6,386 results
All reviewsleisure poolal denteinfinity poolcaribbean barbay view restaurantfishermans restaurantle romantiquetuf tufmain restaurantitalian restaurantanimation teamspecial thanksfantastic holidaydive centrenaama baywater slideschicken
Reviewed April 21, 2010

Absolutely brilliant holiday. Fantastic hotel and staff, lots of sunshine what else can I say. Going back in September 2010.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank fiesta53
Managment99, Hotel Managment at Reef Oasis Blue Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2010

Dear Guest,
We all look forward to welcome you back in next September. Warm regards from all of us

Reviewed April 21, 2010

Arrived in Reef Oasis Blue Bay Resort and Spa on 1st April 2010 after a fantastic week cruising on thomson Celebration Ship.

I have an intolerance to Wheat and gluten and after having been so well looked after on the ship with a Gluten-free menu etc I was apprenhensive as to what I would be offered to eat at the hotel. No need to worry - my husband mentioned my condtion at the thomson welcome meeting and Angie advised me to speak with the Head waiter in any of the restaurants for help. In both the Sea Breeze and the Bay View restaurant the chefs were on hand to help and there is a card giving an allergy warning of bread, milk, chicken etc beside every buffet dish on offer. I was also offered the option of corn bread being baked for me - which was greatly appreciated. This meant that as a family we were able to eat the same foods and together and I did not need to worry about getting ill. I was very jealous however of my husband and daughter enjoying such a wonderful array of various breads and pastries on offer - the bread table alone is a wonderful sight ! and there were options available for me for dessert too - so well done chefs of Reef Oasis !

Check in was easy and quick and our luggage arrived just as we were exploring our wonderful room and garden - 5124 - bigger garden here than at home ! however I think when we opened patio door our friends the mosquitos must have decided to join us for our holiday ! My husband and I were really badly biten but my daughter escaped without a single one ! once again the thomson reps on site came to our rescue by giving us insect repellent spray and organising to have our room sprayed by room service staff on 2 occasions.
Our room was cleaned every day to a high standard with clean and fresh towells left - sometimes in some wonderful shapes and animal forms with fresh flowers much to all our amusement.

We never felt the need to rush for a sun lounger at any of the pools or beach - beach towells also provided clean and fresh every morning and a friendly pool or beach attendant to help - we never felt the need to tip any of these staff although we did witness it happening but they didn't seem to be getting any better positions at the pool or beach from us.

As my husband is a Hotel Manager and my background is also working in Hotel Receptions we believe in tipping for outstanding service that we have received not in the hope to get better service and we reflected this by tipping at the end of our holiday to the staff who we believe were happy in their job and happy to serve us . So a special mention to Hany at the Pub - he took time for a chat with us, bringing us drinks as we sat down without having to order and always made sure our daughter had popcorn and crisps to nibble - excellent member of staff.

We had breakfast most mornings in either Bay View or Sea Breeze restaurant, we snacked at the Pub and also at the snack bar at the activity pool, lunch again mainly at Bay View and a couple of times at the Sea Breeze. All were clean and of a high standard and always something that I could eat.

We made reservations and dined in both the Italian - Al dente and the Fishermans restaurant - a la carte as opposed to buffet in the Bay View. Yes I dined Italian and I have a wheat/gluten allergy ! You can choose from a starter, middle course, main course and dessert, some of which have an additonal charge but we didn't and there was no hard sell to do so. The waiter who took my order in Al dente said that I couldn't have the risotto as it would contain wheat (prob in the stock) so I was happy enough just to miss that course out and so decided to go to the ladies when my starter was finished. On my return he apologised and said that the chef had queried why I was not having this course and that it was possible to have the risotto as he would make it gluten-free for me but I would have to delay our main courses - well it was certainly worth the wait ! It was delicious so thank you Chef . The only down side was 60 egyptian pounds for HALF a glass of Italian wine ! I could have had the all inclusive wine but when in Italy and all that !! however it would have been better if the waiter had filled my glass to the same level as served in the Pub ! I do understand that it was not a local wine and therefore the charge for it but I paid the same in the Hard Rock Cafe in Sharm and my glass was triple the size.

We also had a very ejoyable meal in the Fishermans restaurant again not incurring any extra charges with a good choice of dishes and this time I stuck to my all inclusive wine !

Now that is my only query really -not a complaint - why could I not have a glass of wine at the beach, or at any of the pools ???? Beer flowing freely, cocktails on offer but not any wine in sight. Having this allergy I can not drink beer and on the few occasions it was a pina colada mix but mostly I had to stick to orange fanta as the coke/diet coke on offer at the beach bar was not good either. On a few afternoons that we spent at the infinity pool I had to leave my husband and daughter at the pool and go up to the Pub and sit with a glass of wine and then come back to the pool again while everyone else had their beer and cocktails at their sunloungers ! It was freely on offer in the restaurants etc so why not at the beach bar and pool bars ?

We booked diving in Naama Bay with Ocean college thru our rep Angie and my daughter completed another 10 m dive and had a great time. Unfortunately we didn't have enough money with us to buy the CD photos on offer and the dive bunny t shirt she wanted but the staff at Ocean college went out of their way and delivered the CD to the hotel later on that day - thank you to them for that.

We got a hotel taxi into Naama bay on Easter Sunday nite, had drinks at Hard Rock Cafe and then went to the Camel Roof Top terrace for cocktails and dinner. We were lucky to get a table on the roof top at the back but when another table had finished we moved so that we had a better view of what was going on down below. It is part of the Camel hotel and dive club and has an award winning Tandori restaurant. We had 2 cocktails, 3 beers, 2 soft drinks,
nacho/chilli share starter, potato skins sharer starter, one very large pizza, indian basket (samosa, onion bahjai, chicken kebas etc) chicken tikka masala/rice/garlic naan bread all for just under 300 egyptian pounds (prob been triple the price in Hard Rock ) worth every penny was delicious and again something I could eat !

The shopping/haggle experience had to be done and so did the hairy local taxi ride home - so glad to get back to the safe and quiet haven of the Reef Oasis !

My daughter and husband agreed that the snorkelling from the hotel jetty was excellent and as a non-swimmer I was able to see what they were seeing on the 'Sea Spy' - a little boat you lie face down on and view everything thru a window - excellent and worth 20 euros for half and hour. They also enjoyed their parasailing experience - 70 euros for 2.

The Beach is excellent and the animation staff are always on hand at the beach and the pool if you want to get involved. They also put on nightly shows but we only went to one of these as we preferred to sit at the Pub with a drink and chat or play cards etc.

You are given vouchers in your welcome pack to take along to a shop where you collect 6 soft drink cans per day per room. You can get them all at once or we got 2 days at a time and put in the fridge. You are also left approx 3 -4 small bottles and 2 large bottles of water per day in the room, tea, coffee also in room . We found that we didn't use all of our allowance of soft drinks for the fridge as being in room 5124 we were too far away from beach/pool etc depending what pool we were at to keep going back to room for them and if we took them out in the morning with us they got so hot in the 38 degree heat that we didn't drink them and took them back to fridge again. Also no need to take them out of room as soft drinks always available at pool and beach - small price to pay for having such an excellent room. yes it was a nice stroll for breakfast but sometimes we cheated and walked as far as reception and then got the beach bus, such a great bus driver and service - thank you.

The only problem we can report is an experience we had while sitting in the Panorama Bar - just on the other side of the Carribean bar - we had taken our seats and were watching a member of staff cleaning tables, walking around etc and my husband called him over and asked if we could order drinks. He informed us that this area was self-service and walked off.
So we went over to where the bar is - no-one behind the bar and the staff member walking around as far away from the bar as he could. My husband went into the Carribean bar and there was a large queue at the bar with only one bar man serving, so he went out and across to the Pub where there was plenty of staff and asked for drinks. He ordered 3 drinks and when asked for a tray to carry them the member of staff offered to carry them for him rather than him having to come back again, my husband explained that we were over in the Panorama bar and he said 'no problem I bring them for you' - so in around about way we got our drinks ! THEN when we decided to have another drink my husband approached the bar at the Panorama bar where there now was staff and again a queue - to which the people after my husband where getting served before him ! He patiently waited and the bar person who orignally told us that it was self-service came to serve him and said ' you create problem for me ' my husband asked why and he said it was because the other bar man had carried our drinks for us from the Pub !! my husband was surprised that another member of staff would say this about the situation or about a fellow worker. However I believe that this person obviously thought my husband had paid the other bar man to carry our drinks - not so ! We returned here the following evening only again for my husband to be ignored at the bar until we decided to just leave that area and to be served in the outside area at the Pub. In our view the bar man who informed us it was self-service should have then invited my husband over to the bar and served us not walked away from us . This incident put us off from going anywhere near that area again.

While enjoying a drink at the Pub one late afternoon we witnessed the Manager and staff hosting a 'welcome back cocktail party' - held for guests on return visits. A lovely idea and We one much approved of by my 'hotel manager husband' - hopefully that will be us one day !

We as hotel staff can be very fussy and with my allergy have to be careful of where we travel to etc and I was worried about my trip to Sharm ( this was our 2nd time on Celebration ship so no worries there ) we also like to have value for money and to us as a family this holiday really did have it all - the staff, the hotel, the food and the weather were all fab and we would have no hesitation in returning to Reef Oasis Blue Bay - looking forward to the 'welcome back cocktail party '!!!!!

Tell Hany Naomi, Martin and Heather returned safe to Belfast, Northern Ireland and we look forward to a return visit in the not too distant future.

Thank you to all at Reef Oasis Blue Bay .

HEATHER, MARTIN AND NAOMI BOON

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank hb40
Managment99, Manager at Reef Oasis Blue Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2010

Dear Guest,
Thank you for spending your holidays with us, and for your nice comments. I’m glad your stay with us was enjoyable. We appreciate constructive criticism to help us improve in areas that perhaps we don’t meet all customer expectations. I took note of your observation regarding the the Panorama service. Thank you for bringing it to our attention; I will certainly pass it to our management team. Thank you once again and we all look forward to welcome you back soon. Kind Regards from all of us

Reviewed April 17, 2010

My Husband and I stayed here from the 2nd to 12th April 2010 for our 1st anniversary and late Honeymoon. We had a fantastic stay in this gorgeous hotel.

Hotel grounds- are idyllic, everything is kept immaculate, the gardens are highly maintained and very beautiful. Although on first impression this hotel seems huge you soon get used to where everything is and its not too far to walk to anything, as mentioned in other reviews the tuf tuf bus runs you round the grounds if needed. Everything is set out really well which gives the feeling of being in a different place.

Pools - are lovely to look at and some of the best I have seen. The water in all of them is very cold, but once you’re in there ok. Infinity pool is as it looks in the pictures I have never swam with a view like that! there was also a nice breeze around this pool which I found great as the weather was very hot for the time of year, this pool was set out very well and to one side had a very shallow part for children. The adult relax pool is just as it says very relaxing and quiet. the no children policy is enforced well here and some lovely towel art was made here. We didn’t use the leisure pool but did have a look and have to say it was much bigger than I thought going by the pictures I had seen. There is also a smaller pool here for children.

Eating and drinking - We ate in the bay view restaurant, kababgi, al Dente and the seabreeze during our stay. We were both very happy with the food choices and didn’t struggle to find anything. The choice for breakfast was unbelievable and I’m surprised I didn’t put on a stone in weight with all the lovely pastries. We both were very surprised at how well the hotel caters for all nationalities that stay at the hotel, very impressive!
Our only meal we didn’t enjoy was in Al Dente which we booked for anniversary. We were surprised by this and much preferred bay view.
As mentioned by others you do have to queue for bay view (main buffet) restaurant, but it really isn’t that long, we were always seated within a few minutes and if you go before 6.30 there usually was no queue at all. We did here people moaning about this, but as my husband said, we would think nothing of queuing for an hour or 2 at a theme park or aqua park what is a couple of minutes? men do need to wear trousers or 3/4 length trousers in the restaurants, people were being refused entry if your knees could be seen.

Beach - is quite big and has lots of sunbeds, the dive centre is situated here, which also offer water sports and the animation team do daily activities also. It is not a place for relaxing the same as any beach as there is always something going on. I would suggest beach shoes for children as the sand is shingle in places and gets very hot. The coral reef and snorkelling is amazing, it is very deep so all kind of fish are swimming about here. We were told Dolphins swam by while we were there unfortunately we missed them.

Rooms - are large and spacious and very comfortable. Bathroom is like a big wet room with good shower pressure and clean towels every day. Beds are comfy and again changed every day. Mini fridge is stocked with 1 big bottle and 2 small bottles of water daily, this was forgotten on one occasion but when mentioned to who cleaned our room it was rectified immediately with lots of apologising. The room have lots of storage space but would suggest taking a few hangers if you pack shirts and skirts etc. The safe was good and very useful, this is free and located inside the wardrobe you put your own pin in and away you go.

Staff - We felt that most staff couldn’t do enough for you, restaurant staff were fantastic and most bar staff. special mention to Akram in bay view restaurant who seated us and got our drinks before we even sat down, it was a pleasure to be in his area, thank you and to Saheem at the arena bar who makes the best cocktails in the resort, having worked in F&B before I know how hard it can be and these 2 were amazing. It was also welcomed to see the assistant manager walking around all the restaurants, we saw him checking the food and even helping to clear tables, fantastic.

I only have 1 small niggle - we requested a double bed upon booking and were told by Thomson the hotel had responded to this request. When we arrived our room had twin beds (not what we wanted on our honeymoon) we tried to sort this out and was told the room attendant would bring a double mattress which we were happy with as our room was by the relax pool as we requested. When he arrived at out room he pushed the beds together and smiled. He explained he couldn’t bring another mattress and that he had now made us a big bed! Not a huge deal I know but was a bit disappointing when we first arrived.

We had a fantastic time here and wouldn't hesitate to go back or recommend it to friends and family.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank kel500

Dear Valued guest,
Thank you for you kind comments, we do appreciate your feedback either way, It is the only way for us to improve. We are delighted that your stay with us was enjoyable. We all look forward to have you back in the nearest future. Kind Regards from all of us

Reviewed April 14, 2010

We stayed for 11 nights just before Easter (end March 2010). The weather was good – bit hot sometimes but not excessively so.

SERVICE

I found that without exception the staff at the hotel were all friendly and helpful. Some more so than others, but that’s life isn’t it, some of the guys and ladies were genuinely pleased to serve you. I found a few basic words of Arabic went a long way – especially when it was the my kids saying their ‘please and thank-you’s’ in Arabic!

I’ve read some stuff about tipping. My attitude towards tipping in hotels is not to unless exceptional service is provided. Perhaps that makes me a skinflint……. On the whole I felt the service at the hotel was very very good but because the staff were so friendly I didn’t often feel the need to tip. I saw little evidence of tipping, so if the whole tipping thing worries you then please don’t let it. If you feel the need to tip I think the preference would be in low denomination Egyptian pounds, but perhaps other people will have different views. Low denomination notes are hard to get hold of so £1 coins are ok but you may be asked to change them up into a £10 note as I was happy to do.

CLEANLINESS

Very good. Our room was cleaned / changed every day to a high standard. All communal areas (toilets etc) are all very clean and it was my impression that the loos were cleaned very regularly as whenever I used them they were spotless in all parts of the hotel.

FOOD & DRINKS

Ok the bars:
Caribbean Bar… great place for a quiet drink – has a lovely terrace attached which is a lovely place to watch the sun go down. The terrace also has a bar. The Caribbean bar is open 24x7.
The Pub…. 6 flat screen TVs showing a variety of sports throughout the day. They also do some great popcorn which spoiled my kids tea most evenings! The pub is open until 2am.
Terrace Bar… mentioned above – great place to relax.
Panorama Bar… somewhere to catch some sun and watch the world go by…serviced by the Caribbean bar / Pub.

All the above do food of some sort – snack based like cheese / tomato toasties, that sort of thing.

Pool Bars … all very good.

And the restaurants:
Kabagi – excellent for a snack lunch, rice, chips, grilled chicken, pasta & fish + salad. In the evening the menu extends to kofte kebabs, chicken shwarma and other middle eastern type food – all very good. No pre-booking required.
Leisure Pool Bar – same as Kabagi for lunch, closed for dinner
La Romantique – all dishes are extra here so I didn’t try this
Fisherman’s Restaurant – great for breakfast but extra charges may apply if you are not in a Superior room / suite. We ate dinner here the most as we found the combination of buffet salads and waitered service for main course to be the best option. You can eat here ‘all-inclusive’ or splash out on some nice looking fish such as lobster etc
Al Dente – the Italian – we ate here a couple of times and found the service too relaxed for us – we sat down at 730 and were rarely away before 930 – not a problem if it’s a romantic meal you want but with two young kids the service didn’t suit us. That said the food was excellent, all authentic Italian. Again there are some dishes not included as part of the all inclusive package if you want to splash out. At this point I have to say a massive thanks to Norah who was based on this restaurant as she helped us all learn a few words of Arabic. She was a star!
Blue Bay – the main restaurant which doesn’t require pre-booking. Its open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, food is self service with the waiting staff providing drinks and clearing tables etc. The selection was great – always something to please our appetites which are by no means adventurous.
Sea Breeze – Buffet style breakfast and lunch. Similar food to the Blue Bay but right next to the beach so perfect if you’re based on the beach.
Beach Bar – downstairs from Sea Breeze – drinks available all day and lunch as per Kabagi and the leisure pool bar.
Relax pool bar – didn’t eat here just popped in for a quiet drink when I managed to escape the kids for 30 mins.

If you’re wandering what drinks are included – its local beer and spirits plus branded soft drinks (Coke, Fanta, Sprite etc). In all of the bars & restaurants you can buy branded spirits. I found the local spirits something of an acquired taste and usually best mixed / hidden in a cocktail.

ENTERTAINMENT

I’ve already said that I have 2 kids aged 8 and 6 and I’ll split my feedback into 3:
1) Thomson Kids Club – very good but this was the teams 1st week, my 6 year old went twice, my 8 year old once.
2) Day time entertainment – very good – there’s a team of 12 or so permanent entertainers who are always running something – some fitness based, some fun based, all good.
3) Evening entertainment – started off with a kids disco / musical statues that sort of thing 2045 – 2130 – the kids seemed to enjoy it and it allowed the grown ups a bit of relaxation time. The evening shows were always a laugh. The hotel’s guests are multi-national so this should be borne in mind – added to the fun in my view.

POOLS / BEACH

Our kids loved them all so we tended to spend a day or two at each place. They loved the water slides and the snorkelling from the beach. The towel / pool guys are all really helpful. Sadly the usual sun-bed reserving games go on.. so make sure you’ve got yours reserved by 8am is my advice… if you can’t beat ‘em……..

TRIPS

We didn’t do any of the Thomson stuff – went on a glass bottom boat trip for £16/head which was very good. We also took the hotel bus into Naama Bay twice in the evening which was an interesting experience – we took the kids and felt quite safe but were careful not to get too involved in conversation with the shop guys. The hotel does three return trips into Naama a day one of these is free and gets booked up quickly.

STAFFING A LAST COUPLE OF THOUGHTS

On the day that we arrived another lady and her mother were checking in. This lady had a few days prior put a note on Trip Advisor to say they were coming back to the Reef Oasis … on check in they were greeted by the General Manager (Mr Lagos)… how’s that ! That goes to show that feedback on this site is read and acted upon. Another day I spotted Mr Lagos in The Pub one evening talking to the staff about making sure the Arsenal vs Barcelona match was going to be shown. Its probably a small point but I think its great that the GM is visible. I felt I could approach him if I needed to. I also noticed was the hotel management team regularly eating in the Blue Bay restaurant early evening, obviously a team meeting of sorts but gave me confidence that the staff were happy to eat in the restaurant too!

I’d also like to provide some constructive feedback…. Given that 4 of my party of 5 were staying in a room that meant we were entitled to have breakfast in the Fishermans Restaurant I had negotiated with the Thomson Rep that we all could do this for no extra charge. Sadly on 3 occasions I had to get this agreement re-confirmed with the duty manager, Angie the Thomson rep did a fantastic job each time in helping but I sensed that given the size of the hotel they couldn’t cope with this sort of informal arrangement. Basically as long as the ‘Greeter’ in the restaurant recognised us we were ok – if it was someone new we had to go back to reception and get Angie back on the case. It was a small point which probably wont affect anyone else but I don’t want anyone reading this to think that there isn’t room for improvement at the hotel. This was more a source of amusement for me than annoyance…..

FINALLY some information about us… stop reading if you’re not interested..

My wife and I stayed at the hotel with my two children, aged 8 & 6, and mother-in-law, who’s age I won’t reveal! We all have said to each other this was the holiday of a lifetime and we must come again… in fact I am just about to re-book for 2011.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank markah52

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your wonderful comments, we do appreciate it and we are delighted that your holiday was enjoyable, I will personally pass your compliments to all involved,It is obvious that you have enjoyed your stay as much as we did taking care of you. We are indeed delighted.

Reviewed April 14, 2010

I returned yesterday from a lovely stay at Reef Oasis Blue Bay Resort. What can i say....on arrival we were greeted by staff with drinks and cold cloths. We were then taken to our room on a buggy shortly followed by our suitcases. the room was large and the beds were very comfortable. we had a problem with out Patio window but by the time we had our meal it was fixed. the grounds are beautifully kept and all the staff work very hard to make you feel welcome. We travelled with my teenage daughter and i was a bit worried how a mainly male environment would affect her. but i had no need to worry as all the staff behaved very proffessionally towards her although the same couldn't be said in Naama Bay where we felt very intimidated! The restaurant and bar staff made our holiday. We were treated like we were very special and nothing was too much trouble. The food was excellent and there was even something for my very picky daughter to eat. The sea Breeze restaurant overlooking the sea serves yummy pizza on a lunch time. The cocktails served in the bars were excellent and i wasn't expecting them to be part of the all inclusive package. We went to Cairo for the day and there was stiil plenty of food for us to indulge on when we returned at 9.45pm . The Catering staff had exceptionally hygiene standards which was very reassuring. This hotel is very well run and i would encourage any one travelling to Sharm to stay here as it was fantastic.... and talkening to other holiday makers on our plane home the same couldn't be said about some of the other hotels. we hope to return in the near future. Thank you to everyone for our stay.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank bobbie99

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your wonderful comments and for spending your holidays with us. It is obvious that you have enjoyed your stay as much as we did taking care of you. We are indeed delighted.We all look forward to welcome you back in the nearest future. Warm regards from all of us