“Great little spot for a relaxing break and amazing diving”

Sharks Bay Umbi Diving Village
Ranked #106 of 231 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Reviewed October 14, 2011

My main reason for visiting Umbi Village was to go diving and accommodation was secondary on my list of priorities. I was nicely surprised when I saw the simplicity but quality of the room and the outstanding service. Prices are affordable and there is a range from the more expensive –although still good prices- for the Bedouin Village room with amazing views, the mid-range beach cabins, one minute away from the beach, and the economical view huts.
The view from the Bedouin Village rooms is better as the rooms are higher, although obviously you have to go up more steps to access them.
Our room was incredibly spacious, clean and cozy, with simple but lovely decoration. It had a lovely balcony with amazing views over the coast and the sea. The staff are very friendly, incredibly helpful and diligent.
There is a lovely Bedouin style bar/cafe where you can go to escape from the heat any time during the day and evenings. There is a small supermarket where you can get you basic stuff such as water, drinks, toiletries and snacks. For fresh food such as fruit you need to go to the Old Market by taxi.
The dive centre is outstanding. The equipment is new and well looked after. I did my dives from the boat Freedom I, which was great. The crew was so friendly and helpful and took good care of us. The skipper took us a few times to a spot where there are dolphins sometimes, and I saw them twice! Adel was an amazing divemaster. He knows the area and took us the best spots at the right times. He is extremely intuitive and knows how to support you when you have any problems or worries. I can’t wait to go back!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 11, 2011

We stayed a week at UMBI Diving Village at the beginning of October.
The weather was just wonderful, hot – but not uncomfortably so.
Quiet, relaxing environment -our Bedouin room was spacious and had a great view.
The furniture is in need of upgrade, but the bed was very comfortable and the room was scrupulously cleaned every day. Lots of space too!

We had dinner nearly every evening at the local restaurant, out of laziness after the long day diving – however, the Restaurant staff was very “grumpy”, the service minimal.
Plates were retrieved even before we had finished and the bill pushed on us without waiting for dessert or coffee orders. Bear in mind that the restaurant was always nearly empty; I wonder what was the reason of such behaviour? A mini customer-services course and some friendly behaviour would probably ensure repeated business.

The Reception Staff, small shop attendant and so on were – however – all very helpful and friendly.
We had a few amazing massages by the massage corner on the Umbi Beach (always perfectly maintained) – super relaxing!

The local little shops could do we a new stock of goods (everything was fairly dusty and “old”).

Diving - After diving in Dahab (in very small groups), I was taken aback by the share crowds during our diving trips. Umbi’s Freedom 8 diving boat is great, the lunch was wonderful and everyone was very helpful on board (Ghandi was our Diving guide) but I was not prepared to the diving sites being so busy. I counted 28 divers underwater once, and 14 other boats on the site.
At a point, while diving, the traffic of boats ahead made me feel like being at Heathrow airport :o)

We enjoyed our week, the Red See is an amazing destination, but I would look for a less developed (and less crowed diving place) for my next holiday.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GioMel
Reviewed October 4, 2011

One of the best places to go if you are interested for diving. Even though this is not a 5 Star hotel, people there treat like one. The diving center is fantastic. All people are very friendly and helpful more than you can ask. From reservation to execution everything was perfect. They have their own Jetty there so there is zero waiting time for the daily boat trips. Rooms are simple and clean (every day they were cleaned) and with a nice views (Bedouin rooms). Breakfast is basic and a bit repetitive but I did not considered it a draw back. The staff in the dive center for me are simply the best! I am looking forward going back for some diving..
I stayed there for 10 days as a solo traveler and never felt alone..
Definitely recommend it for all divers travelers.

Room Tip: If you are not interested for the view beach cabins are also excellent and match cheaper – fully equ...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank MikeN_GR
Reviewed August 17, 2011

i didnt stay here but i wish i had and will return to stay. I came here for four days to complete my open water dive qual. All i can say is that this place is a little piece of paradise................. Alex runs the show and is great for a chat. My instructor was Ghandi and whilst i was his 'slave' for the four days, he was the most patient and knowledgeable guy ive met for some time.
From booking in the uk, where i got excellent service, to the relaxed but professional approach in the Umbi village. Want to do my advanced now and return to dive at xmas.
Ghandi, watch out, you will be my slave soon......................................

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank paulmcp
Reviewed May 1, 2011

Room was close enough to 5 star, the staff was (are) super friendly, the food was great, and not being overcharged is an added bonus! The diving centre staff, are the best!
We will be back soon, you will not find this a better place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank pmeiss
Reviewed April 28, 2011

Have just returned from Umbi Diving Villiage. This is the most relaxing and chilled out place in Sharm El Sheikh
The reviews are correct, the staff are extremely helpful and obliging. If you have a problem you only have to ask and they go out of there way to sort it out. There are three members of staff that offer services on the beach (newspaper, trips/ water sports and a massage guy) This is far fewer that any other beach I have been on in Egypt. They only asked once and politely left my wife and I alone.
This is not a 5* resort. its far more personal than that. It is mostly geared up for people wishing to combine diving with some beach and local life.
The rooms have been tastefully built into the side of the hill and each one has an individual Bedouin stlye. Although there are some steps involved, the views from the rooms are incredible. They are simply furnished, comfortable and clean. The room 'boy' came in each day and actually changed our shower curtain as a matter of course for cleaning. Towels and sheets were changed each day. The bathroom was very clean and shower head was fixed to the wall as normal. This time of year, mosquito nets were hanging over the bed. We used this one night as a precaution, but the room had a plugin anti mosquito repelant and we were given a spray to use if needed (not used). A light bulb went and as soon as we asked it was changed. - basically if I had a problem they would fix it when they were made aware.
Breakfast is basic but substantial and varied. The chiefs will make pancakes and your choice of eggs. Sitting on the terrace watching the sea and boats while eating is a great way to start the day.
There is a 'shisha/ coffee' bar to one side of the beach which is great to lounge in, drink Bedouin tea/coffee play 'backgammon' etc.
The beach has the benifit of a pontoon and a shallow, sandy entrance to get to the spectacular house reef. There plenty of sunbeds and unbrella's to go round.
The beach bar serves a variety of meals and snacks and the restaurant is very popular with many people coming from other hotels to eat there.
There is a mousque nearby and you will hear the 'call to pray' I love this as it adds to the feel of being in Egypt.
The dive centre and boats are excellent and cater for both the needs of divers and non- divers alike. Again nothing is too much
This is a Bedouin owned resort with an authenic feel. The staff will arrange trips into the desert, or to Tiran Island - we saw a pod of 20 or so dolphins swimming around our boat.
There is internet access and the shops on the beach are fixed price, you can wander in and out with no hassel at all, which is rare in Sharm.
There are a number of English staff who will help at any time - when I left my camera in a taxi, the staff arranged for and English speaking Bedouin to come with me to find and speak to the driver.
As I said this is not a 5* resort BUT you are treated like a 5* guest. The service, rooms, food and general relaxed feel is far in excess of the rate you pay for Bed and breakfast.
I will send my friends and will come back with my family.
They say "Come as guests leave as friends" Its True.

Room Tip: Each room is individual with great views
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank andycullers
Reviewed April 19, 2011

Went to Umbi with a friend, she was learning to dive, and I was there just for R&R. I agree with all the reviews that everyone was friendly, all the staff were lovely, some a little over friendly on occasions, but it was harmless. Proximity to the beach is really handy, and great dive sites nearby.

Downsides however, were that while on the beach I felt rather watched by the men that would congregate for pipes in the afternoon. Also I was sorely disappointed by the rooms. We had a bedoin villa, and while the maid did make a sculpture with the towel everyday, that was the only evidence of any cleaning! Windows had broken locks, dirty floors, mouldy shower curtain, and shower head that had to be hand held. It all just felt dirty and old. I would also say they are in need of decoration, as seem rather past it and not nice colours. also hugh holes in the mosi nets meaning I was eaten alive on more than one occasion.

Finally, I would say that the building work that we had to pick our way around was an eyesore. And really should have been done in the winter. And the food was not terribly nice at all - in fact I didn't eat mine on a couple of occasions.

I believe there is a HUGE new Pasha ( a new fort) to open just behind the resport, so that might change the whole area rather.. I certainly think those staying there will have to be ok with that crowd.

Overall a nice trip but I won't be rushing back anytime soon.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Claireabella2
Management response:Responded April 29, 2011

Dear Reviewer,
We always value the comments of our guests and respond to these as best we can. We are happy that you had a nice trip overall but would like to clarify a few points made in your review.
Having checked the room we agree that there were a number of issues that needed to be urgently addressed. The broken window locks are being replaced, the small hole in the mosquito net has been repaired as has the shower head. The shower curtain was not mouldy but has been washed and replaced anyway. Sadly any of the rooms here, even with daily cleaning, do become dusty very quickly with the desert sand but we do try our very best to battle against the sands to keep them as clean as possible.
The building work for the new Reception was started in January, as the winter months are our low season and this is when any major work is carried out. Sadly events in Egypt from 25th January meant that the labourers returned to their families in Cairo and Suez and work did not restart until much later in February. With the much reduced labour force in Sharm el Sheikh at that time we did our best, and are still doing so, to keep the hotel and dive centre operating normally. In fact we are proud to have kept the hotel open in difficult circumstances when many others had closed.
We apologise if you were not happy with the food but we can honestly say that we have had no other complaints regarding the standard. If we are aware of any problems at the time then we will always do our utmost to resolve them.
The building referred to as being a new Pasha nightclub is news to us! This building has been there for several years now and it is still being decided as to what it will eventually become. We have no knowledge that it will be a nightclub and our owner would object strongly to this.