“Had a brilliant 12 days”

Maritim Jolie Ville Royal Peninsula Hotel & Resort
Ranked #79 of 234 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Kirton in Lindsey, null, United Kingdom
“Had a brilliant 12 days”
Reviewed August 28, 2014

I have just returned from this hotel after a lovely holiday, this was our second visit this year. A huge thank you as always for everything! Some of the comments on here are very petty and some are valid points but really a little over the top!. We had a fabulous time and many many thanks to the coniege men, especially Reda and Salem, the guest relation team who always checked we were ok and if there was anything they could do for us, Samy and the pool team for again working extremely hard and being very friendly and most of all the men who work really long hours and extremely hard to make your stay enjoyable and pleasant. To name a few, Omar, Mohammed, in the main restaurant and Wael. You do have to pay for the Italian and Thai but the food is well worth it. There are some hotels in Egypt where you get to eat in other restaurants for free, however the overall all inclusive price is a lot more. At the end of the day you get what you pay for. The room is the best we have experienced size wise, and had everything we needed. A beautiful room and kept really clean. The spa is beautiful and a lovely experience, perhaps if the prices were lower I feel customers would be more willing to come. The beauty salon is also lovely and although a little behind times in comparison to England they still do everything they can to do their job to the best of their abilities. The hotel provides a free bus to Naama every evening which no other hotel we have stayed at does and a free bus to the beach.
All in all a wonderful holiday sharing special times with loved ones! That's what holidays are about, not to pick at everything possible.
Thank you so much and we will of course see you all again - Mr & Mrs Outhwaite -Al and Rachael

Room Tip: Don't book a transfer, if you email the hotel they will happily collect you from the airport.
4 Thank Rachael O

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (447)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed August 28, 2014 via mobile

Avoid this hotel at all costs ive just got back after 2 weeks with my girlfriend and found this hotel to be well below 5 star rating 2 star maybe mr achmed hotel manager was one of the most ignorant people ive ever spoken to we had

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Kenneth F
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2014

The hotel has offered to pay hospital bill for customer with acute food poisoning!
My family and i have traveled to Sharm El Sheikh before and really enjoyed it til we stayed here. On arriving we checked and had to wait 30 minutes for the porter to take us to our room of which he didn't come so we started walking to find the room,we walked out of reception to find it would be looking for a needle in a hay stack the complex is that big. We had to stop a guy in a golf buggy and ask him where the block was, he then helped us, took us to the room and we rewarded and said thank you to him. On entering the room your first thoughts were wow til you looked closer after a couple of days. You were given 1.5 litres of water in your room for 10 days stay. There were 3 people staying on the room we were given 1 bed, 2 pillows and towels for 2 people. I asked housekeeping for more pillows and towels it took 3 days for 1 pillow to arrive and we never got extra towels so i gave up! After a few days we felt quite ill with stomach craps and diarrhea that we've never experienced in our lives. My 4 year old son was ill with sickness during the night so i rang housekeeping for clean sheets and they brought them. I stripped off the bed to find a mattress topper soaked with someone else's blood, as you can imagine i wasn't amused. The main restaurant food was appalling, tasteless food not cooked properly and consisted of rice pasta and vegetables the only dish half descent was the soups.
Everything was left over food from the day before. They did a BBQ in the evening with chicken that was dried out and couldn't even be bother to clean the grease that went on the floor and it was full on maggots and flies. The complex is NOT ALL INCLUSIVE as you have to pay at the reception bar full price for drinks and this is the only place you get WIFI it's not in rooms or the amenities area's. The Windsor English bar was full paying price although they did offer happy hour 7 pm til 9 pm but it was difficult to get served as you had to hunt someone down to go behind the bar. They have a Italian and Thai restaurant on site. The Italian was full price and had to book and the Thai was only open on Friday,Saturday and Sunday and offered a 25% discount on Saturday night only IT DOES'NT STATE THIS WHEN BOOKING ABOUT PAYING FOR THINGS YOU SHOULD GET IN THE PRICE. The piano bar was disgusting the barmen were rinsing used glasses under the tap no detergent in sight and reusing them to other guests. The ice was from a ice machine which tells me it's their tap water and its plumbed into the mains. There were water coolers around the restaurants and bar area's that never seen a anti- bacterial wipe in there lives. We went to meet friends out of 12 people 10 were ill to the point one lady was like a pin cushion after being put on a drip for several hours over 2 days. I confronted the office manager and told him my views regarding the hotel and hygiene issues to which he told me there was nothing wrong with the place and asked me what i would like them to do. I told him after being so ill we would not eat in the main restaurant again as we hadn't for the past 3 days. I told him that we had 2 nights left and would like to eat in the restaurants free of charge for all 12 guests over the last 2 nights, he agreed and gave us vouchers. When we got to the restaurant what can i say the menu we were given was completely different to the menu outside, we then realized that this is where you go if you complain as all the other guests had done the same. The service and food was completely different and was quite nice. The second night was shocking we arrived at 8 pm they took 25 minutes to bring our drinks and an hour to take our food order and 1.5 hours later the starters arrived with 1 missing, Then the main course arrived with 4 mains missing so half the table had finished their meals before the rest turned up. 2.5 hours to eat not happy they couldn't even get that right! In all we never eat for 5 days in the main restaurant spend £500 sterling on water meals out juice and crisps just to get by. The hotel cut your all inclusive bands off at 12 noon with nothing to eat or drink til you leave most flights to the uk are after 7 pm at night and arriving is usually the same. We couldn't wait to get home and see the doctor and give a stool sample of which has been done. Then i will be making a claim for a refund of monies paid for this holiday from hell! (that doesn't include the friends we went with they were great company).,

Room Tip: don't bother is my advice!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
5 Thank datra2014
Leyland Lancashire
Reviewed August 28, 2014

We have recently visited the Maritim Jolie Ville Royal Peninsula and were very disappointed. We feel that this is by far, nowhere near a 5 star resort and would give it no more than a 3!
We had a feeling things were not going to be as expected when we had a transfer in a minibus provided by Eastmar tours. We had to lift our own suitcases through the back window and had to travel holding on to the pile so they didn’t collapse on us. This was a bonus because they didn’t even turn up to take us back to the airport so we had to get our own taxi. Do not use these people!
Reception
The staff on reception were excellent and very welcoming. The reception area was spacious with good seating, great air conditioning and free WIFI. There is a lovely bar in the corner and it is such a shame that this bar is not in the All Inclusive package. It was very rarely used and would have been a lovely alternative in an evening for those just wanting a quiet drink.
Rooms
The rooms were of a very good size with extremely comfortable beds. We were in Room 4215 which was quite close to the pool area. However, because it was not passed by many, the gardens in front were tatty and full of weeds and the walkways were not swept like others. Our main issue was with the air conditioning and we had to call maintenance 4 times to fix it. At one point, 5am in the morning, water flooded through the light fitting and a huge pool of water remained. They did fix it eventually after a couple of hot, sweaty, sleepless nights. The other disappointment was having personal items stolen from our room- nothing of great expense: deodorant, conditioner, pyjamas, but it is still upsetting all the same. The hotel took it very seriously and did offer to provide us with toiletries from the shop but we only had a few days of our holiday left.
Pool
The pool area is huge and well maintained. The sun loungers are really comfy with thick cushions and we had some lovely chill-out time there. There are always people wandering round keeping things clean and tidy. Towels can be changed daily and they are always clean, if not a little small. Drinks were easily available at the pool bar and in the main bar too. There was one particular member of staff at the pool bar who was extremely rude on several occasions though. Food in the pool bar is dire! Say no more!
Beach
The beach is not what we are normally used to, but we knew what to expect. The bus takes guests every half hour and takes about 7 minutes to get there. There is a hot walk down a slope and then lots of steps, but once down there, it is quite pleasant. You can go down a few steps into shallow rocky water or off the jetty into deep water. The beach bar is lovely and serves good food- panini, chicken wraps, Spag. Bol. But the All Inclusive is very limited. My husband could not eat anything on the AI menu so he had to buy food every time we went. I was extremely surprised that things like burgers, pizza were not on the AI package and they were not cheap.
On the way back, you wait at a bus stop for your return. Normally you time it so you’re up there on the half hour so you only wait for 5 minutes or so. The last time we went, we stood for an hour because they had sent the beach bus to the airport! Not pleasant and very hot.
Breakfast in the buffet restaurant was limited but OK. You can get omelette, fried eggs, boiled eggs, toast, cereals, cakes etc. and the tea, coffee and juices are fine. Very often you have to wait for cups though. The breads and cakes are all lovely if they are fresh. A few times the bread rolls were stale and possibly left over from the previous meal time. At lunch and dinner, the rest of the food is horrendous. A lot of the food I chose was undercooked – fish, potatoes, vegetables. Others looked like they had been cooked for a week. Food that should have been hot was always cold unless it was freshly prepared for you. There was absolutely no pleasure in going out for your evening meal because you were searching for something to eat all the time and I am the least fussy eater ever! Many of our meals consisted of soup and bread, followed by dessert. On a few occasions we even had to order McDonalds and Pizza Hut into the lobby as they are regular deliverers to the hotel. I have never had to do that before on any holiday and wouldn’t even do it at home. We expressed our disappointment to the manager and he put us in the Italian for our final two nights. The food in there is pleasant with lovely service. I did notice though that the menu we were given was for ‘All Inclusive’ guests. My guess is that a lot of the restaurants that are not on the AI package once were and they are slowly removing facilities from you. On our paperwork, it also mentioned a seafood restaurant in the pool island. I never saw that either. It feels like the whole place is just out to make money wherever they can. We didn’t try the Thai restaurant as the prices were extortionate!
Bar
The main bar was disappointing with a real lack of atmosphere. It felt a bit like a youth club! The staff worked hard in the evenings and you generally got served reasonably quickly. Staff in the daytime are on a ‘go-slow’ and will look at you 4 times, do something else, then serve you. We asked one manager if the bar was open. He said it was, and if we wanted him to be our servant he would get us a drink- very rude! The drinks are quite limited and the spirits and wines are of a poor quality. The measures are huge and you have to get a soft drink to water them down. For three nights, they ran out of vodka!!! The Windsor bar looks beautiful- air conditioned with lovely chairs and sofas, but again hardly ever used as it is not on the AI package. We went in to look at the menu to order a nice bottle of wine but the cheapest was over £20, a price I wouldn’t pay in the UK, never mind Egypt.
Entertainment
We don’t go on holiday for the entertainment so it didn’t bother us that it was probably the poorest entertainment we have ever seen. We would rather chat with the friends that we have met whilst on our travels. The singer, who was on most nights, was hilariously dire! Flat as a pancake and always forgetting his words. It was so bad, it was funny!
Illness
Our main worry when going on holiday is mosquitoes as my husband is extremely allergic. We covered ourselves with spray every night and not a single bite! They do spray around the resort each evening so I assume this has a positive impact.
However I did have to visit the medical centre because of an ear infection (pool? Not sure!) Four days of injections, antibiotics and anti-inflammatories, followed by syringing. Excellent service from the doctors and relieved that I had a policy with a zero excess.
On the morning of our departure I started with diarrhoea which was very unpleasant on a plane home. I visited the doctors in the UK and was diagnosed with food poisoning which lasted for 5 days. The two places I ate in on our penultimate day were the beach bar and the Italian. My guess is the Beach bar chicken wrap as the food I ate in the Italian was pretty risk free but I can’t be certain.
Other guests
We were warned about the Russian guests before we went and we had a few experiences of rudeness- not being able to queue. They simply walked to the front of the queue in the restaurant and whilst waiting for the bus back from the beach. My husband simply blocked their way and let on everyone who was before us before getting on himself. However, the rudest people I have ever met are the Egyptian guests, particularly the women. They will push to the front and demand to be given someone else’s omelette. “Me, mine!” Luckily the chefs would point out there was a queue and send them on their way. One evening we had to stand in a line outside the restaurant , waiting for a table because the Egyptians fill their table full of food and stay there for the night. There was so much pushing and barging for food that we left and ordered McDonalds again!
All in all, my husband and I are very disappointed with our one holiday this year. You save up all year for a pleasant, relaxing time, then have to wait another 12 months for the next one. It is such a shame but this holiday has put us off going to Egypt ever again. We have heard excellent reports from friends who have had amazing holidays in Egypt but I think we just chose the wrong hotel who are just out to make as much money as they possibly can. We have friends who got married in a Maritim hotel and said it was the best hotel they have ever stayed in, which is something for them as they always go first class. Maritim should be ashamed with this one!

6 Thank maayababe
United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2014

My boyfriend and I just recently returned from this hotel after a 14 night relaxing break and here is our honest review of the hotel with both positives and negatives included.

Upon arrival after travelling all day, we arrived at 10.35pm to be greeted by a rude receptionist and to be told we had missed the 'all-inclusive' food which had stopped at 10.30pm just 5 minutes ago, not even an opportunity to have a cold platter or see if we could possibly pop in to the restaurant to get any food that was left. He seemed very uniterested and we were advised we could buy some food to the room. A pleasent welcome to the hotel - not!

The room was lovely and spacious. We stayed in room 4209 which was close between the pool and the reception area with a pool view. The beds were amazingly comfy and the twin beds were big enough for 2 people in each one! The closet and bathroom were equally as spacious with a safe in the room which was great. The shower was lovely and powerful! Room was cleaned everyday, the cleaner was brilliant he left us a few towel animals on the bed which was a nice surprise. Air conditioning was really good kept the room really cool, it makes you forget how hot it is outside! There are nice seating areas outside the rooms too, the room was definitely one of the highlights of the hotel.

The food was appauling in the main restaurant. It was repetitive, dull, unimaginative and tasteless. Often it was cold salty pasta, meat on the bone with some sort of gravy sauce on it, or some weird concoctions which you wouldn't dream of wanting to eat. Definitely not a 5 star standard, you would have better food in a 3 star hotel! From our 14 night stay we ate out 6 times in Soho Square and Naama Bay which you definitely would not expect to do on a all-inclusive 5 star holiday. You could get Macdonalds, KFC or Pizza Hut delivered to the hotel which was useful sometimes to have some normal food and we used this a few times too. The food at the pool bar was occasionally okay at lunchtime but you were usually waiting around an hour for all the food. The food at the beach bar at lunctime was by far the best, we ate there a few lunchtimes however our last day was very saddening and the service was really bad with 2 waiters waiting hand and foot over 1 man who has obviously given a very large tip, not the kind of service to expect. There was 2 other restaurants which you had to buy food from at an all-inclusive hotel which were empty apart from 1 table each night! - Why they didn't provide customers with an opportunity to dine at each restaurant once a week on the all-inclusive is beyond me.

Drinks service was occasionally okay, however sometimes you wouldn't be asked what you would like to drink until you have pretty much finished your meal, or order one finish that and then not have an opportunity to have another drink. The Panama bar was often dirty and very difficult to get the waiters attention to get drinks. People would be shouting to get drinks at the waiters, very understaffed and often dirty with dirty glasses, tissues, cigarettes and spilt drinks everywhere. If you tip the waiters they line the drinks up for you and serve you straight away so there is a handy tip which we did, however you shouldn't have to do this to be served at the hotel. There was no atmosphere in there as no music playing. The entertainment was very unimaginative, we sat and watched it once and that was enough.

The Pool is beautiful and spacious, definitely 5 star! There we always sunbeds and parasols and you could get free beach towels everyday. Pool was clean and very refreshing.

The shuttle service to the beach was great, it runs every 30 minutes so you could go down any time. At times it got busy and you had people especially on return to the hotel pushing in and being very rude so they could get a seat on the bus which on holiday you don't want to be rushing for seats. There were always seats and parasols free at the beach too with the beach bar close by which was great. The sea was by far the best thing, snorkelling is highly recommended! Lots of lovely fishes and the coral reef is beautiful! My boyfriend got stung by a jellyfish there which we didn't see many of and the bar staff were helpful in sorting this out.

There are a few onsite shops which you can buy gifts from. Special thanks go to Abdula in the gift shop who we made friends with, we sat and drank tea and had shisha with him in the shop and learnt a lot about Egypt without him pressuring us to buy from him! We went and bought most of our holiday gifts from him he was brilliant!! There is also an onsight doctor and pharmacy which my boyfriend unfortunately had to visit as he at diarrhea and stomach cramps which meant we missed some of our holiday as he was bed ridden.This was most likely due to the poor hygiene of dirty cutlery, glasses being washed with tap water and the food being a poor standard, and talking to other people, many of them also experiened this. I know the standard of hygeine is different to England and their water is different, however there is no excuse to see a waiter make a drink, pick something out of it with his hands then serve it to a customer so I wonder what goes on behind the scenes!

Naama bay was terrible. Don't go there if you want a quiet walk around. You are hassled every metre of the way by anybody which drives you mad after a while. We ate at a seafood restaurant there which was really nice!! But didn't enjoy the general place.

Soho square is on a different level. It is wonderful, the shops, restaurants and bars are fabulous! You walk around hassle free and I would definitely recommend the Thai restaurant there, the food and service were really exquisite!!! The drinks are very expensive here but it is worth coming to for a very pleasent experience so highly recommended!!!

We went on a few trips which we booked on site with 'Zoom On Safari'. The 2 guys in there we brilliant and very helpful!! The first trip was the 5 in 1 quadbiking, camel ride, bedoiun tents and entertainment, food and stargazing. The quadbiking was immense! We went through the desert for 2 hours and my boyfriend even got to ride the Raptor quadbike for 1 hour of this which he was very happy about! However the rest of the day was a letdown, the camel ride was a 5 minute ride?? We didnt have food provided as it took too long and everybody on the trip wanted to go back which was at 10pm at night.. We didn't do any star gazing. However the guys at Zoom On were appauled by this and provided us with the opportunity to go back for free to eat and do the star gazing. The second trip we went on was to Cairo, this is highly recommended!!!! We flew there which was only a 1 hour flight and were greeted by a very useful and friendly tour guide. We visited Cairo museam, had lunch by the River Nile, visited the Pyramids of Giza, the Great Sphinx and even saw how papyrus was made and learned a lot about this. The final trip we went on was the jeep safari to the coloured canyon and blue hole. This trip was also excellent!!! The jeep safari took us through the desert and we saw some great views and the driver was brilliant! The blue hole was nice to snorkel in however we thought the hotel snorkelling was even better as it wasn't overcrowded.

Overall we enjoyed our holiday despite everything and would return to Egypt but sadly to a different hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Beccie H
Edinburgh
Reviewed August 27, 2014

I am just going to copy and paste a complaint letter my boyfriend sent to our holiday company on our return from this hotel so i apologise for the likeness to war and peace lol. We did enjoy our holiday but the service we received in this hotel was disgusting. I would like to say that Mr Shariff - the rooms manager and Mr Ghallid - front of desk manager were very helpful and treated us with respect on our last 2 days!!! 2/14 WOW!!! This is a lovely hotel and has great potential but until they make changes it's a no no!

This is advertised as an ‘all inclusive’ hotel – not everything was all inclusive, we had to pay for drinks in 2 bars and in the 3 a la Carte Restaurants, we had to pay for bottled water or refill used bottles up at the water fountains dotted about in the bar areas which was never ice cold.
• The hotel bars were insufficiently stocked, running out of vodka for 4 days, fanta orange, draught beer - there was apparently no gas for the juice machines and beer taps! Wine was only available during mealtimes in the restaurants. Bar staff were pouring warm cans of Heineken lager and bottled juices in to what I can only describe as cups you would get at the dentist to rinse your mouth after treatment! When we did get proper glasses they weren’t washed properly, rinsed under a tap with unhealthy water – the select few that did make it in to the dish washer were only in there for about 2 minutes max - not long enough to clean any germs in my eyes! The restaurant crockery was just as bad, having to clean cutlery on your napkins yourself before eating the inedible food on offer.
• The food in the main Peninsula buffet Restaurant is the worst I have ever consumed on an all-inclusive holiday, everything that was on offer was for Egyptian/Arabic nationalities. We as brits like to eat a nice cut of meat with a clean knife and fork. Everything was on the bone and always in some kind of gravy/sauce so you couldn’t actually see what you were eating- probably just as well. The meat was fatty and luke warm – hardly ever freshly made. The veg was always soggy, rice and pasta bland or too salty. Just totally inedible to people who actually like to eat food that they enjoy or has a nice taste. The food at the poolside bar was normally ok (ish) – edible at least, although on one occasion I ordered a hotdog. When the food arrived I though ok here goes, as I bit into the sausage it was cold on further inspection I discovered that the food was not only cold it was raw! I took my plate to the waiter, manager and chef who all looked at the food with panic upon their faces at discovering they had served undercooked meat to guests. As you can imagine after having been served food that you would not serve to an animal I was pretty outraged. I took my complaint straight to the general manager of the hotel who I found to be an ignorant, arrogant, aggressive man. Somehow trying to turn things round to be my fault. This man had no communication or customer relation skills what so ever. When he was told the problems he started shouting at me and ran from the room not wanting to hear about any complaints against his hotel. My view along with many others we spoke to – including other staff members, this man should not have the responsibility of running an international hotel in a country which obviously relies on tourism to survive. This was reported to our resort rep so that he also had a record of our complaints.
• My partner and myself had to visit the on-site doctor during our two week stay for chronic diarrhoea and were both diagnosed with acute food poisoning. We were not charged for the doctor’s examination or diagnosis but had to buy 3 different types of drugs each from the pharmacy to treat our illness. We later discovered that numerous guests had also been diagnosed with this complaint and that the reason the doctor never charged us for our appointment was because the hotel were paying all doctor bills – does that not tell you something about the food hygiene levels in this resort
• There is nothing on the menus in any of the restaurants for children to eat. Oh, I tell a lie the Peninsula Restaurant has a speciality dish on every night and once a week it was ‘chips’ – not bad at least your child could eat once every week! Guests who we met with children had to either eat out with the complex or order food in. The local McDonald’s, KFC and Pizza Hut (who’s phone number the reception staff knew of by heart) were forever delivering food to the hotel which put an unexpected cost on to these families. Not what you expect when you have already paid for meals in advance. Children can’t even get an ice-cream except for about an hour at lunch time, which is not available for adults.
• During our time here the hotel was overrun with Egyptian and Arabic guests who were all very rude and obnoxious. We heard that the government had offered them a cheap all inclusive holiday and flights to Sharm el Sheikh before their children went back to school. We understand that everyone is entitled to a holiday which we didn’t have a problem with but these guests made parts of our holiday intolerable as they looked down upon British guests and treated us like something they stepped in. They expected to be served before us at the bars and restaurants and as they spoke the language they always got waiters attention before us. We weren’t going to go down the road of standing with our hands in the air in a school room manner in order to be served next. They let their children climb all over bars, chairs and tables. They have no respect for other nationalities. If this hotel is being used as an Egyptian holiday resort then other holiday companies should not be sending guests here to suffer this kind of treatment. This may sound like we are narrow minded which we are not, we just expect to be treated equally.

The ‘Maritim Jolie Ville Royal Peninsula Hotel & Resort’ has the potential to be a fantastic resort as the setting and accommodation are stunning but the service we experienced was disgusting for a 5* resort. I suggest you remove this hotel from your books so other British holiday makers do not have to endure the treatment we received during our two week stay. Most of the staff here are grumpy and ignorant, they have no people skills and basically throw your drinks and food at you and move on to the next unlucky table of guests. We are not millionaires and have to work hard all year round in order to afford a decent holiday not to be treated probably worse than inmates from Alcatraz.

Our experience at this hotel hasn't put us off choosing to holiday in Egypt again but we definitely won't be returning to this hotel. We aren't travellers who pick up on any small problem and blow it out of proportion, you will see that if you read my previous reviews.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 5813 - it was lovely, very spacious!
5 Thank Gayle1066
Yeovil, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2014 via mobile

Over all disappointed. Staff weren't great with the exception of maybe 1 or 2. All inclusive cocktail menu consisted of vodka and orange, rum and coke - that's not a cocktail. Food was very samey everyday and if you're a young blonde, be prepared to be stared at by all the children and not even acknowledged by the men. The weather was fantastic but that's no reflection on the hotel. Entertainment team were fun but slightly annoying to the point we would pretend to be asleep when they came round for 'aqua gym' time.

Stayed May 2014