“2nd visit - loved it all over again”

Coral Sea Holiday Village
Ranked #23 of 232 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
fife
“2nd visit - loved it all over again”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We stayed there 28th June - 12th July in block 5 (again) in a kids den room. As with last time, made to feel really welcome from the start and showed to our room, luggage followed & headed off to the restaurant for a snack. We based ourselves round the activity pool for the fortnight. Our boys (10 & 4) loved the clubs - no problems getting in - and all the First Choice staff. The football academy was great and the swimming lessons for the youngest we're great to (special mention to the lovely Rick). All the Coral Sea staff were lovely' friendly and went out their way to help and make you feel welcome. Special mention to Ali at the pool who our youngest was very fond of, Ahmed at the Activity Pool bar and Hasan in the VIP breakfast restaurant. All staff work so hard and take a lot of pride in their work (even the young lad who cleaned the loo's down by the kids clubs - he used to get the little garden bit outside looking lovely). A couple of niggles - the ground around the pools could do with getting re-layer. It's got very crumbly in the last 2 years and needs refreshing. Also, the Mediterranean restaurant changed - our first meal was on the beach with a lovely menu then the second visit was to the new Mediterranean (also the VIP breakfast) which was a buffet and nothing like the original Mediterranean - it's become just a glorified version of the restaurant which was so disappointing.

Room Tip: Block 5 - very central
2 Thank callumdav

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,834)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Newmilns, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We travelled to the Red Sea holiday village for the 3 rd time on the 19th June, as a family with 2 girls ages 12 and 5. Once again we had a great time, hotel amazing as usual, we emailed a few weeks before arriving requesting block 6, down next to main pool and a la carte restaurants, which we were given. This was easily the best holiday we have ever been on, the staff are excellent, especially rada(wee jimmy) and nabil at the pool bar, Husain and all the guys up in the lobby bar, hardly carried a drink in the 2 weeks we were there. The main pool, where we spent most of our holiday was amazing really warm, had to be quite early to get a decent sunbed, but the pool guys take towels off beds at 10.15 if people have put towels down and not been back to the beds. We ate in the a la carte restaurants most nights, all 3 are brilliant with first class service, although our favourite is the Mediterranean, absolutely amazing, it is also a nice touch that the kids can eat off the adult menu if they prefer. The nights that we did eat in the main restaurant there was a great selection of food, my youngest particularly enjoyed the kids corner. We always used the hand gels and never had any tummy problems, my wife did have an upset tummy but this was down to lying out in the direct sun for hours the day before, but a quick trip to the chemist, just outside the main gate and she was fine within 24hrs. The kids clubs are fabulous, they really put the effort in, can't fault them 1 bit. The weather was fantastic 48 degrees some days but with a lovely breeze. All in all a fantastic holiday in a beautiful location gorgeous ground very very hardworking staff. Can't wait to go back next year, hopefully a swim up room. Counting down the days.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank mair81
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Once again The Holiday village has lived up to our expectations. This was our second visit and we are now looking forward to returning in November. There really is nothing to find any great fault with. From the moment you arrive until the minute the coach arrives to take you back to the Airport, the staff look after you as if you are their most important VIP.
The rooms are spacious and clean, we had swim up room again and they are definately worth that extra bit of expense. I really have no idea on the situation regarding reserving sunbeds around the large pools, but to be able to walk a matter of a couple of yards to the pool every morning knowing that your sunbeds are waiting without the need to be up running around with towels trying to grab your favoured position by the pools is heaven.
Once again we found the food in the main buffet to be very acceptable and the effort put into the presentation is very good, again very difficult to fault. Of course everything wasn't perfect, but when is it on an all inclusive. There was always something to please the appetite. The Al A Cartes are something not to be missed, although the Med was by far the best. It was situated on the beach below the ligthouse during our stay and this just added to the whole experience. It was a lot more intimate there as there was not too many tables and certainly no hustle and bustle that you find in the Buffet. It will have moved to the new build by now which I think will take away that something special feeling. Of course the Seafood restaurant will still be on the beach for that special meal while you are there.
All the staff from the receptionists to the waiters and cleaners actually seem happy to be doing their jobs, which at times can be made difficult by the odd holiday maker (be them British or otherwise) the smile never leaves their face.
The only thing I wasn't entirely happy with and this really is looking hard to find fault, it would be the beds. Why are they so hard? saying that in eleven visits to Sharm and nine different hotels I have only found one with beds that had a softer mattress.
Like I have mentioned earlier, returning November and I rest assured that we will enjoy the same hospitality and standards we have grown to expect from this resort.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank jimgiv
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 23, 2013

This was our second trip to HV with our 9 year old daughter 7th July-21st july Both times we had a swim up room In block 9 which we love as you have the privacy of your own room to hand and a lovely relaxing pool to use without the hustle and bustle of the main pool. Lost sun around 4 but to be honest this was a relief as you could sit outside without being in direct sun which was nice as it was soo hot! Rooms are huge and are cleaned daily with fab towel creations every few days.
Kids club were amazing, my daughter was 9 halfway through the holiday so had to go into superstars for first week and then Mega stars for second week so she got to meet most of the team. Eddie the Teddy in superstars is fantastic and the kids love her and Matt is great from Megastars and my 9 year old had a little crush on him I think! loads to do with free high ropes on the pirate boat on the beach that my husband and daughter did, fan descender and a zip wire which is £5. We hardly saw our daughter some days as she was at kids club most of the time.

Food was lovely though fussy daughter and husband got bored with choices. We went to the stonegrill twice, first time was for daughters birthday which was brilliant and we had a cake brought to her from the hotel and all the waiters' sang happy birthday. second time service wasn't as good but we paid £37 for 3 HUGE fillet steaks, chips, wedges, bread plus a bottle of beer, large glass of wine and a water so excellent value.

Husband and I did get dicky tummy which lasted most of the trip but wasn't bad enough to stop us enjoying ourselves and just meant I only put on 3lbs despite eating and drinking whatever I wanted! pharmacist at top of road gives you tablets for £6 which sorted out cramps straight away.

The only thing that needs looking at is the entertainment. The amphitheatre is RED HOT and really uncomfortable to sit in. Although entertainment team work tirelessly especially Cameron, the variety and standard of shows need some improvement. adult bar has a quiz on 4 nights a week with Nat who is very funny but not much else to do if you don't want to do the quiz.

we ventured out a couple of times and you do get hassle but just politely say no. I purchased 4 mulberry bags for £50 in total and some converse for £10 so you can get some bargains. All the shops sell these including the hotel.

It was Ramadan when we there and you could see a difference in the staff during this time but nothing that spoilt the holiday and you can understand why they were a bit miserable not being able to drink water in 45degree heat. The check in on return journey was a nightmare as they stopped work to have breakfast so the queues got really backed up and we were literally stood in the check in queue for 2 hours so be prepared for this.

overall another excellent holiday at the holiday village and have started pricing up for next year. However be warned that we paid £3300 for 2 weeks this year (booked in March last year) with a free child place and checked a month later how much it would be and the cost had reduced by £700 with NO free child place. I complained to First Choice and was told they are at liberty to amend prices as they see fit. Therefore beware that a free child place is not always the cheaper option!

Well done all HV staff- you all work tirelessly to give your customers a great experience so be proud!

Room Tip: swim up rooms are excellent if you want some peace and quiet and the convenience of having sunbed ou...
3 Thank suebuckle1
manchester
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We traveled on 8th July - 22nd July (have literally just got back and am looking for another holiday village for next year) family of 4 kids 6 and 8 years. My parents followed us out on the 11th July. We live close to Manchester Airport so no probs there. Our arrival in Sharm was smooth as we were the first to land, but other travelers advise that more than one flight is too much for them to cope with, as was my parents experience. The transfer time took only 15 mins and the Egyptian Thomson rep was great. First impressions of the hotel were good and the restaurant was left open for late arrivals (10pm) and there was a small selection of food on offer, I say small because the regular selection on offer is sooo vast. I think I helped myself to a french chicken dish, rice and bread. After eating you are transported to your room via golf buggy or on foot and the bell boy advises room basics such as air con etc (when you first arrive its like opening an oven door!) We had a standard room but later upgraded to a swim up room at the cost of £23.00 extra per night. We tipped the bell boy and our luggage soon followed. Had a rubbish first nights sleep due to a combination of excitement and a concrete feel bed!! (You get used to the mighty firm mattresses though) The room was spotless and are cleaned daily, one thing that struck me about Sharm is the even domestic staff (not being sexist) are men, in fact I counted only two women who worked for the hotel, this is cultural thing and something I have never experienced before so not a criticism. Towels are changed very day in your room and you are given towel cards for beach towels 1pp on arrival and these can be changed daily.
On the first day I attended the welcome meeting and I would strongly recommend attending this for 45 mins on you first day as this is where you register for kids club etc and find out your local information which if your'e like me and have never traveled to Africa before is essential.
I would like to say that although I have been on many package holidays long and short haul before, this is the one which has required the most 'adjusting' and while I respect culture and religion this has been the first one where I have paid particular attention, probably because I traveled right through Ramadan, again there was no major disruption to my holiday but I must point out this is a period of fasting and I felt the staff worked tirelessly serving food etc when they are unable to eat and drink and are probably low on energy given the heat! I must commend the staff at this point as they continued to work hard. In the welcome meeting we were warned about outside the hotel where shop keepers and camel owners hassle you. PLEASE DO NOT HAVE YOUR PHOTO TAKEN WITH A CAMEL: We heard reports of the camel people "allowing" you to take a free photo of the camel and then demanding payment, following the people up the street for payment. Also, camel ride quotes were not legitimate eg £5 camel ride cost £60 to get off, so do yourself a favor look but dont touch. If you want a camel ride, go to Bobby the camel on HV beach - he charged us £10 for adult and £5 for child.
Shop keepers did give you hassle but no different to Turkish (in fact I would say Turks are worse as they physically drag you into shops) I took the advice of the rep and just said no unless I wanted to buy, dont say no thank you as they know you have manners and try to get round you, but a firm polite 'No' will suffice, they dont like being ignored and will follow you up the street to get you in their shops. Also, when you buy - Haggle! I've never haggled before and found it surprisingly easy...if they say 300 Egyptian say "how about 150?" They will meet you half way, but they haggle over everything, so if you want a can of coke, go to the super market! And, always be prepared to walk away as you will get the same thing somewhere else up the road!
Tipping, word of advice, I've read reviews on here that staff do not expect tips, but they do! I would tip when its deserved, we tipped our cleaner (Waheed), the pool attendant (Gammel), one waiter (Ahmed) and Hany in the sports bar. In total we took £30 in coins and it was gone half way through the first week because while staff should only be tipped following good service, some staff expect it on first point of contact! This is particularly applicable to the two 'other' waiters in the sports bar (I dont even know their names, because I didnt tip them, so they treated us with indifference) In fact because the minority of staff DO EXPECT tips, it makes you more skeptical of other staff and you feel that they are only being nice to you get tips.
The waiting staff were good, but there are some who again are indifferent towards you.
Food in the hotel is really good standard, a huge variety every day. Because you cant have pork there is a really good selection of beef, chicken, duck, lamb and fish. I have no criticism about the food, when you dont fancy something off the main menu there is pasta on offer everyday where you can choose your own ingredients.
We upgraded to a swim up room in the second week, purely because our kids arnt good swimmers and we couldnt always get a bed poolside. The main pool is where all the activities are and it can get rowdy, but its a really good laugh and the kids love it! The quiet pool as quoted here isn't really quiet, it just means there's no activities through the day but once again for us it was no problem but some people complained. The pools are cleaned every few hours and while I was there we only heard of two code browns which closed the main pool and the quiet pool on the same day so people without a swim up couldn't swim.
Overall, this hotel is for families and the kids clubs and entertainment is amazing, there's too much to say about the hotel and when you go you will find out yourself. We had a great time and will return when the kids are older and probably not July due to the heat probs will return around Sept, Ive included what I thinks important, but we had a fab time!!!

Room Tip: Stay in block 11 for peaceful nights sleep. Only tip when you receive good service!
3 Thank jonahmcfc
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Please do not listen to reviews which say that the hygiene standards here are poor, they are not. I suffered with the cramps and poorly tummy but it was not due to hygiene standards, ice or undercooked meat. The food was lovely, the ice was made from bottled water and the place was really clean with the pools being checked regularly. The staff were really friendly and I would recommend staying here. Just watch out for the mosquitoes!!

Room Tip: We upgraded from a standard room (which was too small for a family of 4) to a jacuzzi room in Block...
4 Thank TropicalTraveller196
Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a week from july 14 th booked a swim up room block 8 104 great block to stay central to all complex .
Rooms are very spacious good if you have young children if they need a nap u can sit in your patio while your child can sleep in room . Air con is excellent and much needed.
Main pools get very busy with people dashing down with towels to grab a bed in the early morning rush .good facilities for children with clubs going from 10 till 23 hrs for kids from creche to teens
Food is good varying every night cleanliness is kept as high as they can i think most people who
are ill comes from intense heat 40 degress plus ice cold air con in rooms and maybe too much alcohol
All in all a quality hotel and staff dont read too much into negative comments we hada great holiday .Would we go again ?? Definately maybe new year and it would be a swim up room again.

• Stayed July 2013