, it is nothing to write home about, apart from the lady who made fresh local bread each evening and the Tex-Mex
As I have a severe allergy to seafood, I was extremely disappointed about the very poor information about what the dishes were and could have easily gone into analphylaltic shock.
4. General Manager
We were invited to a General Manager Meet and greet on a Wednesday evening. The General Manager introduced himself and we explained our concerns and the problems that we had experienced on the first day.
The GM Chris Sherman said that this would all be rectified and will be dealt with. The front of house manager was also present, was made aware of our issues, and however nothing was done. With respect to the wrong name on our booking he blamed the travel agency. Funny as our flight tickets were correct, the Holiday Rep had the right names. From this all I can presume is that this Manager does not care about the paying guests and just wants good stats. It was his lack of concern about our experience that I will never book another holiday with the Hilton Group.
One evening a group of us were sitting in the bar area when the GM came over and said ‘this is the trouble makers!’ and friend said was not here trouble here. The GM then went on to ask where another one of the guests, he had gone to the casino. The GM said I hope he loses $10,000!!!! Is this really appropriate for someone in his position? Surely a response along the lines of, I hope lady luck is with him. Better still, if he hasn’t got anything nice to say, then don’t say anything at all. I did not expect a put down from someone in a senior management position.
5.Beach
This was probably the best part of the holiday. If you do decide to travel to this hotel, I would suggest wearing water shoes when entering the water.
A) The shore line is pebbly and can cause cuts as the skin softens.
B) I spotted a scorpion fish on the pebbles – these are poisonous.
Despite the numpties who thought it is great to stand on top of a pinnacle and destroy the coral, the beach was cleaned of rubbish, the sand swept daily and Faizal was fantastic by laying out towels and even placing flowers next to the sun bed of my wife as well as the great friends that we met. I could not fault his attention to detail.
6.Health Spa
My wife experienced a massage at the spa and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Other people who went to the spa came away absolutely buzzing. Note – agree on a price before hand but make sure the currency is also agreed be it sterling, Egyptian pounds, euro’s or US$
7. Bars
As being all inclusive we were aware of the local drinks policy, but we could not understand the hotel policy. Small plastic cups used in the pool and beach bars, smaller than my office vending machine. This leads to more wastage both litter and drink wastage especially as any wind would blow the cups away.
The cokes were from warm bottles and therefore warm drinks.
The cocktails in the bars were good but why in one bar were the time 7pm to 10pm and then the main bar up to 11pm. anything outside of the times we were told that we would have to pay for the drinks. I have never been to an all inclusive hotel where this is common practice.
8. Check Out
There is no place to safely store your luggage; we were told that our bags would be taken down to the security lodge. They were not; I found them tucked around the corner. Not very safe and secure for a 5* hotel and which is right on the border with Israel.
9. Entertainment
The Animation team Abby, Hasheem, Mo and Sophie, were extremely helpful, bubbly and friendly. However despite the team chatting with us during the day and pushing the events, the animation manager was absent, until the end of the stay and if we asked for anything during the evening it was pushed back by the manager.

Overall
My wife and I meet some absolutely fantastic couples at the hotel and they made our holiday.
We feel that the hotel has failed in providing us a holiday which we would have expected from the Hilton Group.
I consider that the Senior Management need to go onto the shop floor and see what the problems are and not treat customer complaints with a lax attitude.
We will never be booking with the Hilton group ever again.

By the way I do not want a standard response from someone reputing to be the General Manager to this report as this is being taken further.

Room Tip: Tip - Do not book this hotel, stay in another hotel in Taba
6 Thank Paul P
Yasser K, Director of Operations at Taba Hotel and Nelson Village, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear valuable guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hilton Taba, and I sincerely appreciate your comments regarding your stay with us.

We always welcome the guests' comments and strive to achieve the highest possible levels of service quality, so please rest assured that the customer safety and welfare are of paramount importance to us.

I am sorry to read that you had an unpleasant experience in our Hotel, and I have thoroughly read your comments regarding your stay.

As for the room upgrade, I would like to confirm that a selling strategy is implemented where we balance between the guest satisfaction and hotel revenues and I trust that the night manager has showed an exceptional gesture with the refund of the supplement you have paid.

Guest rooms are being attended regularly and on daily basis, and when I check our records I do not see that any concerns were reported to a member of the management or the floors supervisors; however your concerns are taken seriously and will be investigated further to ensure rectifiable actions are implemented as appropriate and where needed.

We also serve the meals in the open buffet, with variable themed nights and as an added value to the all-inclusive the guests may enjoy a set menu dinner with unlimited access to Nelson restaurant. We cater for different nationalities and endeavour to balance in taste and varieties.

A safe luggage store is available, with 24 hours attended service and also the x-ray area is a safe place being attended by the hotel security and the police of tourism in addition to a 24 hours CCTV system.

The hotel management and team members set high considerations of respect and value to all our guests equally and it is our intention to create a hassle free services and spare time and efforts to ensure the stay is as much pleasant and comfortable as possible.

Once again thank you, and please accept my sincere apology for any inconvenience that might have caused you during your stay. For any future reference, please contact me personally on e-mail Yasser.kamel@hilton.com

Yours sincerely,

YASSER KAMEL I Director of Operations
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Staff were soo helpful, and keen and willing to ensure our stay was as relaxing and enjoyable as it possibly could be. Especially Ahmed in Nelson's, Yasser, Ahmed and Akram from the bars too. The room was cleaned every day to an exceptional standard by Ali and we were welcomed everyday by very clever and lovely towel art. (Lovely little touch!) There was a slight problem with another guest (Mr David and his entourage), but the staff and management dealt with this in a professional and efficient manor, and as a result, our holiday was not affected! The reefs just off the beach are beautiful and bustling with marine wildlife! Amazing for diving and snorkelling. If anyone stays here please be sure to eat in Casa Taba, the food is just amazing, especially the steak and the shrimp. Great hotel, great staff, great scenery, all made a great holiday! Can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank R08HOL
Many thanks for your report on Trip Advisor and I have passed your comments onto the Team Members today (thank you). It is amazing what they can do with the towels in the bedrooms ?
Glad to see that you had a good experience in our Italian and sea food Casa Taba restaurant which you can enjoy 20% discount on food n drinks.
Glad to see you relaxed during your stay and we look forward in welcoming you back.
Warm Regards,
Reviewed October 5, 2013

I spent 10 days in Hilton Taba and Nelson's Village and cannot wait to return again. This is the perfect place if you want to relax in beautiful surroundings. The staff cannot be faulted especially housekeeping who did a brilliant job, in particular Aly who's towel art left a lovely surprise everyday. You are never far from someone who is keen to help you enjoy your stay. Ahmed in Nelson's- Ahmed, Akram and Yassa in the rainbow bar were stars however all bar and waiting staff cannot be faulted. I snorkelled for the first time and you don't need to go anywhere far to see lots of different fish.

The animation team- Mavou, Jimmy, Hesham, Sophie and Abby do a fab job of making sure everyone is okay and entertained during the day and on the evening even if it's quiet.

Mr Chris the general manager and Kariman executive PA were continually approachable for any questions and are a credit to the hotel.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank alw93
I would like to thank you for taking the time to complete the review for your recent visit to our property.
We really appreciate your positive notes related to various type of service provided to you during your stay. I will pass all your positive feedback to respective team members'

I would like to personally thank you for your feedback and we are looking forward to welcome you back soon as promised for a 2 weeks stay at our lovely paradise.
Warm Regards,
Taba, Egypt
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Got back from the Hilton Taba on the 30/09/13 and must say that overall a very good Hotel if you want that quiet relaxing holiday. The staff where very friendly and always concerned about your welfare, the food was very good, the onsite restraunts were very good and the hotel has a very convienient onsite dive centre called Aqua Sport. There are three main dive sites which are all shore accessable and the dive centre also run a hard boat that visits other various dive sites a little further south from the hotel daily. The hotel is situated right on the Egyptian Israel border and you can walk through the border with little fuss into Israel and visit Eilat town centre (taxi ride), but be aware that on return and coming back through from Israel into Egypt there are border taxes to pay, approx 105 shekels = £21 and also 75 egyptian pounds = £7.50 this will last for 10 days. All in all had an excellent time and would recomend this hotel for a sun filled relaxing holiday, would definately revisit.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Christopher J
Thank you for your kind comments. It sounds like you had a very busy holiday, I hope you still had time to relax. Visits to Eilat are always interesting; the experience of the border is always one to remember.
It is amazing what they can do with the towels in the bedrooms.

Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Excellent value for money, comfortable and quiet . Ideal for relaxing as there is little else to do. The food was a little disappointing in the main restaurant but on plus side the staff were fantastic.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank X10JMK
Many thanks for your Trip Advisor Report and it is good to see you enjoyed your holiday at the Hilton. One of the main assets to the Hotel is the staff and their attitude and they are very proud of what they do.
I will have a talk about your comments for the main restaurant to try to improve it more as we are taking it postive.
We are all looking forward to welcoming you back again soon to our lovely resort.

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed October 3, 2013

My wife and I stayed in this hotel for one night after our trip to Petra in Jordon. Our room was excellent, the food was plentiful and good, and the service could not be faulted. Even the wine prices were reasonable especially considering this is a Hilton. It appears the hotel is sold as a resort catering for mainly British and Russian holiday makers on all inclusive packages. Amenities such as the pool, beach and shopping are excellent and we would have liked to stay here for longer. Not much to do apart from swim, dive, eat , drink and lie in the sun, but who's complaining.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Adelaideview
Thank you for your Trip Advisor report. I must agree the location of Taba is ideal for visiting many other countries (Israel, Jordan, Saudi Arabia etc). Or sit at the beach and just admire the views.
We are all looking forward to welcoming you back again as you promised to our lovely resort for a 2 weeks holiday.

Chris Sherman
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taba
Sol Taba Red Sea
#9 of 62 in Eilat
Movenpick Resort Taba Hotel
Sofitel Taba Heights
Strand Beach and Golf  Resort Taba Heights

Been to Taba Hotel and Nelson Village? Share your experiences!