1,009 results
All reviewslobby barmr salahasian restaurantanimation teammain restaurantsea viewbeauty salonspecial thanksdive schoolrelaxing holidaycoral reeffishall inclusive packagenemopoolssunbedssharm
Reviewed March 18, 2015

Me and my mum came to this hotel on the 2nd March for 1 week, the picture in the brochure sold this for us also the fact that it is adult only!
we got one of the best rooms right at the front 9002, there are suites and swim up rooms available as well which looked lovely. The hotel was only half full when we came which was great as we could book the al a carte restaurants a few times which were really nice.
Breakfast was lovely,had omelettes or pancakes every day made fresh, for lunch there is the buffet restaurant or the pool bar which we went to every day, great handmade pizzas!
The staff were the nicest we have encountered in Egypt, Saad the pool boy in the lower pool was so lovely, saved our beds every day when we came down, nothing was to much hassle he also got us snorkels and magazines if we wanted them.
We also took a boat trip with the Nemo diving centre which is on the hotel complex, X the guy who sells the boat trips is another lovely guy and the day trip to Tiran island and snorkelling was really great. Thomas Cook try's to tell you to book the same boat trip with them which is more expensive and a shorter trip so defiantly book with the dive centre, much better!! The manager Mr Wali is a really lovely man and always asked us for feedback and comments, there was a managers cocktail event which we went to, which is a great added bonus for a 5 star hotel.
We have stayed at Rixos and Stella Di Mare hotel is Sharm, number 1 & 2 on trip advisor, this should defo be in the top 3

Room Tip: 9002 but all the rooms have good views!
  • Stayed: March 2015, traveled with friends
1  Thank Gemma C
Montemare R, General Manager at SUNRISE Montemare Resort -Grand Select- (Adults Only), responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2015

Dear Gemma C,

Thank you very much for having chosen Sunrise Grand Select Montemare Resort for your holiday.

On behalf of the team, I would like to thank you for attending our monthly staff party and sharing the happy moments with the team members, your attendance was highly appreciated by everyone.

We would like to take this opportunity as well to thank you for your constructive comments which are a true guide for improvement of our service.

We all look forward the honor of welcoming you back HOME to showcase the improvements achieved based on our valued guest comments.

Welcome HOME is always our greeting to you

Sincere regards,

Reviewed March 18, 2015

Well not sure where to start..We travelled to this hotel for a 5 Day break, from the moment that we arrived at the Montemare are *5star * experience began. This Hotel is stunning, The Setting,Staff,Gardens,Beach,Pools are all amazing. We had a Superior Double with sea view Room 6202 and Wow what a sea view, the hotel is built in levels so a lot of up and Down you have to be fit and up for a daily work out but after all the Food and Drink that you consume Whats wrong with a morning walk and a evening stagger to your room .....If you are not one for a bit of exercise then you will be picked up and Dropped off at your request with the hotel Buggy service NOTHING is to much trouble ..The Top swimming pool is heated with its own bar and restaurant a stones throw away a small gift shop and goody shop (Crisps and sun suff and Chocolate)..Down on to the Sun deck levels well what can I say wonderful wicker sun loungers and parasols fluffy towels and a bar service of the highest standard . The gardens are stunning it looks as if the gardeners 'Hover' the lawns and pathways ..Then comes the WOW FACTOR The Beach is breath taking and the Montemare has a proper wooden jetty out to the Reef not a silly blue plastic thing that you risk your life on to get to the reef to snorkel.
At this point I must mention the Nemo Dive Centre this is On sight and so well run and equipped my Dive Buddy was Mustaffa and looked after me in the Sea as it was a bit choppy and after 45 mins I got very tired we paid for a snorkel buddy as I felt safer not to be alone due to the fact that I am not the strongest swimmer it was worth every penny I think about £20 after my sea adventure I was given the chance to do a test pool dive OMG how fab was that O.K its hard work but being squeezed into a Rubber suit by two Hansom Egyptian men made my Day (Lol)

My partner had to return to the U.K so I had to stay for the last three days on my own. On my Own in Egypt? Never have I ever felt so safe and cared for every single member of staff in that hotel new my name and nothing was to much trouble down to the last thing.

Now to mention all the Staff ...Ali was my room man and my room was spotless everyday everything was replaced and filled up. folded and fluffy towels changed every day without even having to ask inc Coffee and tea and Bottled Water .

The Hotel has a wonderful Spa and also a Small Beauty Salon 'Ruby' comes to you on the beach to ask if they came help you with any treatments we had a wonderful pedicure and face treatment we loved everything (No hard Sell) All of the staff are lovely and made so much effort ..

Down on the beach Mohammed (Wales) brought me endless drinks Tonic in the mornings and then a little something stronger after lunch. Wales you were so kind to me and I will never forget your service Peter thanks you for looking after me Mohammed even went to ask two people if they new where I had gone when my sun lounger was empty for a time I forgot to tell him that I had a date at the Dive centre (sorry)..

Sam in customer relations I would love your job you have a fab hotel to work with ..
Now lets reflect on why this hotel is not rated a 5* in my opionion its for one reason only the hotel has only just been taken over by the Sunrise Group and they are making changes left by previous owners So give it time Get there quick before this fab place get to popular we loved the fact that it was relitivly quite this is surly down to it being a genuine ADULTS ONLY Hotel Yes not a BRAT insight 'Heaven'
Cannot wait to go back and yes hope to see some changes but loved it loved it enjoyed everything.
Must just add if you are a Lady on your own and wanting a holiday Go to this Hotel you will be treated like a Princess

Don't book this Hotel as I want it all to myself x x x

Room Tip: All rooms with a sea view had a sea view WOW what a veiw
  • Stayed: March 2015, traveled solo
4  Thank Hazell85

Dear Hazell85,

We would like to thank you for choosing SUNRISE Grand Select Montemare Resort to spend your holiday and thank you for taking that time to share us your detailed review.

Nothing makes us happier than reading a review like yours, Your gratitude will be conveyed to all team members especially the mentioned ones as We cannot see a better motivation than your own words.

Thank you very much for recommending us, All the team members are looking forward to welcoming you soon at HOME.

Sincerely Yours,

Reviewed March 18, 2015

Just got back from this hotel & all the staff are amazing !!! Mustafa made our spa experience fabulous, his a credit to the hotel.Also Muhammed made our holiday special and works so hard. Food always good & hot with plenty to choose from. They have a few teething problems but I have no doubt they will sort them out. Will definitely be returning to this hotel in the future.
Hope to see you all soon.
Cindy & Matthew Sanham

Stayed: March 2015, traveled as a couple
Montemare R, General Manager at SUNRISE Montemare Resort -Grand Select- (Adults Only), responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2015

Dear Cindy & Matthew,

Thank you for the great review of Sunrise Grand Select Montemare Resort.

We are delighted to know that you have enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you soon again to your HOME to showcase our rectification of the teething problem.

Best regards,

Reviewed March 17, 2015

This hotel deserves to do well, however, I read "it is new" looking at the place I can not agree with this for one second, it has been around for a good few years, but it does appear to be under new management and they are spending money on the place.
What makes this place is the staff, I can not fault any of them, some offer over and above the call of duty service and friendliness, my wife wanted to bring a number of them home with us.
It is just a 20 minute taxi ride, or if you are like us, we took the included bus and it took 2.5 hours from touch down to hotel arrival !!
Pros, excellent service, great food, nice beach, nice sized rooms, snorkeling location, the special restaurants on site.
Cons, 160 steps from beach to reception, (but they do warn you of this), horrible red wine (red wine being my drink, but not here, I changed to white for the duration)
long waits after ordering, normally the service is great and friendly, but often you had a long wait for drinks, especially on the beach.

Would we return ? = Can't wait

More details
Hotel grounds:Very large, very nicely kept, on the side of a hill, a golf cart will pick you up needed, often seen around at any time.
Food: Generally all great, a little different to what we are use toin UK, but along the same lines, I did not find anything we did not like
Restaurants
Main, large with attentive staff, plenty to choose from for all meals, some of the food looked extremely well made and most tasted very nice.
Pool bar at bottom of steps, great for lunch, small portions, Fish & Chips were lovely, Burger was great, Pizzas were very nice, but different to what you might expect.
Asian: Very nice food, but again, small portions, done in two sittings, 7 & 8 PM, this was not a problem, it appeared you had the table as long as you needed it, it appeared to be to help the food preparation more than anything.
Italian, this was the one that got the worst reviews, but in our opinion, it was the better one of the two, one night I went for the steak, it was one of the best I had ever had out, the next two were not so good.
When booking for the Italian or Asian, it asks is the meal to celebrate a special occasion and asks you what it is, we answered, yes & birthday, (wife's special birthday) on the evening NOTHING happened in the slightest, so that as a waste of time asking.
By separate means they did send a cake to our room together with two apples and a card.
While sat around the hotel we were asked on a lot of occasions what we thought, and they made notes of anything you mentioned, they clearly want to get it right.
Drink: The only drink I had to avoid was the red wine, I drink wine that costs between £6 to £10 from UK supermarkets, this red wine was like very cheap French red wine, not even good enough to cook with, so I swapped to white wine, something I never drink, but this was OK.
Beer, the only beer worth having was the "Stella", I do not think it was the Stella we know here, but it was by far the best one, bottled and not available from all bars.
All the other drinks tasted OK, I tried most, but sadly I drank all day, with no drunken effects in the slightest, you got the taste with no drunken effects.
Had I drunk half the amount I did at home, I would not have remembered most of the holiday, so the good thing is, you can drink all day long and not get drunk.
Bars:In the reception area, this is where the evening entertainment is, a typical hotel bar/reception area, with nightly entertainment for those that want it, we did not.
Sports bar: worth finding if you want to be entertained, if only by the barman, he makes the film "cocktail" look slow, all loud and fun, but you have to search for it.
Beach / Pool bar: Often ran out of drinks, a very poor offering, by 5PM, they had often run out of most of what we liked, so not over impressed but great friendly staff and great lunch time place.

Sleep quality:Great beds, with nice linen, we slept very well once we were moved to a room out of block 6000.
Room: Yes, people have mentioned the grouting, and yes in our two rooms it was far from good, but why mention it, I only did as others had, it is fine, you are only staying here, not buying the place, REALLY?
the showers are great and large.
Safe in room: a great unit, the code can be changed with every use, so make sure you remember the code you last used.
Fridge in the room: only stocked every 4 days and only has fizzy drinks, so if you are there for just one week you will only get one refill, our one was not very well refreshed.
TV, about 160 channels from memory, but mainly all in different languages, for the Brits they had the BBC news channel.
Joining door: This was a major problem for me, at mid-night when our next door neighbours returned from the bar, they might as well have been in our room, we heard the TV and all their chat till they went to sleep, we got moved the next morning !

Asian restaurant: Nice Chinese food, nice decor, nice service, only issue we had one night was, I ordered my dessert and had to wait 1 hour for it, I wa sin no rush, so no problem but they had forgot it.
Italian restaurant: Great food and service, well done Waleed, on the first night I had an amazing steak one of the best out, ever, the other two nights it was only OK, but still nice, this place got a lot of flack, but all we can say is, we liked it and went there 3x.
The only thing I would say about the above two special restaurants, the portions are small, I do not normally have a dessert, but each time we ate here, I had to have one to fill me up.
Fish restaurant: Not opened yet, you could have the food, but in another restaurant, but for this, it was an extra charge as the Fish Restaurant is not included.
Pools: A good number of pools around, the only heated one was like a bath according to others that visited it, it also has a bar
Dress code: We read every where that long sleeves only for the restaurants, this was not the case while we were there, we saw lots of people in all types of clothing at anytime in any restaurant, & we know nobody said anything to any of the people we spoke to afterwards.
This did annoy me a bit, as I took lots of long sleeve shirts as this was the Co policy, so I feel I wasted my effort.
While there we were told the hotel was only at around 50% to 65% capacity, the staff struggled to keep up with this, so they need more staff to avoid upsetting customers with long waits.
While walking around the hotel grounds we saw many rooms being decorated.

Diving, there is a diving school there and "X" will approach you to sell you their wonderful offerings, sadly I had a chest infection & was unable to go, but I now know for the first time in 40+ years what I want for my next birthday present, I want to return and take advantage of their offerings and become qualified. The Red sea is perfect for this.

Swim up rooms, these looked to me a waste of time, all I saw were a few rooms that had a small semi private pool outside their patio doors, each one over looked the other pools, so no privacy, pictures included.

Local Attractions: Not a lot to go to outside the complex on foot, apart from, to the south, a memorial site for a 2004 air crash, we walked down (1/2 mile) to it at sunset and got some nice pictures, it seems to be an attraction for holiday makers in mini buses.
To the north, again 1/2 a mile, there are lots of shops, mainly selling tourist rubbish, you do get pestered by the shop keepers every step you take, once they get you in their shop, you will not get out without buying something.
Watch out for the camel lad, he charged someone GB £10 for a quick ride on his camel, he tried to get me to sit on it, but no thanks.

The airport is far enough way not to be of any trouble, we live 20 miles away from Heathrow & it was no different to being at home.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with no joining door
  • Stayed: February 2015, traveled as a couple

Dear KevGSmith,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your positive experience at Sunrise Grand Select Montemare Resort.

We are extremely delighted to read that you have enjoyed the food, the room, the diving and the sports bar.

Your constructive comments are highly appreciated and taken seriously into consideration for improvements.

We look forward welcoming you again at you "HOME".

Best regards,

Reviewed March 17, 2015

Returned (8th Mar) from this hotel and not been to Sharm before but had been to Luxor and Hurgarda. Have shied away from All Incl before so wasnt quite sure how it would be. This was a Thomas Cook Signature hotel (adults only) and facilities were great. There were plenty of sunbeds across the site and you could go pretty much where and when you wanted anytime of the day with no mass rush to reserve beds. The locals said that bookings were down so maybe its different at other times.
The hotel has 4 restaurants. The holiday details had advised there would be a charge for Seafood, Italian,Asian with the buffet the standard. I did not meet anyone who was charged extra although the Asian gets booked up fast and was not sure the seafood restaurant had actually opened as yet due to lower numbers of guests. All food at all places was good with the Teppanyaki in the Asian a highlight. Drinks were all local stuff and measures were generally a little smaller but ask the bar staff to put in some more and its no problem, although some of the cocktails ranged from poor to great depending on who was serving you. See Mustapha who runs the lounge bar and Marcos who makes the best Mojito at the place.
The pool bar does drinks and snacks all day and the staff are very attentive and service is very good, particularly Mohammed al Sayed who seemed to pop everywhere across the whole hotel. The beach is sand with small stones but is relaxing and quieter with a nice breeze off the water so be careful you don’t burn.

Need to knows –The hotel is built on a slope so lots of steps that wouldnt suit everyone, although there is a golf cart that will take you where you want to go. All staff from gardeners, cleaners, bar and catering staff are friendly, helpful and cant do enough to make you feel welcome. Anything you want just ask. The Hotel is spotless in all areas and you are really made to feel welcome. With T.Cook.trip options are limited with pricey trips to Cairo (£170 pp) and Luxor (£175 pp). A few boat trip options and we thought the evening to Soho Square was rubbish (not much there really) and Naama Bay seemed to be like a version of Magaluf with Egyptian “souvenirs” the difference and we could have gone on our own via a taxi just as cheaply. We may be older but enjoy a good time but not wall to wall bars etc etc.Beware that while the drinks in most bars may be a little under strength at the Hardrock Cafe they are not but neither are the prices. Better to take a walk (appx 20 mins) down to the open air mall area near the hotel . Plenty of bars and restaurants if thats what you want.
Dont know if they can hold the price we paid for too long if the tourist numbers get back to normal but would be happy to return anytime and recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Couldnt see a bad room at the place although I would suggest a room nearer the top pool level to avoid lots of steps before and after dinner.
  • Stayed: March 2015, traveled as a couple
Montemare R, General Manager at SUNRISE Montemare Resort -Grand Select- (Adults Only), responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2015

Dear acdmc,

It comes with pleasure to learn that you have liked the facilities, food in the a la carte restaurants, the bars service and the beach.

We appreciate your constructive comments regarding the cocktails and beverages which we ill take the necessary measures to improve.

We will be always looking forward to welcoming you back again to your "HOME"

Sincere regards,