“Really rejuvenating holiday”

Taba Hotel and Nelson Village
Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Taba
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Frankly, although perhaps not absolutely "perfect" in every sense (what is?) it would be kind of mean of me to give my holiday at the Hilton,Taba, any less than 5 out of 5, because truly, the staff make this place wonderful and well deserving of an "excellent" rating.

My one week all-inclusive, holiday at the Hilton Taba resort in March 2013, was a VERY happy one. As I told the management team (who invited some of us Brits to the equivalent of the cruise-liner “drinks with the Captain”)-the staff MAKE the hotel (the wonderful place that it is-so look after them!)

Virtually every member of staff I encountered was kind, thoughtful and professional. (Always wishing me a good day, saying good morning). They reminded me of Disney Land (Los Angeles) staff, on my visit there a few years ago. But anyone who has had experience in the entertainment industry will understand why those folks are genuinely happy at work. Hilton Taba staff probably don’t have those kinds of perks-yet, I experienced them to be-on the whole, overwhelmingly wonderful. (There are one or two, who perhaps, over-do it. I am a very good people reader, so I can spot the oleaginous a thousand miles away. Still, I would rather have oleaginous, than rude any day. And who can blame them for trying so hard? These reviews make a big difference to them.)

So, we landed in Taba on 16 March and there was a police strike. Hence when we finally rolled up to check in (super swift and easy) it was three hours late, and after midnight (I had been up since 2am that same day). And I think to make up for the hassles on arrival-some of us were upgraded to a room, or perhaps more accurate to say a suite in Nelson’s Village. I am profoundly grateful for this. I think this was about creating a good first impression-following a not so good one at the airport. (Upgrade if you can! Nelson’s Village is really lovely-it made the holiday). There were thoughtful plates of food waiting for me in my room/suite (which I was too exhausted to eat). Instead, I collapsed into bed and woke up so refreshed; I had no clear memory of falling asleep or dreaming. (So-the beds are pretty comfy! But the pillows are not. Down pillows would be a nice touch-but perhaps not so hygienic. Seemed a minor point to be honest). How could I moan about anything-I was utterly smitten with my room! Spacious, beautiful-doors leading to the private outdoor seating and beach. Huge TV-loads of channels. AND BEST OF ALL - quiet! Bliss. I especially adored my bathroom!! I wanted to take that dreamy, power shower-home! I was singing Emeli Sande’s “Heaven” every morning!

A few members of staff deserve special mention and my sincere, heartfelt thanks-Tamer, (hope that is the right spelling) the (‘newly crowned’!) Manager. Thank you for just being very cool. Chris Sherman, lovely, down to earth, General Manager. Essam and Mohammed at the Palm Court resturant. Marwa for being a very good receptionist. The house-keeping staff-I’m a softie I guess-they were just doing their jobs, but I SO appreciated how wonderfully they cleaned and refreshed my room each day. And left me flowers from around the grounds. “The reward is just to see you smile.” Said my favourite house-keeping angel. I am so sorry not to remember his name (I made a lot of new friends that week). And I got awesome towel art as well. (I will try and post pictures) In fact, it became an interactive thing, where I would change the towel designs and develop them a bit! I even made requests- and had them granted!

Truly, I was treated like a Princess almost the whole time. I often felt very spoiled. (I think ultimately, you do get what you give).

Hilton Taba, reminded me of serviced apartments/gated community, I stayed in a few years back in LA-they were so awesome that many people came for a few weeks and ended up NEVER going home! (lol-seriously) Wealthy ex-actresses, usually. (Even I stayed there two months longer than planned). So-Nelson’s Village, within Hilton Taba felt to me more like a gated community, rather than a hotel. This was of course, in part- luck of the draw as well, as I connected with a few really lovely Brits-and we looked out for each other.

As a female solo traveller, I had just the right balance of my much prized solitude, quiet and privacy, balanced with companionship. I also enjoyed hanging out with Al-Ed-in (‘Alladin’-forgive, my spelling) and Mohammed from the Spa. (Keep doing the yoga I taught you!!). Speaking of which, the spa is, in some respects-basic, but the treatments are on the whole-fab. However, as a yoga teacher and massage therapist myself-there are a few things I would change. For example; the steam room needs to be renovated, made more inviting-(diffused essential oils, work well), spotlessly clean and above all, HOT. Therapists need to maintain short finger nails. They should never break contact with clients for one moment, once treatments begin-or open the door/have conversations, mid-treatment. The main issue with the spa is a lack of experienced staff to marshal the troops! They are a talented bunch-(just a bit young). Several of my fellow holiday makers also had wonderful treatments, but we all agreed that they were not terribly well co-ordinated. (e.g.-I arrived freshly showered and changed, and was ordered straight into the Jacuzzi-sauna-steam; when I had come only for a massage.But it was free and I didn't want to be a pain, if that is spa policy. But clients should be told it's a prerequisite, in that case). However, these are management issues - the spa staff was wonderful. They cannot be expected to know, what they don’t know. It also seemed a pity not to be able to choose the therapist treating you. The therapists meet and greet you on the beach-offer a package, but you might not have the person you spoke with. But I realised it is also a cultural thing-men massage men, women massage women. No big deal-they are all very good.

The ‘Shopping Mall’ area; outlets independent of the Hilton family, are a bit of a law unto themselves. Being a single woman, I was hassled a little bit..”Hey lady, come into my shop!” (type thing-again to be expected really). The odd perve. But I can take care of myself. Though I avoided shopping for this reason-it happens-it became a bit of a joke really. If I stayed longer, I would soon have stopped even noticing. It’s just a culture difference. Imagine going into Waitrose to chorus’ of “Hey Lady! For you-Linda McCartney sausage-half price!” (lol) A friend had a slightly more worrying experience. But again, nothing that the sunshine didn’t immediately make one forget all about! (Side note-the water is cold in March, but clarity pretty good-lots of colourful fishies :) even in shallow water. Fabulous arrid, hot, weather! Perfect).

The only thing that wasn’t super awesome, was the food. I mean, it was okay-perfectly fresh, an abundance of choice and quantity-(I think I gained a few pounds at least!) But if the staff on the whole are 6 star quality-the food was definitely about a 2-3 star by comparison. However, it’s worth noting that I am a veggie. Plenty of choice; just not very adventurous or memorable. Apart from the restaurant ‘Marhaba’. There was a birthday girl in the house on the night I went. Everyone sang happy birthday. And the waiter did a super cute dance for her. Many got up to join in! He balanced her cake on his head then, expertly, got up and danced some more on a chair! It was great fun! And the food-veggie and all, was very yummy. But I’m not a foodie, neither do I drink-so the “3 star food” didn't bother me in the least. I just know it’s important to some folks. For information-I heard a similar story from others staying within resorts at Taba Heights. ("Great service"-though not even close to ours at Hilton-"not so great food").

Loads of day-trips are possible from Hilton Taba-in fact it makes a fantastic base to explore the whole region. And it’s such a wonderful place to “come home” to, after a day travelling by bus. I decided against captive dolphins in Eilat. (a couple on the way home, said I did well-it wasn't worth the money). Cairo not available. So I went to Dahab. Meh. Excellent for diving, nice beach (apparently)-I was on the side with all the shops and restaurants where you just jump into the sea from your table! Fun! (missed the "storm" at Taba) Very young, Brit crowd, too hip and cool for me (I’m 36). So happy I didn’t stay there-as a friend suggested. But I imagine it's a good place for those who like to party and hang out with the cool kids. (and who love cats and dogs-it's overrun with strays! Lucky I adore animals, so I was happy to have a cat curl up on my lap while I was eating outdoors!) I was very happy to “come home” at the end of the long day.

Final verdict- I would be very happy, honoured even, to return to Hilton Taba as soon as I can-I would highly recommend it. In fact, many members of staff said they would be waiting for me (Aw!). I know, you might say: “yeah, yeah-they say that to everyone”. And maybe they do-but it’s not that easy to fool me. And if it’s all a kind of ‘North Korean trick of the tourist’ thing - then, they got me good. I loved it there. It did feel like a home from home. The Russians did not bother me. (Though the amount of smokers on the beach, at times did-but, I am sensitive). My advice to Brits about the Ruskies? Be genuinely kind. regardless of what you’ve heard. Try not to be prejudiced by all the Brits moaning about how "rude" they are. Be polite and you will 9/10 receive the same in return. Yes, sometimes they don’t say “thanks” when you hold the door, or spoon some rice onto their plate before yours-big deal. Theirs is a very different culture to the uber polite British one. We can get over it. Just enjoy the great privilege of being on a glorious holiday! Big thanks to all-I hope to return soon!

Room Tip: Upgrade to Nelson's Village if you prefer a quieter location and can afford to.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Ariadne R
ChrisSherman, General Manager at Taba Hotel and Nelson Village, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Thank you so much for your nice and detailed feedback on Tripadvisor in respect of your holiday with us here in Hilton Taba.

We are all so pleased that you enjoyed your time and experienced all our hotel facilities during your stay.

I am very proud to receive a good review like yours from a solo traveller who really enjoyed her holiday without any hassle.as for massage centre I will have a talk with them to try to avoid such comments again and I am very pleased to inform that soon we will start a new project for a very proffesional spa next to the big pool with full facilities.

I will pass also your very positive comments to my Team who will appreciate it so much.

We are all looking forward to welcoming you back again as you promised to our lovely resort (SECOND HOME).

Chris

Write a ReviewReviews (1,746)

Reviewed March 26, 2013

We would like to thank Chris Sherman the General Manager and his amazing team for making our holiday at the hotel such an enjoyable one..All of the staff are so friendly and welcoming it made our time at the hotel a truly fantastic experience, a special mention to Marwa in the Palm Court Restaurant, Ahmed, Hithum and Mahidy (sorry if the spelling is incorrect) from Nelson's Bar and restaurant.
The snorkeling off the hotel beach was amazing lots of fish to see and the organised boat trips are well worth doing,the grounds are lovely and everywhere is kept immaculate.
Having travelled the world and stayed in and work in a five star hotel,I would have no hesitation to recommend this hotel to anyone.Fantastic value for money,We look forward to coming back again soon.

1  Thank duncanmwatt
ChrisSherman, General Manager at Taba Hotel and Nelson Village, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

Thank you so much for your nice feedback on Tripadvisor in respect of your holiday with us here in Hilton Taba.

I am very proud to receive a good review like yours from an ex hotelier who is by nature looking to every sing detail as he used too.

I will pass also your very positive comments to my Team who are real credit to our hotel.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

Just returned from another 2 week stay in February 2013 at the Hilton Taba, Taba, Egypt. Excellent service, cleanliness, location, rooms and food. Thank you Chris and all the boys for a great holiday. I love the new promenade! I'll be back. Brenda Penrose.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Denise H

Dears Mrs. Penrose,Thank you so much for your nice feedback on Tripadvisor in respect of your 15th holiday with us here in Hilton Taba.

We are all so pleased that you enjoyed your time and experienced all our hotel (YOUR REAL SECOND HOME) facilities during your stay as always.

We all are looking forward to welcoming you back soon again to your SECOND HOME for # 16 stay at our hotel.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Me and my husband had a week at the Hilton all inclusive in March, on arriving we requested a Sea view but unfortunatly was not granted this so we upgraded for a balcony and sea view for an extra £117 well worth it except we did experience some noise at night with fellow neighbours slamming doors and talking in the early hours on balcony, but to be fair a call to reception and this was sorted out on both occassions . We would have up graded to the Nelson Villiage but it was not open due to maintence and neither was the swim up pool that really was the only frustrating things of the holiday . But more positive the staff , food and service is outstanding and they really cannot do enough for you Ahmed Rajwan and Mahdy in the Nelson restaurant are fantastic but they are in the Tex Mex good fun as well . We didn't go much on Evening entataiment so booked our meals later to fill the evening . Sam from the entataiment team is brilliant and such good fun, the Massage I would becarful of as they promised more than you actually receive we paid £30 for what was meant to be hour and half to use jacuzzi, sauna and 40 mins massage I got 20 mins massage and was out within an hour so just make sure you get what is promised. All what everyone has written is a good summery of the Hilton so I would defo recommend a visit i am sure you won't be disappointed they have wonderful staff and Chris the manager must be very proud.

1  Thank mayfeild
ChrisSherman, General Manager at Taba Hotel and Nelson Village, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Also I will deal with your comments about our massage company (third party) to keep their promises for our customers more acuratly and professionally.

We are all looking forward to welcoming you back again to our lovely resort (SECOND HOME).

Reviewed March 19, 2013

We had a great two weeks holiday untill we came to check out and then we was given a bill for over £250 british pound,for a telephone call in the middel of the night which we did not make. when we refuse to pay the bill we was told we would not be alowed to leave the hotel and if we did not pay the bill they would ring for the police.By this time our transport to the airport was waiting, so we had to pay the bill or miss our plane home.we have tryed to get in tutch with the hotel by email we know thay have receved our email as thay have replyed saying thay will get back to us we have not herd from them thay have our mony and that seems the end of it as far as thay are consered.if you use this hotel ask for the phone to be removed from the room so this dose not happen to you.most of the staff were briliant nothing was too mutch for them and the hotel was great im just sad at the attitud of the managment.Ray and Elaine Blackburn stayed 12/02/2013 to 26/02/2013.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Ray and Elaine

Thank you so much for your feedback on Tripadvisor in respect of your holiday with us here in Hilton Taba. It was a pleasure to meet you both on several occasions.

In respect to your comment of your telephone charge, which we have put in dispute, A full investigation is underway to resolve this matter and I would like to personally assure you that if this is an error by the phone company and we receive proof, you will be refunded the full amount to your credit card.

We did receive your email and my Front of House Manager, Anwar, replied back to you immediately along with an email from myself, with all details and facts to day. We will reply back to you again in the first week of April after we have checked the governmental telecom invoice.

We are all looking forward to welcoming you back to our lovely resort.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Having stayed here 2 years ago Myself and my partner decided to stay again. Just for a week of taking it easy to unwind.
We stayed here from 5th to 12th March 2013
From the moment we escaped from Thomson airways and in to our taxi, it was just that. A week of total relaxing and pampering.
At reception a young waiter from our last visit called Sharif spotted us straight away and called the reception staff to change our all inclusive "orange band" for the "Blue band".
From that point staff were welcomed even more than usual treating us like royalty.
Apparently there's a colour coded band system that lets other staff know you have stayed before. In actual fact there were 4 of the staff that remembered us before seeing the band and to be honest they were the most attentive of all the staff I remembered from our previous visit.
They deserve an extra special mention.
SHARIF - the ever helpful waiter - racing around providing hilarious quips and entertaining in both Arabic, Russian and English every night, making sure our glasses were topped up all times. All with an excellent customer friendly attitude at all times.

Marwah - (sorry if I spelt your name wrong.) The young lady Maitre D In the dining room from breakfast to late evening . Helped myself and my partner (who is suffering at the moment from crumbling hips and awaiting an operation.) not only to our table but made sure he was comfortable fetched and carried his plates, beyond her job from what someone else told me. and thoroughly made sure he (and other guests with walking problems I noticed.) felt at home even bringing us a copy of the news every morning.

Aladdin, The masseur with the magic hands. I had a problem with my shoulder and after a mini massage corrected this booked us both in for a medical massage at the Hilton Spa. a must for everyone to take part even if your only there for a few days.
The experience was excellent the staff were very professional in their attitude and very good at their jobs. Sauna, steam bath and massage were superb value.

Unfortunately the fourth persons name I have forgotten but again a very attentive young waiter none the less - every morning at breakfast took care to make sure our table was to our liking and cleared as fast as we could mess it up. Always cheery and welcoming in a morning and again at night for our evening meal.
All four stood out from the rest of the staff.
Although on saying this - to find so many great staff among the others was a pleasure.

The hotel was as the last visit busy with Eastern block tourists and at times loud and rowdy to say the least.
The entertainment unfortunately was far too loud for the size of the lounge area room, there really was no where to escape the noise except for the terraces.
This seemed to appeal to the masses so ok maybe at 42 I'm getting too old for that sort of thing.
There was a singer early evening for me he was not exactly the worlds best , unfortunately he was in the running for one of the worst I've seen in a long time.

The bedroom was facing the back of the hotel overlooking the border and had a small view of the Mountains to the left and the lights at Aqaba to the right at night.
Try for a balcony or terrace this was the only thing I missed from the 1st stay. In hindsight I should have upgraded.
The room though was super clean had everything needed to hand. Usual phone, fridge , television with more than the usual number of satellite channels, hairdryer in bathroom. Air conditioner was fine the beds were really comfy and the bedding was clean and soft ( great for when you tan a little too much not in the least bit scratchy. Towels and room cleaned every day really hard working fella again very pleasant wished us good morning every morning.

Its a shame that the English don't use this hotel more and I think that the travel agents need to start advertising the hotels availability more in their brochures. Its a great Hotel. just a shame flights are limited to Thomson airways, but that's another review......

I used the Casa Taba one evening on this visit and the food was absolutely divine . The staff were extremely friendly and I thought the value for money for a 5* hotel restaurant was exceptional. A visit to the shish bish on the way back sorted the night out perfectly, just beware the coffee's are really strong and grainy and so is the shisha pipe :-) but great fun all the same.

The hotels private beach and access to the sea was 2nd to none, a mere 2 minute walk past the hotel pool and nelson's bar and you're on the beach. There were a few small reefs not far from the beach with a nice variety of fish to view without having to go to far out.

The food at lunch time was probably better variety in the hotel dining room rather than the fast food range in nelsons pub. Again on saying this the food was perfectly fine. A little beach bar and a few activities including stretching/yoga and belly dancing lessons with volleyball and aqua aerobics for those a little more agile.

Chris your staff are a credit to you and your hotel chain and there's a few hotels and companies could do with taking a leaf from your book.
We WILL be going back to stay at the Hilton Taba nelson village Resort around October time. And I am already looking forward to it.
Well done guys keep it up. also a small note if you have a staff reward scheme the above names are all definite candidates for consideration.

Room Tip: go for the upgrade to sea view with a balcony if you like to sit out after sunbathing. there isn'...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
ChrisSherman, General Manager at Taba Hotel and Nelson Village, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Thank you so much for your very nice and honest review on tripadvisor for your recent holiday.

We all are so happy that you enjoyed again your holiday and experienced all our hotel facilities during your holiday.

I fully agreee with you that my staff is a real credit to the Hilton Taba and I have passed all your comments to all the mentioned names and departments who appreciated it so much and we look forward to welcoming you soon as promised in October at our lovely resort (SECOND HOME).

Reviewed March 18, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a fab holiday which was our first ever all inclusive holiday. We were worried we'd be bored and feel confined to the hotel, but this wasn't the case as the resort was a great size with a variety of beaches, pools and restaurants. The staff were unbelievably helpful which made up for only a few very minor issues. If we went back we'd probably upgrade to stay in the Nelson village area, however our room in the main hotel was very comfortable and extremely clean. The Marhaba restaurant was our favourite with traditional themed decor and food dine well. The animation team were fab and kept us busy with yoga and volleyball! The water sports centre was great but we were disappointed there was no opportunity to windsurf as advertised (due to proximity to the Israeli border), and we think an investment in a few stand-up paddle boards would be a perfect addition to the activities there! The manager, Chris, was hugely welcoming and runs an excellent team.

Room Tip: Nelson village looked lovely - away from the high rise main building and right on the beach.
1  Thank Liz J

Thank you so much for yourhonest feedback on tripadvisor for your recent holiday.

We all are so happy that you enjoyed your holiday and experienced all our hotel facilities during your holiday which was up to Hilton standard.

I have passed all your comments to all departments who appreciated it so much and we look forward to welcoming you soon at our lovely resort (nelson room).

I will pass also your comments to our diving centre manager Huw who will take it into his consideration near.