“Fun for all the family - Excellent holiday!!!”

Coral Sea Holiday Village
Ranked #24 of 234 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
London, United Kingdom
“Fun for all the family - Excellent holiday!!!”
Reviewed May 13, 2010

First let me just say that my partner and I are 27 with no children, so our type of holidays are normally very relaxing with no children in sight! However, my partner’s father kindly decided that to celebrate his 60th we would have a family holiday in the sun. Our party was made up of 6 adults, age ranges from 27 to 60 and 4 children age ranges from 3 and half to 11. Finding somewhere to accommodate everyone was never going to be easy but the Holiday Village was brilliant. Before we went I read a comment with someone saying it was like Butlins in the sun (my worst nightmare). However, I can honestly say that it was nothing of the sort.

Accommodation and Grounds

The hotel is approximately 10-15 mins from the airport which is very handy. On arrival you notice just how lovely the hotel grounds are in a country with hardly any greenery. The gardeners worked tirelessly to ensure the grounds were stunning. The reception desk staff were very helpful on arrival and we were very impressed with our rooms which were huge and very comfortable. The family in our party had two adjoining rooms which were ideal and provided an absolutely huge room for 6. The rooms were always spotless.

Be warned, the hotel is HUGE!!!!! The hotel grounds span a vast area and it probably takes a good 10 mins to get from the main reception to the al a carte restaurant on the beach. I still didn’t quite know where I was going after a week!!! Definitely not a hotel where everything is on top of each other which was very nice considering the hotel was full the week we were there.

The hotel is right on the beach too and if you like snorkelling make sure you take your own. It was great. Highly recommend buying some sea shoes though. They can be purchased in the hotel and were definitely a good buy for walking out to the coral reefs.

Food & Drink

The buffet restaurant was really good. A good variety for all tastes with several serving stations cooking food to order such as pasta, pizza, omelettes, grilled items etc. It does get a little busy and it shuts for 30 mins halfway through the evening to replenish the buffet (so a queue tended to form outside around that time). We also ate at the Mediterranean and the Japanese (which you can eat at once during a weeks stay). Both of which were very nice and made a nice change from the buffet. My partner and I and his parents also ate at the seafood restaurant on the beach one night which was very nice. This however is not included in the all inclusive and you will need to pay to visit this restaurant. Well worth a visit but probably not with children (kind of defeats the object which is why it was almost empty when we were there. The snack bars were also great throughout the day and offered the usual burgers, chips, chicken etc. Basically you could never be hungry at the Holiday Village.

I read many reviews about the drinks at the hotel and all I can say is if you go to all inclusive resorts you will know what to expect. There are very few all inclusive resorts that serve international brands so you can expect to be served the local brands but pretty much everything was on offer.

Hotel Facilities

The pools were lovely with the main pool having a swim up bar, which was very popular with the men in our group. There was also a kiddies pool with slides and all sorts as well as a smaller pool with two large water slides for the older children. This was very popular.

The hotel facilities were great with the children never getting bored. From cake making to archery to raft building to a teddies bear picnic there was always something going on for all ages and was extremely well organised. The animation team work tirelessly to give you a break while your children are having fun.

Overall I would definitely recommend the Holiday Village for families. The family in our party are already looking into which Holiday Village they intend to visit next. The only reason I gave the location 4 out of 5 is that there is nothing really outside of the resort unless you take a taxi into Sharm town.

Finally, for those of you without children, you must do the Valley of the Kings tour. Brilliant day and an experience of a lifetime. Oh and the weather, not a cloud in the sky the whole time we was there! Now that is my kind of holiday! Lovely!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank Kel1982

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,834)
  • Arabic first

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank Kel1982
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 11, 2010

I spent 7 days with my partner here and we had a great time, look out for the blackout curtains though, we didn't find them until three days in so we were greeted by the suns cheery smile at 5AM.
Yes it's safe to walk about day or night, no you cant drink the tap water, yes you can flush the toilet paper, this is the last time you'll hear this as the reps are there to push trips in the morning meet and greet.
The staff are there to cater for every whim, with a smile, without fuss, hassle or palms up, the quality of food is excellent, the main and a la carte (you have 3 for the week) restaurants are of a high standard and very clean. The climate, your own eating and drinking habits play a high part in contracting the gammy gut.
The sea is quite shallow so you have to walk a fair way to see the fish and coral, but i would definitely recommend snorkelling, even if you do swallow half the sea like i did, it's part of the fun, if you don't fancy snorkelling just walk out to the metal bench, it's mainly waist height, with about a 3 metre swim.
The reps are there for the kids (and you!!!) and there is always something for them to do, so use them, if you don't like kids and the noise associated with them, as they say "if you don't like watching it, turn over" there are various areas in which to escape them, but as i'm a people watcher i think they're hilarious and make part of the holiday, but i can say that, i don't have any :-). As for the weather, hot!!! If you've got this far, i hope you enjoy it!!!!
Jay & Jane

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank jaynjane
Hatfield
Reviewed May 10, 2010

The Holiday Village fulfills all your expectations. You get a warm welcome and are made to feel that they value your custom. Everything good has already been said, but I would recommend the VIP Red Sea Boat Trip. Its limited to 30 adults and at £49pp its £10 dearer than the ordinary trip but well worth it. The boat is much posher (clean toilets), with a specially cooked BBQ lunch and you have three chances to snorkel during the day ( kit can be hired for abt £6 and they give you instruction if you need it). The crew were a scream and entertained us all the way back.

Recommend you book a late check-out room before you go if you are doing the night flight home. You keep the room til 6pm whereas if booked at the hotel you have to be out by 5pm. Turkey is 2 hours ahead at the moment, so when you land at 0140hrs, your body thinks its 0340. The flight back is longer than the flight inward so by the time you get home......well you get the picture. Thomsonfly seat pitches are chronic and you are packed in like sardines. Difficult to get comfy enough to snooze and you have to be a contortionist to get stuff out of your bag tucked away under your seat. Oh, and dont eat too much at the HV because if you have a bit of a tummy you wont even be able to put your tray down!

Us girls missed the shopping. Our style is browsing, checking out prices and buying when we have done the research. You cant do this in Sharm because nothing is priced.. Once you have asked you are drawn into their bartering system, which was not our style. "Just looking" doesn't get you off the hook either.

Wanting to finish on a high note, get yourself down to the beach early and bagsy a kingsize swinging hammock. It doesnt get much better than this believe me.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Lemonsherbert3
manchester
Reviewed May 10, 2010

When you book an All Inclusive resort always refer to Tripadvisor. That way you will always get the good and not so good information you need from holidaymakers that have actually been to the place you are interested in. That is what I did with this hotel and all the great reports are true.
The staff vary from gardeners, chefs, waiters, bar staff, housekeepers, security and managers. They all have three things in common: 1. They clearly love their hotel. 2. They genuinely care for their guests' happiness during their holiday. 3. They are all happy, pleasant people who can't do enough for you.
I had never been to Egypt before this trip. If this hotel represents Egypt, then I will be back. In fact, I have already booked and I only returned last night.
If you have kids, they will love it. So will you too as there are lots of things for them to do and they are really well looked after and supervised by First Choice. Hotel rooms are large and cleaned to a high standard, the beds are massive but a little firm. If you ask reception, they will arrange a softer mattress topper for you which really makes a comfy difference if you don't like firm mattresses. Food is very good with lots of choice for everyone in the main restaurant area. Hygiene is also clearly important for this hotel as there are alcohol gel hand cleansers at the entrance. I did not suffer from the 'runs' in the 2 weeks I was there. There are 4 other restaurants at the resort which are all good. I had lobster in one of them for the first time and it was fantastic.
I am a scuba diver and the diving here is wonderful, I completed my Advanced Open Water course with Aquarius which is on the beach next to the hotel. See a guy called 'X'. Nice bloke and a 5* PADI Centre.
If you want hot sun, a beautiful and clean hotel on the beach with great food plus lovely staff to look after you then choose the Red Sea Holiday Village. You will not regret it.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank holidayreal
Leigh, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 9, 2010

Coral Sea Resort is now ranked number 1 on my all time best holiday resorts and number 2 on my all time best holiday destinations (Sydney Australia is number 1).

Myself, fiance, fiances daughter and my fiances brother and wife spent 10 days at Coral Sea Resort at the end of April to beginning of May and we all had a fantastic time. We found TripAdvisor very helpful before going so thought I'd give my help.

Flights/Airport
The flights were good although the planes a little small for such a long flight. I am 6'3" and although I had enough leg room it was still a little uncomfortable. The return flight had a larger plan but the space was even smaller in the seats. The first thing to be careful of at the airport is the visa's. If you plan to travel outside the Sinai Desert (i.e. to go to Cairo or Luxor, or diving) you will need to have a Visa but if you are staying within the Sinai desert area you dont need one. When you get off the bus from the plane people will tell you to join a massive queue for visa's. They will tell you that you need one even if its just a free visa and to join the queue on the left. If your not travelling outside the Sinai desert you dont need to join this queue and get a visa (even though they tell you that you do), just go queue up for passport control on the right hand side.
When getting your baggage from the carousel be careful of Egyptian people taking bags off for you. They expect you to tip them just for taking your bags off. They tend to watch for bags that go round a couple of times and then take them off.
Once outside the organisation of which coach to go on was a little disorganised and the reps didnt know which bus we had to go on but we found out eventually. Again the people who put the bags on the bus for you expect a tip so give them a pound or two (GBP) if you want. Tansfer time was about 15mins which was good.
Just one note: they dont seem to like toilet paper in the airport. On our return flight I came down with the sharm sh*ts and another one in our party got sick. The toilets in the airport had no toilet roll in them most of the time and when it did appear it disappeared again very quick, so take some with you if your not feeling to good.

The Hotel / Rooms
First impressions of the hotel were good and got better as the holiday went on. Reception staff are friendly and accommodating. When you arrive you have to leave your bags outside, get a ticket from reception when you check in and then they get brought to your room. You will get shown to your room by a porter who will show you around your room when you get there (you dont have to tip him). The hotel is split into blocks with what we could see the suites and jacuzzi rooms at the far end of the complex near the main pool (a 5min walk or so from the main building where the main restaurant is).
The rooms were massive. We only had a standard room and it was huge so I can only imagine what the select rooms and suites were like. The mini bar was quite expensive but you get a few free bottles of water each day. The beds were rock hard but we got used to them very quickly and actually really liked them. The cleaner came in every day and chaged the sheets and towels and every day did something different with the layout of the duvets and sheets. If you have kids and dont want them taking things out of the mini bar and getting you a massive room bill just ring reception and ask them to empty the mini bar and not refil it. It was 11L.E (£1.30) for a chocolate bar, 33L.E (about £4) for a small can of beer, 22L.E (£2.60) for a 1.5ltr bottle of water.

The Pools
Although the literature says there are 8 pools there are only 4 main pools. The other 4 seem to be swim up room pools which you can only use if you have a swim up room. Unless there were more pools we didnt find. The quite pool is situated near the main building and has a bar and a fridge where you can get sandwiches around lunch time (we never used it). It also has a library of books and magazines near the towel station. The main pool is located at the bottom end of the resort nearer to the beach. It is split into 2 sections, one end is the kids pool with a slide, etc and the rest is the main pool with slides, swim up bar, etc and plenty of sun beds. The water was quite cold and didnt seem to heat up much over the day but after being in it for 30seconds you got used to it. The bar staff and pool hands were all very friendly and are always helpful and having a laugh. We tipped one of the pool guys and he reserved us 5 beds every day so we didnt have to go down at 6:00am each day and put our towels where we wanted. There is another pool next to the main kids pool at was used more by the entertainment teams for the kids activities but could be used by anyone.
You will get hassled on the first couple of days by the people from Butterfly (the spa) and Aquarius (the watersports company) but a 'no thank you' will send them away. After a few days they get used to your faces and dont tend to hassle you any more.

Kids Clubs
My fiances daughter is 9 years old and isnt the most outgoing kid but she had no problem going off with one of the reps one day when she came looking for kids to join in. After that she was off doing aqua olympics, poolside dancing, archery, VIP nights, etc. The kids entertainers were excellent and kept the kids well entertained throught the day and night. Kids clubs in the evening run from 8pm till 9pm and then 9pm to 11pm most evenings. They do require you to drop your child off and pick them up again and sign them out.

Bars/Restaurants
The buffet had a great selection and was in the main restuarant in the main building. There is no pork served in this hotel so I missed my bacon in the morning but they put on beef bacon instead. Food selection each day was excellent:
Breakfast - sausages (beef and chicken), eggs (hard boiled, scrambled, fried and omlettes), pancakes, beef burgers, tomatoes, french toast, toast, wide selection of cakes and pasteries, hams, cheeses, etc. Orange and apple juice freely available, tea and coffee, etc.
Lunch - varied each day but always had a salad bar, french fries, some sort of chicken dish, fish, pasta, wide selection of breads, toasted sandwiches, pizzas, etc. Soft drinks and beer also freely available from the bars.
Evening Meal - very similar to lunch but with a slightly different selection of meats.
Snack bar - the snack bar was located in the Medeterainian restuarant and had a selection of salad, fries, some sort of meat, bread, etc (similar to the main restaurent lunch buffect but with less choice. You can get ice creams throughout the day near to the snack bar.
Sari, Bamboo, Med and sea food restaurants - you will be given tickets when you check in to allow you to eat in three of the restaurants (Sari - Indian, Bamboo - Chinese and Med - Medeterainian). You will need to book them at least 2 days in advance and can be done from the lobby area of the restaurants near the pool after 1pm. Very nice food in each although we were a little disappointed by the Indian. The staff were very friendly but very eager to clear your table and we didnt like it much in the Indian restaurant that they started clearing our table before we had finished eating our main course. Someone from the sea food restaurent comes around the pool looking for bookings or you can just go down there and book it yourself. We didnt go so I cant comment on this one but all you pay for is your main course. Starters, drinks and dessert are all inclusive but your main course fish is weighed per 100grams.

Facilities
There are a number of shops available on site selling alsorts of things like perfume, cigs, souveniers, etc. Dont be afraid to haggle with the people in these shops. We made the mistake of not haggling on the first day and paid alot more for something than we should have. These shops arent operated by the hotel so you can haggle with them for certain things. We arent sure but we think the cigs in the shp may have been fake but dont quote me on that. The lobby bar is good and there is a terrace if you wish to sit outside in an evening with a drink. There is only 1 lift in this place and it is located on the terrace and takes you down to just outside the main restaurant. There is also another shop down near the beach but we never used it.
Butterfly - this is the onsite spa and offer a variety of different services including massages, facials, steam room, sauna, etc. I had a full body massage and paid 295 L.E. (about £35).

Out and About
Naama Bay is a must and there is a shuttle bus that runs from the hotel at set times. It cost us 50 L.E (about £6) per person for a return journey. Trip there takes about 30mins and back about 15-20mins (there are a lot of speed bumps on the way there). We visited the Hard Rock Cafe which was excellent, the staff were fun and friendly and they even all danced to YMCA when it came on. We paid just under 700 L.E (about £82) for 5 of us to eat there which included starters, main course and 2 rounds of drinks. About 120 L.E of that bill though was tax and service charge. We didnt get much time to look around after the meal but the market was good but all the shops had the same stuff so once you've seen it in one place you've seen everything. Again make sure you haggle the prices down.
We ventured out of the hotel one night and about a 5min walk from the hotel gates (about 10mins from the actual hotel front doors) there is a 24/7 supermarket selling just about anything you need. Recommend you buy water as you only get a couple of free bottles in your room. A 1.5ltr bottle of water in the hotel shop will set you back 10 L.E (£1.20) whereas in the supermarket it was only 2.50 L.E (£0.29). 750ml bottles of Coke were 2.50 L.E also and similar price for massive bags of crisps. There is also a pharmacy just over the road which is quite handy if you come down with anything. I came down with diarrhea on the second day but my fiance popped to the pharmacy and got some tablets for me for about 120L.E (about £14) which got rid of it straight away. I still suffered for the rest of the holiday with a bit of diarrhea but no one else in our party got ill until the last day. The guy in the pharmacy spoke good english and knew exactly what we needed.
There were some guys with camels outside the hotel you need to be careful of. We thought we were getting pictures taken with them but the next thing I know I'm up and going for a walk and I couldnt do anything about it. They wanted about 500 L.E (nearly £60) for the ride and photos but we gave them 200L.E and £15. Very expensive as a ride on a camel down on the beach only cost 50L.E (which we found out later). If you do anything make sure you agree a price before you do it.

Down near the beach you have a few things to do:
Quads - electric quads which you can hire to go up and down the prom type road. There are some just outside the hotel grounds who charge you 60L.E (about £7) for 30mins. These guys tried to rip us off though so if you go right out of the hotel and walk a few mins you will get to another guy who only charges 50L.E for 30mins.
There is also Aquarius down there who organise water sports like parasailing, tubing, donuts, etc. My fiance did the tubing which cost 100L.E per person (about £12).
There is also a Bedouin tent where you can smoke a shisha pipe and drink tea. This cost us about 70L.E (about £8.50) for one pipe with apple and mint tobacco and 4 glasses of cinamon tea.

I think thats about it, in all an excellent holiday and would definately recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
10 Thank stitcho
south shields
Reviewed May 9, 2010

just returned from red sea holiday village and can't wait to return again,next april/may.
fantastic for families we had kids aged from 2yr-11yrs and they all cried on the plane on return home.from arrival at resort to departure the hotel staff were superb,very clean and the grounds immaculate.made the whole holiday very enjoyable.
after reading reviews prior to leaving you pick up one or two tips which are helpfull,some are way off the mark,i always say you make your own holiday of course so dont neccesary follow all that is said before.tipping is not an issue if you want to tip do so it is not the law!!! to tip..a couple of dissapointments were the drinks they are poor especialy spirits,beer was ok.and when you venture out of hotel the pavements are not buggy freindly!!
i loved the hard bed ,food was fab specially chinese ,!
enjoy!
ps please take plenty of mosquito spray,we all got bit,my brother in law very badly,kids never got bit thankfully!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family