“excellent holiday” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #73 of 232 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
essex
“excellent holiday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2011

I have just come back from the Maritim jolie ville royal peninsula. this hotel was absoutley wonderful. the staff were so friendly, and worked so hard to make your holiday so nice. Mohaomed from the animation team made my day, fantastic dancer, enjoyed are dances thankyou. the hotel is very clean and tidy, gardens kept beautifully. the bungalows are huge, and are kept very clean every day. the pool staff are great, so friendly, and the waiters in the restaursnt are so nice guys.i cannot fault this hotel at all, i dont understand some of the comments other people have said about this hotel, all i can say is they must of been in a different place.i would defintly come back to this hotel, and would highly recommend this to my friends and family.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (446)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2011

My wife and I have just returned yesterday from 7 nights all inclusive at this hotel.
We have stayed in many 4 and 5 star hotels around the world at different budgets, and so for the price of this, around £600pp last minute, thought we had found a bargain.
However, after a couple of days realised that this hotel had potential to be 5*, but was operating far from it on our visit:

*Check in was very fast and had a quick guided tour on route via a buggy to our room.
*Rooms on arrival were very spacious and clean. Good air con. However, just 1 bottle of complimentary water in an other wise empty fridge (minibar? there was a menu but no contents throughout our stay, which we would have happily paid for). They did offer 24hr room service at reasonable prices.
*The pool is very large and well maintained. Sunbeds. Ah sunbeds..we had read other reviews regarding this and had to see it to believe it. They clearly state that if left unattended then pool attendants will remove all your stuff. We witnessed some people literally going for a 10 min dip or for a quick bite of lunch to come back and find their stuff moved. We witnessed a few arguments but luckily it didn't happen to us.
(There is plenty of space on one side of the pool for a load more sunbeds, so why they can't just buy some more and stop upsetting many guests. Its supposed to be 5* after all!)
*The buffet in the main restaurant was always hot and freshly prepared, something you don't find as often these days. However, if you are travelling as a family, which a lot of people were, then there seemed to be no options for kids. There was an average selection but some dishes were pretty good quality.
Personally we found the service here better than any of the bars, drinks arrived quickly, and staff would mostly be very friendly (I think this probably due to the fact the manager here is always around and happy to meet with guests- something that can't be said for managers of any of the bars or in fact, any other manager in the hotel)
*The Bars. Probably the most disappointing part of the hotel. 3 bars.
Firstly the pool bar: Not really a bar, more a drinks dispense point. Unfortunately this closed at sunset which was a real shame as it would of been the one nice place to come and enjoy a drink in the evening, away from the terrible animation teams attempt at evening entertainment.
Selecion of beverages ok, however service mostly very poor. Just 1 example... I asked for an ash tray from a tray of cleaned ones at 4 pm to sit and read a book at one of the tables. I was told that these had just been cleaned and could not have one. Gave me a plastic cup with some water in (5*?)
Windsor Bar: Looks very nice and comfortable, although not on all inclusive, no major problem as they have a better menu. Happy hour 7-8pm. Great we thought. Got there at 7.30 on our first night. No customers, no staff. Sat at bar waiting for over 10 mins then left. Second night, same time, we tried again. A couple of customers this time but still no staff. Waited at bar again for 10 mins, staff member walked in, said he would be back in 5 mins, just had to do something. After waiting, we gave up.
The Piano Bar: We tried to avoid it as much as possible due to smell/ambience/service.
Always smelt of strong cleaning products. In the evenings it was always lit up in bright neon green or blue, not a nice lounge feel like in the pictures.
Service- If you went at the wrong time of day, there would be 1 guy trying to serve 20 customers. It is an oblong bar so he never see's who is next.
*Beach: Great, plenty of sunbeds, great for snorkelling, friendly little bar for lunch and drinks. Just be warned about queing for the bus back. The russians don't do queing so unfortunately the only way to guarantee a seat is by playing there game.

Overall
A really relaxing break, great weather. If your happy to lounge around the pool or beach all day then you will enjoy this hotel as these are its strong points. If you are after a hotel with 5* service, food and drink, you can find much better, real 5* hotels, for similar money.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Simon989898
Menno_De_Boer, Manager at Maritim Jolie Ville Royal Peninsula Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, August 24, 2011
Thank you for your analytical review, you mentioned some points which will be so helpful for us

Regarding your comment about the sunbeds, we already get more sunbeds for the pool area

Your suggestions about the pool bar will be into consideration as it is a good idea

Finally pleased to know that you at least got a relaxing break at our hotel

Hopefully we get a chance to welcome you again

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2011

I've taken a long time to think before writing this review so as to give a balanced view of this hotel.

This was our second visit to Sharm El Sheikh having stayed at the Reef Oasis Blue Bay Spa last year. This time round we booked late through Teletext holidays and thought we got a fair deal, but ended up paying more for ten nights here than we did for eleven at ROBB - not a good start, but the time of year difference made us pay more (we went in June before all the kids broke up for summer holiday last year).

Upon arrival at the hotel we were immediately offered an upgrade to an executive room for £13 per night. We eventually haggled this down to £95 for the duration with a mini bar and fruit basket thrown in free of charge and this is the first positive - the room was amazing. Spacious with two double beds, double sinks, shower, seperate bath and a living room area. However, there were a few issues with the room.

First, we had to call reception three times because the power failed to all the plug sockets in the room. There must obviously be some problem with the electrical circuits in the resort if other reviewers are complaining of sparks coming from plugs.

Second, we were assured there was not a problem with drainage in the resort (I emailed prior to arrival with some small concerns) but the showers do not drain properly, you must keep the shower door closed or it will overflow. There is always a swill in the bottom of the shower and it was unfortunately left to our cleaner to mop it up every morning.

Third, the mini bar was luckily thrown in for free and we made it last as the price of canned drinks to take back to the room is outrageous. I paid $12 for four cans of 7up (yes, $12!) and at the ROBB, a truly 5 star hotel in Sharm, the mini bar is free of charge. Disappointing, especially when you have paid for an upgrade.

Overall if you can afford it get the upgrade if for the room size alone, however you may hear noise from the entertainment if you are anywhere near the pool as we were in block 54 which was a fair distance from the stage and restaurant but we could still hear it. Good luck if you are facing into the pool!

Hotel is mainly populated by Russian/Germans, and English/Irish. Good mix, Russians can be a bit surly but not enough to spoil your holiday. The male Germans, 90% of whom were wearing Speedos, were a different story :)

Onto the food. There are three restaurants, and I'll start with the Peninsula (main restaurant). The food is OK, nobody is expecting Gordon Ramsay to cook for you at an all inclusive but the vegetarian options are poor, my partner resorted to eating cheese sandwiches every day for lunch and pasta for dinner which was rather bad. The breakfast however was plentiful and if you go for one meal make sure you're up for this.

The Thai restaurant is very nice, we ate there twice during our stay and how one reviewer said it was £35 per person was beyond me! We ate two starters, two mains and had two drinks each time and we never spent more than 280LE (about £30) for both of us. Worth it.

The Italian is also good, the pizza is very nice but here was my massive gripe. You are only entitled to eat there once during your stay!

During our visit to Egypt I proposed to my partner and asked reception very nicely if it was possible to provide us with another meal at the Italian restaurant seeing as we had already paid for an upgrade. I was told quite abruptly that we were only entitled to one voucher per week, and as we had only booked for ten days we weren't entitled to another voucher at all - not even a discount for a half week.

The answer I understood but I was treated very rudely and this is not the attitude you expect from a five star hotel. Again I return to our stay at the ROBB a year ago, you are given a choice of THREE FREE RESTAURANTS that you can use at leisure during your stay there (of any duration!), yet if you stay for 10 days you are only entitled to eat somewhere different once and pick at the buffet every other day. Poor.

Now onto everyone's main problem...the dreaded sun loungers! I have to admit that we clocked onto the systematic "reserving" of sunloungers very early, mainly because we set our watches wrong and ended up sunbathing among empty sunloungers that mysteriously had towels on them at 7am for the first two days! After that yes, we did reserve sunloungers for ourselves then have a couple of hours kip but there will always be abuse of sunloungers at hotels, it happens. Either give the towel guys a few quid to find you one, or get there early! One thing I will warn however is if you're not up early there's no chance you will get an umbrella, we had to get up early the last couple of days before we left as my partner got sunburn and needed an umbrella, but if you wake up any time past 8am you will end up in the sun.

The pool is very nice and the beach is well worth a visit, the beach bar gets very busy during eating times so make sure you're alert to that as well. Beach bus could be a bit more frequent but we only went once so can't complain too much about that one.

One bus we can complain about is the Naama Bay shuttle - sold out every time we phoned to get it. We were told by reception we needed to phone at 7am to get a place on it, so in the end we got bored and paid £8 for a return trip by taxi into Naama Bay. Be warned, if you haven't been into Naama before it's best to go as a group as you will get hassled, this is part of the culture but as we had been before I was prepared for this and can negotiate it well.

Credit where credit is due the vast majority of staff work very hard and are very friendly like all hotel staff in Egypt, but they are let down by a poor system where you are left ripped off by the hotel's policies and charging for things wherever they can. Free ice cream for kids but not adults?! COME ON! I LOVE ice cream!!

Finally a few more things I picked up from earlier reviews - yes, you can't get bottled water from the Peninsula restaurant before 12pm but you can wander to the main bar or the pool bar and they will give it to you free of charge there. No problems.

Second the illness, I got the Pharaoh's Revenge last time, this time it was my partner who got it and I was fine, I literally think it's dehydration that does it and not the food so much so if you make sure you drink a lot you should be fine and if the worst does happen there is a doctor on site - Imodium etc will not help you while you are there!

Third, yes the hotel is under the flight path, I'd say there are no more than 20 planes fly over during the day and the noise is over in roughly 20 seconds. You tune out of it after a couple of days and if it's that much of an issue, dive into the pool!

Fourth, try the bedouin shisha bar. Located past the gym, it's really nice to sit under the stars with a beer and a shisha pipe at night. NOTE - you will have to pay for this...notice how many times I'm saying you have to pay for things at an apparent all inclusive resort??

And finally (one for the lads), I was assured that I could watch Premier League football on the TVs in the bar and the room by the reception and bar staff, this was not true as they haven't paid for the package...hence the last minute run into Naama Bay's Tavern Bar to watch Newcastle v Arsenal!

That's it really, hope it has been helpful and not a ramble. The location in the mountains was amazing, but not a true all inclusive, nor a true 5 star hotel in my book. We probably won't return as you can get more for your money elsewhere, but don't think you won't have a good time on my count as we made the most of it!

Room Tip: Upgrade if you can afford it, if only to make sure your room is in a block near the pool but doesnt...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank skizzblog
Thank you for posting a Tripadvisor review

Your analytical review and your comments about having to pay will help us in evaluating our all-inclusive package

Sorry for the situation in which you treated very rudely and I will take the necessary action about it

Hopefully we get a chance to welcome you again

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2011

Ok, this could be lengthy so please feel free to get yourself a cuppa....

First of all I'll start by saying I'm not sure what hotel the people who have such huge complaints about the food, cleanliness and helpfulness of staff have been staying at because it's certainly not the same one my friend and I just called home for a fortnight!

LOCATION: this is great - you're one of the the first off from the airport and last to be collected so no long coach rides. This is also the case for excursions (the ones we went on anyway). Yes, you are in the airport's flight path and planes are very frequent, but after half a day (if that) you stop hearing them - and its not as if you have 747s hovering above you for hours - they're passed in seconds.
Still on location, you're far enough from the main Na'ama bay hustle and bustle yet close enough for a short taxi or bus ride. Taxis cost about 40 or 50 Le (£4-5) which is no more than you'd pay to get to town at home. The hotel does have a bus twice a night which takes you and collects you from Na'ama Bay which we thought was very good. Just call the concierge from your room before 9am and you're pretty much guaranteed on. There's also local buses running regularly that you just stop in the street - this is very cheap but manic and generally just used by locals.

STAFF - On arrival we were met by Hani at reception who was very friendly and spoke English very well. After a first day accident I was tended to incredibly well be reception staff and Doctor Yasser. They were so accommodating and we couldnt have managed the trip to the hospital without their help.

AMENITIES - Just one shop in the hotel but it sells everything from suncream and lilos to mars bars and souvenirs. If there's anything you cant find and really need then just ask the shopkeeper who will be more than happy to have the item for you the next day.
With free use of tennis/volleyball courts on All Inclusive you should definitely have a go. After 6pm there is a small fee for the courts, but I mean small, about £2.

FOOD - Breakfast - toast, french toast, omelettes, cereals, bread and pastries, fresh fruit,yoghurts,salads, preserves, cold meats, porridge, couscous, sausages, boiled egg, fresh pancakes (yummy!).... yet people STILL said there was nothing to eat! What do you have for breakfast at home?? Caviar and lobster?? There was something (we thought) for everyone and found breakfast the best meal of the day.
Lunch - mainly salads and sandwiches with soup always available. Again this was great as it was just enough for you in the middle of the day.
Dinner - although theme nights were advertised and we were always expectant of certain dishes, this was never really the case. However, this didnt stop us having a wide selection of food to choose from. Meats, vegetables, potatoes, rice, pasta... there really was no need to be hungry. All food was replenished quickly and was warm and edible. Drinks service was dependant on who your waiters were but if you get lucky like we did and have Mohamed, Mohamed (also ffrom Al Forno restaurant) , Abass and Ahmed (Al Forno also), you will have a table no problem, drinks on your table before you can order them and excellent service throughout your stay.

The service at the BBQ pool bar/diner wasn't so great, we only ate there once. The drink service there is efficient enough - though not always with a smile, but dont let it get to you as sometimes this is just the way and nothing personal.

POOL AREA - Hani on towel/leisure duties is fantastic, he was very friendly and always made a point of saying hello and coming to see we were ok. We noticed him doing his best to accommodate people when sunbeds were in short supply. Nader with his cold, refreshing menthol towels was a godsend on the hottest of days.
The pool itself is lovely. With plenty of space for ball games, children's areas and swimming if you fancy it, it really is great.

ROOM - We were never asked on arrival, or at anytime, if we wanted an upgrade - maybe this was kept for larger parties? Anyway, our room was still huge, two queensized beds, fridge, tv, safe, A/C and a massive bathroom/bath. The room was spotless and bed linen was changed every other day and towels changed as often as we desired. Our housekeeper, Hassabo, was a total star!! Always attentive and ensuring everything was ok. The one time we had a small leak from the bath and reported it to maintenance, we went to dinner, came back and it had been fixed. No problem!

*Please note that we were NOT providing huge tips tp staff for this service - we were simply courteous and well mannered - it goes a long way!*

BEACH - regular, free buses to the beach are fab! Spacious and comfy for the short ride to the beach. You will always get a sunbed at the beach if you simply cant stand trying to find one at the poolside. Please be aware that there are a lot of stairs to the beach area. The snorkelling is fantastic and the marine life is breathtaking. The beach restaurant is simplistic on All Inclusive but again in the middle of the day a panini or sandwich is just enough. Mohamed at the beach bar is very helpful and friendly.

ENTERTAINMENT - Only downside to this great hotel. During the day the activities are plentiful and you can do as much or as little as you choose, however at night the guests are left with little to watch. There's only so much bellydancing you can watch and if it wasnt for the guests getting involved there might very well be no entertainment at all!!
A real need for more tables/chairs a the stage area and perhaps more waiter service would mean less waiting time for drinks. The service in the Piano Bar is the worst in the complex and the bar staff make no effort to keep an eye on who's been waiting so we gave up on more than one occasion. This needs to be addressed as it was a major headache for a lot of guests.

ANIMATION/ENTERTAINMENT TEAM - Mohammed was very enthusiastic and always happy,he always had people responding to him and had high numbers for aquafit etc. However,the two females and the guy with the big hair were woeful!! Walking around with faces like wet weekends and very rarely interacting with people outwith duties they were not approachable at all. Thankfully we didnt have to have much to do with them.

EXCURSIONS - DO DO DO go quadbiking - especially at night when the scenery and sunset are simply beautiful. CLEOPARK waterpark is also a nice day out with 7-8 rides and a fantastic kids area its also quieter than the bigger AQUALAND. Also take time to visit the OLD MARKET, you'll get a cab for 50LE from the hotel. A chance to get a good haggle and a few bargains. You will get pestered (just like Na'ama Bay) but if you are firm yet polite the shopkeepers will be more responsive to you.

What else can I say? I cant think of what I may have missed but I'm sure there is something...

OH.... RUSSIANS!!! Beware of this very rude and aggressive race! I've never met such ignorant people and believe me it wasn't just people from the UK airing this view. Stand your ground, dont let them push in front or expect to get things before you.

All in all, we had a fantastic holiday, having a good mix of sunbathing, excursions, chilling, sightseeing and definitely eating! Post holiday diet has started!! A holiday is what you make of it and if you go with complaining in mind then thats all you're going to do. If you go with the hope that your room will be clean, your hotel will be well maintained, the food will be edible and the staff helpful then this will definitely not let you down.

If you want to ask me anything, please do, I will be honest with you.
You've probably finished that cuppa now.... Thanks for sticking with me!!

Room Tip: Noise does travel quite easily so be aware if you're having an argument.... (we listened to seve...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank NicNikScot
wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2011

The hotel is a good 5 star with the most exquisite rooms. They are huge, we had a suite with 2 lounges twin bathrooms complete with air conditioning, fridge, safe, kettle and two 37" flat screen tvs.
All rooms are ground level and they are set in circular buildings with 8 - 10 rooms in each, some are inter connecting for larger families.Our children's rooms were equally as big without the 2nd lounge and 2nd bathroom.

The buffet restaurant was well stocked with a good selection of cuisine to suit all tastes. The Thai restaurant onsite was superb with excellent service and beautiful food - well worth a visit.

The pool bar was well stocked and served snacks and meals throughout the day.
It worked out quite expensive if you were not staying all inclusive. We were on a bed and breakfast basis and meals in the hotel were pricey, but worth going to the restaurants a couple of times.

The onsite shop is not stocked with food for the bed and breakfast guests so the only option is to eat on site or go into Naama Bay by taxi / bus to get food and store it in the fridge in your room.

The pool staff will help you find sunbeds if you struggle, however you need to be reasonably early if you want to sit in certain areas.

You are given iced towels during hot periods with peppermint which is wonderful, you can also swap your towels as they get wet during the day as many times as you need to.

The daily entertainment is good with lots of pool activities i.e. volleyball, aerobics, dancing, the gym, tennis, table tennis etc. We didn't use the spa, however, our flight was late evening and we used the facilities in the spa to shower etc. before leaving and it was a beautiful place.

IMPORTANT - The onsite doctor should not be visited by a female on their own. As my husband left the room to comfort my child who was sick, the doctor made passes at me.

I would advise taking the all inclusive option to stay at this hotel as it is a bus/taxi ride away to Naama Bay and the hotel bus is always over full - Lots of fun with a singing driver though and quarrelsome Russians who complain that they can't get a seat etc.

Good trips - Quad biking, snorkelling.
We went to Cairo by road overnight and this was too far to go in 24 hours.The stop for breakfast was a filthy roadside cafe in the dessert and once we got there Cairo was filthy too. The museum has no air conditioning and the length between food times was too long. We really struggled. I would advise not to go unless you can afford to fly. My children adored the museum and the pyramids though.

Room Tip: All rooms are lovely but ask for a pool view - some can be facing the road
  • Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank anwen21
Menno_De_Boer, Manager at Maritim Jolie Ville Royal Peninsula Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, August 21, 2011
Thank you for posting a Tripadvisor review; pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel

Your comment about the doctor, a necessary action will be taken towards it as it is not acceptable

Hopefully we get a chance to welcome you back soon

Newton Stewart, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2011

We stayed here 29th July - 12 August. Me, my mum and my 2 kids.
Had an amazing suite with adjoining room for the kids who also had their own enormous bathroom.
The complex is beautiful, the massage - amazing. The beach is very good but the depth of the water meant my kids wouldn't go in to snorkel off the jetty.

The food isn't great but we managed to find something to eat at every meal. Breakfast was great with a really good selection.

Sunbeds were a problem - fine the first week when the complex wasn't full but the second week meant we had to be out for towels by 7am!!

Reception staff were fab - particularly Hami. Mohamed in the Peninsula Restaurant ( an Egyptian Vernon Kaye!) was great, really made an effort.
Some staff were rude but management have been made aware of that.

Boat trip to Ras Mohammed was excellent - book with a company in Naama Bay - less than a third of the price quoted by the tour reps who do your welcome meeting!

In Old Sharm the shopkeepers are just desperate for a sale - the revolution has hit Egypt hard - Sharm is actually doing well compared to places like Luxor yet they still struggle to make a living. I disagree with previous comments about needing to protect your woman. You just need to be confident and not take any crap. No need to be rude, just confident, I have travelled to Egypt many times though so know the score. I can see how for the first time visitor it might be somewhat offputting.

Soho Square was a pleasant change - Zen the Chinese Restaurant was good.

The free Shuttle to Naama Bay was almost always booked so we used taxis. The Lido at the Iberotel in Naama Bay does a canny steak and the Pomodora Italian Restaurant was pleasant. It makes a change from the same offering at the complex every night!

Yes, there were problems with service at the complex but for a relaxing break with plenty of sun and sea, you can ignore the niggles and make the most of it.

We too spent most nights away from the 'entertainment' as it wasn't fantastic but there weren't enough seats as it was without it actually being good!

The rooms are amazing and warrant a 5 Star Rating but the service doesn't.

I would, however, still return.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2011

Myself and my wife booked this because of it's good reviews. However compared to other sharm hotels it is poor. Hotel claims buffet restaurant serves all American breakfast but it doesn't. Food in here is of poor quality and service is a complete joke.

The Italian is nice but you can only go once a week.

Thai is very good but costs about £35 per person

Pool staff are appalling, you have to fight with Russians for sunbeds ad not enough. Staff want money to reserve you a bed. The beach and bar at beach is ok. Golf at sister hotel is good but a rip off for price.

Overall it's poor and if you check on tripadvisor youll find better hotels for same price.

Finally I did complain and very little got done.

• Stayed August 2011
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank liam6913
Menno_De_Boer, Manager at Maritim Jolie Ville Royal Peninsula Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, August 20, 2011
Thank you for posting a Tripadvisor review; regret to know that our hotel didn’t meet your expectation

Your remarks regarding the food and the service will be into consideration to see where improvements can be made

Hopefully we get a chance to change your bad idea about our hotel