“Brilliant holiday”

Ranked #24 of 234 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Preston, United Kingdom
“Brilliant holiday”
Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here in April 2013 and even though we had an amazing holiday there were things that could be improved on.
Whilst checking in we asked if we could upgrade to a swim up room and unfortunately the hotel was fully booked as it was half term, you leave your cases at reception with your room number on then get shown to your room with loads of other guest in the same area, we ended up with a room in block 14, even though the room was very spacious the location wasn't good neither was the view which was of the side alley of the hotel and the rear of a restaurant. The workmanship of the room was a bit poor as well. The tv had good movies on but watch out for the adverts which sometimes showed trailers not appropriate the the time of day and having a 9 year old ain't good. We loved the swimming pool area with the slides, there was also a quiet pool which was heated. The bar staff at the main pool were brilliant and remembered our drinks and they magically appeared many times big mention to all the bar guys Reda, Amr, Mohammed who were really friendly!! You get a towel card so you get a fresh pool towel every day. The food was always good with a nice selection, we didn't get to the Chinese or indian as we ended up with the dreaded 'pharoahs revenge' for a few days but the main restaurant and snack bar was always good. If you do get poorly you need to get a drug called 'antinol' i think it's called and it worked quickly. The hotel needed more outside seating at night and the entertainment was aimed for the younger ones but overall we had a fab time, weather was very hot always over 30 degrees.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank raleighallen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,834)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Milton Keynes
Reviewed July 2, 2013

This was our first time to this hotel. Please note that the Coral Sea & Holiday Village Hotels are 2 different hotels situated close to eahc other. The star rating looked good, so did the reviews on TripAdvisor, albeit the constant and large volume of reports about guests being ill did worry us.

To sum this hotel up, the hotel and all the Egyptian staff are just fabulous, welcoming polite and very patient and could not be faulted. We stayed in a Kids' Den Room and it was as described, really nice and very clean.

The kids clubs are fab and run from early morning until late at night.

What is very horrible about this hotel are the British guests I am ashamed to say. Man U flags being flown around the pool under the parasols, families getting more and more loud as they drink the all-inclusive beer and women with whole sleeves of tattoos shouting at their children. If you have a BMI of >30 then you will feel very at home here. All in all not nice - Blackpool with sun. If this is your bag then you are going to love it here!

Most people like us around the pool had been ill and taken a trip up to see the Doctor, who is based on site, and will sell you tablets for £3 a pop to get rid of the stomach cramps and diarrhoea.

All in all not the greates place to stay

1 Thank Carol P
Burnley, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2013

This was our third visit to the HV Red Sea and yet again, we had another really good holiday. The four of us left 'Sunny Burnley' on the 27th May for our two week holiday, our tenth visit to a First Choice HV.

We upgraded to a Kids Den upon arrival and as usual, the check process was very slick and efficient. Being a repeat visitor we got some extras which, were really appreciated. As with previous visits, all of the hotel staff couldn't do enough for you. A special mention to Amr (who looks after the bar at the main pool) - he was great and kept us topped up at the swim up bar!!!

Breakfast and lunch at the main restaurant was varied and we enjoyed the a la carte Indian restaurant which, was as good as ever. We also went to the Stonegrill where we enjoyed a fantastic meal on the beach, for a very reasonable price - although for us, drinks shouldn't be extra. We ate out quite a bit so can't really comment on the evening meals at the main restaurant.

If you do decide to eat out then do not hesitate to go to The Three Crowns and The Hard Rock Cafe - they both serve superb food at very reasonable prices (see separate reviews).

There are some areas of the hotel that could do with 'sprucing up a bit' due to wear and tear but, the pride that the staff take in keeping the whole resort clean and tidy is a credit to the whole team.

The Daytime Entertainment Team were truly brilliant - one of, if not the best teams we have encountered in our ten visits to a HV. Whether they were running kids club sessions or overseeing family/adult activities their friendliness, energy and enthusiasm was very engaging - despite the heat wave!!! A special mention to Mark (Mrs B didn't ask for discount at Wynsors!!!), Tommo and Stu - who the kids loved. It was a nice touch when most of the Daytime team waved people off on their way home.

Overall another enjoyable holiday despite the temperature being 42 degrees in the shade at 11am one day!!! Thanks again to the hotel staff and the daytime activities team and good luck for the rest of the season.

Room Tip: Block 5 is the ideal location for your room
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank RAB1234
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Hi, just back on 29/06 after 2 weeks(2 adults and 11yr old)...first of all...everyone has different opinions and standards. I would say ours are relatively reasonable. The room we had was large, spacious with an extremely large balcony and absolutely spotless. Cleaned to a good standard every day. Free tea and coffee in room and 2 large bottles of water each day if required. Mini bar in room(we just emptied it..used the fridge..and refilled it at end of holiday)The bathroom could probably been upgraded a bit..i.e. tiling re-grouted etc..but i've seen a lot worse. Air conditioning in room was excellent and free...the safe boxes are also free in rooms which was a surprise these days.(tv in room channel 2 and 3 for news...8 and 16 english speaking movie channels)...the buffet restaurant...food plentiful and loads of choice for breakfast lunch and dinner. You also get 1 voucher per wk for the 3 other restaurants...Indian...chinese and my fav mediterranean(on the beach)...make sure you use them...a nice wee change from the hussle and bussle of buffet restaurant. hygiene standards in all eating areas excellent...now to the pool...notices up telling you not to put towels out early...everyone does it from 5:30..yes 5:30...you dont get a seat next to main pool unless your down before 6:15...no need to bring beach towels with you because you get a towel card that provides you with fresh towels at pool or beach every day...they do not do 'towel sweeps' as the notices say.....all reps at kids clubs are excellent.....we went on banana boat etc at beach...guy comes on boat...takes loads of pictures and tries to charge 450 egyptian pounds(£45) dont give him any more than £20 because all you get is a disc with 400-500 pics downloaded onto it...quick mention about the 'herb shop' on beach..don't buy anything from it...quad bikes into desert £33 from first choice...we went out complex took a right walked about 100 metres ..place called 'falcon tours' £15 a head...TUMMY BUG and the runs(i got it...i guess 4 out of 5 do)...nothing to do with hygiene of hotel....immodium doesn't work...its your stomach that can't handle the drastic drop in temp when your outside at 40-50 degrees then take a drink at 5 degrees(be it beer juice or water) then back to 40-50..then take another drink at 5 degrees and so on...your stomach doesn't know whats happening...the best thing you can do is when you FIRST start feeling knots in your stomach go to the pharmacy just outside the main gate to the right about 20 metres and tell him(he charges about £7 for the tablets)...he is def worth going to straight away....i've only covered a portion of our holiday...but i'd be surprised if many people never enjoyed there stay...hope this 'novel' helps someone...phewwww

6 Thank patbhoy67
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We have just returned from 7 nights at the coral sea holiday village and had a fantastic time. Our flight was delayed on the way out and we arrived late at the hotel but they kept the restaurant open for us to have some dinner. We stayed in room 8110 (block 8) in a double swim up room. Fantastic location (not far to walk to the restaurant and main reception in the heat) and far enough away from the main pool area. We are a couple in our late 20's and were looking for a nice relaxing week in the sun. This was our third time to Egypt (1st time at this resort) and were extremely impressed with everything the resort had to offer. This is a fantastic resort for families and couples alike. We were more than aware that there would be lots of children there and were happy to stay there. For those of you complaining about children, you should have done your research before you booked. This is a family resort..... If you want to be child free then stay somewhere else. We would highly recommend a swim up room as we heard from other guests that they struggled to get a sunbed around the main pools unless they were up at 5am to put their towels out!!! The swim up rooms are fantastic for families with young children too as they are very shallow and right outside your room for convenience. We did 2 boat trips to Tiran island and Ras Mohammed, both of which we thoroughly enjoyed, the snorkelling is fantastic! We also saw dolphins on both trips! An evening out to Soho square is great if you don't want to haggle for good prices, complete hassle free shopping. We enjoyed the all inclusive buffets but also ate out at TGI Fridays and Hard Rock Cafe which were both great too. Please don't be put off by some of the bad reviews.... Egyptian 'belly' is common wherever you stay.... If it gets you then all you need to do is buy some tablets from the pharmacy called 'Antinal' which work almost instantly (within 24hours). We had some left from our holiday last year and took them straight away when we arrived and were both fine all week long. We would happily recommend this hotel/resort to our friends and family and are looking to go back next year. A couple of tips.... Carry hand gel everywhere with you, drink plenty of water, use insect repellent called 'Off' which can be bought in most shops/pharmacies in Egypt, enjoy yourselves!! We certainly did!

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Chezza1984
Dalry, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2013

My husband and I decided we wanted to go somewhere a bit more adventurous for a change and decided to give Egypt a try. The selling point for the Holiday Village was the swim up room and the swim up bar.

We were delayed from leaving Glasgow Airport by an hour. We did not know what to expect at Sharm airport but what met us was organised chaos. Don't let this put you off, I can assure you its all worth it.

On arrival we were shepherded into the restaurant which they had kept open for us late arrivals, which was ideal. We quickly checked in, unpacked the cases then ended up at the sports bar for a much needed drink. My husband gave the barman, Mohammed, a tip and he made sure our glasses weren't empty anytime we were in there! I have to mention the waiter from the upstairs bar, whose name I didn't get, as he kept us well lubricated too!

To be able to walk out your room to your sun lounger then in to the water was bliss. So much so that we didn't go near the swim up bar as it was in the main pool which was too noisy for us.

The only downside about the swim up rooms is that the mosquitoes also love the water and made a meal of both my husband and I. Our legs looked like we had chicken pox, however that was our fault for not being better prepared. I had taken vitamin B1 prior to going on holiday but they did not work for me. Cans of Rapid and Off were purchased from the local supermarket and cream for the itching from the pharmacy but nevertheless we carried on enjoying our holiday.

The main restaurant for breakfast was just yards from our room but seeing approximately 50 buggies sat outside it we used to stroll down to the adult only breakfast which is within the Chinese Restaurant. Usually by the time we came back to the room people were queuing to get in the main restaurant for breakfast. They are only queuing as they are waited to be seated by the staff and the person at the main door is making sure that everyone is using the alcohol rub to clean their hands.

There is a fantastic selection of food on offer. I am a very fussy eater but I always found something to eat even supposing it was a plate of chips, it was still food! There are two types of soups on offer every lunch and dinner and they change between lunch and dinner too.

We also went to the Chinese Restaurant which I was very apprehensive about because I love Chinese food. I was not disappointed it was brill as was the Indian meal. We never quite made it to the Mediterranean restaurant but I'll get to that in a minute.

The first day we went to the 'Quiet Pool' which we found wasn't very quiet only to find out later that is was busy that day because a child had a poop in the main pool. This is where some people will blame the hotel. Me, I blame the parents. There are signs round the pool saying if you child is not toilet trained it should be wearing a diaper. Yes I know children can have accidents, I've got two of them myself, but they never had accidents like that in a pool. I also know people get the Camel Trots over there, I know my husband and I got them, but if my child had anything of the sorts it would never be near a swimming pool. Anyway, accidents happen and the hotel did the correct thing by closing the pool.

We wandered down to beach one day and couldn't believe how quiet it was. There were sun loungers and swinging beds a plenty. We walked out to the end of the jetty admiring the clear water and various types of fish en route. When we got to the end I decided to have a quick dip in the water thinking it'd be baltic so quick dip it'd be. How wrong I was. I have heard the expression 'it's like walking into a bath' misused on many occasion mainly describing the med but this is a place where that expression can be used wholeheartedly. The temperature was approx. 45 degrees that day according to the barman so maybe thats why the beach was empty although there is plenty shade there.

Unfortunately, both my husband and I became victim to the dreaded Camel Trots the last few days of our holiday. An occupant next door to our room informed me that if you get the feeling that you are going to get diarrhoea go to the clinic and they will give you a tablet, free of charge, which she says cured her within a few hours. We didn't get the feeling, we just went straight to severe diarrhoea, thankfully not at the same time! My first bout occurred after a trip to TGI's and my goodness, it's a long run from the gatehouse at the hotel to the reception with your butt cheeks clenched, being hindered by your flip flops!!!! We were careful about water, eating salad and washing your hands etc etc, but on speaking to a couple at the airport coming home, they were informed by their hotel that it can occur because you are continually going from the intense heat into the air conditioning. Whether this is true or not I don't. We visited the clinic where we were given capsules to take for three days although the doctor wanted to examine me because I had stomach cramps. We took the capsules, £E30 which seemed to do the trick for my husband but I'm still having twinges and discomfort. This did not put me off the holiday. It did prevent me from eating for 32 hours but at my size I could afford that! And we did miss our reservation at the Mediterranean Restaurant and the last session of out Spa treatment. S*&t happens, go see the onsite doctor, take the meds and get on with your holiday. I remember these warnings 30 years ago when I first went to Italy then Spain. You were advised not to drink the water there nor take ice in your drinks.

The staff in the hotel are fantastic. They go out their way to make your stay special and the work long and hard. We gave tips, albeit a £1 or £2 coin, here and there. The guys are very grateful and don't expect it. The cleaner is in the room every day changing the towels and leaving two 1 litre bottles of water on a daily basis. A couple of times we put the 'Do Not Disturb' sign on the door and there was always two bottles of water sitting at the door for us. He also made the most amazing towel art peacock.

We loved this holiday so much we have booked up again for next year. I will be better prepared for the mosquitoes. We know we may end up with the Camel Trots, but we'll man up and get on with it (and make sure we've got enough toilet paper)!

We're now aware what to expect at the airport going in to Egypt and coming home. I now know not to book airport transfer because it's only a 15 minute taxi ride.

It's possibly the best holiday we have ever been on.

Room Tip: We were in Block 8 swim up rooms Room 8111. We were a stones throw away from the main restaurant an...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank skirboyd
England
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Just returned from a 2 week holiday 14th June-28th June (2 adults, 4 children aged 17, 17, 3 and 5). I think I would say it is the best holiday I have ever had as a family and definitely the most relaxing which is a miracle when travelling with 4 children!
Transfer to hotel from airport very quick (about 10 mins) and check in very simple. I was very disapointed that the welcome drink was a glass of neon orange squash not the usual cocktails or cava we have recieved in all other AI hotels, but managed to get a cold beer in the restaurant which stays open late for new arrivals.
WEATHER
Most days it was about 45 but the location of the hotel on the beach means there is always a breeze so it really did not seem that hot and was lovely to sunbath in all day. However, as soon as you step out the front of the hotel and out of the breeze during the day it was pretty unbearable!
ROOMS
Our room was a swim up room block 8. I cannot stress enough how fantastic the swim up room was. Rooms very large, clean and comfortable. There is a little gated covered terrace in which my children could sit in the shade and play and then your own poolside section with your own loungers. All the other pools were constantly full with no sunloungers available past about 7am. View in block 8 is lovely-you can see the main pool and sea and very close to main restaurant and lobby area. There is a poolside waiter service which was very nice, but it does need to be more frequent as often the barman did not appear for 2-3 hours and you get very thirsty in 40-50 degree sunshine! There is a minibar in the room, but the prices of stuff was high so we requested for it to be empited and I filled it myself from the METRO supermarket outside the hotel. (Do not use the shops in the hotel- the prices are ridiculous- £7 for a packet of cheese puff crisps!!!)
FOOD
The food in the buffet restaurant was far better than I had expected. I am a very fussy eater, but I cannot understand anyone not being able to find something nice to eat. They have a different theme every night and BBQs most evenings. The indian and egyptian night was our favourite. The restaurant is really loud and busy, but we didnt mind as it meant we werent worried about our young children making a noise or a mess. However, if I was without children I would not recommend it! Do not try to take food out of the buffet. On one morning I took a criossant because my son had missed breakfast as went to a morning kids club. As I was leaving the buffet 3 restaurant managers pushed me aside, shouting and I felt like I was going to be arrested. They shouted at me about hygiene and took the criossant from me. I did try to explain my son had missed breakfast and that I did not feel it would be a great hygeine risk to take a criossant (less so than the takeaway chicken etc at the pool snack bar).
We also visited all 3 included a la carte retaurants (thai, indian and med). They were all again far better than I expected in comparison to other AI hotels and the mediterranean was amazing- beautiful location on the beach and very good food. It was nice to feel you are going out for a meal, rather than everyone constantly taking it in turns to leave the table/watch the kids at the buffet!
DRINK
This was quite a disapointment- very poor selection of 'paint stripper' spirits and odd neon coloured squash/juices that are very sugary. Beer was very nice though. Drinks service in the buffet restaurant very hit and miss. Water provided in your room every day and if you ask the cleaner for more bottles they will provide it. We had a letter in our rooms on arrival from the hotel to recommend not having ice in drinks for the first few days to avoid tummy upsets.
OUTSIDE THE HOTEL
Had read alot on here before about people saying you cannot leave the hotel but after being charged £7 for crisps decided I must brave it and visit the METRO supermarket. The first choice rep gave us a interesting pep talk on leaving about how to be brave and ignore the locals who would grab us and swear at us! I have to say, despite her scaring us, it really isnt as bad as expected. A few people will shout hello and try to get your attention but all we had to do was shout no thank you and carry on walking very fast and purposfuly! It is a terrible shame though, I love shopping and always like to visit markets etc on holiday, but this pestering did put me off bothering to go anywhere other than the supermarket really.
We did visit SOHO square one evening and got a taxi for £10 return booked at the hotel rather than the very expensive first choice coach. For us it was a very overpriced waste of time. There is restaurants and bars, shops etc but everything is crazy expensive (£17 each to enter the ice bar and have 1 drink). It has a very odd, fake atmosphere.
There were several trips we wanted to do like the boat trips etc but didnt get round to any of them as had such a nice time within the hotel.
KIDS CLUBS
The programme runs from 10am-11pm every day. No need to book just turn up. Great different programme of activities available and the staff really are fantastic- so enthusiastic and welcoming, especially Eddie, Dan, Matthew, Smelly Shelly, Barry and Lauren. My 2 who are often quite shy were a little apprehensive for first session so I was allowed to sit in until they settled. After a few days they were begging to go for several sessions a day which was fab as kept them out of the sun but gave us the chance to do some sunbathing or go to the beach.
ENTERTAINMENT
I had heard bad things about the entertainment before we went, but I have to say it was the best entertainment I have ever had, even from very expensive adult only hotels. There is a varied daytime programme around the pool, which we didnt really bother with as stayed at our swim up pool. Our teenagers enjoyed it though.
Every night there was a family evening show in the amphitheatre- kids dancing, i5live kids show, bingo then a live act. It was fantastic and to be honest was what made our holiday so much fun. The entertainment team really are brilliant and work so hard to make sure everyone, children and adults has a great time and a chance to get involved. My kids loved Cameron, Jo, James, Hannah and Matt and Farmer Jack is hilarious and a particular hit to keep the adults also entertained.
The only bad entertainment was on 2 evenings when the hotel had arranged the live show. On both occasions the act arrived late and it was left to the i5live team to keep appologising. The worst night was a belly dancer who turned up about an hour late looking like a prostitiute on drugs, chewing gum and looking very bored. She came on stage stroped about and argued with the somebody behind the stage and then stromed off and didnt come back! The African night was also pretty terrible with several bored looking unenthusiatstic dancers who stamped there feet a few times then proceeded to kill a large monkey which rather traumatised my children so we left early that night! Please can the hotel ditch these terrible acts and just let the i5live team do it far more professionally and appropriately for families!
I dont think there was much entertiainment wise for adults only. We did visit the adults only bar once but it lacked atmospshere and the Sports Bar is a bit gloomy.
TIPS/CURRENCY
Everywhere in the hotel and outside it we went wanted english pounds not Egyptian except the METRO supermarket. All trips etc paid for in stirling. Waiters etc all like to be tipped in £1 coins so we took a bag out with us. Every so often they may ask if you can exchange their £1 coins for a £10 or £20 note. This worked well for us as meant we always had a supply of £1 coins for tipping and bingo!
BEACH
Private beach which is lovely. Always loads of sunloungers available. Water very shallow and safe for children with long jetties to walk out to deeper areas for snorkling etc. You must go and talk to Bobby the camel and his owner. He is great fun and loves chatting and wont hassel you at all or charge to take photos or for him to take photos for you. Camel rides are about £5-10. Probably cheaper outside the hotel but we were far happier to pay this to not be hasselled or ripped off and also the man stood for ages with us letting the kids fuss and feed the camel and you can tell he genuinely looks after them as his pets!
BUGS (Very important to me)
Did not see any cockroaches or nasty bugs in the room or restaurants etc. On our last night a giant prey mantis fell out of the sky and landed by our feet in the amphitheatre. I was glad it was the last night as would have say watching the sky in fear for the entire 2 weeks if I had known this might happen!!! Apart from that, I would rate this very good for bug phobic people like me!
ILLNESS
Sadly here is now the bad point and the only reason why I have not awarded 5/5. (The first choice staff would get 5+++++/5)
In response to other reviews... I am a registered nurse and am fully aware of the symptoms of sunstroke and the risks of tummy upsets due to travel and new foods/ heat etc...but at present there is obviously an infection or virus that is making almost everybody within the hotel ill with severe diaorhea or vomitting and abdominal cramps (I only met 2 guests out of about the 100 I spoke to who had not had any tummy upsets). The hotel staff and first choice team members told us that they do know there is an illness but they have not yet been able to isolate the cause. This of course would be helped if people always washed their hands after using the toilet, dont touch food in the buffet with their hands and dont let their children use the pool as a toilet. If (when!) you do start getting tummy cramps etc you can visit the clinic onsite or pharmacist by main gate and can buy antinal antispectic tablets for about £1. The manufacturers of antinal must be coining it in...when I visited the pharmacist there was a parade of about 20 people going for the same thing! They were also buying the tablets for their children/ partner etc which adds up to alot of people from 1 hotel and does indicate more likely an outbreak of an illness. I would recommend the pharmacist instead of the onsite clinic as when my husband went there the doctor told him he needed a drip and blood tests etc etc (which he did not need and surprise surprise without it he was just fine after taking the £1 antinal tablets!). We were all ill for about 3 days the first week. Fortunately we had 2 weeks so plenty of time to still enjoy ourselves, but I would have been gutted to have got ill for 3 days if only staying for a week.
To summarise, depsite the illness this hotel is fantastic and I have been back 2 days and am already trying to rebook! If you have young children, not only will they have the time of their lives-you will too!

Room Tip: swim up rooms great if you want a sun lounger and to keep young children out of the sun
5 Thank jessandpop