“Not as good as we thought” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Coral Sea Holiday Village
Ranked #26 of 232 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Cumbria
“Not as good as we thought”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2010

We stayed for the first 2 weeks in June with a 1 yr old and 10 yr old twins. We had a large room opposite the quiet poor so location was good (but a 15 min walk from kids club which was a pain as had to sign twins out at 11pm most nights!).
On arrival (late at night) we had no cot and no camp beds. We had to request several times before they arrived and god knows where they found them! The cot was more like a washing trolley! But they were replaced the next day with proper single beds and a wooden cot.
The food soon gets boring.. chips, pasta etc. Remember too that you cant get pork or anything made from pork..... no bacon for your breakfast! And its scrum down to get your dinner!! Leave your manners at the door or you will go hungry. My poor kids spent so long waiting in line the first couple of days I ended up telling them to queue jump.
If you leave the resort and turn right, just opposite you will find McDonalds, KFC, TGIFridays... not my normal choice but a very welcome change from steamed beef! And you will get some hassle from shop owners but just say no and they leave you alone (even though they all claim to be your best friend with best deals!).
The staff are very friendly and were very good with my children. The Beauty staff are a real pain. They hassle you all the time at the pool side and some cant seem to take no for an answer. And I thought it was a bit expensive.
We went on a glass bottom boat which we booked on the beach with a company called Aquarius, cheaper than first choice. It was brilliant. We saw loads of fish and coral. It was great.
The beach isnt sand, its grit. A bit like the bottom of a quarry! But the sea is great with loads of fish to see.
It was very hot when we stayed, 40 plus during the day and not dropping below 30 at night which got a bit much at times.
We never had a problem getting sunbeds in the morning by the quiet poor. We didnt use the main poor as it was very crowded and a bit chavy.
The kids clubs were great. They have a daily Stay and Play which I took my 1yr old to. It was in an airconditioned room and great as he could crawl around which he couldnt do anywhere else.
Then there were the upset tummys. Me and my partner had to make frequent toilet visits with a couple of days of arriving and we never really recovered until we came home. We spoke to the reps about this and they werent suprised saying that a lot of people suffer. Had we of known we could have brought some medication with us just in case! It was more of an anoyance than anything as we couldnt stray too far from the loos! By the second week we all had it and this is not good if you have a child in nappies! We spent a small fortune on pills and nappies and I'm not sure the medication made much difference. 2 days before we were due to leave, me and the older 2 got a stomach bug with the worse sickness I have ever had. Made difficult by the fact we only had one toilet to share. I'm just glad it happened at the end of our holiday as it took a while to recover fully.
All in all the holiday was ok. The resort is stunning. But I'm with the other reviews on here... it is very Butlins with sun! Far more chavy than I thought it would be considering how much it costs. The older kids had fun but they found the heat too much sometimes and there is very little for adults to do unless you like pub quizes or Xfactor wanabes!!!!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank SezzleCumbria

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,834)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
st albans,
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2010

We had very high expectations after reading all the reveiws and maybe that is why we were a bit disappointed. On arrival we were an hour late and arrived in at about hald ten in the evening. We were dumped in reception - no reps! and assigned a man to show us to our room along with about 10 other guests. We were not told where anything was in the hotel and our guide decided to go from reception down a huge flight of stairs when we had a buggy and did not slow down for us. He then pointed us in a vague direction and told us our room was there. It is very big complex and it was pitch black. Needless to say it took a while to find our room and really disappointed not to be have been given any idea where anything was in the hotel. However, the room was fantastic, we had a kids den room which was huge and spotless. The bed was huge and as everyone says was hard but we thought comfortable. After a bad start we found our way to the restuarant with some help from guests for breakfast in the morning. The breakfasts were def the best meals of the hols. I would def recommend taking a walk round the resort to get your bearings. We were not told where you could get snacks from or where you could eat lunch so had to find out own way which we did. The pool was fantastic and we were in a great location with our room right by the slides. The kids club staff were brilliant and in particular the evening entertainment from Lauren and the others was excellent. My kids (2 and 4) loved this part of the holiday. There was always something going on for the kids and most of the staff seeemed to really enjoy their jobs with the kids. We prob didnt make as much use of the clubs as our kids are still quite young but there was so much for them to do it was brilliant.

The food was average and yes you could find something to eat as there was pasta and pizza and chips. I think it is probably a difference in culture and quality of ingredients but you wont go hungry. With young kids we didnt make use of the additional restuarants so maybe that woudl make the difference to a variety of food.

Three out of four of us got a dodgy belly and as my daughter is four it certainly wasnt to do with drinking alcohol in the day and we didnt indulge either. I think it is obviously heat related and it was very very hot when we were there. We did take the famous yellow and black tablets and it did clear up within a very short time. The alchol is disgusting. The vodka and gin are vile and tate like rum or brandy. I would def recomend bringing your own bottle from the duty free and lots of people had done that. You cannot get any decent brands over there so make sure you buy before you come in the country.

It does not cool down in the eves so be prepared to sweat!! The evening entertainment is outside in the amphi theatre which is a great venue but unfortunately like a furnace. The brick is so hot it makes you sweat sitting on it! I understand the week we were there it was particularly hot and maybe it is cooler at different times of the year. However they had a huge function room which would have been so much better for the time of year we were there. I felt so sorry for the staff who were wearing full on costumes and dont know how they managed and done such a great job.

All in all we had a great time and there were so many positives and we would go back but not in the hottest month of the year!! We are going to try out another holiday village for definite as the concept is fantastic.

1 Thank fififitz
north wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2010

We are a family of 2 adults and three children ages 5,8 & 10. This hotel was just perfect for our needs. The interconnecting rooms we had were huge! Always clean and tidy. Surrounding areas are well maintained by friendly staff. My Husband and I have stayed in 5* Hotels in Dubai so I wouldn't really rate this as a couples hotel in comparison. Saying that, I wouldn't hesitate in bringing my family back here. The children had something different to do every day. From zip wires to circus school!!! We also booked some swimming lessons for our youngest. I was amazed how well she came on in just a week. The food was fine and always hot. As far as drinks are concerned we stuck to beer (stella) and the odd vodka and coke. Plenty of soft drinks for the children and free bottled water in the room every day which you could refill at one of the many cold water dispensers. The beach is fabulous along with the snorkelling - take your own coral shoes and snorkel kit! We stayed between the 22nd and 29th June and the pool was only closed once because of a poo problem (this is not the fault of the hotel). Tip the pool boy £10 GBP on the first day and this will ensure you get a great sunbed every day without the need to get up at silly o clock!! Have a good hunt around for the different bars and snack stations and don't be afraid to venture out into the nearby shops. Just be prepared to have a little light hearted banter with the locals. Please don't be put off by bad reviews. We have high expectations as a family and for the price we paid, I really can't complain. We will more than likely book again for next year.

6 Thank sambomambo
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2010

We arrived home yesterday and want to go straight back. We had an 11yr old and a 2yr old who both loved it. Great value for money. Great Service. Ignore the negative reviews and GO!! Also we met lots of really nice people there and look forward to keeping in touch.
We were pleasantly surprised by our room. Block 13 overlooking the quiet pool. It was very big in every way. Large bathroom/toilet, a hall area bigger than our box room at home, the bed was huge (3pillows wide). There was ample room for the camp bed for our 11yr old and the cot for our 2 yr old with room to spare for a 3 seater sofa and coffee table! Plenty of TV stations and spotlessly maintained. The only negative was that it was a bit of a trek to the main pool/beach.
• Food and Drink
The main buffet restaurant was big with plenty of tables. We were a party of 7 most days and never had a problem getting a table. I read one review here giving out that there was no table service – IT’S A BUFFET! The same review gave out about no Egyptian food – there was a whole dedicated section for Egyptian Cuisine! A great variety of food to suit all tastes. Yes a little bit of queuing involved but nothing major.
The A La Carte restaurants were lovely and never too busy even though it’s difficult to get a booking when you want one. We did have one negative experience in the Mediterranean restaurant because the a/c wasn’t working and it was 40+ degrees outside!
The drink was more than acceptable for an all-inclusive resort. My wife drank vodka which she liked and I drank beers or whiskey – no complaints.
• Pools
OK a negative here – the main pool was closed several times because someone was pooing in the pool! Obviously this is the guest’s fault. Seriously if you can’t afford swim nappies you shouldn’t be booking a holiday. Each time meant the pool was closed for approx 2 hours while they cleaned and treated it. Apart from these unpleasant incidents the pools are all lovely (5 in all). Difficult enough to get a sun bed but once again you can chalk that up to the guests – reserving beds early and then heading off for the day!
• Entertainment / Activities
Enough to keep anyone going for the day adult or child. Zip wire, Fan jump, Quizzes, Pool party, Bingo, Karaoke to mention but a few. One small criticism – the evening entertainment for the kids was in the amphitheatre which was like a furnace as one day it hit 47 degrees while a big air conditioned room with a stage sat idle. I’m sure if they moved it there would be people with the opposite argument however.
• Staff
You couldn’t say a bad word about the staff. They work bloody hard and long hours. They do NOT hassle you for tips but are very grateful if you do tip them. We arrived after midnight and I got confused with exchange rates and tipped the concierge L.E.£1 which is about 12p – very embarrassing! Very good with the kids – always smiling and joking.
• Diving
We went Scuba Diving with the Aquarius lads – highly recommended. Stg£70 for a boat trip including all drinks, lunch and 2 dives. They will even give you £20 back if you don’t go down for the 2nd dive. The instructors are excellent and had our 11 yr old and her 10 yr old friend down at 12metres no probs. Wonderful experience. Congratulations to the couple who got engaged down in the water if you are reading this!

Feel free to contact us with any queries / questions!!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Declan D
leeds
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2010

We booked CS HV based largely on some excellent Trip Advisor reviews and a ranking of 5th best hotel within Sharm el Sheikh (at time of booking). Having read some of the latest reviews this place clearly divides opinion but for me was hugely disappointing when compared to previous resourts we have stayed at .

The positives are the location as the complex is situated right on the beach next to the beutiful red sea. The complex is also spacious, clean & well kept. The a la carte restaurants are good serving authentic food in each of the indian, chinese & meditteranean eateries. The biggest plus point is the holiday clubs for children of all ages with a small army of holiday reps employed to keep the kids busy from dawn until dusk. However this for me is also the biggest problem as the resort predominently attracts families and was completely overrun with children (even though we travelled outside of school holidays) giving the place the feel of a holiday camp. This is probably great if you are travelling with a family which no doubt explains some of the better reviews but not so good for couples seeking a relaxing break.

The negatives were that both pools were crowded and very noisy. The majority of sunbeds were reserved early via a variety of towels and inflatables despite hotel notices prohibiting this practice. The smaller pool is described as a quiet pool but is just as manic as the main pool. Bizarrely the holiday reps also conducted a daily pub quiz at lunchtime every day which seemed an odd concept for the quiet pool !! One further point to note is that the pools had to be closed several times during our stay due to excrement - nice !!

As previously stated the a la cartes are good but the main buffet restaurant is complete mayhem. Collecting your food & returning to your table with everthing still in tact can only be compared to an episode of total wipeout !! There is no waiter service so having run the gauntlet you then need to take up the challenge once again to obtain a drink. The whole place just gave me the feel of school dinners (possibly again due to the number of small children charging around) & was a very unenjoyable experience. The food on the whole was average. Initially it felt as though there was a decent selection but this became very repetitve & seemed to consist largely of chips, pizza, pasta, sauage and sea bass. There are several alternate eateries for lunch but we quickly learned there was no differention as they all served the same stuff. I can't help feeling that the hotel were trying too hard to please the brits by serving food such as toad in the hole, shepards pie, fish and chips & lasagne. In my view this is never as good as home cooked food & the hotel would be better served offering more local cuisines. One final point on the buffet was that the juices served tasted like orange squash. I spotted some fresh orange at the breakfast buffet one day but was informed there was a charge of 20 egyptian pounds (approx £2.50 per glass) - again this is unacceptable in my view for an all inclusive resort as i don't regard orange juice as a luxury item when parting with my hard earned cash to book a holiday.

The choice of drinks available at the various bars was very limited. The beer was ok in my view but the usual array of cocktails was sadly lacking with only 7 or 8 concoctions available & none of the classics you would normally expect. Also because the main ingredient to most of these drinks was dilute orange or dilute pineapple juice they generally tasted foul. One further criticism of the bars was lack of ice !! This was very hit and miss with none being available for the first few days of our stay which for me is unacceptable with temparatures touching 50 degrees.

The rooms are spacious but the air conditoning in our initial room was extremly noisy preventing a decent nights sleep for the first few days of our holiday. My biggest issue with the room was that the electrics (inc air con) which were controlled by the key card so everything was deactivated when you left your room. Again i feel this unacceptable in such tempertatures although when we changed rooms this problem was resolved & the air con remained on all day keepong the room nice & cool.

Aside from the guy who cleaned our room i can't recall any examples of good service or even a friendly greeting / conversation with the staff who seemed to prefer not to engage in conversation wherever possible.

We booked excursions to Cairo, Luxor & a Red Sea cruise each of which were excellent. Upgrading to the relative peace of a swim up room rescued the holiday but i find it annoying that i had to incur this extra expense to enjoy some relaxation.

This place is worth considering for families but hopeless for couples. I won't be returning with or without a family !!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank longers100
midlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2010

Some people must have stayed at a different hotel. We found it clean, our room was big and comfortable, staff helpful and considering the number of people they had to cater for the restaurant was efficient and the food more than acceptable with pizza counter, pasta counter, & BBQ etc in addition to the regular offerings, plus three visits to the gourmet restaurants - the Indian in particular was great. Drinks were plentiful and the beer was fine.
The pools were crowded but the superb private beach was empty, with plenty of free sun beds and warm sea with beach bar to hand. Some people it seems see no further than the pool. Yes at times it could seem like Blackpool, but that was due to some of the Brits staying there more than the hotel.
If you want culture don't go to Sharm El Sheik - it's only 30 years old. But it's great for beach and diving/snorkeling. If you want to see a bit of culture take the day trip to Cairo as we did - tiring and hectic but worth it.
It's aimed at children, but there's also the quiet bar for adults only which we spent several nights at with only about half a dozen other people there and free table service.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank mart-sar
surrey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2010

We have just returned from our 3rd stay at this hotel and we had a brilliant time. How people can moan about this place beats me they must be very fussy people.

All the staff work so hard and in regards to tips we didn't give any tips until we left and we had great service from everyone.

This is a brilliant place to take children although it was very hot when we were there( in the 50s). Plent of things to keep the kids entertained.

The food was great, loads of different things why some people moan about having chips all day the answer is simple DON'T EAT THEM.

Brilliant snorkelling off the jetty,lots of beautiful fish.
Another wonderful holiday for us, to all the people that moan you must of been staying in a different hotel to us.